Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

Gas Saver tire valve caps

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Anyone try these out yet?

I got them on my car now. Gave a few sets away.
For the $5 they cost, if they do work as shown.
Ill be happy not needing to check my air psi as often.
They also got some more fancy kind for like $9 but I’m not that confident yet.

They come in two ranges a #36, which have a range of 36-31 psi, anything lower then 31 psi and the things pops down and turns red.

Also got #32 that have a 32-27 psi range, anything under 27 psi…..

I bought the 32s by accident not paying attention.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:40 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 136 Likes on 114 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: Gas Saver tire valve caps

They're for people too lazy to use a $2 tire pressure gauge once a week. If you're going to take the time to walk around the car to look at the valve caps, it's just as easy to use a gauge and actually check the tires. How about just checking the tire pressures every time you fill up with gas?
Old 07-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Supreme Member

I dunno every time ya check with a gauge you lose a bit of air, no matter how careful. Also any less bending I can do in a week, even that little bit less will make it[ my back] happy.

Last edited by Gumby; 07-11-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock

what happens if you are over the max? drive through the desert and you will top out pretty fast. do they let air out automatically? not a good thing.

but might be ok for the little womans ride - on second thought she cant figure out why that little gas pump lights up on her dash, or why the car makes noise when she locks it and it took a while to let her know the lights were on.

not a bad idea for some people - but my wife would think the green looked "kinda cute" and never tell me about it.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they never let air out or do much of anything if ur overinflated but they r handy if you often forget to check tire pressure. can save u a few bucks at the pump in theory they look dorky tho
Old 07-11-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Actually, I fill the tires with helium and the lighter weight saves on gas. It really is the only way to go.

RBob.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by RBob
Actually, I fill the tires with helium and the lighter weight saves on gas. It really is the only way to go.

RBob.
Thats an old rodders trick, connect and seal all the tube of a racing cage then fill with helium. Though some say a vacuum is better, a lack of stuff is better then light stuff.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by tony_cogliandro
what happens if you are over the max? drive through the desert and you will top out pretty fast. do they let air out automatically?
I dunno, overinflation is not a worry in these parts.
The ones that cost more look to have a dial on em of sort dunno what they do.

I don't expect to save gas, just bending over to check all the time.
I can doa quick look n know im in an ok range.
I keep up on my airs n fluids often, give it a visual before I head out, test lights out in the dark every few weeks. Give a cop a reason to stop ya....... it will happen when ya least want it.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:41 PM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by Gumby
Thats an old rodders trick, connect and seal all the tube of a racing cage then fill with helium. Though some say a vacuum is better, a lack of stuff is better then light stuff.
Ah, but we all know that a reduction in rotating mass is better then a reduction in static mass. Besides, a little vacuum in a tire and it ends up being flat on one or more sides...

RBob.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:11 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 136 Likes on 114 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

The claim that it will "save gas" is because you get better fuel mileage with properly inflated tires.

Helium won't work. The molecules are too small and will leak right through the rubber just like a helium filled balloon will deflate in a couple of days. A better substance for tire inflation is 100% nitrogen. No moisture in the air means little to no pressure changes as the tire heats and cools.

As for the roll cage, Drag bikes usually do it and some custom hot rods with air suspension. They seal the roll cage, bike frame or tubular car frame then fill it with compressed air.

With air suspension, it's a convenient way to make an air tank without actually having an air tank taking up room. With a roll cage or bike frame, having a small gauge installed can tell you if there's any cracks. Bikes will also use the frame as an air tank for an air shifter.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro iroc-z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

Originally Posted by Stephen 87 IROC
The claim that it will "save gas" is because you get better fuel mileage with properly inflated tires.

Helium won't work. The molecules are too small and will leak right through the rubber just like a helium filled balloon will deflate in a couple of days. A better substance for tire inflation is 100% nitrogen. No moisture in the air means little to no pressure changes as the tire heats and cools.

As for the roll cage, Drag bikes usually do it and some custom hot rods with air suspension. They seal the roll cage, bike frame or tubular car frame then fill it with compressed air.

With air suspension, it's a convenient way to make an air tank without actually having an air tank taking up room. With a roll cage or bike frame, having a small gauge installed can tell you if there's any cracks. Bikes will also use the frame as an air tank for an air shifter.

whats nitrogen run nowadays? i think costco will fill up your tires with it for like 10 bucks a tire, or something like that. if thats the case, you will be saving gas, because your wallet will be lighter.

either way nitrogen isnt the way to go either, the cost of it doesnt out way the benefits. a properly checked and inflated tire with regular air will be fine, since studies have shown that nitrogen inflated tires didnt really hold their pressure much longer than regular air.