V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Feel my pain...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feel my pain...

I did a **** load of work to '83 Firebird. I replaced or rebuilt everything, well almost everything.

Two days ago it passed a mechanical saftey inspection and a structural integrety test.

I then dropped it off at the paint shop. They replaced my spray bombing with a whicked metallic blue paintjob.

I just picked it up an hour ago and it looked soooooo deadly, like it was worth the $4000 and 1000's of hours I put into it (keep in mind the car was free). A brand spankin new looking F-body is a true sight to behold. Especially when it's yours.

People were doing double-takes, chick were gawking. Men had a look on there face like "You Idoit, why are you driving THAT in the winter?"

So I was hitting the freeway onramp and I punched it out. That new exhuast just purred and the new cooper Cobras were sticking to the snow and pavement deadly.

Then I noticed I was at 110km and there was no power to go faster. WTF I thought. maybe the timing sliped or my new tps gave out. I eventually hit a stop light and my car stalled. Right before I eyed the temp and oil press and they where at the middle.
I went to start it and got a rrrr-rrrw-rrrr--ww-clumk- then it ran.

I already had my hazards on. And some mustang owner honked at me.

At this point I almost walked across the intersection, busted out his window, pumelled him, pulled him out of his car, rearranged his face like it was bloody mr potatoe head and made sure his diet for they next six months was CLEAR LIQUIDS. Then showed his g/f a real good time. VENTED, and I still have a clean criminal record..

I drove he car off the side road, checked it over. It still looked clean and deadly. Nothing looked out of the ordinary. It wasn't overheating, so I fired her up to drive the last 4km home. I thought the tranny was cooked cause it was shifting oddly and felt booged down, like the my grandprix did when it's tranny grenaded.

I put it in nuetral and revved it to verify. clunk-clunk-tapity-tappity
clunk clunk clunk.. whent away at idle. By the time i pulled it into my garage, it had a growl at idle.

At that moment I thought back to when I had that engine block on the floor and I was just about to rebuild it. My dad told me something to the effect of if I spent $1200 on it, thats extra money I would have to go to collage with(with no car) and $1200 extra I would need from him. At the time the car was to be finished by fall. I argued the fact I wouldn't have a car and he gave me title to the Grand Am. He tried to help me out in his own communist way of going about things but in the end ****ed me over. I can't blame him, sometimes I don't force force my way when I should. I was thinking "But, I already rebuilt the heads......" Now my car's epitaph reads -rebuilt heads call for a rebuilt block.. end of story-

Toasted main bearings and/or Rod bearings. scored cankshaft i bet.

I'm too sad to do a search. I've never rebuilt and underhead cam V6 or V8. You Americans or metropolis folk have easier access to sound advice, cool catalogs and better parts. Unfortunatly the loonies value is dropping like a dead loon (it's sort of goose, thats on the dollar coin).

So part numbers, suggestions and where to go. I'm looking for something better that the cheap crap but the cost cannot excede they value of my '86 Grand Am ($1600)

rebuild kit (not forged, NOS wont be happening ever)
Better cam and lifters? suggestions?. 94 Firebird OEM cam kit is $180can, it in stock at Canada Trash. It probably the wong one they want sell me. I took back a defective master cylinder there and they cleaned it, put it back on the shelf and sold it to me again two days later after I waited for the right one to be shipped there.

I tried to find a 3.4l block to no avail. Found an engine, it was $2200 with 80,000km on it, good deal? not. But even then I am NEVER going to use redone heads on a used block. NEVER. I have done it successfully on 305's but still NEVER EVER EVER DO IT. I even have no excuse, the block was out of the car on my floor.

I have seen suggestions here, telling people to do this to their engines recently. I'm sure those people don't want to be in my boat, don't send them there without warning.

Someone one wanna mail me a 2.8l /3.1/3.4L block for rebuilding? It would be easier to do it beforehand. Right now I'm thinking it's too freakin cold to rebuild an engine. First thaw maybe.

Alanis Morisset breaks in;

Isn't it Ironic, don't you think?, just a little tooo ironic

It was like a whicked firebird

That just couldn't move

It had a little V6

With a spun out bearing

When he got it had no motor;
And it was a total loss car

He put one in, along with a new suspension;
He got it inspected

Then he could drive it;
Whenever he wanted

on way home

The engine blew

Isn't it ironic, don't you think? Just a little toooo ironic.

YES i really do think

I gotta deal with reality and get right ****ed up.

Calm Collected and Cool..........Calm, Collected and Cool.... Calm, collected and cool. For now
Old 01-18-2002, 10:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1995 Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: Built 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23's - Limited Slip
Wow, that was a good read...I don't think I am going to read another novel for a while. Kiddin bud.

Thats a really good post, it was filled with Info.
About your car, that is too bad. Its really odd that
your car died so early. And I live in Nova Scotia so I
Know all about inspection, and how annoying it is.

Now about your engine. ARI performance in the states
sells rebuild kits for 2.8 for $495 american. You can also buy
oversized. Heres the site http://www.engine-parts.com/GMV6/gm28stroker.html

Your best bet is the 3.4L. I read your message so I know you
can not find any in your area. But you are close enough to
old Ontario I am sure you could get one out of there and
have it shipped up to your way. Also keep looking. I have a local
junk-yard (on the net I can search parts) that will have the 3.4L
in one day, and out the next. So you will have to watch adds
steadily.

