Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

Drag Radials

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys do realize that BFG was bought out by a French company quite sometime ago and they just continued to sell the tires under BFG for the name recognition. So just remmember when you buy BFGs where your money is going; to a country whose govenment has done its best to block American interests.

I'd rather support Japan then France..

From a performance aspect, however, I feel the BFGs are better at the track. I've done alot to get mine to hook and I really can't just floor it, I still have to baby it a little out of the hole, everyone at the track with BFGs hook a good amount better, but go through alot more sets!
Old 07-11-2004, 10:35 AM

Car: 87 trans am GTA
Engine: tesla permanent magnet
Transmission: 93 T-56
Axle/Gears: moser 12bolt w/ 3.73
for real guys ease up on the on the whole anti japanese stuff this isnt dec of '41 ok!.....they are just like us but with earlier ps2 releases.
good lets move on . about the closest to a comparision you'll get from GMHTP is the jan 2003 issue "top dogs bottm bucks" 11 bolt on lt-1 one cars battle it out for top honors the quickest car ran 12.39 on bald bfg's also had the 2nd lightest car of the bunch. with 11 cars you saw 4 tires et streets, bfg,nitto, & hoosier otp's . remember these are running at prepped track folks, not on some broke dick side street.
the nittos' were the only tire that did not pull best 60 ft times in the 1.6's , However they still managed a reported best on a couple of cars in the LOWW 1.71-1.75. i dont think says anything bad about the tire.
personally i've seen all of these tires excluding the et streets perform extrememely well and poor. i believe alot of blind faith is invested in tires these and that suspension dynamics are being over looked.
the most consistent tire of the shootout was the et street based on 60ft times.
also i dont think it is hardly a difference in tread width between the nitto and bfg.

i personally own et streets, there great but c'mon man they are slicks! they get the job done sat night but for every day use its kinda a joke. the MT streets actually pull better 60ft times than the et street and are remotely closer to being a radial than its predecessor.
so what does the ******* convention think of all this bull****..... listen up ladies dont bring a ****in' butter knife to a gun fight, got damn!
if you want to stick with no compromises get slicks or etstreets, if you wanna slamon cones ,pickup dryclean, & publix for the old lady on the way home from the races.... then get street radials.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:51 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have read the new M/T drag radials will hook better than both. As a matter of fact, in a CC article, they hooked better than ET Drags.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: projects.......
I have read the new M/T drag radials will hook better than both. As a matter of fact, in a CC article, they hooked better than ET Drags.
Read same article. They got a better '60 than they ever had w/ regular slicks. - I'm sure that depends on the set-up, but still...damb!
Old 07-13-2004, 02:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
You guys do realize that BFG was bought out by a French company quite sometime ago and they just continued to sell the tires under BFG for the name recognition. So just remmember when you buy BFGs where your money is going; to a country whose govenment has done its best to block American interests.

I'd rather support Japan then France..

From a performance aspect, however, I feel the BFGs are better at the track. I've done alot to get mine to hook and I really can't just floor it, I still have to baby it a little out of the hole, everyone at the track with BFGs hook a good amount better, but go through alot more sets!

let me guess.. you found this out thru a email.... i bet you mailed it to your friends too.

when everyone was hating on the french (and it still hasnt stopped completely) there was alot of crap posted online..

thats one of the stupid chain letters they sent around.

dont believe everything you read on the internet, and dont judge products by the location of the parent companys office.... judge it by what it is.

i dont care WHO makes the tire, i care about how it performs. peroid.

that said, BFGs are still made in the us, us jobs, blah blah ect... so even if that was true you arnt hurting "the french" anyway.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally posted by IROCFAST
yea, i read.

now re-read my first post in the thread.

my money still says 99% of the people on here will hook better with slicks.

btw, dont trust everything you read in car mags either... lol.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:15 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by MrDude_1
yea, i read.

now re-read my first post in the thread.

my money still says 99% of the people on here will hook better with slicks.

