V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Why would someone want new rearend gears?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS V6
Engine: 3.1 V6 MFI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 stock
Why would someone want new rearend gears?

As I always say, I'm a noob and I'm still learning. Alot of people on here mention thier yadda yadda something posi rear end gears. What diff does it make? Like maybe 1 for drag racing and a diff for long hauls? Can you get one that engages both wheels instead of just the one back one? If I wanted to get better gas mileage and more traction for driving in the rain, could I find something like that?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:23 AM

Car: '87 Camaro / '87 Chevy K10
Engine: 3.4L MPFI (soon) / 5.7L TBI
Transmission: 700R4 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / 3.73
Re: Why would someone want new rearend gears?

That's what posi is: engages both wheels. ONly engaging one is called 'open'.

It's technically called limited slip differential. Each car company has their own name for their implementation of it; GM calls theirs 'posi-trac', 'posi' for short. Ford has another name, but pretty much everyone calls it posi.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:01 AM

Car: 1984 z28
Engine: BBC
Transmission: TH400

If you want a slower acceleration and better potential top speed, go with a gear like a 2.73. You will be turning less rpms at any given mph, so you will save gas unless you floor it everywhere to compensate for the worse acceleration. If you want a faster acceleration but less top speed, you would want something with a bigger ratio like a 4.11. So at any given mph, the rpms will be higher and you will use more gas. There is more to it then that, but that's the basics of gears
Old 11-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW

Here's a post I made a while back about diff's.

Click me!

And the lower (numerically) the gear ratio, the higher the top speed and slower the acceleration. The higher (numerically) the gear ratio, the quicker the acceleration and lower top speed. For a daily driver most people settle on a 3.27-3.73 or somewhere in there for a fair trade between acceleration/speed/gas mileage.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:38 AM

Car: 92 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by ohiotemplar
As I always say, I'm a noob and I'm still learning. Alot of people on here mention thier yadda yadda something posi rear end gears. What diff does it make? Like maybe 1 for drag racing and a diff for long hauls? Can you get one that engages both wheels instead of just the one back one? If I wanted to get better gas mileage and more traction for driving in the rain, could I find something like that?
one wheel spin burn outs makes you look like a *** lol. sry i like both wheel spinning in a burn out
Old 11-14-2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by KBcobra
one wheel spin burn outs makes you look like a *** lol.
So do v6's
Old 11-14-2007, 03:39 PM

Car: 89 2.8 RS
Engine: the 2.8
Transmission: 700r4 auto
Axle/Gears: stock one wheel squealer

why do people have to do that if you hate the v6 stay out of the section. As far as I've learned doesnt a higher ratio also give you more torque at the wheels?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:43 PM

I responded to ignorance with ignorance, there was no need for the language he used.

But yes, higher gear will create more torque
Old 11-14-2007, 03:57 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65

I wouldnt say it gives you more torque... I would say a combo of trans and gears can better utilize the torque you have by putting it in a different rpm range for how your motor is built.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:59 PM

gearing in cars is the same as on machines, the torque at your wheels will increase with a higher gear than a lower one with the same transmission
Old 11-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 maro
Engine: In the works...
Transmission: TH700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

You can find the best gearing for your car with a little math. You just need to know your tire diameter, rpm peak and your target speed. There's many free gearing calculators on the internet, just do a quick search.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

Originally Posted by Dale
I wouldnt say it gives you more torque... I would say a combo of trans and gears can better utilize the torque you have by putting it in a different rpm range for how your motor is built.

A lower gear (higher numarically), will provide more toroque to the drive wheels than a higher gear (lower numerically). Gears are simply torque multipliers, whihc you can calculate the actual force applied to the wheels if you know a few things, like actual torque production, gear ratio of the gear you are using in the tranny and the final gear ratio. a lower gear (higher numerically) or lower gear 1st as opposed to 2nd, will multiply the torque more than a higher a gear. The numbers geranlly get into the low thousands of ft/lbs in lower gears, at the wheels.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:12 PM

so where could I find a 2.73 posi for my car?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Supreme Member

Summit, jegs, ect. Or you could grab an axle off a 4th gen and bolt it up. Most of what you'll find in a junkyard are 3.23's, but stay conservative. You'll suffer in the acceleration dept. if you go to 2.73's, and how often do you plan to go very fast anyway? You'll be much happier with numerically higher gears and better acceleration in the city anyway.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Supreme Member

82-02 7.5 and 7.625" 10 bolt parts are interchangeable, as long as you have the proper size carrier, and right axle spline count (and axle length, but that's a given). A lot of people upgrade to the 98-02 Zexel Torsen rear from the LS1 cars. SLP made a suped up Zexel Torsen, but like most of their thirdgen inventory, it's no longer available.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Supreme Member

I upgraded mostly for the discs, didn't want to make an adapter for the calipers.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:46 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter
A lower gear (higher numarically), will provide more toroque to the drive wheels than a higher gear (lower numerically).
I know at the tires it rates higher with lower gears. But AT THE MOTOR it does not which is when I hear the work "torque" what I think. Maybe I am just different?

