V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Which is better reseal compressor or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is better reseal compressor or replace?

I need to either replace the seals in my a/c compressor or replace the compressor altogether. The one currently in the car is a Harrison 4351. This is an 88 with the 2.8l V6. Are there seals available for this compressor that I can buy or am I stuck trying to get the a/c shop to reseal it? If so, any tips on where to purchase them? Or, is the best bet just replacing the compressor with a new one? This car is going to be my daughter's daily driver so I want to make sure the a/c works as best as possible being in the hot southern AZ desert. There are several other minor things to work out on the car but the a/c is something that is a requirement here!!

I had the system leaked checked and the shop says the system is leaking through the front seal of the compressor, they said the compressor sounds and runs good with exception of the leaking seal. One of the hoses has a tear in the outer rubber but is not leaking so I bought a new assembly to replace it. I have also bought a new receiver/dryer and orifice tube. I want to convert it over to 134a so I bought all the new parts to go on just have not been able to find a seal kit for the compressor yet. All the new parts are waiting to go on until I decide what is best with regards to the compressor. I just had back surgery and the wife got word she got a full time position at her work so I need to get this car finished so I can let me daughter drive it instead of my truck.

Any help would definitely be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by 62Rampsidekid; 08-15-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Re: Which is better reseal compressor or replace?

You're better off getting a rebuilt one. Even if it sounds okay now, there's no telling how far gone other seals and parts inside are. I also hope you got the right o-rings for the R-134 (green ones) and some compressor oil.

:edit: Oh, and make sure to put the ACCUMULATOR on last, as once you open it, you only have a couple of minutes to have open lines before you need to replace it.

Last edited by Maverick H1L; 08-15-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:09 PM

Thanks, for the heads up on the accumulator. I have a couple of things to do before replacing the a/c parts but will make that the last thing to install. I think I am going to go ahead with a new compressor, the price difference between a new and rebuilt compressor is fairly small so why not go new!

I did notice the new compressor is a GM r4, what is the difference if any between a GM R4 and the Harrison 4351 that is currently installed on the car? Thanks!
Old 08-15-2010, 10:36 PM

I think you should definitely go new. A few years ago I redid my ac system with all new components with the exception of the compressor which was rebuilt. I got the components from advanced auto. I had the system professionally installed at a buddy's shop. He advised against the rebuilt compressor but I was trying to cut cost. Long story short I went through 3 compressors in a 3 month period. All of them locked up, 1 instantly seized as soon as I turned the system on. The third compressor actually came from Napa. I can't fault my friend, he vac'd the system each time and made sure the compressor was oiled. As of now my ac works kind of, I ended up reinstalling the original compressor which works but leaks out the front seal. I charge it once or twice a season. It doesn't get really cold, but its better than nothing.

Last edited by aviator84; 08-15-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: edited for spelling
Old 08-16-2010, 12:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird.
Engine: 383 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.27:1 Diskbrakes

I resealed mine, the seal was 22$. But, I also had all the proper tools for doing so. My A/c blows pretty cool and I converted it to R134.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

I believe that the Harrison number is their number for the GM R4... Both of my service manuals go through the procedures for repairing the R4, so I would assume the parts are the same.