Then there is always find an old Firebird or Camaro, that
has seen better days. Pick it up for cheap, and do an
engine swap.

If you decide to keep the 2.8, I would say rebuild. And if you want to take a step up in power do the 3.4L conversion.

Good Luck
Old 01-18-2002, 10:30 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 13 Ram 1500/ 78 Formy
Engine: 5.7 / 7.4
Transmission: 6sp / TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.55 posi / 3.23
I'll send ya my block. No wait, you want a good block.if your just looking for a running engine, check all years 82-92 f-body & whatever years blazer.

The $495 for the ARI is a competitive price, even for PAW. inspect bores good to see if you need overbore, & inspect all bearing surfaces on rods & crank. If any are marked, don't use it.

you can always go manwhoring & earn some extra $$$$
Old 01-19-2002, 12:14 PM

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Originally posted by Joe_L
ARI performance in the states
sells rebuild kits for 2.8 for $495 american. You can also buy
oversized. Heres the site http://www.engine-parts.com/GMV6/gm28stroker.html

Ok, I'm sorta confused. Dumb question I guess, but the stroker kit is also a rebuild kit? Do you just buy all the gaskets, small parts, etc seperately?
Old 01-19-2002, 12:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1995 Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: Built 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23's - Limited Slip
<b>Crazy Firebird Kid</b>

I do not know truthfully. I am home for the weekend, and I am running on Dial up. But when I get back monday (DSL) I will write to them and ask them what all the kit includes. But I do believe you have to buy the gaskets seperately.

If you want to know quicker, write them an email I have written several, they do not mind.
Old 01-19-2002, 02:14 PM

another novel of my epic adventures

I got right messed last night and other than the pounding in my brain I feel better. hehe man-*****. Chris bigalo male giggalo, hmmm rich housewives..... or rich late teens....

I'm starting to get that "I want make a whicked V6" tingle.

One of my buddies offered the use of his heated garage next week. He gave me a set of keys to his house cause he'll be away. He said something about the fridge being stocked a little better when he gets back. I don't start work for a few weeks so now is the time to do it.

Continental Engine rebuilders just got back to me. They're more pricy but they have reputation. They did my heads for $500 and they've done great machine work in thet past for my dad. I gave them three scenarios and this is what they said;

1. I pull engine out, give them in one peice, they give back in one peice. $1695 -said something about freshing up the heads included.

2. I give them the block all intact and the give back all together.
$1400

3. I give them block all intact, they give back doing only the work I can't do;
$450, their engine kit with full gasket set is $900 (Why dont these things come with distributor o-rings and the gasket for oil thing that holds the filter and sensors?. only $4 for these parts from the dealership, I can't see why they were not included in the full gasket set I bought in the summer. cheap fel-pro bastards. The RIGHT egr gasket, not one of three included, would have been helpfull too.

AA auto pawn just back to me now too

They have an 84 2.8l engine with five speed tranny and rear end with 127,000km on for $400, they take it out. I converted my car to auto because that's what my parts car had, It had a brand new auto tranny. I still have the clutch assembly. finding this in July would have save me time, big time (I did a carb to mpfi). I couldn't find it then. I like that place they sold me the steering column and band new dash pad out of that car for $90 on monday. I gotta bring my old steering column if I want to hear it run. They also sold me my 89 bumper covers, '84 spoiler, working hatch struts for $50. They ROCK. I can't wait till they get a '93-95 v6 firebird.

But again, my rebuilt heads on a used block, a block that's weaker from the factory.

TomP: You told me difference between 1st gen 2.8 (82-85?) and 2nd gen 2.8 (86-89). What was it again

In 85 was the MPFI system used on an 84 block?

If put this engine in as is (for now, until the spring FI and 5spd project), can I use my 87 wiring harness?. I cannibalized and threw away my '83 harness a few weeks ago. What do I have to rewire?, will the sensors work with my fully loaded 87 instrument cluster?. 102 ****ty horse power in that carb'd engine I believe. This is starting to look like the quick fix, my dad would like that, I have to borrow......

ah schite, fuel pump. will the mechanical pump pull through it? Yes it will, on 305 FI to carb swap it does. I'll have to wreck my fuel lines I bet. I'll need new ones in the spring time to go back to FI.

I ***-u-me the 87 tranny will bolt up to the 84 engine.

hmm I'd have my 87 2.8 kicking around to build-up a bit.

Why not go to V8? hmmm I just put brand new -V6- springs, control arm bushings and bolts, ball joints, tierods, T/A sway bar and bushings. but the new steering column made the most improvement (yes I tried to tighten the -3- bolts, it needed a sphere? kit, whatever, just don't use your wheel to get out of your car).

The front end sits too high, I liked the broken springs better. will a V8 in there make it look better?

That stroker kit you speak of, what do you think I'd have to tell the machine shop about it? $500 US= $833 canadian+ $450 machine work + gasket set $???

this is all too heavy for one whose really burnt-out right now.

And maybe I should post this instead writing a new paragraph ever hour. Someone seems to be downloading something they shouldn't from my computer too. Now my printer don't work. owe I hurt.

Last edited by Blade3001; 01-19-2002 at 02:28 PM.