V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Bad fuel pump, no power to pump, and one frustrating day

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012 | 01:19 PM

Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42s
Bad fuel pump, no power to pump, and one frustrating day

Ok so I have been all over the car and this website today. I already started a thread in the electronics section, but v6 guys tend to "know it all" so to speak. So here goes.

86 firebird 2.8. I am getting fire, just no fuel. Can't hear the pump kick on when I turn the key on. I pulled the carpet back and checked for power coming into the pump via the tan wire. No power. I then ran a hot wire directly off the battery to the "G" terminal on the ALDL. Pump did not come on. I ran the same hot wire from the battery directly to the tan wire going into the bulkhead inside the car, pump did not come on.

I have come to terms with the pump being bad. What I want to know is why I am not getting power to the pump. I have checked the inline fuse on the passenger side of the car. It is good. I need to go through every fuse on my fuse block to make sure they are all good.

Some questions I have are which fuse on the fuse block is for the fuel pump? I can't read any of the writing on it.

Fuel pump relay is said to be a 4 pin, 3 in a row, one to the side relay. The only ones on the driver side of the car are 4 pin, all in a row. Where is my fuel pump relay?

Am I missing anything else to check?
Old 05-28-2012 | 01:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Re: Bad fuel pump, no power to pump, and one frustrating day

Get under the car with the battery wire and check the actual connector for the gas tank. Look at the connector first before you go to put the 12V directly to the fuel pump.

BTW, you need to put 12V into the ALDL "G" and then a GROUND to ALDL "A". The fuel pump relay is the one with the big orange wire running into it and a red one running out of it. Should be orange, red, green, gray, black. Yes, that's 5 wires, NOT 4. Jump the orange wire to the gray one.
Old 05-28-2012 | 02:15 PM

Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42s

Originally Posted by Maverick H1L
Get under the car with the battery wire and check the actual connector for the gas tank. Look at the connector first before you go to put the 12V directly to the fuel pump.

BTW, you need to put 12V into the ALDL "G" and then a GROUND to ALDL "A". The fuel pump relay is the one with the big orange wire running into it and a red one running out of it. Should be orange, red, green, gray, black. Yes, that's 5 wires, NOT 4. Jump the orange wire to the gray one.

I will try the under car later.

Which pin is the "A" pin on the ALDL?

And this is what I am assuming is the relay is the one on the left in this picture. It does not have the same color wires coming in and out as you mentioned.

Name:  relay2.jpg
Views: 11852
Size:  188.2 KB
Old 05-28-2012 | 04:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

If the pump was replaced by someone and they used the cheap quick connects that come in the kits, they soon burn and melt away breaking the connection in the tank.

mine did that, no clue how the power wire can burn and melt inside the gas tank with out causing a explosion but it did.
Old 05-28-2012 | 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

The ALDL "A" terminal is in the top right corner, the one that is used to ground the B terminal to pull codes from the ECM.

Pull off the clip on the end of the wire loom at the relay and pull the wire loom off a couple inches... The wiring may have faded due to exposure. The relay that has it's mounting top broken off is probably the fuel pump relay, but you can't tell for sure unless you split the loom a bit and expose wires that haven't faded.

And get those leaves and crap out of that corner before you end up with a rust problem similar to mine .
Old 05-30-2012 | 08:29 PM
10 Year Member

Car: 1990 firebird,1989 Iroc z,1986 fire
Engine: 3.1lt,5.7tpi,3.1mpfi
Transmission: auto,auto
Axle/Gears: 273?277

If your ground in the tank has come loose you can test everything twice and things still wont work.that happened to me one of the many times ive had to pull mine.still going to pull it and find out why my gauge keeps acting up.keep the ground on the battery hooked up and run ur hot to the G terminal.then go under the car to the tail coming out of the tank.mines a gray wire even though the book says tan.the black is ground.My firebird is an 86 also with a 2.8 maf system.Dont get hurt!Pulling the tank isnt so bad if all the bolts are clean and come off good.You dont have to disconect the drive shaft or torq arm.