V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

need help car "auto revs"

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help car "auto revs"

90 camaro v6 3.1 auto. when im driving and i come to a stop the car "auto revs" a littile bit. i put it into N or P it stops or at least i cant feel it. i dont know what rmp it keeps reving up to because my gauge does not work. its not that high but its enough that i can feel the car want to move forwards. so i need help with that.

and also since im here where is the timing belt or chain so i can check that.

and i do i get to the fuel pump in the tank because i have to replace that assembly because my gas gauge does not work
Old 05-26-2011, 08:28 PM

Re: need help car "auto revs"

anybody know what could be going on? or maybe point me to the direction of another forum or something?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:43 PM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: Stock 3.1 v6
Transmission: 700r4

For the first one try cleaning your IACV (Idle Air Control Valve). And yes, the fuel pump is in the tank as well as the fuel sending unit.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:56 PM

if the IAC is bad wouldnt it rev up in in N or P? do i have to remove the TB in order to clean it? and where would it be? and i know its the tank what im asking with that is wheres the access point? like under the rear seat? under the carpet in the hatch area? thats what i want to know
Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 PM

The IACV is on the top left of the throttle body, left being passenger side, looking at the engine from the front of the car and is held on by two torx screws.

You have to drop the tank or cut an access panel in the floor pan under the trunk carpet to get to the top of the fuel tank. Search a bit for that.

Also, if you have disconnected your battery for anything or made any adjustments to your car you should do an idle relearn... that fixed my problem similar to yours.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:05 PM

Car: 91 Camaro rs
Engine: 3.1

Be careful with the pintle on the IAC when you remove it. If you push/pull/twist the pintle then you could damage that little electric motor.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by CgMcKinney
The IACV is on the top left of the throttle body, left being passenger side, looking at the engine from the front of the car and is held on by two torx screws.

You have to drop the tank or cut an access panel in the floor pan under the trunk carpet to get to the top of the fuel tank. Search a bit for that.

Also, if you have disconnected your battery for anything or made any adjustments to your car you should do an idle relearn... that fixed my problem similar to yours.
the bat been replaced so its been disconnected. but whats a idle relearn?

as far as the fuel pump does i would have to drop the tank?

i only really know one car and thats a dsm i can pull the fuel sending unit out from the hatch. so i was wondering if these was anything like that but i gess not
Old 05-26-2011, 10:08 PM

and how do i go about cleaning it?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:11 PM

Nope, no pre-made access panel. You can either cut one yourself or drop the tank. As far as the idle relearn, disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, start the car, let it idle with no accessories on until the fan kicks on then turn it off. Turn it back on and put it in drive (of course blocking the drive wheels and setting the parking brake) and let it sit for 5 more minutes. That's it.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by CgMcKinney
Nope, no pre-made access panel. You can either cut one yourself or drop the tank. As far as the idle relearn, disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, start the car, let it idle with no accessories on until the fan kicks on then turn it off. Turn it back on and put it in drive (of course blocking the drive wheels and setting the parking brake) and let it sit for 5 more minutes. That's it.
so whats holding the fuel sending unit in place? so ill try the idle relearn tomorrow it kinda just started or i just noticed it today i had the car for a couple days and before that its just kinda been sitting and drivin a few times a year
Old 05-26-2011, 10:33 PM

A locking ring at the top of the tank and the fuel lines hold it in place.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 PM

Car: 91' Firebird
Engine: 3.1 LH0 V6
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip

I swear people come in here asking the same questions every day. All this information has been covered countless times, DO A SEARCH!
There are good writeups on how to drop the tank, clean the IAC, and do an idle relearn. Grab your bootstraps and yank them real hard, IF you still have a problem after actually trying to figure things out for yourself, then post.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

There is one missing piece of info here:

The ECM used on the 90-92 model year cars has something called a "stall recovery" mode, where it will open the IAC to raise the engine speed if it anticipates the engine stalling. This is what causes the sudden burst of engine speed. Check the basics (fuel, spark, vacuum leaks) and then work from there. Do a FULL tune up and then go through the idle relearn before you do anything else. Chances are that half of the running gear (plug wires, cap, rotor, plugs) is too old and not working right any more, and the fuel injectors more than likely are clogged with gummed up fuel.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:51 AM

ok makes sense thats deff it i think because the car did stall on me once yesterday, and the other day i put a full tank with injector cleaner.

every thing on my car has 116k excpt cat back bat alt and ten pully
whats the best type of spark plug to use

i only know of one vacuum leak and from what i got here its for the heat/air controls
Old 05-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Supreme Member

Just because the car has 116K on it doesn't mean that the parts to make it go are still good... Gaskets dry out when sitting (valve cover gaskets), rubber rots (vac lines/hoses, radiator hoses, tires, suspension bushings), animals can get in and chew on the wires, AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW OLD THE PARTS ARE.

Give the engine a once-over with new tuneup parts, replace any dry-rotted vac hoses, reset the ECM and do an idle relearn.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:55 PM

thats what im saying the parts have 116k im sure in needs new plugs and wires and all routine maintenance..... and what do you mean i dont know how old the parts are? every thing besides what i listed above is right off the assembly line.

but another problem developed just a little while ago when i floor the car it only goes to 20, but if i ease on the gas everything is good im thinking tranny but i would really like to rule that asap
Old 05-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Supreme Member

What I meant by you don't know how old the parts are is that something like the water pump or the timing chain could have been replaced 15K ago and you wouldn't know it, or it could be factory (if you still have the factory timing chain, put one on your shopping list because they typically get replaced when the odometer hits 100K). Especially the gaskets and what not. Heck, the guy I bought my car from told me the 2.8 was rebuilt 10K before I bought it... If it was, he left the same oil in it the whole time. First oil change came out like sludge and there was a crap load of debris in the engine's lifter valley. So, like I said, you never know.

If the trans isn't shifting at WOT, I'd try to reset the throttle cable (the thing attached to the throttle arm with the green tab) first and then evaluate from there with the guys on the Trans board if there are still issues. There's instructions on resetting the TV cable around, if you .
Old 05-27-2011, 05:34 PM

the parts are all factory i got it off the origanal owner and he told me what he did.

the WOT thing just happend today ive been driving for a bout 3days fine and that just happend today and i didnt know what to search for with this problem, because i know if i put wont go past 20 at WOT nothing was going to come up