V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Torque Converters , can't find one AND I NEED IT !

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 12:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Torque Converters , can't find one AND I NEED IT !

Well my injectors arent too much a problem anymore , not right now atleast ! My torque converter is making my car shake again .So I need to go ahead and order one .I am looking for one only 300-600 increase in rpms over stock .I need a 10 inch , 30 spline one .I dont know whether to get the lockup or non lock up ? Any suggestions guys ? Thanx !
Old 01-28-2002, 01:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 13 Ram 1500/ 78 Formy
Engine: 5.7 / 7.4
Transmission: 6sp / TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.55 posi / 3.23
If you want the full benifits of overdrive, i.e. better fuel economy at cruise, get non-lockup convertor. Lockup came with your car, & should be replaced with same.

Last edited by Project: 85 2.8 bird; 01-31-2002 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:01 PM
Supreme Member

ttt:lala:
Old 01-28-2002, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Project: 85 2.8 bird
If you want the full benifits of overdrive, i.e. better fuel economy at cruise, get non-lockup convertor. Lockup came with your car, & should be replaced with same.
thanx man !
Old 01-28-2002, 06:18 PM
Supreme Member

Wayne,
Least expensive
proper alternative
get a remanufactured stock convertor INSTALLED for you.
HOW DO YOU KNOW YOUR CONVERTOR IS GIVING YOU THE SHAKES?
Check your replies with the tranny side, they really know their stuff.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:59 PM
Supreme Member

my bad, I meant GET LOCKUP CONVERTOR to get full benifit of overdrive tranny.

Maybe I should start preveiwing my responss first
Old 01-28-2002, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by KED85
Wayne,
Least expensive
proper alternative
get a remanufactured stock convertor INSTALLED for you.
HOW DO YOU KNOW YOUR CONVERTOR IS GIVING YOU THE SHAKES?
Check your replies with the tranny side, they really know their stuff.
Karl ,
Remember last year when I had the shakes .Well I took it in to the shop and they said it was the converter but they said it might stop if we changed the tranny fluid first .They also told me if it starts shaking again , you have to get a new converter .That was in Oct it was changed . I have not put that many miles on it sence .So its the same shake , does it at the same time and everything . So Im shopping for a converter . I want one thats just 300-600 rpm over stock .
Old 01-29-2002, 07:46 AM
Supreme Member

from the prices I've seen, lockup will be expensive
Old 01-29-2002, 09:12 AM
Supreme Member

Wayne.
My stock lock up cost me about $100 or less. 300-600 ain't worth the money that you seek to spend.
IF you want to get rid of the shakes and your tranny feels funny, you really think any extra looseness is good now?
AND if ya gonna go to the tranny, I think you'll have it rebuilt at the same time.
You get it done, all at once. Stay stock, cause when it works seamless and proper and "fun" you win.
Your engine feels like new again.
I was real pleased about the rebuild of mine. I liked having a "3.4 sized engine" again.
Save your money and shop for the tranny shop.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:06 AM
Supreme Member

ttt
Old 01-30-2002, 05:23 PM
Supreme Member

Wayne.
My stock lock up cost me about $100 or less. 300-600 ain't worth the money that you seek to spend.
IF you want to get rid of the shakes and your tranny feels funny, you really think any extra looseness is good now?
AND if ya gonna go to the tranny, I think you'll have it rebuilt at the same time.
You get it done, all at once. Stay stock, cause when it works seamless and proper and "fun" you win.
Your engine feels like new again.
I was real pleased about the rebuild of mine. I liked having a "3.4 sized engine" again.
Save your money and shop for the tranny shop.
Well , Ive decided Im going to get a stock only if I have to .If it starts shaking bad enough .I might have to change .BUT , what I want to do is save up , and at the end of this summer .Get a tranny rebuild , with a shiftkit and higher stall put in and a cam .I really dont want to put a cam in it this soon , but I want a higher stall .I just want some more pick-up out of this car , and I wanna surprise everyone when I get a nice E.T. at the track and make some nice passes . I just checked the status on my fuel injectors and tranny cooler , they are coming in Fri , I CANT WAIT !!!! Of course I wont put the tranny cooler on until I get a re-build .
Old 01-30-2002, 06:55 PM
Supreme Member

Wayne, you so win in the end of that financial decision.
Wait until you get the tranny sorted out, to up grade on the cam.
You'll have so much more power, you'll be real pleased.
Now's the time to stretch the car, rebuild, strengthen the foundations (ignition, fuel, air management, tranny) then go back to the engine.... BY INSTALLING A 3.4 SHORT BLOCK. I mean, your heads are rebuilt?
To upgrade the current heads, install stronger springs and make sure your valve guides are in good shape.
You will own this car for a very long time, then.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:40 PM
Supreme Member