btw, dont trust everything you read in car mags either... lol.
I did read your first post. The setup never changed, the only thing that changed was the tires. I know that for most DR's the setup needs to be perfect. I have personally felt these M/T DR's heated up, and dam, they are sticky! Way more sticky than my BFG DR's ever were. Super Nova is far from a suspension wonder, Cal trac bars, SFC's and that is about it. I do believe these will give results near what an ET street does. Guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by MrDude_1

let me guess.. you found this out thru a email.... i bet you mailed it to your friends too.

when everyone was hating on the french (and it still hasnt stopped completely) there was alot of crap posted online..

thats one of the stupid chain letters they sent around.

dont believe everything you read on the internet, and dont judge products by the location of the parent companys office.... judge it by what it is.

i dont care WHO makes the tire, i care about how it performs. peroid.

that said, BFGs are still made in the us, us jobs, blah blah ect... so even if that was true you arnt hurting "the french" anyway.
If you are going to question my information you prolly should provide some opposing argument or facts other then "don't believe everything you read." Michelin, the largest tire company int he world, is located in France and bought out Uniroyal-Goodrich Tire Company, which sells tires under the BFGoodrich name, in 1990.

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/fr...que=19&lang=EN (SCROLL TO BOTTOM AND HIT 1990)

I agree the tires should be bought on how they perform but I was simply pointing out for others who were saying they are made in the us that their are owned and operated by coporate offices outside the country. Honda has plants in America that proviode American jobs just as Michelin does, but when you buy them your money goes overseas to the corporate offices. This whole blind "Buy American, Made in the USA" thing is a little ridiculous because there is just about as much outsourcing on American made vehicles today as there is on foriegn made vehicles, and just because its Made In America doesn't mean all, or even the majority of the money you spend on it, is gonna stay here.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: cleanest '86 sport coupe around!!
Engine: 355ci twin 66mm turbos on e85
Transmission: built rmvb th400 w/ t-brake
Axle/Gears: 3.23
for the price and the performance, its hard to beat bfg's!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want your car to hook on the street and you actually want SOME descent mileage out of them too, then the nittos are the way to go. I really like mine
Old 06-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
Originally Posted by 94-6spd
Nittos=Japanese made. Get the BFG's. Support USA.
Ok, as others have stated, BFG is not American and hasn’t been for a long time. BF Goodrich still exists as an American company, but if you go to their site they have a link to BFG tires off site stating that they don’t and haven’t made the tires for a while. Michelin does, and they are French based and if I remember right do a bunch of their development work in japan.

Nitto on the other hand is officially an American tire, based in California somewhere. The one thing I’m not sure about is that I know that they’re a small company and I don’t know what they do about production

As far as 305/40/16’s, M&H Racemaster has made that size for years in their muscle car dot sticky tire.

Lastly, as has been sort of implied, Nittos are by far the best street tire, they ride/handle like a normal radial, are quite drivable in the rain and you can get good mileage out of them if you’re religious about tire pressure on the street (I had a set that I got 22k miles out of and well over 300dragstrip passes that were bald but still working when I damaged one of them), I didn’t get as good mileage out of GSC’s or Kumhos on the same car. BFG’s hook harder but don’t last as long (I’d be surprised if ½ as long even if you are **** about it) and can be frightening on in the rain, and M&H are even more so in both categories.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

...bringing a good ole' post back from the dead...

- Anyone have any experiences with Hoosier's new DR? They've got 335/35/17's available which would go on my 11 wides really nice. I'd run the Mickey dr's, but so far only 17" available is a 275/40 - other wise it's back to the BFG's when the new chassis is done.

