V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Oh.. my... g-d... my Firebird may be junk.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 10:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Oh.. my... g-d... my Firebird may be junk.

Well, all of you have known that I've been fighting rust- I think it's won. I had a bit of the floor pan on the passenger side hanging down lately, scraping over speedbumps, etc- at which point I'd have to pull over and push the torn metal back "up" so I could keep driving- well today I pulled back the carpet.

The rear subframe on the passenger side is welded to air. Yes, the floor is gone. The top of the subframe, which is supposed to be welded to the bottom of the floor, is visible. Worse- the rocker panel is buckled!!! That rocker panel was the only thing keeping the axle on the car. This is the first time in 11 years and 291,000 miles that I don't trust the structural integrity of the car anymore.

My plan was to weld that rear half-of-passenger-side-car on this weekend- lets just say that if I started the job, I wouldn't have been able to weld that quarter panel to anything. It's all crumbling rust (I can break large pieces off with my hand and sell them as souveniers!) and missing metal and soaking-wet carpet padding.

Too bad my last drive in it wasn't to anywhere exciting.

I'll try to get some pics up... but I'm not sure how much longer I'll be an "active" member of thirdgen.org.

Yep- I'm definately bummed.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird, 92 RS
Engine: 2.8L MPFI, 355 TPI
Transmission: t-5, t-5
Axle/Gears: open 3.42, posi 3.42
WTF . . . pics?

this is possibly some of the worst news ever!
Old 12-30-2005, 02:09 AM

Car: 87 camaro, '02 cbr600f4i, 70 mustang
Engine: 2.8/600c.c/ 351C
Transmission: Manual/Manual/Slap stick
WOW... sorry to hear it man.... buddy just sold his 91 T-top bird for 500$ and a ford, wish i would have known, i would have had him donate the car to you cause the body was great...
Old 12-30-2005, 02:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
should of paid more attention to my back halfed threads 2 years ago... member

both 2nd and 3rd gens have this habbit of rusting away in places you cannot see unless you remove the back seat and carpet.
And most times people don't notice till to late.

[[Tom P] My car was back halfed at some point...]
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=189093

part2
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=192017

part3
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=248116
Old 12-30-2005, 03:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man that deffinetly sucks!

Is there any way you can score some more sheet metal from a donor and weld it in place. Since you were going to be doing the rear quater it shouldn't be that much extra work. All though key word is shouldn't.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:09 AM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 191ci 6cyl
Transmission: 700r4
That's gotta be fixable for you TomP, didn't you cut a good chunk off the rear of the car, fix it up, and put it back on?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Banned

Car: camaro
Engine: v8 garbage
Transmission: crap box auto
its only metal,its ALWAYS fixable.

just cut off all the rust and replace it with some good metal.

worry about looks after your car is structurly sound again.

and thats also why i dont like carpet in cars,it hides rust until its too late.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:41 PM

body

since i dont have to do any of the work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i say fix it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in 20 years when third gens are ridiculously expensive you will be kicking yourself,,,,,,,,,,buy a beater and take your time with it,,as long as you got the storage space,,,,,,,,,,,i parted out a nova and 2 chevelle ss' in the 90's and i still feel guilty when i see one,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 12-30-2005, 05:15 PM

Car: 3
Engine: inboard
Transmission: underfloor
Well Tom, it sounds like it is time to throw in the towel. She's been good to you. Yeah, it's fixable as is most anything if you have the time and money, but you seem to be a busy guy. And unless you can sacrifice a garage bay for a LONG time it's not going to get done. There are thousands of junk cars littering people's yards because they are gonna fix 'em "one day".

Remember 86 SC's car? The one that when tied down on an auto transporter ripped the LCA out of the floor? It sounds like a good shot of acceleration or a pothole would do the same to your car, jamb the rear tire into the wheelwell and cause you to get sideways in a hurry. When a unibody is gone that far they are just plain unsafe anymore.

I saw an early Mustang in a field on some land we hunt that was so far gone the leaf spring pearches had punched through the floor, and it had grass growing through the floors. The trans tunnel was all that was left of the floor.

But to be practical about it, you can find bunch of rust free thirdgens if you look hard enough, especially outside the rust belt states.

Yeah, there's the argument that like first gens they will be worth a lot of money one day- but think about it- thirdgen cars had a 10 year production run and firstgens had all of three- it's going to be a LONG time before they come up in value. Unless it's a TTA, or some rare 1LE package car, it's not worth much.

And if you really want another thridgen, I know where there's a sweet two owner garage pampered '92 Z28 for sale.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:01 AM

Car: only GM,88 camaro, 91r/s camaro, 91
Engine: Clean oil, looks fresh, no leaks
Transmission: Bright Red, never burnt, no leaks
Axle/Gears: currently whining
wha???

Comon dude dont listen to that unmorlistic ,,,i mean think about it its what makes you you ,,,hell bro take it to the grave with ya..lol.. the camaro is american as apple pie. its the reason some play the lottery,,or go to vagas!! its a lil piece of dream to hold on to,,,,and should if for some reason sold it should be to have protected the family money wise....

heck ya im a firm supporter of "dont crushum restorum" ..but i do recognise the fact that international growth is compleatly outa controll and there seems to be as many cars as people.nowa days!

people like the last dude have not really matured to the common wealth side of life..,,,,,,just non realalistic!! kinda person who dish it out... but not take it.,!!

unless compleatly nessesary do not abandon her,, give it a lil time and see if the right oppertunity comes along ,,inheritance,,lotto,..or any onther comsmic future holds...

sure there is kids staving in forign couontrys ,, but camaros are on the brink of extinction!
Old 12-31-2005, 07:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Chevy Camaro Hardtop
Engine: Turbocharged/Intercooled 3.1
Transmission: World Class T5 5 Speed
Dude, find you a rust-free $200 rolling chassis, and swap all your parts over!!
Old 12-31-2005, 05:21 PM

Car: 1985 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.8 LB8 HO
Transmission: 700R4 with OD
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 7.625 open-factory 3.42
Both the front and rear floor pans and the complete trunk well, and rear center sections are available new and used from a variety of sources (Classic Industires new GM stuff, wrecking yards, Camaro Heaven, House of Camaro etc. . You could also do the rolling chassis thing too. I think you would end up with a new vin since the plate is on the unibody. Which ever, think it over before you make a final call. Hang in there dude.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:49 PM

Re: wha???

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gottfuel
[B]Comon dude dont listen to that unmorlistic

-I wasn't aware that I was "unmorlistic" - Or did you mean "immoral"?

,,or go to vagas!! ...

Where's "vagas"? Or do you mean "Los Vegas?"

people like the last dude have not really matured to the common wealth side of life..,,,,,,just non realalistic!! kinda person who dish it out... but not take it.,!!

Wow. Until now I thought I had it together. But now I have learned I am-

A) "unmorlistic"
B) "not matured"
C) "non realalistic"
D) That I'm the "kinda person who can dish it out but not take it"

I just don't know how I have gotten through life all these years.

Old 12-31-2005, 08:01 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
Originally posted by Doward
Dude, find you a rust-free $200 rolling chassis, and swap all your parts over!!

QFT if you really want a thirdgen. But living in nj with high gas prices and the highest insurance rates in the nation, I understand if you go to something else.

Just cause you own something else doesnt mean you cant come here and help us out.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:27 PM

Car: only GM,88 camaro, 91r/s camaro, 91
Engine: Clean oil, looks fresh, no leaks
Transmission: Bright Red, never burnt, no leaks
Axle/Gears: currently whining
so you correct my spelling of vagas to los vagas...yet even you spelled it wrong its las vagas!,,,,i gives props to every one who encourages .the servival of these third gens,,,in a nut shell,for The verbly handicapt ,,["Lamemans terms"] positivly absoulutly with out a dout, a fact that one day peopl will have wished they never sold there camaro..maby not value wise but personaly..

to try and be more clear,.,.the cars will be even more so legendary then ever before,.v6 or v8.. sure there are lots of other cars out there but were one uniuqe group, band, family, of peoplewho share a real passion, for somthi9ng that makes us who we are..... And though life my change and other cars come and go ,,there should not be any reason you cant keep it real..
Old 01-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '99 Trans Am, '86 Camaro
Engine: LS1, Scrap
Transmission: T56, T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Stock ZT, 3.42 Open
Originally posted by gottfuel
so you correct my spelling of vagas to los vagas...yet even you spelled it wrong its las vagas!
Las Vegas
Old 01-01-2006, 07:07 PM

Well it seems we are both wrong. It is "Las Vegas" not "Los Vegas" or "Los Vagas"

Tom P has a problem. I gave him my view of that problem.

My view is based on experience.

In 1983 at 16, I trowled 3 gallons of bondo over coat hanger brazed in metal to "fix" the rust on my first car, a 1969 Buick Skylark 2dr hardtop.

Later on, I moved to Ft Lauderdale FL where I owned a succession of VW beetles. The salt air, monsoon rains and humidity were not kind. I patched and replaced many floorpans and heater channels. I also parted cars out that were too far gone for my availible tools, facility to work on them and time.
I had one engine in four different cars.

I spent time cutting out rust and welding in panels in an '88 Mustang LX 4cyl that had been my wife's first car that lived in Virginia road salt in an effort to teach a 16 year old about body work and to save the car. I had more in materials on that thing than I could buy a rust free car for locally.

I have three thirdgens, one an '88 Iroc that has a blown motor and accident damage on the passenger side. I bought it for parts, but me, the guy that "can't keep it real" will not part it out.

I am also storing a rough '87 GTA T/A for someone who has moved and has no where to keep it.

As you can see, I don't just tell people to junk it for no reason. But I will give my opinion based on many years of dealing with rusty cars.

You don't agree with me? That's fine man. But telling me I can't "keep it real" is a bit off!

Bye!
Old 01-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Supreme Member

So where's Tom?
Old 01-02-2006, 03:14 PM

Car: 89 f-bird and some others
Engine: 3.4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
That's too bad Tom. If you part it out or whatever and don't get another 3rd gen, you at least need to hang out here still. WE need you

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do. If I was in the US right now and lived somewhat closer to where you're at I'd probably buy alot of stuff off you if you do the 'part-out'. (It was you I think that had a pretty well built tranny that I read about on here.)

This really gets me thinking about giving my car a good going over when I get home. I have some surface rust on the bottom that I sprayed rust-mort on, but plan to sand blast and re-coat. Also a seal leak that was making a puddle on my front-passenger side floor.

Maybe I should take out all the carpeting and check out the whole thing.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:37 PM

Car: 89 Firebird, 92 RS
Engine: 2.8L MPFI, 355 TPI
Transmission: t-5, t-5
Axle/Gears: open 3.42, posi 3.42
Maybe I should take out all the carpeting and check out the whole thing.
thats what im thinking too . . . my t-tops leak onto the back seats, but i havent had enough dry time to actually try to fix it, i just go and sop al lthe water out of the puddle it makes every day . . .
Old 01-02-2006, 08:04 PM

Car: 85 camaro sport coupe
Engine: 2.8 MFI
Transmission: v6 700R4 wish it was a 5spd Stick
Axle/Gears: Stock non posi 3.42s
well reading that scared the crap outa me so i went out and checked not a spot of rust any where under the carpet at all! and i also checked the rest of the car and there is only two small rust spots one on the pass side wheel well lip and the other on the pass side doorjamb where it curved up at the front. whew thats good. sorry to hear about you guys that are so unlucky. it might take alot of work but id go find a shell that has no or very little rust and swap all your stuff over.

Last edited by xplane; 01-02-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:01 AM
Supreme Member

Could monster garage this one.

see how short the drive train can be made.
cut alone the top of the windshield and bottom of the fire wall.
The back seat is now your front seat. Cut the hatch n roof off and have a two seater roadster with no doors.

Make it into motorcycle / trike
Old 01-13-2006, 01:45 PM

update?

hey TomP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what ever did you decide,,,,,,,,,,did you ever get pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,was wondering?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:17 AM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 307
See how often I visit the V6 fourm now days.

I hope you got it fixed Tom!
Old 01-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 13 Ram 1500/ 78 Formy
Engine: 5.7 / 7.4
Transmission: 6sp / TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.55 posi / 3.23
IF:

- My wife ever went to this site/forum

and

- I did the special power of attorney on both my cars, not just the GP

THEN:

You might have an 85 to play with (yeah, she really want that car gone )

but then when I get it all done & it still doesn't work............. she gets what she wants
Old 01-16-2006, 11:00 AM

!

hello? tomP?,,,,,,,,u still depressed or are you busy welding your car,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,let us know whats up,,,still wanna see pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hope you are welding
Old 01-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 95 E-150 & 07 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Engine: A slow one & a fast one
Transmission: A bad one & a good one
Axle/Gears: A weak one & a chained one
TOM, rolling chassis baby rolling chassis.... Dont give up on me babyyyyy, ooooh yeaaahhh
Old 01-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Supreme Member

I think Tom just needs time to heal. Like when he almost got married. But this time its over a car, so he may need a few weeks.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:53 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Gumby
I think Tom just needs time to heal. Like when he almost got married. But this time its over a car, so he may need a few weeks.
Yea at least 2 more weeks then it took with the marrige issue. I think whne the camaro got wrecked I was sad for a bit longer then when wife divorced my, took the house and my one truck. and Im very serious too.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:10 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2012 Nissan Leaf
Engine: 80-kW AC synchronous electric motor
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: n/a
condolences.

that sucks. i would get a rust free roller.

also just sou you know tom, you have helped everyone on this board at some point. if you drop off the boards you will be missed.

good luck man

-Tony (well maintained 1986 2.8L)
Old 01-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Hey Tom,
I hope you're still around to get this, but if it isn't practical to fix your car I could probably find you another one down here (GA isn't known for excessive rust) pretty cheap. I run across more thirdgens than I could ever buy. Whatever you decide, please remain a member and come back anytime... you have been one of the most valuable members here, and we would hate to lose you.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0L TBI (ebl inside)
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 lsd 10 bolt
Originally posted by Gumby
Could monster garage this one.

see how short the drive train can be made.
cut alone the top of the windshield and bottom of the fire wall.
The back seat is now your front seat. Cut the hatch n roof off and have a two seater roadster with no doors.

Make it into motorcycle / trike
I've always thought of doing something like that for fun.

Tom, too bad you don't live closer to Missouri. I'm getting a complete car this week with minimal rust to part into a roller. I'd give you one hell of a deal if transporting it won't cost a bunch.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:07 AM

bump,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,waiting for update............................................................................................................................
Old 02-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Supreme Member

TTT. you ever figure it out tom?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

Engine: LH0 3.1L
Holy $hit, sucks to hear Tom!

I can't believe all the same guys are still here!!!
Old 02-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 CAMARO 1968 FIREBIRD
Engine: CAMARO 3.1L FIREBIRD 455
Transmission: CAMARO 700R4 FIREBIRD TH-400
I just found rust on my pinch weld on the windshield and under the paint on the roof but it is surface rust. Any way i can fix it as a temp job to last about a year until i can get it painted>
Old 02-19-2006, 03:20 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Dang still nothing from Tom. I also see he has his email is still hidden from public view. Anyone know whats going on here or do we need to get an admin to get ahold of Tom and make sure he's ok?
Old 02-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Supreme Member

LOL, Gumby!

