V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

man this just ruined my day!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man this just ruined my day!

well as i left school today, my belt started squeeking horribly bad, and then as i pulled into this parking lot my power steering went out! i got out and checked it and my belt was off and to skipp a long long story, my power steering braket had snapped and my power steering pumped just hung there by the hoses attached to it, well after searching part stores we finally decided to weld it and it held up good enough to get it home and everything, but i wanted to know has this happened to anyone else and its this a common ocuernce and about how muc does the dealer ship sell these for? thank you
Old 03-12-2002, 09:48 PM
Banned

Goto junk yard. I bet one of the bolts broke. Have fun drilling it out. I have not heard of thirds having this particular prob though. You could also try www.car-part.com call some of the places that have the P/S Pump and ask for the bracket not the pump.
Old 03-13-2002, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: man this just ruined my day!

Originally posted by lykwiphyde
well as i left school today, my belt started squeeking horribly bad, and then as i pulled into this parking lot my power steering went out! i got out and checked it and my belt was off and to skipp a long long story, my power steering braket had snapped and my power steering pumped just hung there by the hoses attached to it, well after searching part stores we finally decided to weld it and it held up good enough to get it home and everything, but i wanted to know has this happened to anyone else and its this a common ocuernce and about how muc does the dealer ship sell these for? thank you
They had a guy a few months ago or so on here that had a cracked bracket and was making it vibrate bad and make a noise .I dont think its a commen occurence , but it has happened . Id try the boneyard first , and look at it real good before you head out of the yard with it , make sure it does not have any hairline cracks in it . Try a parts store , but I bet thats a dealer item .Goodluck !
Old 03-13-2002, 09:06 PM

ok i went to the junkyard today and they guy said he would take 20 bucks for one, i didnt have neough money so i will get it tomarrow, they guy told me that its a real common occurence for that braket to break on camaro's firebirds and S-10's, i tried all the local part stores and one guy talked to me like i dont know d**k about cars, he talked to me with a real sarcastic tone it made me made and then they didnt even have it! but tomarrow i will go to the junkyard and get it. and ill prolly put it on tomarrow to. ill let you guys know how it goes. thanks for the help!
Old 03-14-2002, 06:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
G-damn, $20 for a bracket? Wow.
Old 03-14-2002, 07:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TomP
G-damn, $20 for a bracket? Wow.
that does seem high . I think people try to take advantage of young people sometimes . young meaning highschool age from late 20s ...Im 23 . Yeah , everyone gets taken advantage of sometime , but sometimes I think people think its easier to take advantage of the younger people .
Old 03-14-2002, 11:07 PM

yea i have to agree, im 16 but i mean i grew up under the hood of a car, my dad was one of those guys who rarly took his car anywhere to ave it worked on ad i was always helping him with everything, and i payed $500.00 for my car. the interior was horible, it had a bad tranny, bad tires. and a few other minor things but my and my dad put a th700r4 in it, in the driveway, i fixed the interior up and about a week ago i bought a electric buffer and buffed all that oxidation out of it and i mean i know quite abit about that car so i mean im not clueless, i just really hate that guy up at orilys auto. my best friend is restoring a 66' mustang and we are lways up there and he is the same way to him. but when i was like i need a PS pump bracket for my bird he walked over to the aftermarket altenator brackets they have and he was like i guess we dont have any, i thought to myself well no sh** the bracket for my altenator didnt break. persoanally i dont see how that guy got the job there, but anyway.