But again, it still goes down to utilizing what you have(up front) in a different way(at the tires).

So we will just agree to disagree.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:17 PM

honestly, I'm rebuilding this car for one reason. It's sooooo cherry as far as the body goes. When our son gets older I'm going to take it to shows, and when he gets a whole lot older, my wife and I are going to take it across the country. That's the plan anyway. So basically, yeah fast is cool; but if I could go to florida from ohio and spend significatly less gas while getting the added safty of what I would assume would be better traction from both wheels turning instead of one.

Once I get my audiovox cruise control unit on and my engine rebuild, I'm not going to race it, I don't need acceleration, I just want to be able to set the cruise at 90 MPH for about 8 hours on the interstate. So wouldn't the 2.73 be the best?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:00 AM

G0d no, I will save you from a world of hurt. You do not want to go that low and try to put a 2.73 in a V6. You will basically be rendering your D and OD useless and be lagging off the start with a very tall 1st and 2nd. At the very most, drop only to a 3.23. Thats what I did and I barely use my OD unless I am moving pretty darn good. I stay in drive cuising 70 on the freeway. I only use OD over about 80mph or when I am lagging it with the wife on board crusing about 60 and up. But never below 60mph. If you do not ever plan on doing any real high speed driving 9and you'll need the modifications to do so, I would stick with 3.42's. The 3.73's will give you faster takeoff but even limit more you top end. (for the record, I have recorded a 138.9 mph in my Camaro and the suspension and brakes are built to do so. I have also clocked a 123mph on a closed circuit road race course in this 2.8 camaro. Absolutely no reason for you to even be thinking of anything lower than 3.23's, 2.73's is rediculous and worthless for your car and engine.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by BobItzaboy
G0d no, I will save you from a world of hurt. You do not want to go that low and try to put a 2.73 in a V6. You will basically be rendering your D and OD useless and be lagging off the start with a very tall 1st and 2nd. At the very most, drop only to a 3.23. Thats what I did and I barely use my OD unless I am moving pretty darn good. I stay in drive cuising 70 on the freeway. I only use OD over about 80mph or when I am lagging it with the wife on board crusing about 60 and up. But never below 60mph. If you do not ever plan on doing any real high speed driving 9and you'll need the modifications to do so, I would stick with 3.42's. The 3.73's will give you faster takeoff but even limit more you top end. (for the record, I have recorded a 138.9 mph in my Camaro and the suspension and brakes are built to do so. I have also clocked a 123mph on a closed circuit road race course in this 2.8 camaro. Absolutely no reason for you to even be thinking of anything lower than 3.23's, 2.73's is rediculous and worthless for your car and engine.
wow, thanks for the good write-up. I hope you didn't miss dinner LOL - so with the 3.23 posi, both of my rear wheels will engage at the same time? And I could have the gears instaled into my diff without any other mods? IF you have noticed yet, what kind of gas mileage gain did you get swapping from the 3.42 ration to the 3.23? - - Aside, I do get 28 highway mpg, but only on plus gas. - could I ever expect to get my car into the low 30's with the posi and helping her breath better?

Has anyone on here noticed whether thier car does better in the rain with the posi-trac? I had a close call a few days ago

EDIT: I did some research which only raised more questions; so does having a higher gear ration save gas by cruising at a lower rpm? Also, I found a diff, but I don't know if it engages both wheel or not. Here's a discription:

These Eaton Detroit Truetrac differentials use a patented design of parallel-axis planetary helix gears to provide a quiet, automatic splitting of torque. They perform like an open differential under normal driving conditions, automatically transferring torque to the wheel with better traction when ground conditions warrant.

Q. Is Open Differential the same thing as posi-trac? I would hate to buy this 300 dollar peice of equipment only to find i"m still a peg leg starter.

Q. Below is a link to the diff. - will it for sure fit?

Thanks for all the advice! You guys rule!

