V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Bogging/rough idle/backfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bogging/rough idle/backfire

Ok so i bought the car for 600. did the amazing tune up found the shorts/draws. pressure hoses, fuses, alternator, plugs, plug wires, tensioner, serp belt, timing fixed, pvc valve, wiring examined/organized, Basically got it running pretty damn good. compression is good. took it to the muffler shop to get a straight pipe put on were the cat was cut out. Still bogs when i let off the gas. idles then starts to lose rpm at stop lights. shut off at least 5 times to and from muffler shop. just changed the fuel filter. any suggestions?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 2.8v6
Transmission: 700 R4
Re: Bogging/rough idle/backfire

I had some similar issues. These things are prone to having vacuum leaks. We are dealing with 20+ year old hoses and lines. Get a can of Sea Foam and run at least half thru the gas tank and use a vacuum line to pull the rest thru the intake. Let it sit for 20 min or so after you pull it thru the vacuum line, then start it. It will smoke like crazy, but it cleans out the top end real nice. Does it run ok when it's cold, and how is the idle?
Old 05-05-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

took it in to the shop of my dads friend and let him drive it. he said the running part is fine seems to be a bad sensor on the throttle body. probably a busted tranny mount also. anyone know prices for a service engine soon computer for this model? also i need a new tachometer. mines completely wacked. were to find and prices?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:58 PM

TPS sensor is on the side of the throttle body. Most of the sensors are reasonably priced and should be available at your local auto parts store. There is a document in the FAQ section on how to replace the trans mount. Check the for sale forums, or put up a post in the parts wanted section, and you should have your parts in no time. Prices here always seem fair. Usually just guys trying to help another third gen owner. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

I would remove the throttle body completely and clean all of the carbon off and out of it before I went ahead and replaced any sensors. Just undo the 2 bolts holding it to the upper plenum and look at the throttle plate... It's probably black as the ace of spades. And, along with that, so is the idle air control motor (with 4 wires, at the top of the TB pointed towards the pass side wheel) that controls how much air flows into the engine. Clean all of the carbon out of the IAC air passage and the pintle on the IAC as well, and reassemble everything.

Also, depending on the year of the car, if it's a 90-92 car, you will probably want to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery. Search for "Idle Relearn Procedure" when this is done. Even if it's not a 90-92 car, your ECM may need this regardless, but you won't need to do an idle relearn.

Another thing that could cause this is old, stale gas. I also agree with changing the fuel filter and running SeaFoam or similar through the fuel system and intake.

:edit: Trans mount takes a floor jack, a 15mm socket, and 15 minutes. Put the jack under the trans, undo the 4 bolts and the nut on the crossmember, undo the 2 bolts holding the mount on, and reverse to install.

Tachometer is independant of the ECM, and can be found in most any V6 car. You can't just swap in one from an 8 cylinder without swapping a resistor or capacitor on the circuit board to make it read properly. Although, if it bounces around a lot, this could be indicative of a failing or failed ignition module.

Also, don't know where you live, but you at least need a cat shell to pass visual inspection in most states.

Last edited by Maverick H1L; 05-05-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:59 PM

Forgot to even mention the throttle body and IAC. I just cleaned mine for the first time, since I just got the car, and it was nasty. I think I used almost a whole can of cleaner. I think it finally quit raining so I can work on it again. I had some strange tach operation, reseated the connections for the ignition mod, and removed the tach and cleaned the connections, and it's all good now.