V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

camaro or firebird???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2001, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camaro or firebird???

i was thinking...we all know camaros and firebirds are related but they are different in a lot of ways. i think all of us either like the camaro or the firebird a little more than the other. let me know which one you like more out of the 2 and why. which one is faster, handles better, looks better, etc....all generations and models.
Old 01-04-2001, 09:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm...sounds like this post is going to start a lot of flames. I like the Firebird because it seems more sleek. If you stand a Camaro and Firebird next to each other, the Camaro seems (o(ky and flashy. The firebird seems more assured of itself in a kinda "yah, i'm fast" kinda way while the camaro is a "RACE ME NOW" kina car. Oh well, I personally LOVE the 91-92 birds out of all of em, but I' own ANY thirdgen.

------------------
92 Bird 3.1L Auto
Best $750 I ever spent....

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

Kills:
93 Mustang LX (Before Mods)
98 or 99 Dodge Stratus (tough one, edged out at 40)
Mods-Jet Stage 2 Performance Chip, Accel Cap/Rotor, Accel 8.8 MM Wires, Accell Coil, AC Delco Rapidfire Plugs, Dynomax Catback, K&N

AIM name OVRCLCK350

[This message has been edited by Ovrclck350 (edited January 04, 2001).]
Old 01-04-2001, 10:21 PM

Personally I like the Camaros best, esp. the 91/92 z28s. They are my fave of all the 3rd gens. I'd gladly take a nice Firebird too. I just love the looks of the Camaro.

------------------
Red 1986 SC, 2.8L, newly rebuilt 700R4, 3.42 Posi, t-tops, 133K miles and counting, K&N air filters, hopefully more to come!
Old 01-04-2001, 10:55 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 99 WS6 / 00 SS / 11 CTS-V / 13 300
Engine: LS1 / LS1 / LSA / 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 4L60E / T-56 / 6L80E / W5A80
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.42 Auburn / 3.23 / 2.62
The #1 3rd gen: '88-'90 IROC-Z. DO NOT ARGUE WITH ME

Seriously though, Camaros, under controlled conditions, are ALWAYS faster. I have never seen anywhere in a magazine where a 'Bird beat a Camaro. This is because of the intake restrictions on the 'Birds, and because they weigh more.

Camaros are better....HAHA

------------------
Jason E
'89 Camaro RS 2.8 (Medium Gray Metallic)
Hypertech chip/K&N filters/Accel 8.8 wires, Accel Supercoil/RapidFires
Eclipse CD and 100x4 amp/Boston plates and 6x9s
Alpine Alarm, Keyless Entry
IROC tailights, tinted windows

JasonEE98 on AOL IM
Old 01-04-2001, 11:16 PM
Supreme Member

Location: First one out of liberty city, burn it to the ground
i like both actually..89 tta and 92 z28

------------------
89 Firebird
2.8 V6 w/ t5 tranny (383 tpi t56 w/ ati 12/01)
Flowmaster 80 series, 3" Intermediate, SS Tips, Random Tech Cat, Msd Coil, MSD 6a, Accel 8.8 wires, Cold Air Intake w/ K&N, Lakewood LCA's, Brushed aluminum Hood pins ETC...
-------------------------
My Site:
www.geocities.com/firebird89white

" I'd rather run last in a full out race, than to NOT run at all ".
Old 01-05-2001, 01:12 AM

I love em both, but I stick with the Firebird because I LOVE the 91-92 nose, the interior (seats, gauges, auto shifters) is much nicer and there seems to be less of them kicking around.

They also come with better spoilers/wings.

But then again, thats just my opinion

Oh yeah, Jason, whats the weight difference on a 'bird and a maro?? I always figured that my Formula would be lighter than a Z28..maybe Im just an idiot, oh well, who knows..

------------------
1991 Firebird Formula
305 TPI
Auto
K&N Filter
Grant GT Steering Wheel
5% Rear tint
Pontiac Windshield Decal
No real mods yet!

Former owner of an 88 2.8 Firebird....RIP
Old 01-05-2001, 03:34 AM
Tas
Supreme Member

'91-'92 z28 is my favortie Camaro ever. the same year RS is up there too.

My '89 Formula is another favorite of mine('88-'90) along with the '91-'92 style bird(except for the Formula model). I don't care for the pre '91 T/As at all('89 TTA only for engine but looks still are soso).

other gens don't matter. its a thirdgen board

And for magazine tests and such: Formulas always win. they are the lightest and most aerodynamic. But of course they stick the fat TA in there most of the time, or put sh!ty GS-C tires on the bird vs. BFGs on the camaro. (don't make me scan that issue!!! )

------------------
-Tas
'89 Formula WS-6
[soon to be Performace Red =) ]

305, TBI, auto, 14x3 chrome flat based open element with K&N, functional Formula hood, cross-flow Flowmaster, '99z28 rear pipes and tips....

