V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Fitted the engine(with new freeze plugs!), but won't run :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L 191ci
Transmission: 700R4
Fitted the engine(with new freeze plugs!), but won't run :(

Hi Guy’s,

Ok so I finally fitted my new freeze plugs and got the engine back into the Bird, but I have a puzzling problem. I went to start the engine for the first time, put the key in the ignition all lights worked no problem engine turned over no problem but immediately went up to 3,000rpm squealed like hell and promptly stopped. Tried again only this time put my foot in a little stop it from stalling and managed to keep it going but it still squealed like hell and now smoke was coming from the front so I switched off. Turns out that the air pump pulley was red hot and so I put the squealing down to the air pump being seized. (The cars not been used since last August) I can’t turn the air pump at all, not even with both hands, is it supposed to be like that or should it be as free to spin as the alternator? I can’t remember it ever being free spinning. Anyway, ok I thought I’d try the engine without the belt to see if it would run ok. Well I tried again this time it did start but again it immediately went to 3000rpm then dropped to 1000rpm and kept on doing this over and over, at the same time there was this other squealing sound that sounded like an air leak. The squealing got louder as the engine revs went up and lessened on the run down. The engine isn’t misfiring and sounds quite smooth but it just rockets between 1 and 3,000rpm whilst making this noise. I’ve taken off the plenum the inlet manifold and the LIM. And replaced all the gaskets including sealing the front and rear of the LIM with RTV and pretty sure I did a good job. I’m pretty sure y’all gonna say its the lower inlet manifold gasket or RTV, but I just want to make sure it isn’t anything else before I go through all the hassle of taking the three manifolds off again. I’ve had a good look at all the hoses I’ve taken off and can’t find anything. For information I also changed the distributor compete with module and pick up coil, the pcv valve, the knock sensor the EGR valve, the O2 sensor, cat, and the dreaded freeze plugs.

All the best, Speed.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L
Re: Fitted the engine(with new freeze plugs!), but won't run :(

The air pump should be as free spinning as the alternator.

The other squealing sound you're hearing is more than likely a vacuum leak somewhere...which may be causing your erratic idling...just turn the car on and look for where the sound is coming from, and you'll find your vacuum leak.

The idle could also be being caused by the TPS...is it giving you any error codes?
Old 04-05-2008, 02:45 PM

Car: 89 V6 Camaro
Engine: 2.8
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open diff

Sounds like you need a new AIR pump if it is froze up, it should spin freely. For the revving I would say that it is a bad vaccum leak. Look for any loose rubber/plastic hoses that might also be broken. A vaccum leak could cause what you are describing.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:32 PM

Yeah, I suspect a vacum leak too,I checked all the hoses and they seem fine so I think it might be the LIM. Never let the engine run long enough to actually go hear where its coming from because the sounds that bad! I'll have a look tomorrow and let ya know. Looks like I'm gonna be ordering a new pump too, thought it was a bit funny that it didn't spin!
Thanks for the help so far anyway.

Speed.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Xoferif
The air pump should be as free spinning as the alternator.

The other squealing sound you're hearing is more than likely a vacuum leak somewhere...which may be causing your erratic idling...just turn the car on and look for where the sound is coming from, and you'll find your vacuum leak.

The idle could also be being caused by the TPS...is it giving you any error codes?
No trouble codes Xoferif, it just hunts between 1 & 3000rpm and screams it's head off!
Old 04-05-2008, 09:09 PM

Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L

Odd that it's not even throwing a code for the vacuum leak...
Old 04-05-2008, 09:46 PM

Car: '87 Camaro / '87 Chevy K10
Engine: 3.4L MPFI (soon) / 5.7L TBI
Transmission: 700R4 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / 3.73

I put too little RTV between the LIM and block when I first installed mine and it had a terrible vacuum leak at the back. It never threw a code. Make certain you have enough RTV in that area or you're gonna have a major leak. I'm surprised my engine even ran.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:12 AM

Yeah thats what I'm suspecting forkvoid, I followed the instructions carefully when I replaced the LIM. I had a good amount of RTV squish out the sides of it when I put the LIM on so I guessed it was sealed pretty good. I'm going to try checking all the hoses and re-torque the bolts first before I go through all the hassel of taking the three manifolds off again. Damn!

Speed.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 AM

Car: '87 Camaro / '87 Chevy K10
Engine: 3.4L MPFI (soon) / 5.7L TBI
Transmission: 700R4 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / 3.73

Make sure you got the corners where the LIM meets the head and block. That's where my leaks were.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:44 PM

Ok so I've been out and re tightened all the bolts on the plenum and the intake manifold, re checked all the hoses and hit the ignition. The car started like last time but without the squeal, ran rough at about 3,000rpm but then came down to around 1 to 1500rpm still rough. When i went to just gently blip the gas it shot back up to 3000 and the damn squealing started again! But it did settle at 1000, didn't sound good at all though. I ran it only for about 3 mins because I have'nt got the belt fitted (frozen air pump) so I'll have to wait until i get my air pump before I can leave it running so as to find where the infernal squealing is coming from. I'm still no wiser!

Speed.