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Last edited by ohiotemplar; 11-15-2007 at 03:45 AM. Reason: 1 more ting
Old 11-15-2007, 04:13 AM

28 mpg? Only in my dreams. I have never even checked the milage on my Camaro. I would guess it to be around 15 mpg for many reasons. THis car sees mainly short around town driving. The car has very sticky wider tires than most V6 cars here. 3rd, I live in the great f7c4ed up state of So. Calif where we have the crappiest oxygenated fuel on the planet. Less btu's per gallon. It probably takes about 1.3 gallons of our gaslone to go the same distance as if I were running 1.0 gal of your fuel in your state. And lastly, when I do go distant places in this car my foot is generally burried into it, then slow back doewn passing people cautiously then foot burried into it again. Its why I stated above that I went to taller gears for top end driving when cruising. This car will cruise at over 100 all day long.

My suggestion to you is if you want safety and performance (perfomance beaning rear tire traction even laterally on corner entrance and exit) Buy an Auburn PRO (not a standard Auburn, a PRO- Standard are not as good) Read Scaryones link above- it will answer the question you just asked had you read advice given to you already before your last post.

I prsonally would recommend you just leaving things alone. Stay with the 3.42 and open diff and spen you money elsewhare on better tires and shocks. That will increase your safety and traction 10 of 10 where the money spent just on gears and diff will get you about 3 of 10 traction for dollar. Plus ,ost likely kill some of your gas milage when you drop your RPMS at the crusing speed you do and now lag your engine. 28 is great, going to 3.23's could even drop that down to about 20.

Gas milage was the last thing on my mind when I build a car for all around safety and peformance. Heck, my daily driver truck gets about 8 MPG. http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...2_151_full.jpg
Old 11-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 2004 LQ4
Transmission: T-5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I want some new rear end gears, mine hums..
Old 11-15-2007, 06:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 camaro RS
Engine: CharlesOdoryOB
Transmission: 82513892892
Axle/Gears: pbr disc 3.27 nine bolt

if your 92 v6 is bone stock then it already has 3.23 gears all v6 with automatic have 3.23 gears 90-92 v6 cars with manual have 3.42 gears

well my old v6 A4 camaro with 3.23 gears and timing bumped up to 14* gave me
an average of 27 mpg and did the 1/4 in 16.2 car had posi ws6 sway bars wonderbar and 16inch wheels
for the track i put 15s on front and removed the front sway bar seemed impressive for a 6 shooter at the time
but my girlfreinds 92 v6 firebird did it in 17.1 her car is fully optioned where as my camaro only option was auto
her firebird gets an average of 25 mpg but its got more weight to it

trust me you dont want 2.73s in a v6 you will end up with a very very slow car and being that the 6s dont make much low end power overdrive will keep down shifting to 3rd
sounds great for mileage till the car keeps down shifting because of the lack of torque at that rpm you would end up running the freeway in 3rd gear @ 2300 rpm only a bit over where you run now in overdrive and you would be ALOT SLOWER
3.23s in 4th = 65 mph @ 1900 rpm
2.73s in 4th = 65 mph @ 1600 rpm
3.42s in 4th = 65 mph @ 2000 rpm

if you want a faster car get 3.42s you wont lose much if any gas mileage but you will be only a little quicker
2.73s most likely will cost you more gas over all as you will be flooring it to keep up with traffic and pushing harder to get it moveing off the line over all for a 6 keep your 3.23s

if your looking for added proformance get a posi unit and swaybars from a ws6 or iroc-z they make the 6 shooter cars handle like gocarts turn on a dime and ultra fast lane changes are easy example like deer avoidance lol

and for better stopping you can convert the rear end to disc with the no cutting brackets they sell on the brake forum

or just look for a used 89-92 disc rear end they "Almost always will have posi" and you get better brakes aswell

another upgrade would be getting the 16inch wheels
and get wonderbar from an iroc

the wonderbar "steering brace" dose a lot for an older car that never had one

but for gas mileage stick with the same gears you have
do a tune up and it will bring out better mileage
on the 6's changing plugs and wires is easy

with the 60* 6 you will never have a rocket on wheels but what you can have is a car that handles like a dream and get good mileage
if you do the mods i listed here you will enjoy driveing in your car much more

Last edited by Azrael91966669; 11-15-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:26 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

I know at the tires it rates higher with lower gears. But AT THE MOTOR it does not which is when I hear the work "torque" what I think. Maybe I am just different?

But again, it still goes down to utilizing what you have(up front) in a different way(at the tires).

So we will just agree to disagree.

I don't know what you want to "agree to disagree" on here. What I posted is fact based on how gearing works. I never said anything about engine torque output changing, because it doesn't (well there might be a slight change based on load, and how the engine reacts to that, but that's getting pretty deep in to reactive changes and beyond the scope of this thread), the gears multiply the torque input to have greater torque output at the wheels since that's what matters when it comes down to it. how much torque and power you have available at that point where the tire touches the ground.
Different diameter tires also have an effect on this as well.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:05 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by Azrael91966669
if your 92 v6 is bone stock then it already has 3.23 gears all v6 with automatic have 3.23 gears 90-92 v6 cars with manual have 3.42 gears
100% correct.

Its just you have a open rear end. You just need a new carrier (LSD). I wouldnt change gears or anything.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:40 AM

with the 60* 6 you will never have a rocket on wheels but what you can have is a car that handles like a dream and get good mileage
If i were not stuck in California rules with this V6 car of mine you would have seen easily a 13 second 60*V6 car. As it stands now this car has done a 15.8 and has remained smog and visual inpection legal.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:42 PM

100% correct.

Its just you have a open rear end. You just need a new carrier (LSD). I wouldnt change gears or anything.
LSD? Sorry, I've only ever done minor stuff. I don't know what that is. The main thing I want is more traction, reliability, saftey. I'd be glad to stick with my current gears if those are best for that.

Ah yes, I do see up there where someone explained open rear end. Sorry, there is alot of info on here. Much appreciated though -

Suspension and stering wise - I'm already on all that. I've collected alot of parts and I'm getting more every day. I plan on doing it all myself this summer, I just need to have some bushings pushed in. The car looks pretty simple underneath, lots of room to work.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Supreme Member

Unless you plan on some serious power later on forget aftermarket diffs, you'd just be wasting your money. I noticed a big improvement in traction and handling when I bolted up my 4th gen axle/swaybar, but didn't really notice a change in mileage. Numerically lower gears have the potential to improve your mileage if you keep off the throttle, but most people don't have the patience for that. You'd be happier with the ratio you have now and a posi. Just grab one out of a junkyard and save the cash.

I get in the low 30's on the highway, but that's because I've stripped my car down to ~3000lb (with me in it) and switched to a '165 with all the fuel saving goodies turned on.

City mileage is still poo though, I can't keep off the gas!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:19 AM

ok I'm sold! Like I said, I'm collecting parts all winter for my summer car work fun and at this pint I would just love to get some more parts in the mail and on the way to my closet. lol - so I keep the 3.23 ratio and get a posi - cool - where can I find a 3.23 posi that's not 350.00? P.S. Have I mentioned you guys rule?

This summer I'm either going to get my 3.1 rebuilt or simply get a 3.4 with tranny. But I'm doing alot of research and It's going to be alot of fun.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Banned

you need what is called a 3 series limited slip or posi ment for 3.23 and up

and the trans you have now will bolt up
look on ohio craigslist or on the forums here i see 3.4s for 300-500
only problem is you also see 305 and 350 engines with trans for the same or only a bit more right now there is a l98 350 with trans ecm and harness from a 87 on there for 700 thats the only reason i would ever swap a v6 for an 8 is if i was going to be putting a new engine in anyway in the end you get more for for the same value but if there is nothing wrong with your engine then dont waste time swaping it out

BobItzaboy
so far every time ive ever heard of a 6 shooter hitting below 16 sec its from being blown or turboed or lots of nitrous
the 60 * dont do so well with nitrous

dont get me wrong but i had full exhaust with headers ported intake and my 3.1 was fast for a v6 but still very slow for a camaro at most i could take older crossfire/ lg4 and tbi cars and other 6s
cost vs output wasnt any good even with weight reduction and full exhaust
and posi all i could get was a 16.2 car felt very fast for a v6 but at the strip it wasnt

to have built that v6 i was gonna have $1500 into a 3.1 i already had 1000 into exhaust i gave up knowing that it wasnt worth it when i can pick up v8 car in better shape for the same price that runs just as fast as a built 3.1

in the end i went a got a v8 car for less
my point is every person that ever says they have an ultra fast v6 ends up a lier i rememeber a youtube video of someones 14 or 15 second 3.1 i remember laughing as my old 6 ran the same times as the ultra fast 6 ran in the videos
unless its a 3.8 turbo but thats a completely differant engine

like i said earlier v6s are nice as they handle like a sports car should when you put on the larger swaybars and tires but ive yet to see a fast one in person
everyone i know said my old one was the fastest 6 they had seen and on the street it was quick but never was it fast
weight balance in the 6s are almost perfect but they lack power
v8s add power but the added weight you lose handleing but you would never notice this with the stock v6 swaybars there so small they make these cars feel heavy with body roll
id never use a 6 to drag race but there my top choice for auto cross you have to be smart with your mods and know what your car is good for

Last edited by Azrael91966669; 11-16-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Supreme Member

