Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

Camaro + Hawks 17x9 GTA

Search this Thread

Old Today, 12:52 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70
Camaro + Hawks 17x9 GTA

Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone else looking for inspiration or thinking about it.

I figured this might be a slightly unusual combination with the red and gold, in some ways it looks better than I expected, sometimes I think otherwise. For right now I think it's brilliant, but I think I might get some 1/4 to 1/2 in spacers for the rears just to get them out from under the fenders just a little bit. The other small bummer is it's not very obvious I have LS1 brakes on the car anymore, or four wheel disc brakes. I definitely liked the big disc brake look (even though ls1 brakes arent that big).

In general I prefer IROC wheels, and 5 spoke wheels. But the very 80's aesthetic plus the very deep apparent dish of these sold me on it. And on that level they totally deliver. I didn't weigh them but they're definitely very light. That was the other reason, with the 17x9 IROCs listed at 27 lbs or so and these listed at 21, I figured they go over well at the autocross. The old ZR1s are 17x9 as well and also very light, but now I can get rid of the 2 inch adapters. Also props to Hawks for making Camaro center caps for these. They really sealed the deal. Should I try to get the black lug nut covers?

Last edited by InfernalVortex; Today at 01:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by InfernalVortex:
altiller (Today), ughmas (Today)
Old Today, 01:45 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: '90 Formula '88 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI 350 TPI
Transmission: T5 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt 3.27 9 bolt
Re: Camaro + Hawks 17x9 GTA

Looks great! I am looking forward to getting the same wheels once I get further in my swap, they are just awesome. I personally would have gone black with red but that's just my preference
Old Today, 03:25 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
Car: '87 FIREGOOSE!!!!

Looks really really good!
Old Today, 03:48 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

in general I agree, but I tend to dislike black wheels, and something about the black on these wheels makes the wheels look smaller to me. If they had a charcoal gray I'd probably have gotten that.

But red and gold is something you'd see a lot on classic racing Ferraris for example. Its not as common to see it together these days. But like half the race cars in the 80s seemed to have gold wheels. So I like it just because it's a little different and a bit of a throwback.

https://www.conceptcarz.com/images/C...DV-14-MH-1.jpg

https://images.hindustantimes.com/au...2675987739.jpg

https://stories.hemmings.com/wp-cont...rigin-8723.jpg

https://wallup.net/wp-content/upload...-4000x2667.jpg

Last edited by InfernalVortex; Today at 05:56 PM.
Old Today, 03:54 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 255 Likes on 190 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

Yes, I think the black lug nut caps will look better than the open lug nuts, and they'll go with the black center caps.

Painting the brake calipers is about the only thing you can do to try to highlight them. From the angles you're showing us in all of your pictures, they aren't visible behind either style of wheel, so we can't see if you've already painted them.

The 17" replica wheels were designed for the same front/rear fit, unlike the factory wheels, so these do stick out farther in the rear than the factory wheels. But if you needed and used the supplied spacers with the front wheels, then that might make the rear wheels appear slightly inset, but still only about half as much as the difference of the factory front/rear combination. Another pair of those same spacers in the rear would make up for the difference, if you think it's really necessary, but it looks find from here.
Old Today, 03:54 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: '89 Formula
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt

Looks great. What did you use for springs, or how are you getting the ride height?

Old Today, 04:09 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd
Yes, I think the black lug nut caps will look better than the open lug nuts, and they'll go with the black center caps.

Painting the brake calipers is about the only thing you can do to try to highlight them. From the angles you're showing us in all of your pictures, they aren't visible behind either style of wheel, so we can't see if you've already painted them.

The 17" replica wheels were designed for the same front/rear fit, unlike the factory wheels, so these do stick out farther in the rear than the factory wheels. But if you needed and used the supplied spacers with the front wheels, then that might make the rear wheels appear slightly inset, but still only about half as much as the difference of the factory front/rear combination. Another pair of those same spacers in the rear would make up for the difference, if you think it's really necessary, but it looks find from here.
I havent run a stock type front/rear set in ages. I've run square wheels for probably 10 years now so Im just not used to the way stock wheels sit anymore lol. I threw the adapters in the front just to be safe, but I have a feeling the LS1 brake rotors may be spacing out the front even further than intended. So that might be part of it. I read some reports on the nets about how even with brake upgrades and floating rotors they had some interference issues and all I can say is the brake caliper is EXTREMELY close to the spokes, so Im glad I did, but it may have had enough clearance without them.

Originally Posted by formularpm
Looks great. What did you use for springs, or how are you getting the ride height?
Ground Control weight jacks. Buy a set and never look back.