Wayne, you so win in the end of that financial decision.
Wait until you get the tranny sorted out, to up grade on the cam.
You'll have so much more power, you'll be real pleased.
Now's the time to stretch the car, rebuild, strengthen the foundations (ignition, fuel, air management, tranny) then go back to the engine.... BY INSTALLING A 3.4 SHORT BLOCK. I mean, your heads are rebuilt?
To upgrade the current heads, install stronger springs and make sure your valve guides are in good shape.
You will own this car for a very long time, then.
Karl , Im keeping the 2.8 in b/c its new . It only has 12 k miles on the motor and its only a year old .Dad paid for that motor and paid for the labor for it to be put in .This may sound silly but I don't want to take it out and buy another motor while he paid for putting that one in there .I just think that would be in poor taste to do that .So anyway , to get more power I want to install a cam and find higher stall converter .Im hoping I can find one that wont be to hard on it and damage the motor . Ya know , I won't be nailing the gas everytime I take off .But if I want to make a pass or two at the dragstrip , I dont want to damage my motor .Im just ganna ask around and make sure what Im getting is right before I do anything .If there is not a higher stall out there that would not be to hard on the motor I will just go with stock .
Old 01-30-2002, 10:23 PM

I swear I much be the only v6 guy who isn't running a stock convertor.

TCI 3200 RPM Stall Torque Convertor.

PN is TCI-283200 (I think)
or TCI-323600

I got mine from summit. just let them know that you are looking for a 3200 stall, but the ones they list are too big for the bellhousing.

everyone thinks I'm nuts, or the convertor is too loose. well than how come I can rape a 2.8 or 3.1 auto on the launch?
Old 01-30-2002, 10:29 PM

a tranny cooler is a good idea, glad you are looking @ one. my car launches awesome and I lke the better tq multiplycation. I never did get to see the full benefit of my rebuild though. The guy that installed it, installed something wrong, and it's likely that one of the clutches for 1-2 is burnt (or more gears, clutches) because it always shifts out of first @ 5100 and I can't do anythign about it, and recently it stopped holding a gear altogether. if it's in 2, it'll hold 2, but only when I'm on the throttle, when I let off, it'll let off like a clutch, and I'll be rolling in neutral (kinda) it sucks, my car sucks. too bad I can't take the torque convertor out of the camaro and put it in the GP. I'm guessing that's the case because of the camaro being rwd and the gp being fwd w/ a transaxle.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Thanks for the part #! I had posted a message here yesterday; don't know where it went... I said to ask on the Trans/Drivetrain board. Transfixleo (a trans repair guy) has a V6 f-body, and recently rebuilt his transmission. He said he used a higher-stall TC in it; but I never asked him which one.

Oh, and my first trans had no overrun braking (when the trans slows the car down when you let off the gas) before it died... the second one just died on me- no warning at all.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:54 AM
Supreme Member

Slowcamaro, that's the way my tranny in my S-10 Blazer always acted. Ever since I had it "rebuilt".
I even had them re-install it corrected and I took them to court. Ran it until it died.
Finally did after about 9 years of no maintenance.
I shifted, manually.
It is bad, just run it until it dies or sue the tranny shop for lousy work.

Wayne, I hear ya 100% on your engine & such.
Try this.
Look for a wrecked 94 & above car
OR
Any 3.4 engined car. Go get the cam from that car.
OR
Do a complete head and cam swap (the Crane cam).
But you will need head work to make the package work better (check all springs, you're gonna rev higher)
One bad weak spring, can instantly ruin a good engine, rev'd to high.
Many people know a person, that has happened to their good engine (new cam-no head checking, spring breaks, valve hits piston).
Tranny-expect to pay close to $500-$800. While you're checking the yards, find a 1987 & later V-6 700R4. You may score a great tranny for lots less. Grab the convertor, too.
One other way to stretch your shopping dollars.
AND get what ya want.
I am not a fan of tranny swaps on the F bodies. Not much tranny tunnel room to move around.
You may have to pay someone else for their labor.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:16 PM

a friend rebuilt it and he obviously f*'ed up somewhere. he rebuilt the trans in his truck and GTA a few months later, both were flawless. no warrantyt.

let's put it this way. trans was rebuilt in july of '00 trans fluid smelt burnt by jan '01. line came loose, car pissed out 80% of fluid. replaced that 80% of burnt fluid w/ new amsoil. went on my way. got really poor over last summer than tranny started to get worse. couldn't do anything about it. in oct. I leave my temp job for lunch, and on the way back from lunch, it wasn't holding gears anymore. checked the fluid, was a little low, added some, still bad. scrounged up $50, got friends uncle who is mechanic to to fluid and filter change, cuz I didn't have time and didn't ever do it.

trans was same, but just with new fluid. he said there was some clutch material in the fluid. really fine too, like it's been like it for a long time (july 00 to nov. 01??)

trans is partially cooked AGAIN, this time with over $900 into the rebuild.
$350-400 TC
$150? transkit
$200 for '88 S-10 casing.
then labor, I think he got $250 for it, I don't remember how much I payed him..