- also, I after tuning I managed a best of 1.66 on the nitto's, consistent 1.66-1.69. - Buddie's stang has gone 1.72 on the BFG's(330rwhp all motor 4.6 2v).
Old 06-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Supreme Member

Huh, no ****, who’d a thunk it:
Hoosier Tire

Unfortunaltly I haven’t seen them yet, they’re listed as new on the site and I haven’t heard any talk about them yet. Surprisingly, they’re the first DR that I’ve seen where the 275/50 isn’t miles wider then the 275/60, that actually makes sense to me. I’ll have to check, there’s an actual hoosier distributor that sells direct to the local racers about ½ an hour from me…

FWIW, there are a few locals knocking down low 1.5x 60’s on small nittos, 2 of them on f-bodies with 245/50/16’s, so that’s not all that incredible
----------

Last edited by 83 Crossfire TA; 06-06-2006 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '91 Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH350 built
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA
Huh, no ****, who’d a thunk it:
Hoosier Tire

Unfortunaltly I haven’t seen them yet, they’re listed as new on the site and I haven’t heard any talk about them yet. Surprisingly, they’re the first DR that I’ve seen where the 275/50 isn’t miles wider then the 275/60, that actually makes sense to me. I’ll have to check, there’s an actual hoosier distributor that sells direct to the local racers about ½ an hour from me…

FWIW, there are a few locals knocking down low 1.5x 60’s on small nittos, 2 of them on f-bodies with 245/50/16’s, so that’s not all that incredible
----------
I just put a set of the 275/50/15 Hoosier drag radial on my car this week. Im going to the 1/8 mile track near my house this Friday. Just driving around the street they feel pretty awesome. I putting about 250 HP to the rear wheels and run 13.3 in the 1/4. I dont think they are going to spin at all with just an all out launch. The treadware is rated at 040, compared to 100 with my old Nittos so I don't expept them to last more than 2000 or 3000 miles. I just drive my car to the track and an occasional meet or show so they will probably last a while that way. The Nittos were a big improvement over the street tires, but I still spun sometimes. The Hoosiers have a LOT less tread, just enought to be DOT legal.

Heres a pic
Attached Thumbnails Drag Radials-hoosiers.jpg  
Old 06-09-2006, 03:33 AM
Supreme Member

what size is that?

Post a follow up here when you have numbers...
Old 06-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Supreme Member

sweet! - Summit has the Hoosiers' listed, that where I found them. Prices seem to be erspectable for the type/size of tire. -
hummm. suprised to see that. The biggest thing I'm up against is zero tire squat. The 17's ain't havin' it. - Also, I know for 100% certainty that I would get better at my local track than what I saw at crapp-azz Speedworld. - That stang just munched a clutch doing a 5500 side-step to a 1.70. He's never been able to side step @ Orlando, and he's never been able to launch over 4k...
Old 06-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA
what size is that?

Post a follow up here when you have numbers...
Size is in previous post, 275/50/r15, the diameter is listed as 25.7 Inches

reaction 60' ET MPH
.0198 1.8735 8.4452 81.30
.1037 1.8575 8.3874 81.74

I had a run in the middle of those two where I shifted from first to third, Geez, I need a ratchet shifter. 60' was 1.8508 best of the evening, and I still ran a 8.53 which surprised me. 79.79 mph though.

They were fine on the freeway too. Looks like they are gonna wear out fast though. I don't think I can spin as long as I heat them up good, and am on a well prepped track.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Supreme Member

It's pretty hard to beat the Mickey Thompson Dragradials. Those things hook!
Old 06-12-2006, 04:38 PM

Car: 1992 25th Anniversary White W/ Red
Engine: Procharged 383CI/ Soon LS2 Turbo
Transmission: Manual 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4:11/Auburn Posi/Moser Axle
Ive heard from a number of people that nitto are crap the bfg's are the way to go. Support America!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Supreme Member

This is what I've heard from other people on a few occasions:

Nitto : don't hook as great, but are more stable on the top end of the track, and are better if you drive on the street more then the track.

BFG: Hook better then the nitto, but not as astable on the top end, fine for street

M/T: Hook the best out of them all, super super soft tire. Have heard mention of them balling up with more street then track use, never saw that in person though, just from reading on the net. Being that they are super soft they don't do well on more street then track duty, they will wear really quick.

M&H: Pretty similar to the BFG; and as a plus are the only drag radials out there that are 28" tall for a 17" rim (275/50-17 & 390/40-17) Also heard they run small in the width department compared to the others.

Goodyear: Pretty new, heard they hook great from one source, nothing on the longterm yet. Have an idea their going to be like the M/T's though.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 92KRVZ28
Ive heard from a number of people that nitto are crap the bfg's are the way to go. Support America!
you can't even get information right that is a few posts up in the thread... BFG is owned by the french, Nitto is american...
Old 06-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member

83 Crossfire TA - he's also calling the nitto's crap, just off of word-of mouth, not siting any experience. - Obviously he hasn't read through the thread.

as has been stated by people running these tires:
- Nitto - good street tire you run on the track
- BFG - good track tire you run on the street
- Mickey - great track tire you can run on the street
- Hoosier - to be determined......

Last edited by Shagwell; 06-13-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: a car being parted out
Engine: blown up
Transmission: in peices
uh never bought a foreign product...[/QUOTE]

ever buy a new repair part for your car?
you have bought foreign, as last I knew well over 90% of parts were outsourced to other countries for the cheap labor.
I agree that unions are sometimes good, but they have also pushed the wages so high that most the big companies have said to hell with it and outsource the labor overseas.
Then of course there is walmart that has broken just about every union person out there because they all shop at a place that refuses to let the union in.

Every buy half the fruit that is sold in american grocery stores?
you have bought foreign.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

Larry Dunlap - what do you have for suspension? - just trying to find a baseline....
Old 06-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Shagwell
Larry Dunlap - what do you have for suspension? - just trying to find a baseline....
Stock except for Spohn adjustable torque arm and crossmmber, and Spohn SFCS. I want to get lower control arms and relocation brackets, I think that will be enough for my car. I already have the WS6 package so the rest is pretty beefy.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Supreme Member

...I want to get lower control arms and relocation brackets,...
That would really help your 60fts. Made a world of difference in mine, as well as everyone else who's ever done them. My car is a factory WS6 as well, but I'm running eibach sportlines and homemade tq arm, lca's, and relocates.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:13 AM

Car: 91 Z-28
Engine: 420 sbc
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt/4.10 gears
I have run both the bfgs and the nittos. I've got the suspension setup to race. From my experience and how my car is set up, the nittos are absolutely crap compared to the bfgs. Street driving or drag racing they just spin like hell. I averaged 1.7X 60 fts with the bfgs and a good 5-10 second burnout. With the nittos it takes a minimum of 15-20 seconds to even begin to warm them up and my best 60 ft with them has only been 1.80 once. People say the argument is they last longer. How can that be true when you have to do twice the burnout for half the traction? They are both way beyond street tires. But if you really want to hook on a radial, dont even think about nittos.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:21 PM

Car: 83 z28
mickeys are the best hands down
Old 07-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Supreme Member

If an american company cannot build a superior product then they dont deserve my dollar.

Whoever builds the best product gets tha dolla. Its a very simple concept.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:02 PM

Car: '92 Toyota Pickup
Engine: 22R-E
Transmission: 5sp Manual
Axle/Gears: 4:??
Lol.(This isn't directed toward anyone) 99% of the people that call a company or a part American or "Jap Crap" are probably wrong and pulling things out of their ***.

I'm guessing that the majority of tire companies aren't truly American in the sense that you buying their product would help the US.... at all.

I personally believe in getting the best product regardless of where it's from.

??
Old 07-25-2006, 07:01 PM

Car: 87 Monte Carlo ss
Engine: ZZ4 1.5 rollers 650DP
Transmission: Probuilt 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 8.5 GN 3.42
I have had In this order: bfg drag radials,mickey et streets and mickey drag radial.If you drive alot on the street do not get mickey et streets or drag radials they won't last long!!!On the other had both mickey's hook better than the bfg's but I went almost 9,000 miles on them and I think the mickey's won't last past 4,000 miles.The bfg is the best for the buck in my view but alot of guys like nitto's. Either way all drag radials should get you at least a 1.8 60ft with good launching.