Super GRK_Taz World
EFI & Intake Options
AOL IM: superGRtaz
ICQ 82881207

[This message has been edited by Tas (edited January 05, 2001).]
Old 01-05-2001, 06:20 AM
Banned

OK I go the answer to this one. The Firebird is the best. They look meaner and more aggressive. The are way more impressive looking than a Camaro. I love my 86 and wouldn't trade it for any other 3rd gen but a TTA. Anyways I love the nose and ground effects on the 86's, but I want to get my 91-92 T/A wing though(damn rubber **** that cracked and looks ****ty as hell).
Anyways to prove my point how many cool movies or shows have been made with a Camaro in it. Smoky and the Bandit, Knight Rider(My personal Fav), the smashed one in 60 Seconds, Kid Rocks video Cowboy, and others. I see em on TV all the time. All the cool people have a Trans Am
Old 01-05-2001, 08:50 AM
Supreme Member

TransAM's are by far the best looking and this is coming from a camaro owner. Here is my take on it:

1. Camaro's looks like a mans car, they look powerfully and mean.... Firebirds are pretty, nice to look at, offer a better ride, run smoother, slower, softer like a woman should be So if you are a man get a camaro! Hey it is your choice, have fun with it..
Old 01-05-2001, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '99 Trans Am, '86 Camaro
Engine: LS1, Scrap
Transmission: T56, T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Stock ZT, 3.42 Open
Kyle, I'd like to point out they did guest star some pretty bad-A$$ camaros in Knight Rider.. if you've seen all of them (like I probably have) please refer to the race episode with Rooster's Z-28 (red/yellow with the 91/92-looking Z wing way before it existed) Also, you forgot that Ponch in CHiPs owned 2 different firebirds during the course of the show. And they had at LEAST 1 camaro in every episode SOMEWHERE.. trust me.. I have no life and look for these things. As far as movies with camaros, there was one.. think it was pellican brief.. bad-a$$ black camaro one of the bad guys drove.. hmm.. back to TV shows, Walker: Texas Ranger.. backup units tend to be maros.. I mean, really this whole camaro vs. firebird issue is totally a personal preference thing.. Personally I like 'em both. =P

------------------
'86 Camaro SC, black /w silver racing stripes
MSD coil, Accel 8mm wires, SplitFire plugs, Gabriel hijackers
Old 01-05-2001, 12:02 PM

I would like to point out that you should add "It is my opinion that..." and leave it at that, since Kyle seems to be saying that what he says goes, and sorry, but it just ain't so (no flames intended).
I think that the Camaro is one bad looking car. It looks mean. It is one of the cars that just screams and oozes power. The Firebird/Trans Am on the other hand is more laid back. It puts across the message that "I don't push my car hard to impress people, but if you want to be shown up, I am game." I think the new Trans Ams with Ram Air look a lot better than a new SS. But I think Camaros look better than Birds in 1st and 2nd gens, but 3rd gens it is a tie. Either way, they are both kickin' cars, and overrule other sports cars, IMHO.
As for Camaros not being in movies and TV, have we forgotten CAR, KIT's brother car? Sure, he was a chicken, but it was a damn nice car! And sure, there is a Bird in "Gone in 60 Seconds", but did you look at the list on the chalk board? If I recall correctly, there were one or two Camaros (one for sure), but I don't remember seeing a Bird on the list. There was a Camaro in Suburban Commando, some old movie with Helen Hunt in it (it was a 3rd gen Berlinetta, but it was a Camaro), and since I am a Trekkie/Trekker, who can forget the 69 Z-28 Tom Paris was restoring on the holodeck in one episode of Star Trek Voyager (personal note: Tom and his honey B'Lanna had quite a time in that car after the episode was over - it had a lot of "handsy" things it it). HAHA. I love both cars equally, but since my first car was a Camaro, I think I would say that I like Camaros better than Firebirds.
Oh, and in one issue of Motor Trend I think, there was a shootout between a new Camaro SS, a new Mudstain GT, and a 30th Ann. TA. All of them were convertibles. The Bird was faster than the SS in top speed by 3 mph (163 vs. 160), and it was quicker off the line. I think it also had a better skidpad too, but I haven't looked at it in some time. Oh, and the GT was far behind both!!!!

