V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

raced new civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 02:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
raced new civic

yeap, I went down to S. Lindbergh (local crusin' strip) tonight. And as i approached the loop area (where the road meets the highway and loops back around (lindbergh loop) i pull up next to a new civic, it has some graphics on the side saying "someone's racing" , fartpipe, and a modified front facia (that i was actually fond of. Looked like it was straight out of the fast and the furious, but the front wasn't painted yet.) so i size it up, say

1. dudes got pimp wheels, and a facia but no paint on the facia yet, maybe he's put that money in the motor.

2. Guy just got the car and put an exaust on it and a facia to scare people away, stickers add HP we all know, and he's just like most other burners.

3. the guy's screwing with me, has facia w/o paint to make it a ***** sleeper.

Well, we pull up next to him and he says "nice firebird, i've got a 88 GTA at home, 5.7L, it's pretty sweet. And the tuned port rocks." So i assume, he's a car guy. Which would mean that he might have the motor tricked out too, Well, fate would let us test it, the light ahead turns red and we pull. After turning VG2 on the fuzz buster, and doing a quick eye scan for cops, my buddy and I prepare for a quick race, and prepare to have my **** handed to me. Well, #2 turned out to be true, the guy has exaust, a spoiler, and stickers, nothing more. I beat him off the line, but he held strong, then i got worried knowing that my 5500 rpm shifts might be to low compared to the high reving honda, i was a little frightened about it, but chanced it, released the gas and remashed it to the floor and let out the second gear chirp (auto tranny with shift kit) then but he didn't catch up, I started pulling on him again as i neared 70mph, when i removed my foot from the gas and began to brake (traffic was coming up) well, at the end we got to talk to the dude, and i asked him what mods he had, he said just straight exaust, and besides that just body mods, stickers, graphics, neon lights underneith the car, the facia, some interior lights (kinda purple in color. hmmm.) and a big tach on the dash. But anyway, that was my fun evening.

Now, like i said, i'm not running very high in the RPM band, and that killed me against a 3000GT with a 3.0L non turbo'd, i beat him off the line, but had no wheel spin (horrible bog) also misssed my chirp, but when i was getting out of first gear, he hit his sweet spot and flew past me. What's gonna give me that top end pull, and high reving action i need. I could actually do without higher revs, the shift kit's been known to rev to 6k many times, once even past that, but the prob is i run out of juice in the mid 5's that i why i can control the chirping action at about 5100-5300rpms. Would ignition help out on that top end pull?

But still, we can chuck one up for the good guys again.

------------------
the 85 firebird, the first firebird that doesn't burn out....

It eats the pavement!!!

KILL LIST: (SHORT BUT GROWING)

Dodge Daytona (think a 2.2),Honda Acorda (2.0L),2000 Camaro (3.8L),1992 Mustang (V6),1987 Firebird (2.8L),80's probe (4 banin'),90's malibu,90's 4 door Saturn, (wow, that was a slow ride, even slower than me.),91 Celica GT conv.,Acura Integra, 5speed DOHC 4 cylinder. * 86-90 Pontiac T/A, 305ci. (might not have been running well, but i'll count it anyway.), mid 90's Ford Mustang GT 4.6L tags. (beat him in a turning contest), 3rd gen RS camaro( beat him by more than 2 cars), Celica GT (this guy was a crazy racer)
---came close----
1979 camaro (5.7),1981 camaro (5.7),1982 firebird (5.0) my tires spun, I coulda beat em!!! ,79 El Camino (350, lost by a door),96' Mustang, 3.8L stickshift. (caught him after my car downshifted.)
Old 07-29-2001, 02:07 AM
Supreme Member

Location: First one out of liberty city, burn it to the ground
Cool...nice kill...next time u see him hell probably have the 5.7 and to answer your question, i didnt really notice any top end pull with the ignition....can you pull all the way to redline? I can to about 300 rpm over and then shift and im right at the powerband again...

