V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Hello, first post of many hopefully

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: No car presently, license suspended
Hello, first post of many hopefully

'Sup guys.
My name's Rob, I'm 31, from Philly, I been delivering pizzas mainly since I was 18. I also worked at Maaco, I paint cars, do some light body work, and some tune-up type basic auto maintainence...
Being in pizza delivery, Ive pretty much stuck to Japanese 4-cyl cars, my fave being the 88-91 Prelude Si, its a 2.0 with a close ratio 5-speed...
Ive had 30 or so cars last time I counted, most of them I bought to fix up and sell, if you buy a beat up old Prelude or CRX or something like that for $600, bondo where needed and spray some Omni in a hot color, then post a bunch of pics on Craigslist, some kid will come from 2 states over like, the next day, with $1500 cash and drive it home. So I do that... I got some pics of cars I painted....
The only Chevy I ever had was a 2.8 powered Z24 with a 5 speed, was a '88, loved that motor and loved the car despite the fact that it didnt run right half the time... I had a glasspack pipe muffler and it sounded MEAN... Compared to the Hondas anyway...

My next car I would like to be a third gen Camaro. I would like a V6 with a 5 speed, and I will make it look as much like the yellow IROC-Z as possible, without actually saying IROC or Z28 aywhere on it....

Basically a V6 Camaro with IROC front, sides ad rear, IROC hood and wheels, and the colorful stripes, but no IROC-Z decal on the door, and anywhere the ground effects say Z28 I will fill in so it doesnt look like I'm trying to trick anyone. Oh, and a fresh paintjob, factory IROC yellow, I'm gonna need the name and code for that color if anyone has it....

As far as performance, just a cheap cherry bomb muffler and a K&N should be eough, maybe the deletion of any unnecessary weight or options that dont work anymore....

I know it wont be any kind of fast, I dont care. I know the Camaro weighs several hundred pounds more than my Z24 did, with the same motor, I dont care, I'm not looking to win any races...

I would like to hear any comments about my idea positive or negative, and if you guys could give me some general advice on what to look for and what to steer clear of, I would really love to find a car with the t-tops....

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Camaro 'Vert
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Hello, first post of many hopefully

Well I like that your not looking to straight up clone an IROC or Z28. A lot of the newer Camaro's come with "RS" badged ground fx, so you could probably just use those, as the "RS" label wouldn't be a stretch, or may possibly be perfectly accurate.

There are a lot of V6 enthusiasts on this board, and a few of them have swapped in one of the newer 3.X liter engines into their car, and get some awesome power with it.

As for what to look for and steer clear of, check the floorpans, they are one of the first things to rot. Also check to see if the T tops are leaking, or if the spaces are wrong, as the car might be twisting. Check the steering column, if it bends after putting a little pressure down on it, you'd need to do some rather annoying work on the steering column.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: No car presently, license suspended
Re: Hello, first post of many hopefully

thanks campin.
I figure if I decide later down the road I can always drop in a V8...

Is there a thread for pictures of V6-powered thirdgens only??