Vman

------------------
1969 Camaro
383, Corvette heads, 700R4
Resto is in progress

1988 Toyota 4-Runner
aka the Parts Hauler

Previous owner of an 89 RS Camaro
2.8L V6, 700R4
Old 01-05-2001, 12:04 PM

Oh, I was thinking. I have never seen a Highway Patrol Car that was a Firebird. I am sure there have been some, but Camaros just seem to be the choice of law enforcement (unfortunately). Our local PD here in LS has a nice 96 black Camaro, LT1, 6 speed, leather, it oozes "I'm gonna get you...."
If only I had gotten pulled over by it, hahahahaa......

Vman
Old 01-05-2001, 01:05 PM

Car: 87 GTA
Engine: Eaton Supercharged 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
My favorite for looks is the 91-92 cammaros. Looks more muscular and sporty. The Firebirds have better arrowdynamics and I think they have a much nicer dash board and interior. Performance wise the Firebirds do have a more restrictive air filter generally, easy to fix. I disagree that they are hevier. According to GM the 92 RS cpe v6 is 3103 lb while the same firebird is 3094 lb. Basically I think it all comes down to personal preferance, I like both.
Old 01-05-2001, 02:12 PM

Camaro will defnitely beat the bird because of the weight diff. But the bird is more aerodinamic, they each have different appeals. I would not like to race at 150 mph in a camaro unless it had a bunch of smoothening stuff like a better airdam and headlight blackouts or covers. The bird can perform better in high speed situations. Oh and THE REASON why highway patrols dont use firebirds is because camaros are cheaper cars!! They come with a whole bunch of options to delete a/c an some other stuff. Firebird is world class performance in style. And you wanna know another thing? That quad headlight thing that thirdgen and early fourthgen camaros have was stolen from the 1977-1981 firebird!!!! Sow how do you like that!!!
Old 01-05-2001, 02:38 PM

Taken from an email I got, "What your cars says about you."

Camaro: "I enjoy beating the hell out of people"

Firebird/ TA: "I have a switchblade in my sock"

The Firebird is just better looking, more aggressive, better aero, everything blends together. As for looks across years though, 'birds just got UGLY from 90-97. The same years, 'maros got much better looking. 'Birds could pass for Probes in 90-92, and the beginning of the 4th gens looked like MR-2's on steroids. Then all of a sudden, 98, Firebird was the ultimate bada$$ again, nostrils and all, and the Camaro decided it had more in common with a dodge Intrepid (look at the headlights, it's right there...).

$1.23 worth of .02.

-Reno
Old 01-05-2001, 02:44 PM
Banned

Dude what I said was a joke. I dont think any of the third gens are exceptionally better than the other. I am just partial to the Black birds. Ya know you guys need to lighten up a bit damn. Every V6er is so damn touch, not every comment is to make fun of you
Old 01-05-2001, 04:45 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
than kyle you'd love my black 85 bird. Personally, i favor the firebird over the camaro. Why, well, like a lot of other people stated, the firebird tends to be sleaker, and "prettier", and as Car&Driver stated for the New T/A convertible, it was faster than the new maro, by 3mph I think the camaro has a lot to offer too though, i like the muscular look that third gen camaros have, they give a stance, and glare, and the open grille mixed with the dual headlights makes the car look like it's grinning, laughing, or provoking you into a race. I love the 86-90 T/A's with their Ground FX, don't care much for the 91-92 models with their FX, i think they look real sleek, but don't really appeal to me, the 85-90 FX give a more aggressive camaro look to the bird. All in all, i entent to buy a camaro for my next car, but i'm going to keep the soon to be a colectors item bird, the maro will be built to race specs . As far as the other generations go, i think that the camaro started as a musclecar, while the firebird was more of a pony car, but when the second gen hit, both cars became muscle cars in a hurry, and as time progressed the camaro (while still a muscle car) got a more sleek look, 98+ 4th gens, while the firebird reverted back to a muscle car stance with the dual snorkel ram air hoods.
Old 01-05-2001, 05:19 PM

Okay here's my take on it.

Comparing the looks of the firebird and camaro is like comparing a Lamborghini and a Ferrari. Ferrari=Firebird , Lamborghini=Camaro.

The Camaro looks a lot more muscular and meaner, but the Firebird will get you MANY more chicks, having a TRANS AM has a much better ring to it than having a Z-28. The Firebird is sleeker and more aerodynamic as well, so if you want to easily increase your top speed the Firebird is car of choice. Camaros look like a car for the drag strip, while firebirds look better suited for the race track.