------------------
1989 Firebird
2.8 v6, t5 swapped in

Performance Mods:
Ram Hi-po clutch, Cold Air, 1.6 rockers,Lakewood LCA's, Lakewood Lift bars, Wonder Bar, 3" y-pipe, Random Tech Cat, 3" I-pipe, Flowmasters, MSd 6a, MSD Coil, Accel 8.8 wires, Auto Meter Gauges (Water, Clock, Fuel Pressure, and 5" Sport Comp Tach)TB Bypass, 4th Gen Seats

Car Stereo:
Blaupunkt head, Monster Cable wiring, MTX Thunder 6000 12" inverted in a personally made box with a 350*1 Amp pushing it, MTX 6x9 in the back with hopes for components in front

Coming for my v6:
Panhard Bar, 4thgen front seats, Nitrous, Line Lock, Posi, Spohn Torque Arm & Subframe connnectors

"I'd rather run last in a full out race, than to NOT have run at all"
#3 Forever

My Site:
Click Here to see my car!

[This message has been edited by Graeme'sFirebird (edited July 29, 2001).]
Old 07-29-2001, 02:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before I lock this....answer me this. Why are you letting off the gas and then slamming it back down again? That makes your car slower. I nearly broke out laughing when I was riding in a Mustang and a guy did that. Let's see....new 01' mustang V6 turning a 17.3 on a Gtech, and he had the nerve to say "I'm dissapointed with my car." I told him what his problem was, and he still didn't get the point....so I raced him . Chalk another one up for your moderator......
Old 07-29-2001, 02:46 AM
Supreme Member

Overclk, don't lock this one, there is a lagitimate question poised, in a seperate paragraph too. Come on, you lock all my other ones, and this one was actually a good post. Oh yeah, to answer your question about the shifts, when i initially got the car back from the tranny shop and they did the rebuild, vette servo, shift kit, and boosted line pressure, i would just foor it, but there were a couple little problems, when i reved, i ran out of power band, my car maxes out at 5100, well, with the shift kit it wanted to rev until damn near 6500 or so, by that time i have no power left, every once in a while i'd get a second gear chirp out of her though at those RPM's and i'd gain an instant 9-10 mph. which normally would put me at nearly 50 mph at the beggining of second gear. Well, i had learned that by slowly releasing the gas, and then re-applying quickly would also engage a chirp and a MPH increase, although less 5mph which puts me at nearly 45, not to far off, i haven't got a G-Tech to test it or gone to the track yet, If I had more power higher in the RPMs though, i wouldn't have to worrry about trying to achive a chirp, i'd let it rev to redline and shift automatically. That'd be ideal, now...how do i achive that.
Old 07-29-2001, 02:51 AM
Supreme Member

Location: First one out of liberty city, burn it to the ground
To every upside, theres a downside. If you want high end, there will be no low end remember that... i didnt know that and i have no low all high

------------------
1989 Firebird
2.8 v6, t5 swapped in

Performance Mods:
Ram Hi-po clutch, Cold Air, 1.6 rockers,Lakewood LCA's, Lakewood Lift bars, Wonder Bar, 3" y-pipe, Random Tech Cat, 3" I-pipe, Flowmasters, MSd 6a, MSD Coil, Accel 8.8 wires, Auto Meter Gauges (Water, Clock, Fuel Pressure, and 5" Sport Comp Tach)TB Bypass, 4th Gen Seats

Car Stereo:
Blaupunkt head, Monster Cable wiring, MTX Thunder 6000 12" inverted in a personally made box with a 350*1 Amp pushing it, MTX 6x9 in the back with hopes for components in front

Coming for my v6:
Panhard Bar, 4thgen front seats, Nitrous, Line Lock, Posi, Spohn Torque Arm & Subframe connnectors

"I'd rather run last in a full out race, than to NOT have run at all"
#3 Forever

My Site:
Click Here to see my car!
Old 07-29-2001, 11:27 AM

85f-bird. you said you could beat a 3000GT (N/A0 off the line. sorry but i doubt that. exscially if your a v6. is your car auto or man? my 3000GT i have now is a man it is great at take off, as long as the person driving knows how to drive it. i love f-bodys but the 3000GT could smoke my old 92 Firebird off the line (for the whole race actually)

------------------
91 3000GT SL
removed resinator
-------------------------
soon to come:
ram air
raised hood scoops
Car of the past:
1992 3.1 Firebird automatic
-K&N w/custom open element
-B&M Shift kit
-removed tranny mounts
-Flowmaster, no cat
-AC Delco Rapidfires
-Arrest me red paint
-79 "Screaming Chicken" graphics
Old 07-29-2001, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 400HP 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
An ignition would help, but that all depends what plugs you use. Try a platnium plug or like a rapidfire plug see what happens if you still need more spark get an ignition system. I use Bosch Platnium +4 they are a great improvment over stock.

maybe the next time you race a ***** you can give him one of my Anti-***** Stickers, if you want.

