Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

American Racing wheels made in China? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355ci SBC
Transmission: TH700R4 - 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt
American Racing wheels made in China? WTF?

This may sound stupid to some of you but I'm the type that tries my best to buy only American. And having bought American Racing wheels before I never realized until today that they were made in China. Found out on tire racks website, was going to order the 17x8 Torg Thrust M with the polished lip. That really disappointed me because you'd think American Racing, with that name, being an American company and being a supplier for American Hot Rod Rims, would manufacture their products here in the USA.

What a sad day! I just can't put Chinese crap on my American sports car. And yes I know some of the parts that it was built with were made in Mexico and Canada. But still... I just can't do it!

Anyone else feel the same way or do you care less?

Old 01-08-2012, 03:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC-VERT
Engine: TPI 305
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.77
Re: American Racing wheels made in China? WTF?

Not a big deal bro! Almost everything is made in china. I know it sucks but hey we want cheaper costing stuff so we sacrifice quality pretty much.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:00 AM

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355ci SBC
Transmission: TH700R4 - 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt

Its not a big deal, just disappointing I guess. Other companies such as flowmaster are still making products here in the states so at least thats a good thing. It is what it is though...
Old 01-08-2012, 04:18 PM

Car: 1990 Formula Firebird
Engine: 350 (5.7) TPI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 POSI

Never buying American Racing rims now.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 97 LT1 W/ Alot of goodies.
Transmission: 4L60E W/ Yank SS3600
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt BW

Ha, Looks like you won't be buying from many popular wheel brands.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:22 PM

Car: 91 Z28 5.7
Engine: 5.7 L98
Transmission: A/T 700
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Dear Utfan01SS, you are looking at this all wrong about things being made in China. Only America have the ability to buy and send contracts to other countries to be made for manufacturing purposes. Its to increase profit margin, since the labor else where is so cheap. Is it not enought to just live in america, the free world, and have the options to buy and sell labor as we choose. We are the fortunate ones, buying toys and building them up as we see fit. I had a Porsche carrera, a very nice Porsche, dumped at least 30k into it for fun. But I never loved it. I just bought a 91 Z28 5.7 TPI. It's a much older car, the paint is faiding, has a slight hesitation from start, It doesn't run like a Porsche, but I ****en loved this car. Can't explain it. Don't be annoyed that the American Racing rims that you are about to purchase is made in China. Who cares, if you love it, you paid for it, then it's completely yours.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:09 PM

Car: !984 Z28
Engine: 350

i see your point but then again not a big deal dude. ALOT of things are made over there
Old 01-09-2012, 05:23 PM

Car: 91 Z28 5.7
Engine: 5.7 L98
Transmission: A/T 700
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I was thinking of upgrading my rims too. I wanted to get it as big and wide as possible without making look stupid. I saw (thesickness) put iroc rims on, 18s in the front and 20s in the back, but the width are all 8 inches. I curious as to how wide we can put on the back with out any rubbing. I was thinking 20x9.5 in the back? Anyone out there have any suggestion as to this rubbing the Q panels let me know. Or should I go with 19x9.5 in the back?? Sure would love the staggered look.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1993 GMC Typhoon
Engine: 4.3 Turbo
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by utfan01ss

What a sad day! I just can't put Chinese crap on my American sports car. And yes I know some of the parts that it was built with were made in Mexico and Canada. But still... I just can't do it!

Anyone else feel the same way or do you care less?

so.. its ok to have Mexican people make parts but not chinese people? hate to break it to you, but half the electronic parts and replacement parts for our cars and other GM vehicles, are chinese made.

What about Japanese parts? or Taiwan? Hell some of the replacement parts are even made in India..