I've owned a '91 Firebird and loved it, now i'm looking into a '91 RS just because i want something different. As for the 91-92 noseclip on the firebird, it's either love it or hate it. Firebirds look better IMO all around except for when you stare at the front straight on. The 91/92 noseclip just looks wierd when you look at it straight on. But it definately gives the car a better side profile. I would worry about the front end much though, cause in any Firebird, the only thing people will see are your talipipes.

The 93-97 Camaro looks flat out ugly. The 98- redesign was exactly what it needed. The Firebirds always have and always will look good. ESCPECIALLY the new ones, they look gorgeous.

But by now, you've prolly made your own decisions on what looks better, as for performance Firebirds always edge out Camaros nowadays due to minor tweaks done by Pontiac and also its sleek design. But to my knowledge there wasn't much of a difference in 3rd gens. Reading out of the back of Road&Track the specs for a Firebird are a tad more impressive than for the Camaro.

Handling on both cars are equally great. Firebirds may look like they're a little higher off the ground which would mess up its center of gravity, but when looking at it up close you'll find they're quite equal.

Here's the bottom line, you can't lose with either one. They're both superb cars with wonderful handling and great performers. My past post may sound like i'm a bit biased, but i honestly love 'em both equally. Except the firebird will always hold a special place with me since it was my first car.
Old 01-05-2001, 05:23 PM

I think camaros have always looked alot nicer then the Firebirds. Based on some of the minor appearance factors that everyone else has brought up and that idont care to repeat. But even tho i think the camaros look so much better then the birds... There isnt anything sweeter looking than a 4th Gen TA or Firehawk. Now they really look mean and powerful. With the Ram Air hood... no question. Ive never driven a firebird so i cant talk about performance.
Old 01-06-2001, 12:39 AM

Car: 92 Formula
Engine: L98
Transmission: A4
Hmmmm....

There was a camaro in "Money Train"

My vote goes to the 91-92 Rs!

But one day I will own a 79' TA along with an '89 TA ragtop.....
I cant wait to see my garage in about ten years...

------------------
http://kiztope.50megs.com
92 Rs 3.1/T-5
KYB Shocks and Struts, Blue Streak cap and rotor, neato new radiator!, RapidFire plugs

An overhead console!!
Clarion Head Unit,
Pioneer 6x9's,Cerwin Vega Plate 4x6's
Its slowly but surely coming along....

AIM : Theonekiztope
Planetarion: 3GFB kiztope of kiztopia-Camera-92RS-A (33:6:14(?))

"No one knows until they learn" Leon Calrinsky (99)
Old 01-06-2001, 06:54 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 CAMARO 1968 FIREBIRD
Engine: CAMARO 3.1L FIREBIRD 455
Transmission: CAMARO 700R4 FIREBIRD TH-400
Ok heres how i stand lol
67-69 Camaro's kick *** and so does the 69 trans am. Yes i have seen one in person and parked next to one.
70-81 Trans AM's 79 the best
all 3rd gen camaros
all 4th gen trans am perferbly 99 and up
i just think the 3rd gen camaros have a mean stance to them that the bird doesent
Old 01-06-2001, 07:15 PM
Banned

I love a 1992 Camaro with a turbo Trans Am engine in it! Hopefully one day I will own one of those cars
Old 01-06-2001, 07:21 PM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kyle F:
to prove my point how many cool movies or shows have been made with a Camaro in it. Smoky and the Bandit, Knight Rider(My personal Fav), the smashed one in 60 Seconds, Kid Rocks video Cowboy, and others.

Alot of maro movies. And plus the maro was around before the firebird so HAHA!

All the cool people have a Trans Am

And you own a trans am? UGH!!! Trying hard not to come up with a smart *** comment!
Old 01-06-2001, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 89 TTA
Engine: Turbo 3.8
Transmission: 200R4
Wasn't there a 68' Camaro Trans Am? If you can choose just one then get it both.
Old 01-06-2001, 10:12 PM
Banned

......I dont think so. But Camaro did race IN the trans am series.
Old 01-06-2001, 11:30 PM
Banned

Once again Monkie you didn't read everything I posted. I saaid easy guys it was just a joke.

There was no 68 Camaro Trans Am. The Trans Aam debuted in 69.