------------------
Chevy 2.8L, k&n filter lid, Headers Soon!!!
http://www.geocities.com/fiream/RobsCarArtPa.html?994187591828
Old 07-29-2001, 03:16 PM
Supreme Member

hey 3000GT, i did beat the 3000GT off the line, it wasn't a VR4 or anything, and this guy did dust me, but off the line, and until near the end of first gear he was all mine. After i went to second gear he walked over me like i was dead, which i was. I don't know the condition of your 92 firebird, but this firebird has a fresh block in it, bored .040 over, and the heads were slightly milled. The tranny is off a fresh rebuild, with a vette servo, shift kit, and high pressure tranny lines, she's not to shabby. But that 3000GT does rev high, way higher than mine.
Old 07-30-2001, 12:34 AM

OUr cars are fine till 3k but they dont wanna climb after that at all. I raced my bros 88 thunderbird turbo coupe that does 15s and held with hime until about 3 k in first and then he kicked my *** , but hes got turbo, man how I'd kill for a turbo setup on my 3.1. Sigh oh well.
I want more high end too by the way, I like high revving engines. My moms taurus sho goes to 7k and its like nothing else I've ever driven , but then again I'm only 17 there are many cars to be driven in my future
Old 07-31-2001, 11:01 AM

hey 85f-bird is your firebird a standard? mine was auto and i had some tranny problems that might be why

------------------
91 3000GT SL
removed resinator
soon to come:
ram air
raised hood scoops
Car of the past:
1992 3.1 Firebird automatic
-K&N w/custom open element
-B&M Shift kit
-removed tranny mounts
-Flowmaster, no cat
-AC Delco Rapidfires
-Arrest me red paint
-79 "Screaming Chicken" graphics

Pics at:
http://www.geocities.com/aj3000gt/mypage.html
Old 07-31-2001, 11:31 AM
Supreme Member

nope, it's an auto also, but the tranny was rebuilt about 2 months ago, and with the inclusion of the corvette servo, and the shift kit, along with boosting line pressure, it shifts pretty dang firm. Enough to break 4 2.8L tranny mounts, in the 2 month period. I'm now on the TPI 305 mount, hopefully it'll hold up more strong.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Camaro RS & 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 L v6 & 305 (5.0L) v8
Transmission: 4L60 Auto
Well if you want more on the top end, go to a lower non performance axle ratio, you may not get off the line as good but you will have more at the end of a run, also if you do get a different axle gear, don't lift off the gas and make sure you shift into the 4th gear over drive at the end of the run, if you don't already, because the ratio in that gear is .52 something to 1 and when you add that to a lower axle ratio, your final drive ratio is lower, thus making the engine work harder turning less RPMs, giving you access to the mid range HP of a V8 which we all crave.
Old 08-01-2001, 01:59 AM

hey 85-fbird we should roll together sometime as soon as I get my electrical problem fixed I live in warrenton
Old 08-01-2001, 08:59 AM
Banned

Your shift kits dont change your shift points guys. YOur Kickdown cable detemins what RPM your car shifts at. 85f-bird your Tranny shop just didn't adjust your cable to the right length. The tighter it is the higher RPM shift you will have.
I got the Answer to any ***** picking on V6 F-bodies LOL

------------------
89 Trans Am Turbo 3.8L All stock 43,000 miles #1053 of 1555

Past Thirdgen:
86 Trans Am w/ built 355TPI with SLP goodies and too much other stuff to List. One sweet *** car, wish I would have had a good enough Job to pay insurance on three cars so I could keep it, but for a 89 Turbo Trans Am w/ Low miles, I think I made the right choice!
Old 08-07-2001, 10:27 AM

kyle f , u live in columbus my email is

AJ4217@devrycols.edu

maybe we could hook up sometime and you could show me where the track is. maybe i could run against you sometime . BTW what times are you running with you Turbo Firebird?

[This message has been edited by 3000GT (edited August 07, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by 3000GT (edited August 07, 2001).]
Old 08-07-2001, 12:22 PM
Banned

The track is on the South side, if you take 270 around you will find it by signs do near the 23 south exit.

I haven't had my car there yet, but if by any idication my old car ran a 13.9 and this one feels a lot stronger, but its all stock so It shoudll be around a 13.5, but It wont do that at the track, I will make sure it comes ready to do 12s before I show up with it.