Thanx for the concern SSC, I'm still around- just busy with work and trying not to think about my ride. But I came across a pic of my car buried under snow, so I hopped in here to say hi! I'm surprised this message is still up top...

Well here's a pic since I've been teasing you guys so long for one... note the buckled rocker panel, and how the water's dripping from the carpet...
Attached Thumbnails Oh.. my... g-d... my Firebird may be junk.-dsc00709-small.jpg  
Old 02-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Supreme Member

Damn size limits... OK, here's another attempt at pic #2, see both rear rails welded to "nothing"? Easy view is right at the middle of the rear passenger's seat bottom- that's the framerail. Hard view is the outer rear framerail- look for the rust hole at the left side of the picture, about an inch up from the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails Oh.. my... g-d... my Firebird may be junk.-dsc00718-small.jpg  
Old 02-20-2006, 11:00 PM
Supreme Member

Picture #3, you'd think that under that plastic, the outside of the car would be attached to the floor! Well, not on my car anymore...

Oh, that spring is holding the carpet up so I can get pics
Attached Thumbnails Oh.. my... g-d... my Firebird may be junk.-dsc00723-small.jpg  
Old 02-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Supreme Member

Final pic, my bracing so I could feel safe to drive the car- but I haven't driven it since.

Standing on the rocker panel- flexed the car.

Pushing on the middle of the trans tunnel- made the rear seat move.

Brace is 3/4 square tube at the "rear", and 1 inch square tube at the "front". Yes, the Home Depot didn't have two of each size, so I had to mix sizes.

This picture was taken from me standing at the door jamb... the front of the car is to the "right" of the picture. The trans tunnel is right where the rusty carpet is.
Attached Thumbnails Oh.. my... g-d... my Firebird may be junk.-dsc00716-small.jpg  
Old 02-21-2006, 01:10 AM

Car: 1985 reliant saloon
Engine: 2.2 pile of metal
Transmission: 3 on the tree
Axle/Gears: so tall theres no point
man that sucks, my old fiat spider didnt have that much rust. good luck with it, it alot of work but do it onec and never do it again..... have fun.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:02 AM

Car: 85 camaro sport coupe
Engine: 2.8 MFI
Transmission: v6 700R4 wish it was a 5spd Stick
Axle/Gears: Stock non posi 3.42s
see now a car with that much rust i would go ahead and turn into a full on race car. i have a problem with takeing a car with little to no rust and hacking up the thing to tub it out or such crap but if your gonna fix that you might as well make some more room for bigger tires. just gets a good rust free body and move your stuff over thats what id do. what ever you do good luck at it
Old 02-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by TomP
LOL, Gumby!

Yea I don't forget nutin, though my time and date stamps just flash 12:00
Old 02-21-2006, 11:51 AM

geez,,,,that thing looks like you parked it in the ocean every night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 02-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Supreme Member

The holes in the floor aren't much of a big deal.
But the rest of the rust is just like the problem I had.
All very fixable with welder. The best tool for removal I found was boring out a wire wheel to fit on a 4 1/2 angle grinder. use up two wheels. I then use lots of rust killin muric acid. Sprayed it on the hot welds when done. avoide smoke. Welded every body line and seam. dig the black goop out of the rocker seam and weld it too.

but you should of known man, you all should know. This could be happening to your car right now. Tom was forwarned twice in the past as this all started with my backhalfed thread years ago.

see 4th post from the top
Old 02-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Supreme Member

wholy crap glad to see your car did not crumble on the highway or somthing.

dang tough. thats extreme. roller time.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:23 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Glad your Ok Tom.

Geeze thats alot of freaking rust!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0L TBI (ebl inside)
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 lsd 10 bolt
Is all that rust just caused by salt from the winters or does central NJ still get salt water air?
Old 02-22-2006, 01:25 AM
Supreme Member

Car: IROC Z
Engine: 5.7
thats alot worse than my car was, and i live in canada!

Quick Reply: Oh.. my... g-d... my Firebird may be junk.