Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

To paint or Not to paint,Whats your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88' White-Black Trans Am
Engine: Trying to find a motor
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23
To paint or Not to paint,Whats your opinion?

My buddy has a project 1986 Camaro. Years ago,he got a set of Cragar SS wheels off a buddy for like 200 bucks. Theyve been on his car forever now and he decided he wants Iroc rims on his car. He was just going to throw the rims out because of rust. Its really not that bad, Nothing a little elbow grease cant remove. So i wanted to keep my front Trans Am Crosslace rims on the car and put the Cragars on the back (Not even sure if im getting them yet but we will see)The wheels on the back are on bigger tires(Not sure of size) And theyre deep dish,14 inch. Heres a picture of them brand new,they dont look half this good http://www.v8americancarclub.com/ima...ragar%20ss.jpg

So i was thinking,would it look better if i painted just the spokes black to match the front rims on my car? Or should i just polish them the best i can?
I mainly love the back tires becuase they stick out past the wheel well,without spacers
Here it is
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...4_905221_n.jpg

I know in THIS picture they look really nice, trust me after sitting there for about 4 years now,theyre not pretty. But as u can see,the rear wheels stick out more than my 50's do
What are your guy's opinions?
-DylanN
Old 07-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 377
Transmission: TH350; Circle D 4200 converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"
Re: To paint or Not to paint,Whats your opinion?

Polish. It'd be different if they were really banged up and you had flaking going on, but those look fixable. Don't paint unless you have to.. not that it's bad, but you do need to take care of painted rims, obviously.. especially if you use the expensive stuff, and not just rattle-can it.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone
Re: To paint or Not to paint,Whats your opinion?

well if you like the sticking out look. which I dont. id try to polish them up and see how they come out if its unsatsifactory then i'd go the painting route