V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

My car is pretty much totalled... now I'm screwed... (pics to come)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2000 Trans Am WS6 (Black)
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
If the insurance company won't give me much for the tires and alarm, I will demand they pay me full price for the re-installation of the alarm--then I will put crappy old tires on my car. A junkyard quoted me $60 for 4 rim w/ crappy old tires I can put on the car.

Thing is, I really don't want all this crap laying around--I'd MUCH rather just get the value of the tires and let them have them. 4 extra rims laying around will not be very fun... also having this car laying around to part out will definitely be annoying--not to mention it will be impossible to make much more than $500 off the car by parting it out....
Old 10-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: a car being parted out
Engine: blown up
Transmission: in peices
Originally posted by ScrapMaker

Thing is, I really don't want all this crap laying around... also having this car laying around to part out will definitely be annoying
I have parted out 5 cars in a year.
It is a total and complete PAIN IN THE A$$.
I was lucky with 2, as I sold a few parts on Ebay and one of the guys was local to come get the part. I ended up getting 1100 from him in a day, including removing one of the cars.
He came back a week later to get the other car, and deposit another 1200 with me. Taking that with the other parts sales, I made about 2K over what I paid into the cars.

The last one I lost my *** on, as I was tring to get the damn thing to run good... but got common sense too late. I was happy to sell parts off it to clear the price for my current truck, and the mods I have done with it, full exhaust headers back, dual yada yada.. and clean it up alot.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Any metal parts should be easy to get ride of. Just set them on the curbe and scrappers will take it. Plastic stuff, just shove it in a dumpster. Unless it recycable grade, then just set it on the curbe too.

Only tires are hard to get ride of.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Posi w/Disc
My local junkyard will take just about any core you want to drop off. Almost every day, several people drop off transmissions and engines. I got rid of a set of old rims & tires there. Give them a call & check if the yards in your area can help.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:44 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Gumby
Only tires are hard to get ride of.
Fire + Tire = Free Disposal

/going to hell.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:44 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
local scrap yard here will not take a car if it has a gastank, or tires.

I've parted out to many rides to know this.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:09 AM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
Hrm, yeah I still feel pain, and it's been a whole week.

Can it still be a pinched nerve? The doctor said everything was fine, and I had a muscle spasm and a pinched nerve, or something to that degree.

Hrm.
They said the same thing with me. IVE BEEN WITH CONSTANT BACK PAIN SINCE 2001!

Trust me, get an Attorney now. When everyting is said an done you may end up with the funds for a TTA instead of a GTA.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Supreme Member

Yep, you need a lawyer. Most won't even charge you as its not your fault. Plus don't be to eager to settle. Could take a year to get a final settlement.

Just remember the insurance company even yours is only conserned with their bottom line, not your long term health. Don't accept the first offer. They will size you up by it. I would no longer talk to them direct, let the lawyer talk for you. If they ask any question just remember to keep bringin up the lawyer.

Every question should be I am not sure. I will have to talk to my lawyer. Be smart.

Consider the insurance company the cops and your playing the I dunno game until I talk to my lawyer.

trust us here man. You can get your just due for all of use who get screwed. And it is your just due. Thats what insurnce is for.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Supreme Member

I'm calling the doctor in the morning, to tell him that my back still hurts (only feels SLIGHTLY better than before he worked on me,) and to see what lawyer he recommends---as he seemed to have a few he works with.

I have to go back to work in Waco, 100 miles away, but I hope I can do all this over the phone. Otherwise it's going to have to wait a few days.

I was thinking I may wait to get the lawyer until they at least make their first offer...

Also, if they allow me to keep seeking treatment, and re-imburse me along the way... maybe I don't even need a lawyer. My friend just submitted each bill from the doctor, and was paid for each one---and he hasn't even settled with the insurance company yet.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: lb9
Transmission: wc t-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.08 posi
get the lawyer now, dont wait, soft tissue damage is brutal, i hurt my back over a year ago on the job, and its still in rough shape.

don't screw around with back injuries, they will cripple you for life
Old 10-10-2005, 12:14 AM
Banned

Oh yeah, and I went back to enterprise today, and made them give me a new rental... I got a Nissan Altima... holy **** I love it.
I gotta say very very directly that if your opinion of a Nissan Altima is a dream to drive in comparison to what I am assuming you have been driving, then your car was a pile of crap to begin with and you are lucky it is totaled.

With that said, I will boldy say that a brand new Nissan Altima is a pile of crap when it comes to pleasure of driving when compared to my Camaro- there is no comparison.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:19 AM
Supreme Member

hrm, the altima has 40 more hp, and weights 300 pounds less...

just saying, it's faster than the v6, by far...

can't take turns as well, but it makes up for it with plush interior, and features out the wazoo.

I can think of about 9 places to put an LCD screen...

Imagine if it was the 3.5 Altima... it'd be 250hp at a little over 3000 pounds...

I'd still rather have my SLOWER firebird than this faster altima though... I like low-end torque, and t-tops.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:24 AM
Supreme Member

Don't wait another day. Get a lawyer now. It should not cost you anything so don't fret that. Plus it takes them lots of time to gather info. Flip open the yellow pages and call the big color adds first.