The Camaro did not come before the Firebird, they both started in 67(actually late in fall of 66) just the Z28 RPO code cam before Pontiac made the Trans Am package available. The Z28 was not mass marketed till '69 (My mom had one of these in Blue with White racing stripes) though you could order a car equiped with the 302 and suspension stuff in 67 or 68. This was just not marketed till 69 to the general public. If you knew what it was it was a simple as checking a box on the order form.
Old 01-06-2001, 11:59 PM

My favorite is the 89 TTA but I have own both. 69 Camaro SS Pace Car and 70 Z28 both at the same time. My first wife got the 70 Z and traded it for a Datsun B210. 78 Z28, 68 SS Camaro, 78 Trans Am Gold Bandit edition, 87 GTA and my 89 TTA.

Old 01-07-2001, 12:34 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.7 V8 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5-Speed Manual
I personally prefer the Camaro (85-92, don't care for the kinda squareish front end of the 82-84) over the 'Bird, Im not too fond of the Pop-Up headlamps :P Now a new Ram-Air T/A that Kicks A$$ over the new Camaro (the A$$-End is to FAT)

[This message has been edited by CanadianCamaro (edited January 07, 2001).]
Old 01-07-2001, 05:43 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 99 WS6 / 00 SS / 11 CTS-V / 13 300
Engine: LS1 / LS1 / LSA / 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 4L60E / T-56 / 6L80E / W5A80
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.42 Auburn / 3.23 / 2.62
dudelovett,

The Firebird weighs more than the Camaro because of the pop-up headlights. I have an Automobile Magazine test of an '87 Formula, GTA, and IROC, and the 305 IROC 5 speed was 100 lbs lighter than even the Formula. Go figure...

Tas,
I would love to see info of where you have seen a Formula beat a Camaro, either 3rd or 4th gen. I got 20 years of road tests that prove otherwise. Even in LS1 guise, the Formula or T/A has always been .2 behind to 60. I have a website full of info if you don't believe me

Old 01-07-2001, 06:51 PM

Seriously?

I cant see the healight unit/motor adding over 100 lbs to the car!
Old 01-07-2001, 10:47 PM

I had an 86 firebird and just bought a 92 camaro RS... and my vote has to go to the camaro.. it just rides nicer and lookes better, it is red with black racing stripes and t-tops..much more a chick magnet than the bird.. but I must say the bird treated me nice, and what the hell... if its a 3rd gen it has to be sweet, but my opinion is the camaro is better...
Old 01-07-2001, 10:50 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
91-92 GTAs, preferably black with the L98 (preferably modded). I still get people asking me if it is a C5 Corvette when they see it from the front.
Old 01-07-2001, 11:34 PM
Supreme Member

LOL, pop up headlighs are NOT an extra 100lbs. There's no way.....have you ever heald the entire assembly?
Old 01-08-2001, 07:26 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
My L98 GTA only weighs 3,410 lbs, with no driver and minimal gas. I have seen Camaros that way more.

As for the pop-up head lights weighing more, I would say that my aluminum drive shaft, aluminum rear drums and cross-laced rims save a heck of a lot more weight than the additional weight for the pop-up head lights (like a couple of pounds max).

I thnk there can be a bigger weight difference in just between the weight of the drivers.
Old 01-13-2001, 11:47 PM

Car: 2002 Grand Am GT
Engine: 3400 V6
Transmission: Automatic
Let's see...Third gen comparison:
Camaro:
- "Tougher" type of look, but aren't those lights aerodymamic death? (Well, then again, on the "birds...)
- Better rims (like those 5 spokes better)
- More well known outside of F-body circles (i.e. more Camaro books than Firebird ones)
Firebird:
- Sleeker, more refined look
- Gotta love the pop up lights, they impress anyone!
- Better spoilers than on the Camaros
- Better "logo" (like that "Chicken")
- Better interior seats (or so I heard...)
- More aerodynamic (until the lights go up)
Old 01-18-2001, 01:38 AM

i think 95% of ALL ponchos are ugly. a 69 judge or an early 70s TA are nice but when it comes down to thirdgens, i would only take a pre 90 GTA, and Tom Keliher's bird, however i would take any 85 and up camaro even with a V6. The main thing is i WOULD NEVER take ANY ford

------------------
when the green flag drops the bull$hit stops

Curent: 350,performer RPM intake ,650dp, 700r4, headers, 3inch exhast
Spring 01: 406, Comp 282 solid cam, 2400 stall converter, every thing else the same.
Old 01-19-2001, 12:13 AM

It really doesn't matter which one we think is better, because they're both better than Mustangs.

Mustangs are sorry when compared to F-bodies

btw, I own a 92 firebird w/a 3.1 V6