V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

EGR Solenoid Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Sport Coupe
Engine: 2.8 MPFI
EGR Solenoid Question

Can someone tell me what the purpose of the open end of the solenoid in the attached pics. I solved my "runs worse when warm problem". Also, what is the possible consequence of leaving it capped?
Attached Thumbnails EGR Solenoid Question-egr-uncappedimg_2435.jpg   EGR Solenoid Question-egr-cappedimg_2436.jpg  
Old 02-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: EGR Solenoid Question

From what I'm finding that capped end is a vent, it should have had a foam filter over it. This is a similar diagram from an 85 2.8 cavalier.
Attached Thumbnails EGR Solenoid Question-imagescayl9dk2.jpg  
Old 02-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

Well, I knew a guy with an S10 that would pull that filter off and plug the open end of the solenoid with his finger to make the 4.3 chug and puff black smoke for fun... Basically, every time you open the throttle now, you're going to have the EGR open because you've plugged the vacuum vent that bypasses the solenoid actuator. You should look into replacing the filter if it's bad... And the only way to do that is to replace the solenoid assembly (not cheap).
Old 02-15-2012, 07:41 PM

Thanks Mav, I did find that it also solved my "No Cruise" not sure of the relevance. I have spent quite a bit of time and $$ working on this and just happened across this by chance.

All, Is ther a down side for running with it capped like this for an extended period of time until I can get a replacment unit? I am also open to suggestions of a quality replacment unit? I have in my experience learned that price is not in the same as quality!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Just as a update. i stumbled across Briggs & Stratton mower fuel filter still in the package and thought just maybe. I cracked open the clear plastic shell and slipped it over the blue cap (shown in the pics) with a hole cut at the end. The metal cover would not slide over and lock into place(too long) but i think I may be onto something. The filter appears that it would accomplish the same purpose. Will update when i have a chance to do a proper road test.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

any updates on this fishermandude?
BTW do you fish in tampa bay at all?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:24 AM

The B&S filter helped some but still seemed a little off. Not really sure how to describe it other than not very repsonsive after warmup which was not exaclty the perormance I was looking for. I had a friend jokingly tell me a toodler could run across the intersection faster than i could drive it..man that was cold water to the face. I would not be suprised that a piece of the old filter may have possibly gotten sucked into the actuator so my problem only occured while the actuator was trying to partially do its job unsuccessfully. Since it seemed to help some I figuerd that the entire unit was on its last leg and decided to replace the darn thing. Just knowing a couple of our local senoir citizens using their walkers could take me at a crosswalk was unbearable. Bought a new one off ebay after searching AC DELCO for the part number, FLAPS was discontinued. I figured since I was in the general area to replace the coil... original.. First replacment coil from Advance was bad, turn but no spark...second unit has been on since late feb..

I can report that it has a intermittent shut off. No rhyme or reason other than it only does this while my daughter is driving it..

I never had the oppurtunity to fish the bay area.. I have been told many a tall tale from lots of folks that have though... My wife has a fancy to the Cedar Key to Homasassa area.. scallop season is soon to be upon us as trout will begin to slow due to water temps. Although we do not make a contest out of it , she sure seems to be having alot more fun than she ought when i'm having a off day.