V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Why not supercharge the v6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird
Engine: soon to be 3.4/3400
Why not supercharge the v6?

I was just wondering why not? Everybody is looking at turboing their 6 but it seem much more cheaper and easier to SC it. If im right am eaton m90 off an 80s thunderbird could be had for about $300 or less. Ive already removed my AC so wouldnt it be easy enough to remote mount the SC upside down in place of the AC? Also im really not sure what all is need. I read something about a bypass, im assuming that kinda like a BOV, then you would want an intercooler($100+/-). Then all thats left is the piping and larger injectors and possibly a tune but you would need that for the turbo as well. Is that it?
Old 12-04-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 T firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: t5
Re: Why not supercharge the v6?

Good idea. do it and post the pics. my long long term plan involves a supercharger at some point - remote mount. my aircon is also removed :-)
im a big blower fan for hp accross the whole rev range, good for a daily.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:56 PM

Car: 84 sport coupe
Engine: stock lg4
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock?

crankshaft puley thats matched to SC pulley, custom mounting bracket, some kind of "hat" for the output on the eaton, some way to get your MAF before the intake of the SC, and then everything else you mentioned. Im sure it would be easier to use a vortech type of blower since they are meant to be remote mounted, not on top of the intake manifold. But other than that turbos dont require well designed/very rigid mountin brackets, or custom machined crank pullies.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:58 PM

Car: 1988 Trans Am, 2005 Sierra 2500
Engine: Vortec 357
Transmission: Built TH700R4 with 26-2800 Stall
Axle/Gears: GM 10 bolt 3.73 Posi

In general, superchargers can and most time are more efficent because they have no lag unlike turbos, but its been proven bigger HP numbers/gains can come from a turbo motor then a supercharged motor, mainly because turbos run off the exhaust gasses an engine creates and a supercharger generates power from the rotation of the rotating assembly (crankshaft,pistons, ect..) thus pulling more air in creating a faster burn. But it is easier to tune with a SC then a turbo.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:33 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65

I'll disagree with the above post. I've read over and over again that turbos are more efficient. You dont have drag on the pullys. Also, a GOOD turbo will have little to no lag in todays designs... if also built right.

I say the turbo is easier, likely cheaper, and more efficient then the s/c. And I personally have a s/c car, and would like to s/c the other.

To each there own. As the first reply said, do it and post pics. Its your car.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:26 PM

Car: 84 sport coupe
Engine: stock lg4
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock?

Originally Posted by TADailyDriver
In general, superchargers can and most time are more efficent because they have no lag unlike turbos, but its been proven bigger HP numbers/gains can come from a turbo motor then a supercharged motor, mainly because turbos run off the exhaust gasses an engine creates and a supercharger generates power from the rotation of the rotating assembly (crankshaft,pistons, ect..) thus pulling more air in creating a faster burn. But it is easier to tune with a SC then a turbo.

Almost everything you said here is wrong. superchargers are not more efficient in any case. But they do have no lag, if your talking about a roots blower. A centrifugal has as much "lag" as a turbo. And 2nd, lag is almost non existent with modern turbos, and it is incredibly over stated. Being out of your powerband is not turbo lag, its being out of the power band. Blowers have a bigger power band, not less lag. And in theory, a blower and turbo can make the same boost and the same power on the same motor, it comes down to setInup. But you have a massive parasitic loss off of the blower drive. They both work the same way...cramming air into the cylinders. Boost is actually the result of the engine not being able to flow all the air your forcing into it. Thats why when you swap to better heads you lose a ton of boost but pick up a lot of HP. this is much more efficient. Same reason a small factory turbo can run at 20 psi and make X hp and a huge turbo will run at 6 psi and make the same X hp. It all comes down to what parts you can get, and what you are willing to do. A turbo on one of these cars would be much easier, and probably make more power. But a blower is easier to install if you already have headers and an aftermarket exhaust, etc. And third, all the tuning is going to be the same and custom and time consuming on the dyno, regardless what you run.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Several problems come to mind when you start thinking of a supercharger application. Yes like turbos they will give you more power but only in small amounts, It is rare to see high boost supercharger applications, not to say that it couldn't be done just to say that it is rare. Supercharger unlike turbos have a relatively high parasitic power draw. I will give you that superchargers do not promote the "lag" of turbos but today ceramic wheels and ball bearings have limited the "lag" to a barely noticeable effect when it comes to street driving. On the maintenance side of things the supercharger gets great marks, they will not produce the heat in the engine oil that turbos will nor will they cause the coking buildup like a turbo however they do have a belt that needs to be changed and maintained plus it needs to be fitted to the system. Personally I like superchargers, they have a distinct sound and power on demand but they are not as efficient at producing power as turbos.

Either way you go there is a vast amount of fabrication that will go into the systems and are a good solution to adding power. If you do want to build a high pressure supercharger system you will be looking at a Vortech style unit and all the front coolers and piping and what not that you would have in a turbo system. The big problem in this type of system is that the more pressure you want to produce the more power loss will be incurred by the drive system. Remember the parasitic loss is a percentage of power.

