V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Supercharger mounting plan...any input?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger mounting plan...any input?

I thought about the fabbing brackets that would accomodate the supercharger, but what a PITA, and they'd have to be massively rigid. Then it occured to me, why not reuse my AC brackets, and make the supercharger fit them! Of course you can't just drill holes in an air tight housing to make it fit, so...

Using some thick gauge sheet metal or some type of flat stock, mount the blower to a metal frame using the intended bolts (or shortened one) and boltholes. Then drill the metal frame wherever I need it to make it fit the AC brackets perfectly. Of course, I'd need some long bolts and spacers to make the belts line up, but what do you guys think?

-Reno

------------------
'88 Firebird LB8
"Cerberus"
-Supercharged Hybrid LB8/L32 Project-
"You think you're weak and maybe I'm the cure, but I've got 6 pistons in my engine, and I got one for ya...it's a long shot"
http://www.angelfire.com/il/Firebird28/index.html
Old 03-21-2001, 08:28 PM
Supreme Member

Location: First one out of liberty city, burn it to the ground
hmmm....if ive pictured this right...2 overlapping brackets with the s/c'r on one? Hmm...I think it should work just as long as the bolts wont back out...!

------------------

" I'd rather run last in a full out race, than to NOT run at all ".
Old 03-21-2001, 10:13 PM

Not so much a second bracket, more like a universal 1" or so flange around the outside edge, so I can redrill holes in this flange wherever I need them to make it fit the AC brackets (which I wish I would have kept now...)

-Reno
Old 03-21-2001, 10:57 PM
Supreme Member

ahhh ok i see what u mean. I like the idea. Should work. Have u thought of re drilling the bracket that comes with the s/c'r so u only need to redrill for the holes on the block?

------------------

Old 03-21-2001, 11:01 PM

Well, if you look at most of the brackets on your block, they have all kinds of reinforcement and stuff around the bolts, not just bent metal, so I'd like to use something that is a perfect fit already, and when I get some new brackets they'll fill the hole on that side of my engine bay perfectly. Now if I could just get it to run with the serpentine belt...

-Reno

------------------
'88 Firebird LB8
"Cerberus"
-Supercharged Hybrid LB8/L32 Project-
"You think you're weak and maybe I'm the cure, but I've got 6 pistons in my engine, and I got one for ya...it's a long shot"
http://www.angelfire.com/il/Firebird28/index.html
Old 03-21-2001, 11:10 PM
Supreme Member

What company were u going with? I know some brackets are reinforced as well like the stocks...i THINK powerdyne does it...ive seen some brackets before but dont remember.... now that im thinking of it..if they reinforced it then u wouldnt be able to use the reinforced holes since ud have to redrill...n/m

------------------
1989 Firebird
2.8 v6, t5 swapped in

Ram Hi-po clutch, Cold Air, 1.6 rockers (ready to install), Lakewood LCA's, Lakewood Lift bars, 3" y-pipe, Random Tech Cat, 3" I-pipe, Flowmasters, MSd 6a, MSD Coil (Fireball in future) Accel 8.8 wires, MSD Ignition Module, 4th Gen Seats (not front yet)

[This message has been edited by Graeme'sFirebird (edited March 21, 2001).]