Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

Pics Of A 3rd Gen With Minilite-Style Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula WS6
Engine: L03 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt; 3.42 Posi
Pics Of A 3rd Gen With Minilite-Style Wheels?

Team 3 makes them: http://www.team3wheels.com/lt_iii.html

So does Vintage wheel works: http://www.vintagewheelworks.com/pro...els/v48/17x9.5

And PS Engineering: http://www.psvintagewheels.com/products.html

Has anyone put these (or any other Minilite-style wheel) on a 3rd Gen?

Does anyone know of anyone else who makes a Minilite-style wheel that fits our cars?

EDIT: 406TPI posted a link to the Bonspeed Racelite, so I'm adding it here. If more Minilite-type wheels are mentioned in the thread, I'mmput them up here, so all are in one place. Sort of like a Minilite-style wheel clearinghouse.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...ailable-in-2pc

Last edited by seanof30306; 07-01-2014 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Because that's how I roll
Old 06-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 560 Likes on 384 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45
Re: Pics Of A 3rd Gen With Minilite-Style Wheels?

That would interest me as well!
Old 07-01-2014, 03:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

I've always wanted to see an IROC on minilites...
Old 07-01-2014, 05:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: Magnacharged LS1
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 4:11's

Bonspeed just released a minilite wheel that would work. They make great quality wheels for the money.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:39 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
I've always wanted to see an IROC on minilites...
Yeah, me too.

I'm really picky about wheels. I don't like the looks of any of the FWD-looking wheels, I like a deep dish. I've been waiting and waiting for someone to make a GTA wheel in 17", but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I don't like the looks of any of the other deep-dish wheels I see other people putting on their cars .... not knocking them; it's just a matter of personal taste, and mine runs different than theirs.

The only other wheel I really like is a Minilite. The PS Engineering wheels are the best looking to me, but are the most expensive, too.

I'm at the point where I have to do something. I run Michelin Pilots on my car; 255/50-16s in the rear. The back tires are shot; one's dry-rotted so bad I'm afraid to drive it at all. I hate to put 16"tires on it when I want to go to 17" wheels, but I can't drive it at all now. I'm looking for a couple of decent used tires for the rear; we'll see what turns up.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:47 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 406TPI
Bonspeed just released a minilite wheel that would work. They make great quality wheels for the money.

That's an interesting looking wheel, but, in my opinion, they make the same mistake most wheel-makers make when they're making larger copies of existing wheels; they fail to consider scale. The spokes on that look much thinner than they do on an original Minilite. I'd bet they're probably the same width than those on a 15" Minilite, just extended for a 20" wheel. I'd want the scale of the spokes to remain the same, so the bigger the wheel, the thicker they'd need to be.

It's funny, because Minilite has apparently always known that. If you look at a 13" Minilite Wheel, and a 15", the spokes on the 15" are thicker than those on the 13". If you step back from it, the wheels have the same look.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:49 AM
Supreme Member

I thought Bonspeeds were pretty pricey, too?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:13 AM
Supreme Member

I dont think minilites will really look that great on a thirdgen. It's an interesting look, but I have my doubts about whether they can really pull it off. All of those "concave" wheels are custom made from chinese wheel parts and aren't TUV/JWL approved and have very little actual research or engineering put into them. That's why they say not for track use and they all say they're made in the USA anyway. They're just assembled here. You can tell they're all the exact same designs.

So that leaves you with 3 piece wheels from only reputable manufacturers. This means HRE, CCW, and a few others.

If you get a lesser known manufacturer I'd stick with a 1 piece wheel. It's harder to mess those up. The research i've done on a lot of these custom boutique wheel manufacturers is just pretty scary. These guys charge you up to $10k for wheels with ZERO R&D and engineering put into them.

If you can deal with heavy, XXR makes some interesting wheels with a pretty deep dish to them.

I also am a big fan of the Weld RTS wheels. The light weight and strength of what you get for the money is pretty incredible. They are 3 piece wheels that are welded together, so you can get them in custom offsets however you like.

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 07-02-2014 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:25 AM
Supreme Member

I dont think minilites will really look that great on a thirdgen. It's an interesting look, but I have my doubts about whether they can really pull it off. All of those "concave" wheels are custom made from chinese wheel parts and aren't TUV/JWL approved and have very little actual research or engineering put into them. That's why they say not for track use and they all say they're made in the USA anyway. They're just assembled here. You can tell they're all the exact same designs.

So that leaves you with 3 piece wheels from only reputable manufacturers. This means HRE, CCW, and a few others.