The system that would work the best and is the best at producing the power is a hybrid system known as twin charging. In the system typicaly a turbo feeds into a supercharger unit and will nearly 100% nulify the drag the supercharger puts on the engine, you wont gain the efficentcy that a pure turbo system would give you but on that same not the superchager will nulify nearly all the lag that turbo enthusiests are fighting.

With whatever system you want to run good luck, we need more options for adding power.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:40 AM

I also really like the fact that if something goes wrong its as easy as disconnecting the belt and you do not have to worry about stupid exhaust leaks
Old 12-05-2008, 09:06 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

Originally Posted by SageMoonblade
Several problems come to mind when you start thinking of a supercharger application. Yes like turbos they will give you more power but only in small amounts, It is rare to see high boost supercharger applications, not to say that it couldn't be done just to say that it is rare. Supercharger unlike turbos have a relatively high parasitic power draw. I will give you that superchargers do not promote the "lag" of turbos but today ceramic wheels and ball bearings have limited the "lag" to a barely noticeable effect when it comes to street driving. On the maintenance side of things the supercharger gets great marks, they will not produce the heat in the engine oil that turbos will nor will they cause the coking buildup like a turbo however they do have a belt that needs to be changed and maintained plus it needs to be fitted to the system. Personally I like superchargers, they have a distinct sound and power on demand but they are not as efficient at producing power as turbos.

Either way you go there is a vast amount of fabrication that will go into the systems and are a good solution to adding power. If you do want to build a high pressure supercharger system you will be looking at a Vortech style unit and all the front coolers and piping and what not that you would have in a turbo system. The big problem in this type of system is that the more pressure you want to produce the more power loss will be incurred by the drive system. Remember the parasitic loss is a percentage of power.

The system that would work the best and is the best at producing the power is a hybrid system known as twin charging. In the system typicaly a turbo feeds into a supercharger unit and will nearly 100% nulify the drag the supercharger puts on the engine, you wont gain the efficentcy that a pure turbo system would give you but on that same not the superchager will nulify nearly all the lag that turbo enthusiests are fighting.

With whatever system you want to run good luck, we need more options for adding power.

Superchargers have been used in high power applications for a VERY long time. The highest power combinations use a screw type supercharger, these units look a lot like a roots type from the outside, but as their name implies they have rotors that are shaped like screws to higher flow, and velocity of the charge.

That's not to say that centrifugal type superchargers haven't been used in high power applications. The recently Popular Procharger F1 has been used for 4 digit horse power numbers, and very competitively. These are also a gear driven unit with no belt. They mount to the engine just forward of the crank pulley.

"Twincharging" has NEVER worked all that well. Yes it provides some benefits, but a single power adder, super or turbo always seems to work better when optomized than any "optomized" twincharged combination I've seen or come accross. Twincharging seems to be more of a bragging rights idea in the aftermarket or interweebnetz "Heyz0rz look at me, I R teh twincharging my ryde, yo!" The only application it seems to be suited for is a non-high performance application of big trucks (road tractors), where the super and turbo together will give good low and mid RPM power. At higher RPMs one will always become a restriction to the other

When it comes to installation and custom fabriction of such an installation, I prefer the turbo. I'd much rather weld some tubes together, than try to get a perfect belt alignment. Dealing with belt spitting is much more frustration than a couple exhaust leaks, if you have any.

I also prefer the turbo, due to the higher efficiancy, and the fact that it uses otherwise wasted engergy that is in the exhaust to help increase the power output of the engine.

That being said, there's nothing like the sound of a 600+ cu. in. engine with a 14-71 screwcharger running down the back 660, at 200 MPH+ *drool*
Old 12-05-2008, 10:49 AM

"belt spitting" ? what do you mean by that, and also i have V belts so is it possible to use a v-belt pully on the SC? if not why, and whould i have to change all my pullys just so i can use the serpintine thats on the supercharger. Sorry if thats confusing cant figure out how to word what i want to say
Old 12-05-2008, 12:29 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65

Belt splitting is when the belt comes apart from miss-alignment of a pully, damaged pully, etc.

Happens more on the multi-ribbed belts, but can happen on the v-style.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:18 PM

Yes screw type chargers can produce big power but they do it by air volume not by pressure. If you want a high pressure system you need a centrifugal charger. Our engines will not respond well to a screw type application being that we don't have the CID for them to effectively use the large volume. Now this isn't to say they wont work. The M90 has been used effectively on V6 applications but has not produced the gains that the centrifugal units have. Besides I don't know about the rest of you but compressing air makes it hot so if I were to run a supercharger I personally would still run it through a cooler, much easier to do with a centrifugal than a screw but both are possible.

Also there are a few successful kits out for twin charging import cars such as the Skyline and the 3000gt.