V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Anyone offer a lesson in vacum lines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone offer a lesson in vacum lines?

well, its easily said i have learned so much over the last few years while owning my 'bird and visiting this forum...so i have a question about something that i was never really quite sure where they were located of what they did.

vacum lines.....ok, from what i read they can cause a lot of probelms if they break, fall off....etc. now, i think i know where to find them. are they those thin (maybe 1/8") black placitic tubes that run in, out, and around the plenum?? if they are, then i think i know what they are. but how many are there?? and what do they do? where do they create the vacum?? etc....

thanks for whoever responds, i have been wondering this for a while.....
Old 02-13-2002, 09:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There not only the plastic ones .But alo rubber hoses .The ones that hook up to your Charcoal canister are vacumn .There easy to change , sometimes you just strain your guts out to get one off .If your car is in need of new vacumn hoses , it will run so much better after you change them .You should have a diagram near the underneeth the front part of the hood , displaying the vacumn hoses .I think its even called the "Vacumn hose diagram"...goodluck
Old 02-13-2002, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

The engine is a vacuum cleaner.
It creates a sucking system.
The hoses pass around the vacuum signals to various components to make them operate on cue.
Go to the GM dealer. Buy the parts guy a soda, ask him for the illustrated printout of the PVC system for your engine.
Use 5/16" windshield wiper hose to fix platice breaks. Use 1/2" heater hose at the one at base of distributor (driver side).
This plastic hose stuff in no longer available.
In my search for answers, like your question (during swap mission,) I discovered 1985 V-6 is a one year stand alone design.
Wayne is 100% correct in his answer, too.
PS, install a vacuum gauge on your ride.
Best gauge you can invest in for your car. Promise.
Every car of mine has one or will or is planned not installed, yet.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Anyone replace the ones going to the charcoal fuel vapor canister? Mine seem to be decaying; if you rub my finger on 'em, the outer covering of the hose leaves a black mark on me that's a btch to wash off. Looks like I could just use regular 'ol fuel line. Anyone do it?
Old 02-13-2002, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TomP,

Yeah I have done it. It is a prety standard size. I can't remember the size off the top of my head. I just yanked one in the parking lot of the parts store and brought it in with me. Then matched it up and cut a length of bulk vaccum line.
Worked just fine.
Old 02-18-2002, 01:26 AM
Supreme Member

Engine: LH0 3.1L
Originally posted by TomP
Anyone replace the ones going to the charcoal fuel vapor canister? Mine seem to be decaying; if you rub my finger on 'em, the outer covering of the hose leaves a black mark on me that's a btch to wash off. Looks like I could just use regular 'ol fuel line. Anyone do it?

I've recently replaced a few hoses. My line going down to the Air Manegement Valve had a fat hole in it. Anyway, most cars use either 5/32 or 7/32 vacuum hose(not including stuff like the brake booster vac. line). Just go to your local parts store and pick some up.