If they want money just to talk to you. Call the next one.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:30 AM
Supreme Member

I'll definitely talk to the doctor in the morning... I'll just use one that he recommends... he said they only get money if I get money... I don't 'pay' anything... they get 1/3, which is common with all lawyers.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Supreme Member

An update... my back feels much better, but I think I still need to talk to the doctor about long-term ramifications.

also the insurance company offered me $1200 for my car and taxes

I told the woman that I needed to give her information on upgrades/repairs on my car that were relevant.

She told me to go ahead and send in the info to her fax.

this is what I sent.

-----------------------------------------
Vehicle Information/Costs
- Core Vehicle Replacement Cost (1990 Firebird ~ 166k miles = $2500-$3000 (autotrader examples included)
- Tire Replacement Cost - ($91.99 x 4) + labor + warranties + tax = $514.75
- Rebuilt Motor @ 113,790 miles - 50% of engine life left - $2636.51/2 = $1318.26
- Alarm, Window Module, and Installation Costs = $632.49
- Extensive Front-End, Steering, and Brake Work (All in Like-New Condition.) = $700.02

Total: $5665 - $6165

Please call me at work, (123) 456-7890. I don't want to sound reasonable. I'm sure we can come to an agreement.
------------------------------------------

I haven't sent this in yet, because they haven't responded to whether or not they will accept 16 pages from a fax number.

let me know if I should change any of that...

I figure I'll aim high, then get something somewhere in the area of half of that... hell, maybe a bit more... I found several cars that were as old as mine with the same mileage that were selling for $2500
Old 10-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
sorry I know this isn't entirly funny but I now notice the irony of your name
ScrapMaker and now look at your car.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

too bad I wasn't the one MAKING the scraps!

oh well...

now I'll have to change my name to BEAST... as soon as I supercharge the GTA

wonder what a supercharged 5.7 will get MPG-wise? I'm so used to the 27-29mpg of my v6
Old 10-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Supreme Member

WoOOOOOoooOO!

Granted my sucky Bosch O2 was going out after just a few months (& I haven't replaced it yet), but my 305 TBI gets ~16MPG highway...I do drive 90MPH everywhere, though.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Supreme Member

oh, well I was getting 27 @ 90mph...

I guess I have to retract my previous record of 32... as it leveled out to a calm 27-29.

what would I have to do to a 5.7 tpi to have high hp and maintain mpg?

also... damnit, I can't ever get in touch with the insurance agents! if I don't get in touch by 10am tomorrow, I am faxing all 16 pages in a row... muahaha!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Supreme Member

btw... my buyback price for my car is one-hundred dollars.

if they give me money for my tires, engine, and alarm, will they still let me buy the car back for so cheap?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Supreme Member

doubtful. They will remove all that value you are tring to get, as you and they know what will happen, you will gank the parts and try to sell them.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car adds are a good idea. KBB doesn't mean crap compared to fair market value. Espicaly with crazy gas prices. Cool cars with small engines are in. Only give them one more shot guy. If the offer isn't close to fair just say your lawyer will have to handle it then.

YOu gotta kep bringing up the lawyer card. Your realy dumb if you don't. Lawyers scare insurance companies as they make them pay a fair price.

you gotta realize everyone is making money off your claim. If they get you to accept a low ball price, they get brownie point. If they end up paying you what is fair, they get yelled at.

No one will look out for you but the lawyer.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:08 AM
Supreme Member

I will send them all that paperwork today, and see what they counter-offer... if it's way too low, I might get a lawyer.

I need to call my doctor this morning, tell him that I'm much better, but I still feel a tad of pain where that pinched nerve was, especially when I sleep. He will probably suggest therapy or some longer-term treatment. We'll just have to see from there.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:12 PM
TGO Supporter

try to find out when you got the tires, and pro-rate them out. Same with steering linkage.

ANYTHING on that car is subject to pro-rate as it is now used. Even if you put it on the day before the wreck.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah I am in the process of scanning all these receipts in, and I have the email address of the total loss agent.

Dang... my back feels almost cured... so I'm going back to the doctor on Friday to find out for sure.

I was talking to the insurance guy earlier, and he said that I can do it two different ways:
1. Come Friday, I feel fine, safe, secure, sure of my health---we settle then, wipe hands on pants-call it a day.
2. Friday I find that I have damage that will last months or so -- even though most soft-tissue damage heals on it's own in less than 5 weeks... The agent can "leave it open"--or something to that extent. Basically he leaves whatever amount of money is necessary available for me to use on this treatment, whether it's a year from now, or two years, or whatever...

luckily I feel VERY sure that I have no long-term problems, and I'm hoping my visit on Friday will nail in the stone...

What I need to know, is how do I play my cards right to get the most money possible? I don't want to get a lawyer, (unless I have extensive damage or something weird)---which the doctor already told me that my back and all the discs, plates etc were all perfect... so I doubt I have anything wrong...

The main reason I don't feel that I can get a lawyer, and claim all this pain and this and that, is that from the very beginning, when the agent called me about my injuries, I was HONEST... I told him straight-up that it felt like pinched nerves, but I had no idea---it felt like someone was stabbing me with their finger.