If you get a lesser known manufacturer I'd stick with a 1 piece wheel. It's harder to mess those up. The research i've done on a lot of these custom boutique wheel manufacturers is just pretty scary. These guys charge you up to $10k for wheels with ZERO R&D and engineering put into them.

If you can deal with heavy, XXR makes some interesting wheels with a pretty deep dish to them.

I also am a big fan of the Weld RTS wheels. The light weight and strength of what you get for the money is pretty incredible. They are 3 piece wheels that are welded together, so you can get them in custom offsets however you like.
As far as looks are concerned, I think it all comes down to personal taste. That's why I never criticize anyone's ride. We're enthusiasts, modifying our cars to suit our individual tastes; there is no right, or wrong.

As far as the engineering is concerned, all I can say in answer to that is, I know Vintage Wheel Works has been around for a long time. I've searched them, Tean 3, and PS Engineering, and have found no complaints. I'll definitely be doing more research as I get closer to a decision, but for now, there's nothing about any of the manufacturers I've listed that causes me concern.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:50 AM
Supreme Member

Hey, here's a nice set of GTA-style wheels, just 4 grand (+) for a set!

http://avantgardewheels.com/f140.php
Old 07-02-2014, 05:09 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by seanof30306
Hey, here's a nice set of GTA-style wheels, just 4 grand (+) for a set!

http://avantgardewheels.com/f140.php
$4k is pretty typical for a good 3 piece forged wheel. That's what my last set cost. The Bonspeeds I mentioned above can be had in a 2 piece welded construction which brings the cost down to around $2K. You can also get them in just about any backspace you want with widths up to 10". Anything wider and the cost goes up.
I absolutely loved my last set of Bonspeeds. Very high quality for the price.
While it wouldn't be my first choice, I think a minilite wheel would look great on a 3rd gen. It would certainly set your car apart from all the guys who run OE wheels and the other normal aftermarket stuff.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:19 AM
Supreme Member

What is the wheel on your car in your sig?
Old 07-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Supreme Member

As far as the engineering is concerned, all I can say in answer to that is, I know Vintage Wheel Works has been around for a long time. I've searched them, Tean 3, and PS Engineering, and have found no complaints.
These are not the companies you need to be worried about. Any company with a well known reputation is fine. These "custom wheel companies" in Miami/California that arent well known names are the ones you have to worry about. Almost all of the 'concave' wheels you see are this variety of untested, unengineered, made in China assembled in the US for the "MADE IN THE US" claim type of wheel. If you look through the various companies you'll see countless variations of the same designs across them all.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto...-should-i.html

Im sure some of them are okay... but I'd rather stick to well-known companies that have reputations, especially competition reputations.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Supreme Member

These are not the companies you need to be worried about. Any company with a well known reputation is fine. These "custom wheel companies" in Miami/California that arent well known names are the ones you have to worry about. Almost all of the 'concave' wheels you see are this variety of untested, unengineered, made in China assembled in the US for the "MADE IN THE US" claim type of wheel. If you look through the various companies you'll see countless variations of the same designs across them all.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto...-should-i.html

Im sure some of them are okay... but I'd rather stick to well-known companies that have reputations, especially competition reputations.
OhhhhKaaayyyyyy ........

I'm not getting how this thread became about those wheels, though. As far as I know, none of the wheels being discussed here are the ones you're talking about in the other thread, are they?
Old 07-03-2014, 06:23 AM
Supreme Member

OhhhhKaaayyyyyy ........

I'm not getting how this thread became about those wheels, though. As far as I know, none of the wheels being discussed here are the ones you're talking about in the other thread, are they?
What Infernal is saying, just be careful and do your research before plunking down your hard earned dollars. Nobody wants to see someone pay thousands of dollars for a junk wheel. Those imported concave Chinese wheels look killer, but they have proven to be very weak and often crack around the lug holes, mid spoke or even the rim flange when they are used for anything but cruising down to the local ice cream shop. Also, be aware of ANY wheel that puts fake rim bolts in. I would like to punch those companies in the face that do that.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 406TPI
What Infernal is saying, just be careful and do your research before plunking down your hard earned dollars. Nobody wants to see someone pay thousands of dollars for a junk wheel. Those imported concave Chinese wheels look killer, but they have proven to be very weak and often crack around the lug holes, mid spoke or even the rim flange when they are used for anything but cruising down to the local ice cream shop. Also, be aware of ANY wheel that puts fake rim bolts in. I would like to punch those companies in the face that do that.
What are the wheel on your car in the pic in your sig?