V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Running rich and rough after cleaning TB & new plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 94 Firebird
Engine: 3.4
Transmission: 4L60E
Running rich and rough after cleaning TB & new plugs

My car tends to idle erradically and stall when the throttle body starts to carbon up. It started stalling and idling erradically over the past month, so I cleaned the throttle body yesterday. I did not remove the whole throttle body. I removed the IAC and the top of the TB which the IAC gets bolted to. Cleaned everything throughly with throttle body cleaner and reassembled. I re-used the gasket for the upper throttle body. I started it up and let it idle for a few minutes in the driveway and all was fine. I went inside for a little bit to take care of some things and then took the car for a test ride. Start up was a little rough. As soon as I threw it in reverse, the car started to vibrate. Oh crap, I thought. I put it in drive and it got even rougher when I gave it gas. I drove it a little while, it vibrates horribly at low end rpm's and smooths out a little bit above 2500. It didn't feel like it was running on all 6 either. I limped it home and checked to make sure everything was sealed properly. Everything appeared fine. During my drive I could smell it running rich. This car has NEVER run rich. No codes either.

While I was cleaning the TB yesterday, I also changed plugs. Just use good old AC Delco R43TSK's. Checked firing order, it is correct. I checked for bad cylindars, but it was hard to get any definitive results from that because the motor ran that rough. It ran a bit worse when I pulled the wires off of 2, 4, and 6. Made very little difference when I pulled the wirese on 1,3, and 5.

I'm a bit stuck right now. I have a hunch that the gasket I reused is leaking, but could that cause it to run the way it is? Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: I forgot about this - Frequently while driving it, the speedo goes out for a couple of minutes at a time. The SES flickers but never comes on. Throws code 51 for bad PROM. Probably not related, but could the PROM failing attribute to this?

Last edited by ladyfirebird; 11-20-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:44 PM

Car: 88 Camaro, 93 civic hatch
Engine: 2.8L, 1.5L VTec
Transmission: 5 Speed, 5 Speed
Id double check the wires are on the plugs all the way. I had this issue with my car initally, #5 was a bitch to get to and I didnt realize it wasnt on all the way til I pulled all the plugs out thinking the gap was off on one of them.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:01 AM

double check that everything is installed properly. i had that problem a couple times. first time its was just that i didnt have a wire on fully. second time i had to replace the wires, cap and rotor. hope that helps
Old 11-22-2005, 12:01 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
The 3.1's have whats called an Idle learn procedure, its possible after you cleaned the IAC and its port, your making it have to re-learn this.

Also, re-using the old gasket (I dont know of a new one to get, so we have to) its possible you have a vaccume leak now.