Azrael91966669- Go talk to daves12secv6 or firstfirebird, they'll show you what a 6 can do . No offense, but it's no wonder your 3.1 was a slug. Trying to get power out of the iorn heads is like beating your head against a wall.

ohiotemplar- You can pick up a 4th gen axle for ~$150. It's posi, usually 3.23's and most have discs. I say you should go for a 3.4 w/ 3x00 top end. The 3.4 block is already set up for dis ignition so that saves you a little time.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by bl85c
Azrael91966669- Go talk to daves12secv6 or firstfirebird, they'll show you what a 6 can do . No offense, but it's no wonder your 3.1 was a slug. Trying to get power out of the iorn heads is like beating your head against a wall.

ohiotemplar- You can pick up a 4th gen axle for ~$150. It's posi, usually 3.23's and most have discs. I say you should go for a 3.4 w/ 3x00 top end. The 3.4 block is already set up for dis ignition so that saves you a little time.
that sounds great, but how do I know what I'm buying on ebay r in the junkyard is actually what I ask for? I'm not experienced enought to know if I actually got the engine I asked for or if the rear axel actually is posi or not. Would love some rear discs though. And to keep this thread from going that way again, I'm not concerned with HP that much. I just want depenability, safty, mileage, fun to drive, and to look cool. So far it only looks cool. lol yum!
Old 11-16-2007, 06:44 PM

Car: 86 F-Bird
Engine: 2.8L v6

how hard would it be to install a posi.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:10 PM

Car: 89 V6 Camaro
Engine: 2.8
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open diff

Originally Posted by nixon5
how hard would it be to install a posi.
Its pretty straight forward to put it in but you want anything in the rear to be measured right or you could fry your rear end. Its best to take it to a shop to get it done right. You have to have the right spacing on them.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:16 PM

Azrael91966669 , You have no clue who I am do you? Try asking around and find out before the next time you start lecturing. I let you find out for yourself.
I would chew up and spit out your l03 car stock. WIth you almighty TPI unityou will pulla tad on a stright, but i blow right past you in the braking sone and eat you for luch around the corner and you will never catch ands pass me down the next straight. Every corner gets worse and you drop back rapidly. Did I mention, this is my wifes car chewing you up? Take you almighty V8 lecture somewhere else. Your clueless who your talking to.

Last edited by BobItzaboy; 11-16-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by BobItzaboy
Azrael91966669 , You have no clue who I am do you? Try asking around and find out before the next time you start lecturing. I let you find out for yourself.
I would chew up and spit out your l03 car stock. WIth you almighty TPI unityou will pulla tad on a stright, but i blow right past you in the braking sone and eat you for luch around the corner and you will never catch ands pass me down the next straight. Every corner gets worse and you drop back rapidly. Did I mention, this is my wifes car chewing you up? Take you almighty V8 lecture somewhere else. Your clueless who your talking to.
It is a pretty mean six that you have. Do you have a homepage for your car or thread, I forgot if you did or not, I'd like to know what you did.

V8s are awesome but V6s are also capable of the same amount of power.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:19 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Axle/Gears: 3.23

LSD? Sorry, I've only ever done minor stuff. I don't know what that is. The main thing I want is more traction, reliability, saftey. I'd be glad to stick with my current gears if those are best for that.

Ah yes, I do see up there where someone explained open rear end. Sorry, there is alot of info on here. Much appreciated though -

Suspension and stering wise - I'm already on all that. I've collected alot of parts and I'm getting more every day. I plan on doing it all myself this summer, I just need to have some bushings pushed in. The car looks pretty simple underneath, lots of room to work.
Now i know this is a long shot (considering im about to say a no-no) But from my experience japanese cars are basicly posi, for example the honda civic and all the guys that own one (02+ models) end up spending some serious money for a LSD (ranging from $1500-$2500) and your car already comes with this so what im getting at is in the sport of drifting when you attack a corner LSD helps you in regaining and maintaining controll so as far as im concerned i will never go posi. Its just a matter of preferance, but simply put, open is safer, reliable, and traction. (when you loose traction LSD limits the power of the tire that is spining freely and gives power to the one that is not, so all you really have to do is steer the nose in the direction you want to go and vuala! you gain traction!)
Old 11-16-2007, 09:20 PM

