V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

egr delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
egr delete

the egr valve on the exhaust manifold part one of the bolts is broken off and it's not a real big deal to have it...i will block it off and understand it will throw a code but will not affect performance or driveability... is this correct

In doing this what would i do with that dang egr vacuum solenoid thing. mine has a broken plastic vacuum nipple on it anyway...can i jump some wires and make that go away or could i rig it up some how...i just want this thing to run right. but eliminate some stuff..

i dont have a vacuum diagram for this car...all i know is that it was built in mid 89 and has a 2.8 and auto...is there a way to simplify the vacuum lines or any thing. any help is appreciated...thanks in advance
Old 08-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Re: egr delete

come on all the views and no reply..i've done alot of searching.. but all my questions aren't answered. i still need to know what wires need a resistor on the vac modulator to get it to run right and what vaccums can be deleted and where to run the vaccums i will have left from the modulator delete...input anyone
Old 08-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

Well, you're catching yourself in a lose-lose situation. The ONLY way to permanently delete the EGR is to reprogram the PROM in the ECM. You can't just put in a resistor and call it a day. If the ECM finds an incorrect signal on the sensor wires when it triggers the EGR either on or off, it WILL throw a code 32. If you connect the sensor to a vacuum source (either manifold or ported vacuum) directly so that the sensor has vacuum either full time or when the throttle plate is opened and the ECM hasn't commanded EGR, the ECM WILL throw a code 32.

Not having EGR makes the engine run hotter. Could be a problem if you're already somewhere that's hot.

Best bet is to just drill out the bolt and rethread the hole. It's not that hard, just have to remove some crud to get enough room for the drill. Leave the EGR tube in place as a guide.

If you insist on removing it, you WILL need to rethread the hole regardless as you WILL need something to plug the hole in the manifold with (unless you want to be venting hot exhaust into the engine bay, melting plug wires and possibly the alternator guts). The solenoid can be deleted with no problems, just run the vacuum line running from the throttle body straight to the charcoal canister.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:46 PM

i don't care so much to fix the egr but the guy i got it from broke the solenoid and one of the plastic nipples to connect a vac line to the solenoid.