Fact is, A LOT of US companies have factories over seas and even though the company is based in America, other countries make the parts. I think its odd you single out china..
Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

IDK, i dont have quality issues with parts made in Mexico, Japan, Korea, India, Germany, Taiwan, ect. Most things made in China seem to be total **** from my experience. tools, car parts, equipment and materials i use at work sometimes ect. Anything made from "steel" is always soft, i usually call it "forged tin foil"....
Old 01-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?

think about it , one reason or national debt is where it is , out source of most everything . i know that many times we don't have a choice . i do try and buy "AMERICAN" every time i can . most people that read this are much , much younger than i am . to all you younger "rectal orfice's" , buy american or we will soon be owned by CHINA . just my thoughts , not a slam . good luck .
Old 01-09-2012, 07:46 PM

Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: ZZ3

I just watched a show about super factories and every single Dodge Challemger hemi engine is made in Mexico.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

welcome to our modern world,where every product is made of "chinesium" where our car parts get discontinued or worse some jackass thinks its ok to change the design of things we need to keep our 3rd gens alive.its a sad day
Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

go look at the quality of chinese goods,or the alarming lack of quality as it were.not fair to single them out? well if they would just stick to the original OE design .it wouldnt be as bad.if they had any semblance of QUALITY CONTROL it wouldnt be so bad ....but they do neither.go buy your kids christmas presents and watch them be junk right out of the box.go to wallyworld and buy your clothes,see how long they last.the list goes on and on .i think there should be a moritorium on ALL chinese goods UNTIL they get it .WE dont want their trash
Old 01-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 87' IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56

There are plenty of wheel companies that still make wheels in the US. However they are almost all higher end and beyond the budget of your average third genner.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 PM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 4th gen..3.23 posi

it IS a big deal....while i understand that we buy stuff everyday that is made in china and we save money by doing so, look at our unemployment numbers. it is more than a big deal
Old 01-14-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: '89 Formula WS6
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4/T56
Axle/Gears: BW 3.23

Hell most of the mines in the U.S. are owned by foreign companies. So even if we make our own stuff, we are paying another country for the privilage of buying back our own resources.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 377
Transmission: TH350; Circle D 4200 converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"

Originally Posted by UNCLE TOM
think about it , one reason or national debt is where it is , out source of most everything . i know that many times we don't have a choice . i do try and buy "AMERICAN" every time i can . most people that read this are much , much younger than i am . to all you younger "rectal orfice's" , buy american or we will soon be owned by CHINA . just my thoughts , not a slam . good luck .
No, a big reason why we have a national debt is because we have so many programs out there for all the lazy worthless Americans that want freebies and handouts "because it's not fair" that everyone doesn't have anything they want without working. Business buying chinese parts isn't strictly through china. Infact, BECAUSE we import from them - more jobs are gained (albeit different kinds of jobs depending on what it is). Want quality? You'll still have those places, and you'll still pay premium prices for them (like Lunati's forged stuff, for example). The only places that will be going out of business are the ones that aren't smart enough to keep up with the market's interests. My company that I work for has had to do the same thing. We sell chinese/taiwan parts for our stuff, but all custom work and inspection is done by us to ensure proper quality standards and installation practices. We've had to adjust how we do things, but we're doing well - if not better than we have ever been.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:19 AM

Car: 91 Bird
Engine: TPI 350
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi

Lets not forget the bigger reason many manufacturing jobs go overseas - the EPA and its stupid rules for doing business in the US (not the rules necessarily for cleanliness). Pay is not that big of a deal in many cases because the amount of personel is relatively low compared to output. Making clothes is labor intensive so pay will be an issue. Chemical plants have relatively lower people to output so they move to get away from the EPA.

But I cringe at buying chinese and mexican parts. Its a crap shoot. There is no quality control in many factories, but some US companies do that OWN a factory in these countries do force quality control. If the chinese company is chinese owned is when you REALLY get less QC.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:39 PM

Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 383 / Money Pit
Transmission: Lt56
Axle/Gears: S60 4.56 12 bolt

I agree with FNFAL.. EPA is the biggest reason for manufaturing out of the us.. You want jobs to come back to the U.S?? Then someone in our government needs to ban anything that is imported into the U.S. that does not meet the EPA Manufacturing Standards that we must abide by and the jobs will trickle right back to the U.S. just my 2 cents..
Old 01-27-2012, 07:13 PM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 357 StealthRam
Transmission: Professionally rebuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt limited slip

I love working on my car and seeing the MADE IN USA clearly stamped many of the components. Don't get to see that too often these days. I know a Chinese part has probably weaseled its way in without me knowing it but I make a concerted effort not to buy anything that I think compromises the "spirit" she was born with. It's so sad though that our country has just handed over all that we have worked and fought for over the past 100 years just to make a quick buck. Our fathers and grandfathers invented the hotrod and musclecar and all of the great names that we have come to know and trust. Doesn't anyone care about reputation at all or am I the sucker who's gonna lose to the shark who would sell his own sister to them bastards.