anybody know if I can get my convertor to work with the grand prix? that would make it fly!
Old 01-31-2002, 01:23 PM

that's always good to know that my trans is pretty much fried again. more motivation to sell it.

there are so many parts I need to take off and put on my dad's iroc. the fogs, the grille, the tails, the center caps, int. pieces. minbe are better than his.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:15 PM
Supreme Member

THANX so much for all the help guys !
Karl , I was thinking about finding a 3.4 engine and getting the cam .You must have read my mind My car should feel real nice after all this guys -New injectors , re-built tranny , shift kit , 3.4 cam , work done on heads .I also changed almost all my vacumn hoses and I must say WOW guys .I feel a little more low end torque and more mid-range ! 3 of my hoses were completely shot ! One of the plastic ones had melted and bubbled up and the hose that runs behind the ac had a hole in it the size of a pencil ! If I put a 3.4 cam in , do I have to put roller rockers in ? Also Slow88camaro , thanx for the part numbers !

Last edited by WaynesRS; 01-31-2002 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by SlowCamaro88SC
a tranny cooler is a good idea, glad you are looking @ one. my car launches awesome and I lke the better tq multiplycation. I never did get to see the full benefit of my rebuild though. The guy that installed it, installed something wrong, and it's likely that one of the clutches for 1-2 is burnt (or more gears, clutches) because it always shifts out of first @ 5100 and I can't do anythign about it, and recently it stopped holding a gear altogether. if it's in 2, it'll hold 2, but only when I'm on the throttle, when I let off, it'll let off like a clutch, and I'll be rolling in neutral (kinda) it sucks, my car sucks. too bad I can't take the torque convertor out of the camaro and put it in the GP. I'm guessing that's the case because of the camaro being rwd and the gp being fwd w/ a transaxle.
I already have the tranny cooler , well I will get it at my backdoor tomorrow from summit ! I'm getting a B&M supercooler . Don't ask me why I got the tranny cooler before the shift kit , tranny or anything else . I saw it and just got excited I guess LoL..I dont know if Im more excited about getting my goodies in tomorrow or my big summit catalogue LoL :lala:
Old 01-31-2002, 06:55 PM

well, it's even a good idea on a completely stock trans.

these'll definately be easy with the 3200 stall.

Old 01-31-2002, 09:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Corvette Coupe
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4/4L60 same trans different name
wayne, if you want the most performance for your $$$ get a crower cam...........much better than the 3.4/crane cam
Old 01-31-2002, 11:15 PM
Supreme Member

Crower is a wonderful name from along time ago.
They make a good cam for this idea of Waynes'?
Good suggestion.
IF you can find a wrecked 3.4 that someone wants to part out, a used cam is an option.
BUT, ya gotta do the head/spring/guide work also.
Wayne, the stronger you make your foundation (igntion, fuel, exhaust, tranny) the stronger the 2.8 will feel and run.
Will make more torque?
NOT REALLY, it will just perform correct and since ya been driving with it running poor, you'll be pleased with the return on your efforts/dollars.
I'll bet it is idling smoother, too.
Vacuum leaks suck and are so cheap to repair.
Old 02-01-2002, 05:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Corvette Coupe
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4/4L60 same trans different name
BUT, ya gotta do the head/spring/guide work also.

TRUE!!!!!
Old 02-01-2002, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by SlowCamaro88SC
I swear I much be the only v6 guy who isn't running a stock convertor.

TCI 3200 RPM Stall Torque Convertor.

PN is TCI-283200 (I think)
or TCI-323600

I got mine from summit. just let them know that you are looking for a 3200 stall, but the ones they list are too big for the bellhousing.

everyone thinks I'm nuts, or the convertor is too loose. well than how come I can rape a 2.8 or 3.1 auto on the launch?
Do you have any problems with the 3200 stall during normal driving. That is alot of stall speed.

My father has a 1980 Z28 with a stroked 350 ( 383 ci ) heavily modded , he has a 3200 stall in that .
I love the way it shifts , you cant even feel it. He more less had to run high stall convertor for the cam . wont idle under 1100 rpm.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:56 PM

well it isn't like the car won't move unless it's @ 3200 or above, though I'm sure it flashes to a higher RPM than stock when jumping on it a little @ low low speeds. mashing it from a dead stop will yield 2500 ish launches. holding it with the brake will give exactly 3200. driving around town it feels normal but if you think of the driving pattern.

1st gear till 38 mashed.
lite throttle it'll shift into 2nd @ 15 and into 3rd @ 25 4th @ 42

it's the same as stock kinda, but there's gotta be a fair amount more clutch slippage below 3200 and a small amount more above. the tranny was way better than stock, I just wish it would have been installed right to really impress me.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:42 PM
Supreme Member

anyone ever find a price on the crower cam ? :lala: