V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Headers/Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 12:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 95 E-150 & 07 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Engine: A slow one & a fast one
Transmission: A bad one & a good one
Axle/Gears: A weak one & a chained one
Headers/Turbo

Beware my onslaught of posts! Sorry, just full of questions again. Ok, I forget who, but I know someone here has an original set of 3rd gen headers and that they are or plan to machine and sell copies...who? I need a nice set! And second off..I keep hearing little mentions of turbos on our 3rd gens and I ask...how? I know there aren't any kits available, but are there any turbos that can be made to work for a 3.1 V-6 without tearing the engine apart? And with limited modification? Cause frankly, I don't trust the turbo shops around here, particularly after one told me my compression wasn't HIGH ENOUGH to run a turbo! HA!
Old 03-29-2002, 11:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 13 Ram 1500/ 78 Formy
Engine: 5.7 / 7.4
Transmission: 6sp / TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.55 posi / 3.23
camaro_hunter_d is the header machine. as for what turbo fits, a good rule of thumb is get one that matched or clsely matched your displacement. The turbo I have is from a 2.3 litre ford. I just gotta keep the psi under control since the cr on those motors was like 8 or so, & the FI 6 is about 9. definately will be running the inexpensive premium gas on it.

compression to low to run a turbo
Old 03-29-2002, 11:37 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the name.. And yeah....yep, ya gotta bring the compression up for the turbo, so it can cram even more in there. You know, you can get another second shaved off your 1/4 mile time through melted pistons. And the holes in your hood that your rods make flying out help with aerodynamics. So..you're telling me you have a turbo from a 2.3 liter Ford, on your..I'm guessing 85 MPFI 2.8 Firebird, right? And it works..but you're running stock compression so you're keeping the PSI low. Could you run that turbo at full PSI if you dropped your compression into the 7's? Used or new turbo? Installed yourself? I'm looking for prices...I can afford maybe another $1000 on top of this...barely more than that though. And that's pushing it..that's saving a lot non-stop, no small side projects or purchases. But how cool is it to see a car go down the street and hit 2nd gear with a hiss. Can't beat that blow-off from a turbo. How many people have a turbo F body? Not many. That's the cool part. Well, now off to contact Camaro_Hunter_D and see how much he's asking. He has a monopoly on the industry but hopefully he's a decent guy about it..lol.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:50 PM
Supreme Member

it's not on yet, I plan to get the MSD 6 BTM to deal w/ the ignition hassles.
Do a search on chd. He has a kit planned out w/all that's needed. I'm going a slitely diff route, but same destination. And yeah, 7-8 psi has to be the absolute max w/out lowing comp. I'm looking for 6-7 full,. will probabbly need a dial-a-boost to keep the psi under control.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:06 AM
Supreme Member

Chd is his username? Not getting any matches... I didn't know ignition had involvement with a turbo...I'm guessing you have to fiddle with your timing and just replace the stock ignition with something better?
Old 03-30-2002, 12:21 AM
Supreme Member

camaro_hunter_d pics of headers

pics of the turbo

Start the party

no more free searches :nono:
Old 03-30-2002, 12:46 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks bud... And I'm a friggin idiot. Ok, close to one. It's 1:45 and I'm reading about turbochargers and header aerodynamics..gimme a break! Lol. I thought you meant Chd as a username, not an abbreviation for Camaro Hunter D. I've seen the guy around a lot. I gotta finish reading about the headers. I thought they used to make headers for our cars but stopped...so I assumed all CHD was doing was duplicating the originals. Maybe he was trying to but with limited equipment, I don't know..but that's all re-engineering there. Hopefully they come out flowing pretty nice. Sounds like it.
Old 03-30-2002, 01:55 AM
86bird_28v6_5spd_ramair

Anyone ever though of not using headers and adapting the turbo back under the car, maybe give up some of the passenger floor. Put the turbo where the stock headers come together and just run it all the time with not waste gate. Just make sure everything get clean air inside but being down below it could be in more of the air stream and you could then forget an intercooler.

Just a wacky idea
:lala:

www.ViragoTech.com [new]
Old 03-30-2002, 09:02 AM
Supreme Member

I allready did a posst on that. upon further review (200 billion replies against it & justifications), decided not to do it. Also looked @ the turbo& found not enough room for it. A blazer, on the other hand, does have the ground clearence. I think 1 person did mount it underneath though.
Old 03-31-2002, 02:18 PM
Banned

sorry I was in Las Vegas for a week. just got back last night. Yes I am working on a turbo set up for our cars. Yes I am woking on plain jane headers for our cars.

I am looking for 6-7 PSI without lowering comp ratio. And looking to gain about 50 HP with it. I am lookng at picking the project back up shortly. I have the turbo, and am lookng at buying a BOV(Blow Off Valve) required for manual cars, and still lookng at Ebay for misc parts. IE Intercooler.