V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Hood swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: Auto
Hood swap

Does the 1992 Iroc/Z28 hood fit on the 3.1 V6 RS without any modification?
Just bought a 92 RS yesterday and the hood is trashed, was wanting to put the IROC hood on.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L +bolt ons
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser forged, 3.73, SLP posi
Re: Hood swap

Yes. Any 3rd gen Camaro hood will work.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:49 PM

See entry below.

Last edited by Snappy; 02-27-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Duplicate entry
Old 02-27-2010, 01:50 PM

I bought one of Hawks Third Generation's Sunoco fiberglass hoods (supposed made in Easley, SC) from Bruce Hawkins himself. I drove my Jeep and trailer a long way to pick it up. Later, I took my 1986 Camaro and the Sunoco hood to a restoration shop in Texas for installation and paint. Well, that Sunoco hood is a piece of junk that doesn't fit worth a damn. I have pictures to prove it. The hood's dimension's were nowhere close (way too small/narrow) to those of an original GM steel hood. My car is pristine and has never had any front end damage whatsover. My original GM steel hood fit great and had very consistent, close gaps all the way around. I sent the pictures to Bruce and called him to tell him about all this. He told me to adjust my front fenders to accommodate the Sunoco hood and close up the huge gaps. That is ridiculous! My fenders are where they are supposed to be as dictated by the dimensions of the original GM steel hood. Even if there were enough fender adjustment to close the huge gaps between the Sunoco hood and the fenders, it would have deformed (squeezed/mashed in) my front facia. Simply put, an aftermarket hood should fit (or be able to be made to fit by trimming down) the car; the car shouldn’t have to be made to fit the hood. That is ***-backwards. Also, when installed, the rear of the Sunoco hood would not sit down flush with the fenders. It sat up way too tall at the hinge bolting area. There is no adjustment possible anywhere in that area (either on the hood or on the hinges). In short, to make that Sunoco hood work on my (or any undamaged) car, one would have to essentially re-engineer it and spend mega hours doing fiberglass work to widen it, etc. By the time all was said and done, one would have thousands of dollars in that fiberglass hood. (It would be better to commission someone to make a hood completely from scratch—which is what I ended up doing.) After much persuading, Bruce finally told me that he would refund the cost of the hood and the cost to ship it back to him. I received a check for the hood, but never received the $109.62 shipping that he promised me. (A man that doesn’t keep his word is a cockroach.) He later sent me a picture of another Sunoco hood installed (and painted) on another car and tried to pass it off as the hood that I returned to him. No Bruce, I wasn’t born yesterday. As it stands now, I am out the cost of shipping and the cost (in labor hours) of the staff at the restoration shop trying in vain to fit that junky Sunoco hood on my car. By Bruce’s own admission (after having viewed its web site), the restoration shop that I used is one of the best in the country. You can contact Bruce Hawkins at brucehawkins@hawksthirdgenparts.com. Good luck. My advice to you is this: Don’t expect Bruce to care about customer service, part quality, or keeping his word. As for me, I plan to collect my refund in person. I will not argue back and forth regarding this matter. I said what I wanted to say.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Premium Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Snappy
I bought one of Hawks Third Generation's Sunoco fiberglass hoods (supposed made in Easley, SC) from Bruce Hawkins himself. I drove my Jeep and trailer a long way to pick it up. Later, I took my 1986 Camaro and the Sunoco hood to a restoration shop in Texas for installation and paint. Well, that Sunoco hood is a piece of junk that doesn't fit worth a damn. I have pictures to prove it. The hood's dimension's were nowhere close (way too small/narrow) to those of an original GM steel hood. My car is pristine and has never had any front end damage whatsover. My original GM steel hood fit great and had very consistent, close gaps all the way around. I sent the pictures to Bruce and called him to tell him about all this. He told me to adjust my front fenders to accommodate the Sunoco hood and close up the huge gaps. That is ridiculous! My fenders are where they are supposed to be as dictated by the dimensions of the original GM steel hood. Even if there were enough fender adjustment to close the huge gaps between the Sunoco hood and the fenders, it would have deformed (squeezed/mashed in) my front facia. Simply put, an aftermarket hood should fit (or be able to be made to fit by trimming down) the car; the car shouldn’t have to be made to fit the hood. That is ***-backwards. Also, when installed, the rear of the Sunoco hood would not sit down flush with the fenders. It sat up way too tall at the hinge bolting area. There is no adjustment possible anywhere in that area (either on the hood or on the hinges). In short, to make that Sunoco hood work on my (or any undamaged) car, one would have to essentially re-engineer it and spend mega hours doing fiberglass work to widen it, etc. By the time all was said and done, one would have thousands of dollars in that fiberglass hood. (It would be better to commission someone to make a hood completely from scratch—which is what I ended up doing.) After much persuading, Bruce finally told me that he would refund the cost of the hood and the cost to ship it back to him. I received a check for the hood, but never received the $109.62 shipping that he promised me. (A man that doesn’t keep his word is a cockroach.) He later sent me a picture of another Sunoco hood installed (and painted) on another car and tried to pass it off as the hood that I returned to him. No Bruce, I wasn’t born yesterday. As it stands now, I am out the cost of shipping and the cost (in labor hours) of the staff at the restoration shop trying in vain to fit that junky Sunoco hood on my car. By Bruce’s own admission (after having viewed its web site), the restoration shop that I used is one of the best in the country. You can contact Bruce Hawkins at brucehawkins@hawksthirdgenparts.com. Good luck. My advice to you is this: Don’t expect Bruce to care about customer service, part quality, or keeping his word. As for me, I plan to collect my refund in person. I will not argue back and forth regarding this matter. I said what I wanted to say.

Hi Lee,
I figured I would get some TRASHING emails such as this after your last threatening emails I received. To everyone reading, all is true that Lee claims except the part where he says I said I guarenteed to refund his shipping along with the hood refund. I did explain to Lee that since we had not had any other fitment problems with these hoods that if he paid to ship it back I would have my paint shop install and paint the hood ( out of my pocket) on one of our shop cars, if we had fitment problems I would not only refund the hood cost but also the shipping. When we fitted the hood on the car and painted everything went very smoothly and had no problems which is the reason the shipping was NOT refunded as explained to Lee. After that I recieved nasty threatening emails stating I better do this and that or else, I will not be threatened into doing anything that is not right, all of my customers know I am not out to steal from anyone as if I was I would not have refunded the hood cost. Also when I would speak with the customer on the phone and explain sometimes you have to do slight adjustments to the front of a car for everything to line up perfectly he explained that he and the restoration shop had decided to use his original hood and change to a different style scoop in which I was still willing to get the hood back and check it on one of our cars. So I say all that to say this to Lee please be careful of the threats you make, we make a very good product in which I stand behind 100% and if you like anyone on this board can see the hood Lee received nicely fitted and painted on a car here at the shop so feel free to stop by anytime .
Thanks,Bruce
www.hawksthirdgenparts.com
864-855-2694
Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: Auto

Thank you for the info