Car: 86 F-Bird
Engine: 2.8L v6

whats a good place to buy the posi cuz im thinking ill buy it an have pepboys install it.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Banned

hey billy bob what ever trust me ill out stop you
and take you in any corner not only will i make you see tail lights in the strait ill make sure you see my brake lights before the corner if you can stop in time
i really dont care if its your wifes teal car
if you think i left a 15 year old suspension alone you must be kidding trust me i made my old 6 handle better but dont think this car is a push over in a corner

i believe ive mentioned how slow the tbis are hundreds of times in the tbi forums and if you look back also note i stated my old rs was faster then my bone stock tbi not by much but thats also why i got rid of toilet bowl injection in favor of something that can put out some power

oh but hey feel free to come to ohio and prove to me wrong i live near a few differant road race and autocross tracks as well as drag strips if your feeling up to it ill make sure i bring a camera to prove everyone how bad you lost

i built a 6 and traded it for bigger and better things not to mention a rust free body something thats rare here in ohio for a 3rdgen
but i still have a "almost" stock 6 for winter
Old 11-16-2007, 10:29 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Axle/Gears: 3.23

wow!!! i take it that was directed at me, well well, i have taken a stage 2 rouge mustang which runs 13s and at the time my honda ran 16s, its not about the fastest out the straight its about how far behind you are at the finish line. I didnt join this thread to be bashed on by an amateur driver, its a shame i sold my honda but like i stated i was just posting my opinion isnt that what this is about? oh and i do down hill, and yes i did get into the fad in 2002 in japan with the debut of the 2002 honda civic type R before you saw the movie in 06, but im not challenging you, he was looking for advice for safety,reliability, and traction and i posted my thoughts on it, by the way whose billy bob? I dont speak ignorance or do i normally reply to your kind, but take it as you will im done repling to you so feel flattered i normally dont go out of my way. By the way this conversation is terminated.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:43 AM
Supreme Member

I can tell this thread's going to be locked...

that sounds great, but how do I know what I'm buying on ebay r in the junkyard is actually what I ask for? I'm not experienced enought to know if I actually got the engine I asked for or if the rear axel actually is posi or not. Would love some rear discs though. And to keep this thread from going that way again, I'm not concerned with HP that much. I just want depenability, safty, mileage, fun to drive, and to look cool. So far it only looks cool. lol yum!
Anyway, when you go to the junkyard (or ebay, but you'll get raped on shipping) find just about any 4th gen f-body with rear discs and pop open the diff. If there's springs in the center of the diff you've got a posi. Count the number of teeth on the ring gear, 3.23's should have 42 teeth. You need to grab the e-brake cables and the brake lines (not hard since they're bolted to the axle) along with it to make it work correctly, and you'll need to bleed the brakes and reset the parking brake after it's on. If you're not comfortable bolting it up yourself take it to a shop, but it's a pretty straightforeward swap. Oh, and you'll also need the proportioning valve off a 4-wheel disc f-body to make things work right. If I can find a pic of some of this stuff I'll post it up to make things a little easier.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:32 AM
Supreme Member

I lose the internet for four days, and now I have all this stuff to respond to:

Firstly, Dean's V6 is designed for suspension and braking. The engine is basically virgin to my knowledge, but he's got probably the hardest hitting brake setup on the board and he has every piece of his suspension either aftermarket or fabricated custom for him. As a crew chief he's got a *lot* of suspension connections open to him, and that little six shooter is a testament to that fact.

But as fast as Dean's V6 is, 2.8RS is wrong. A NA V6 is not capable of the same power levels as a NA V8. Bigger engine==more torque. It's the way it works. Pull all of the magic you want, and if you apply the same techniques to the V8, you'll make more power. But it'll weigh more, which for Dean's application is not good. IIRC, with the V6 he's got the car *very* close to a 50/50 WR, while the V8 cars are like 65/35. Much worse for handling.

Hachiroku, those honda guys drop big bucks on different LSD's (limited slip differentials, notably clutch type) than stock. As I noted in my writeup on the subject, clutch type LSD's come in three flavors. 1-way, 1.5-way, and 2-way. I know of NO street car that comes with a 2-way stock, maybe a few performance models that come with a 1.5-way, and almost everything else comes with a 1-way. In essence, a 1-way makes it so the posi only locks the rear wheels together on acceleration. A 2-way locks on acceleration and deceleration, and a 1.5-way locks on acceleration and partially on deceleration. A 2-way is best for a race car, as it keeps the same feel throughout an entire turn, braking into it, and speeding out, the behavior of the car is the same. With a 1-way, it's harder to steer during acceleration, but easy during deceleration, which is great on the street, because when something jumps out in front of you, you brake and swerve. A 1.5-way is a good compromise between the two for a street/track car.

Also, hachi, LSD==posi. Positraction is just GM's licensed name for a limited slip differential. Not to be mean, but *please* read up on the subject before you give someone advice. It will save frustration in the future. Open is not safer. When you lose traction on a wheel in an open differential the car will direct all torque to that wheel, making you lose traction, control, causing possible accidents. Read the thread I linked earlier for info on differentials.

