V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

small fender bender

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
small fender bender

Last year I had a small accident that messed up the frame where the front bumper mounts. I straightened them as much as I could and pulled the front clip from a parts car to put on mine. Its close but not perfect. You can really tell when the hood isn't closed cause it sits about 1-2" higher on the drivers side. From looking online it seems that some people cut the frame ends off of another car and weld them onto their car. I've still got the parts car that has perfect frame ends. Does anyone know how I would go about doing this? I'm not sure how I would ensure everything is aligned properly.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1996 Camaro, 1985 Camaro
Engine: 3.8, 3.4
Transmission: WC T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23(?), 3.42
Re: small fender bender

You'll need to be more specific as to the extent and location of the damage, first off these cars don't have frames in the traditional sense, there aren't two rails that run the full length of the vehicle. There is a section of frame in the front and rear called subframes which attach to the unibody of the car for the middle section structure. So basically in the middle, the car body itself is the structure.
If you messed up just the front subframe, remove it and try to get it straightened out, if not get a new subframe, if you messed up the unibody structure about all you can do is repair it, I don't know offhand how much you would have to replace to use a new unibody, but I'm guessing it would be like half the car...
And as a side note, might be better off posting in the chassis/suspension forum area, those guys probably know more.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:54 PM

I'll try posting over there as well. I realize these are unibody cars and don't have frames. The location of the damage is to the front subframe where the front bumper(not the cover the actual bumper) bolts to the car. The two mounting points have been crushed inwards and down a bit. Someone else referred to them as frame "horns" but I don't think that is the correct term? I wish I had taken photos. If I have to replace the entire front subframe that would be a huge repair. I mean there isn't anyway to do that without removing everything in front of the firewall right?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1996 Camaro, 1985 Camaro
Engine: 3.8, 3.4
Transmission: WC T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23(?), 3.42

I'm honestly not sure how involved it is to replace one, my car expertise is limited on things other than engines and audio installation...Learning as I go type of thing. Best thing is probably to see if a shop can bend it back, or if you yourself can, or possibly cut out a section and weld new metal in...its rly hard to say without seeing it =/
Where did the car actually impact something(on the car itself) and what did it hit?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:19 PM

I ran into the back of a Cadillac. Impact was probably at about 10-15mph. it wrinkled the hood and pushed the front nose down. No real damage to the Cadillac. I'm creating a new post in the chassis section too to see if I can find out what other people are doing about problems like this.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 3.1...not hardly stock
Transmission: 700r4....not stock either
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I would say you could probably cut what you need off of a donor car and weld it on yours. That's not an area thats going to see much in the way of loads, other than in the event of another accident. But, certainly should be repairable.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Car: 1988 iroc-z
Engine: 350 Vortec TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 4th gen Torsen 10bolt

agreed,cut and line it up and weld it.

no big deal if you have to add some sheet metal.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears

Originally Posted by aviator84
I'll try posting over there as well. I realize these are unibody cars and don't have frames. The location of the damage is to the front subframe where the front bumper(not the cover the actual bumper) bolts to the car. The two mounting points have been crushed inwards and down a bit. Someone else referred to them as frame "horns" but I don't think that is the correct term? I wish I had taken photos. If I have to replace the entire front subframe that would be a huge repair. I mean there isn't anyway to do that without removing everything in front of the firewall right?
Originally Posted by 3rd gen RS
I'm honestly not sure how involved it is to replace one, my car expertise is limited on things other than engines and audio installation...Learning as I go type of thing. Best thing is probably to see if a shop can bend it back, or if you yourself can, or possibly cut out a section and weld new metal in...its rly hard to say without seeing it =/
Where did the car actually impact something(on the car itself) and what did it hit?
Basically your best bet is cutting them off a donor car as far back as you can manage and welding them onto your car. Sometimes you can simply bend them enough to use spacers (washers) to line the bumper cover back up. I would get some small sections of plate steel to reinforce them once welded back into place. Just to be sure. A "Z" cut and weld is a good method for providing a strong foundation for the repair. By "Z" cut I am refering to cutting the frame horn off in a zig zag pattern instead of a straight cut.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:59 AM

Thanks for all of the reply's guys. I'm going to cut the mounts off the donor car before we junk it.