Last edited by 87SLEEPER; 01-27-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:35 PM

Car: 86 Camaro, IROC springs & bars
Engine: Mild 350,Q-jet,headers
Transmission: M-21, 12#flywheel
Axle/Gears: 98 7.5, 3.73 torsen.

Don't beat up on Chinese stuff to much, remember most of these products come from US companies manufacturing in China, some of there products are really good like Guild guitars. Guild opened a facility & trained there Chinese employes how to properly produce there product.

And don't think those Made in the USA stickers mean squat, some 4WD companies sell there lift kits, Japanese spring steel, formed into leafs in Mexico, shipped to the US where we install the bushings, center bolt & clamps-MADE IN USA.

When it gets down to it the Chinese are better capitalists than we are, ain't that a pisser!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:01 PM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 357 StealthRam
Transmission: Professionally rebuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt limited slip

You are right. MADE IN USA doesn't mean these days what it used to back in 1987 when my care came out of the Van Nuys California assembly line. I agree that the overseas manufacture's are feeding our need for cheaper and cheaper goods. All things in life have a cost though. I struggle to see how we can last as a nation as strictly consumers without producing as well? It's all on credit I guess. Has anyone noticed that there taxes are climbing lately? China wants to collect what we owe. How much are we willing to give out of every paycheck to keep this affair going.

EDIT: Technically the car rolled off the assembly line in 1986.

Last edited by 87SLEEPER; 01-27-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 PM

Car: 89 Camaro IROC
Engine: 350 Vortec W/ 305 heads
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Nothing good yet...

Hell, have you looked at the back of Craftsmen power tools lately? they are made in china. from what i have read all of the hand tool line will be as well within the next 5 years. Matco tools and blue point sold by snap on are being produced in china (except for the everyday hand tool line). i hate to see a American tradition being hijacked by other countries. i would rather pay a little more to know my neighbor has a job than to get half quality stuff for a little cheaper.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:47 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro IROC-Z
Transmission: GForce T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi

Know what's funny?
I just recently purchased 4 chrome iroc rims from ebay.
3 of them have 'made in china' stamped in the back, but the 4th one has 'made in usa'.
Wish all four were made in usa, but at least they're identical.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn

Made in the USA may be patriotic but not sure it is an indication of "Quality". Remember the new Camaro is made in Canada.

If you went into NAPA and asked where all their replacement parts came from, would they say Made in the USA?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:29 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro IROC-Z
Transmission: GForce T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi

Originally Posted by The Project
Made in the USA may be patriotic but not sure it is an indication of "Quality". Remember the new Camaro is made in Canada.

If you went into NAPA and asked where all their replacement parts came from, would they say Made in the USA?
That's true.
I guess at least in my situation, I'll be able to do a head to head long term comparison.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:32 PM

Car: 86 Camaro, IROC springs & bars
Engine: Mild 350,Q-jet,headers
Transmission: M-21, 12#flywheel
Axle/Gears: 98 7.5, 3.73 torsen.

I can give one example of NAPA parts, I purchases C-5 ZO6 (13") premium rotors for my 85 Camaro, in this case that means they are made in ether Canada or the US, my price was $47.00, the stock 85 (10.5") rotors are $46.00.

Just remember what NAPA stands for, No Auto Parts Available. All joking aside what irritates me is parts availability, I needed a new starter drive (bendix) for my 67 Chevy 1 ton with a 350, now the only way to get one is to purchase a starter rebuild kit which has the bendix, solenoid, brushes, & bushings for $47.00. Or you can buy a rebuilt starter for $39.00. Nonsense in my book.