Azrael, stick your d!ck back in your pants, we don't need a pissing contest. Dean backed up his claim with numbers, and then you made a shot at him. You've started this.

Hachi, Azrael wasn't talking to you. He was talking to Dean, aka BobItzaBoy, so just calm down.

Templar: My advice is to keep your car the way it is for right now. Since it's not getting driven hard (and if it does encounter rain/ice/snow, either pull over and wait, or drive it like it's got four flat tires) upgrading immediately isn't necessary. If you have rear drums, keep an eye out for a 90-92 being parted with discs. Almost all were posi, a lot had 3.23 or 3.4(3?) gears, and they'll have 28-spline axles, and much better brakes. From that setup, if you ever come across a 99-02 V8 Camaro or Firebird in the junkyard, the posi out of those is a direct swap because they also had 28 spline axles, and it's about as good as you're going to get from the factory. They can be had on ebay for pretty cheap as well used.

I think I covered everything here.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by TheScaryOne
IBut as fast as Dean's V6 is, 2.8RS is wrong. A NA V6 is not capable of the same power levels as a NA V8. Bigger engine==more torque. It's the way it works. Pull all of the magic you want, and if you apply the same techniques to the V8, you'll make more power. But it'll weigh more, which for Dean's application is not good. IIRC, with the V6 he's got the car *very* close to a 50/50 WR, while the V8 cars are like 65/35. Much worse for handling.
I never said NA. Yes, V8s are capable of more power but that doesn't mean that a V6 can't make alot of power either, but never as much as a V8 is capable of making.

To the OP, just get a posi unit and 3.42 gears are going to be fine for your needs.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Banned

i came her 1st help him im just tired of everyone of you getting new v6members hopes up that really that you can really make these cars fast
remember read through the topic i had a shot took at me
i started nothing other then stateing the oblivious

oh wow 3 members on here have fast v6 cars and after dumping how much into them?
yes anything can be made fast but there is a saying

speed cost money, how fast do you want to go

if you want to go fast get a v8 it will be far cheaper in the long run
if you want to have a great handleing car and great mileage and low insurance rates get v6

ive helping ohiotemplar via pms as this thread has gone to $h:t

ive said it before ive had a 6 and know what they can do and what they cant

most everyone in the real world wont waste time with them as they cost much more just to put them at tpi power levels

i know when all you have is a 6 you want to think that it can be made fast but unless you intend to gut out your driver and toss thousands of dollars into it its not ever going to be a fast car

to heavy a car with such a underpowered engine even the v8s where underpowered so where dose that leave the small 6 even worse off

as i also stated before know what your car is good for

the v6 was slow and had crappy handleing from the factory
the v8tbi was still slow and had worse handleing unless you got the F-41 package
the v8tpi was much quicker and had very nice handleing for a front heavy car

now if you put all that made the tpi cars handle will on a v6 you end up with a go cart on wheels feels the same as my 90 rx7
but mind you putting full exhaust on a tpi or tbi v8 you really can knock some time of an et
do the same with a v6 and its no where near the differance
almost like GM had for the most part got the highest preformance out of the 6 from the factory where as the v8s still had lots hideing

any car can be made fast but speed cost money
Old 11-17-2007, 12:33 PM

Car: 1992 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.1
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn Posi

Azrael. You are a tool. Buh-bye.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:27 PM

hey billy bob what ever trust me ill out stop you
and take you in any corner not only will i make you see tail lights in the strait ill make sure you see my brake lights before the corner if you can stop in time
i really dont care if its your wifes teal car
if you think i left a 15 year old suspension alone you must be kidding trust me i made my old 6 handle better but dont think this car is a push over in a corner
oh but hey feel free to come to ohio and prove to me wrong i live near a few differant road race and autocross tracks as well as drag strips if your feeling up to it ill make sure i bring a camera to prove everyone how bad you lost
OK gave ou a chance. As Scary has stated, I AM a crewchief on a Whelen series NASCAR team.Now for the fun part- Out brake me? Out corner me? You still obviously to me and about 90% of the readers here that know me have no idea what car I have. Lets start witht he brakes. Lets see, This wifes car of mine (and it is a car I built specificaly for her to use as a daily driver. Its alot cooler version of a soccermom minivan- this is my quote unquote family car. Its the slowest car I own. It was not built to be suoerfast, it was built intetionally to keep a lightweight V6 for running around town shopping and grocery getting- But it will kick your asz al up and down on a road course without batting an eye.) Oh yeah, we were talking about you out braking me- feat your eyes: Fronts- 6 piston aluminum calpiers, 13x1.25 2pc rotors, and ALUMINUM hubs. Extremely large, yet extremely light unspung weight. http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...52_74_full.jpg.

