V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

baro sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
baro sensor

hello can someone please tell me where the hose that plugs into the baro sensor is supposed to lead to on an 87 2.8L MPFI firebird? I keep getting my SES Light turn on when I drive on the highway for long periods of time. please and thank you for any help
Old 02-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Re: baro sensor

Hmm. That would be a tough thing to do seeing as how the 87 doesn't have a MAP/BARO sensor...

If you could post up some codes, we could help.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:25 PM

welll its flashing code 32 and i replaced the egr and all the hoses. but next to the selonoid mounted on a plate is a sensor with a hose coming out of it going to the egr selonoid, the sensor has a 4 pronged connection and i opened up the sensor and it says pressure sensor. so now im totally confused? lol
Old 02-09-2010, 07:12 AM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by mascarpone
welll its flashing code 32 and i replaced the egr and all the hoses. but next to the selonoid mounted on a plate is a sensor with a hose coming out of it going to the egr selonoid, the sensor has a 4 pronged connection and i opened up the sensor and it says pressure sensor. so now im totally confused? lol
Vacuum diagnostic switch for the EGR solenoid.

RBob.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 maro
Engine: In the works...
Transmission: TH700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

Mine never did anything when I had it hooked up, always has the same reading in the datalogs. Never got a code for it. It hooks up to the egr solenoid with a little 2 port rubber elbow.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:39 PM

okay so it is hooked up correctly, hmm i can't figure out what could be triggering my SES light then. It only comes on when i've been on the highway for about 20 minutes or so and always stays off when i turn the car on and off again unless i go back on the highway. The engine has been completely rebuilt and all the hoses and egr valve are new however the the cansiter is not i changed the filter though. Would it have to be the solenoid? is there anyway to clean or test to see if it works before i drop 100 bones on a new one?
Old 02-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Supreme Member

okay so it is hooked up correctly, hmm i can't figure out what could be triggering my SES light then. It only comes on when i've been on the highway for about 20 minutes or so and always stays off when i turn the car on and off again unless i go back on the highway. The engine has been completely rebuilt and all the hoses and egr valve are new however the the cansiter is not i changed the filter though. Would it have to be the solenoid? is there anyway to clean or test to see if it works before i drop 100 bones on a new one?
What port on the throttle body do you have the vac line hooked into? It could be in the wrong one.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:08 PM

which vac line?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Supreme Member

which vac line?
The one for the EGR and canister purge valve...
Old 02-10-2010, 12:39 PM

the egr solenoid has a 2 hose connection coming out of it. the top one plugs directly into the egr valve and the bottom one leads to the throttle body. there are 2 hoses coming out of the canister purge valve one leads to the 2 hose connection on the solenoid the other leads to my pcv valve on the drivers side. im confused about the 2 vacuum lines coming out of my throttle body, one leads to the egr solenoid the other plugs into a part under my intake manifold that i can't really see. this might be way too confusing to be able to tell if its hooked up right, but if anyone can make sense of what i just said please let me know, thanks
Old 02-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

Alright. The canister should have 2 lines coming off of it after all of the plastic stuff, a big one and a little one. The little one is the one we're focusing on, and should be T'd into the line running to the lower port on the EGR solenoid. This line should be coming from the OUTER (left most) port on the throttle body. The line in the port to the right of that is only for the fuel pressure regulator, under the upper plenum and just behind the throttle body. Anyways, you need to make sure you have a vacuum signal either at the EGR valve or the small canister purge hose (or both because something could be clogged). Keep in mind that this line will only show a couple of inches of vacuum until the throttle plate is opened (ported vacuum).

Also, if your car still has the Emissions Hose Routing sticker, refer to that to make sure the hoses are all connected properly in relation to the EGR solenoid and valve.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 PM

I dont have a sticker anymore but i'll check to make sure the lines are plugged into the throttle body correctly. when you said outer most port to the left did you mean the left side if im standing in front of the car facing it or the left side if im inside the car?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Supreme Member

Facing the engine, the EGR being on the left side...

:edit: No, sorry. I checked my pic of mine and the EGR feed line is supposed to be the one in the middle, the FPR one on the left, and a blanked out large one on the right.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:26 PM

Ok so after reading your edit i went out and checked the two lines running into the throttle body and they were mixed up. so i switched them around and hopefully this will cure my problem! i am going on a road trip tomorrow so we will see. Would having these two lines mixed up this entire time make any significant changes to my engine performance and/or gas mileage? i've been driving it like that since i rebuilt the engine almost 20k miles ago..
Old 02-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Supreme Member

Ok so after reading your edit i went out and checked the two lines running into the throttle body and they were mixed up. so i switched them around and hopefully this will cure my problem! i am going on a road trip tomorrow so we will see. Would having these two lines mixed up this entire time make any significant changes to my engine performance and/or gas mileage? i've been driving it like that since i rebuilt the engine almost 20k miles ago..
Nope, that won't help your problem. It just meant that the solenoid was hooked to constant vacuum instead of ported, but it may help your idle as the fuel pressure will be where it's supposed to be at idle. Since you had a constant vacuum source at the EGR and it was still throwing a code, you'll need to do some other testing.

Set the ALDL as though you're pulling codes (jump A to B and turn the ignition on but not the engine), and, if you have a hand vacuum pump, apply vacuum to the solenoid inlet (the bottom of the rubber elbow connection). If the vacuum holds but the EGR valve doesn't move, the solenoid is bad.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:29 PM

its gotta be the solenoid, i've replaced all the hoses and egr valve since i finished the engine rebuild... i haven't been able to find one for under 100 dollars though, is this going to affect my gas mileage as my daily driver or more just on the highway?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:45 PM

so i remembered that my engine over heated while i was chillin in a drive through line one day waiting for my food over the summer and since it turned to winter my engine has been running with a fail thermostat that i never changed after it over heated my car has been running at 160 degrees. i just changed it and its runnin normal at 190 now and i switched the vacuum lines that were going into my throttle body and it seems to have fixed the problem no more SES light! thanks a bunch