Rears- 4piston fix caliper 12.2-.81 2pc rotors. moser lightweight dilled flage axles, carbon fiber driveshaft, auburn pro diff, richmond lightweight 3.23 gears, I gcould go on and on.....

This is actually a very old picture exhaust is far different now, just showing the binders- http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...52_15_full.jpg

So out brake me? Not in your lifetime, well start and stop there, I do not feel like typing the novel on the suspension and the uniqueness of not just what I have welded under there, but most importantly how it is all setup and married.
I will just finish saying this car has run a 15.8 1/4 N/A, it does an incredible documented skidpad run of 1.07 g's on street tires (not racing tires), and has also documented an INCREDIBLE 60 -0 stop in 102ft. And your heavy assed V8 car is going to come close or ever do better than this? I gave you fair warning to check me out first before you decided to challange me- you just stepped on yourself.

Now lets step back and do a positive here. Take this as a learning experience before you continue to go about spewing your al mighty opinion to people on the internet. THere are thouse of us out here with far more experience and credentials and you took me for some young guy with a brokeass V6. Your ignorance lead you into believeing V6 cars are inferior- I just showed you what you never in your life ever expected to come across. The internet is full of alot of people like myself- its not all kids spending every broke cent trying to make a slow car fast. I built a V6 purposely, I have money for a V8- didn't want it why? I know something you don't, its why my car is so deadly. Its called weight bias- I do not need radical power on the street, I don;t need to slow down as much as you do SOOOOO iI concequently don;t need to speed back up as much as you do either. make sense? Probably not. You still are in denial I handle that well. Sooo..... Here's a little video clip I just posted on another thead showing how radical this car brake and then it is VERY respectavle speeding back up- Sorry, its way too hard to hold the camera under high g cornering, so no incar footage of that, but you can see the video stop but hear the egine still maintain rpms going into that hard left coming up in veiw. I had to click the camera off and get to work steering the damn car. TRHis video show the car braking DOWNHILL, yes I said DOWNHILL from 80 mph. I had just a slight lockup, modulated and and worked through it and stopped plenty easily for the light.Listen for the whirl of the binders and see how quickly speed drops when that whirl noise comes on. THis car will blow your frikin mind it slows so radically. I personally think it speeds back up surprisingly respectable especially for a 2.8 automatic (No the tranny is no where near stock either- thats a long list and story also. Listen to it shift.

much you want to wager? $500, $1000, Pickslips? You'd be very foolish my friend.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/681124941...ilwaffarn_010/
Old 11-17-2007, 03:33 PM

And the final thing I want to add- This Camaro of mine, yes being a fairly stock motor 2.8 V6 but EVERYTHING else is hardcaor built heavy duty. It will run likeyou see in the video day in and day out all day long abusing it and it keeps going and going and going. THis car is far more reliable. Your V8 is faster by less than a second, but how long is that car going to last before its in the shop next for repairs from you ripping on it. I also have about a $1500 cooling system in the car- Becool radiator,and all the goodies, the list goes on my friend, the list goes on. It was built to be bulletproof and reliable.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 2.8RS
It is a pretty mean six that you have. Do you have a homepage for your car or thread, I forgot if you did or not, I'd like to know what you did.

V8s are awesome but V6s are also capable of the same amount of power.

Thank you, Sorry I missed this at first.

Here's the link to a cardomain page I use to stored pictures for reference.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/518752/1
Old 11-17-2007, 03:50 PM

I finally got around to reading that diff link. I think I'm going to find an 89-92 z28 diff on ebay probably b/c the junkyards around here suck. Thanks alot for all your help. Sorry I caused a rucus. I never meant this to be about speed, just handeling and safty... In a word, efficiency. This whole thread stems from the fact that I wiped out i the rain and I was barley on the throttle. Luckilyu there was no damage, and to on lookers it must have looked really cool to see me spin around and recover and just take off. Very hollywood. I'd be happy with just a little more speed. I'll probably get an intake and headers, maybe some nice heads and roller rockers just for bragging rights so I can put it on my poster at shows. I'd be happy with 180 hp. I don't htink I'm going to be in any races. I love my car too much. I'll save the lining up for when I find a daily river I don't mind crashing lol. This is alot of good info. I have compiled a list of useful links and I hope to make a sticky thread out of them today. Watch out for it and feel free to add to it!