I also talked to the doctor today and told him how I felt, and he was very sure I will be okay--I chose the follow-up just in case.

The insurance agent told me to make sure I was totally convinced I was healed before I began to talk about settlement or whatnot... it's so strange that this guy seems so honest, and isn't pushing for settlement... in fact, he's not pushing me at all.

The property damage I feel will be a bigger pain in the ***, but like everyone was saying earlier, this is a lose-lose situation... it just seems like so much work to "fake it," to get more money... plus I will get caught or something... I'm too afraid something bad would happen.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Supreme Member

Insurance fraud is a very nasty thing to get involved with...ironically, I think it's 'inverse' insurance fraud for them not to provide full recompense...
Old 10-11-2005, 05:31 PM
TGO Supporter

sounds like the guy is being quite nice, and concerned about your health. This is good.

I assume your also not being a dick to him, and in return hes being cool with you.

Back during my wreck, they would have allowed me to close on the car. But keep medical open for an agreed amount of time.

Make sure you get:
Car value
new proved parts of value
cost of re-registration for new car
sales tax on "new car" (if your state has that)
possible cost of higher insurance rates due to newer car.

I know you can go after all that, maybe more.

while I had the scanner running, I scanned some of my car wreck. Doesnt look bad tell you pop the truck and see the spare tire hitting the dec lid, and a hole in the trunk floor seam so big I could have fit a leg thru it.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

Well the guy I have been talking to the most is the personal injury guy, he is very nice and thoughtful...

unfortunately, they have different people for each section of the claim--so I have some new lady for the "total loss." She sounded willing to take my stuff into consideration..

I wonder how far I should let them push me, before I push back---regarding my car...? I don't want to come off as a dick right off the bat, but instead I'd rather use that as a last resort.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:04 PM
TGO Supporter

I would start with them listing each n every thing. not a lump "this here".

xx for car
xx for rebuilt engine
xx for new tires
xx for re-registration
blah blah blah

see if you feel them are fair. Then have 2 options in my eyes

1. Push once or twice "its not enough". after that, I would feel they can start claiming your not being fair.

2. If total amount comes to 1950. Say something like "make it 2100 and its a deal". or, "I'll take that 1950 if I get to keep the car" 150 is close to scrap steel value of the car. Yet they will more likely auction it off and it go for 300'ish.

They are going to get their money back, but yet both partys have to be reasonable.

A true fact is, 3rd gen f-bodys are getting harder to come across and find parts to fix them. Finding a replacement will be time consuming.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:12 AM
Supreme Member

It would be awesome if they will add value based on my requests... and STILL let me buy the car for $100!

/dreaming
Old 10-15-2005, 06:51 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
As the value o the car goes up the buy back rate goes up. So whats the word, spend all day car shopping?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Supreme Member

Actually I spent all day in PAIN. Everytime I go to the chiropractor, my back hurts more.

Right now I have this weird tingling feeling in my lower back. It feels like a funny bone being hit every time I move around. Also, the back of my left leg feels like it has a cramp... that same feeling--but it's not a cramp...

last night it got so bad that I actually was wishing I had accepted the pain killers... which I WILL get monday morning.

Last night I leaned against the wall, and pushed on the part of my back that was hurting--in hopes to pop it, or at least move the nerve or whatever that is being pinched, and IT WORKED!! all night I had no pain! So I definitely think it's a pinched nerve.

on the car issue... I basically just have to stand my ground and say that to replace my car will cost this and that... don't let them push me around.

Their client caused the accident, which in turn will make me have to dish out money... so they are going to have to pay for it.

Sounds like I'll get more pain and suffering money than I thought--but I'd rather have NO PAIN and also NO MONEY.... who cares about money if you can't enjoy it?

The insurance agent told me that they can't "pay for labor, or anything that doesn't increase the value of your car." --- Except that's not true at all. They are obligated to "restore me and my vehicle, to the best of their abilities, to the condition before the accident." -- to me, that means that they should pay ME how much it would cost me to actually purchase my car, in it's exact condition... plus the alarm, tires, and front-end work... (well the front-end work would just add on to the price of the car I was buying, since it would obviously be in better condition.) The motor should add SIGNIFICANT value to the car, because the price of a car with 50,000, and the price of a car with 180,000 miles is nearly 2.5x higher. They can't just give me nothing for that...

Basically I'll just take Red1991TransAm's advice, and just tell them what I need--and if she won't budge, just tell her that I need to talk with someone who can make these decisions--like her supervisor.

Basically I won't settle until I get exactly what I will have to pay to put myself back in my previous condition. Roughly $5,000 more than they have already offered me.

To be honest, if they will give me $3,000, and leave the buyback price less than $200, then I will take it-- just to get it over with... but I'd still be getting shafted.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

**update...

over the weekend, starting friday night, I started getting this weird tingling sensation down the back of my leg, all the way to the bottom of my left foot... my right leg is totally unaffected.

I tried manupulating my back slightly, on Saturday night... and all the sudden all the pain went away! -- well it came back on Sunday, just as strong.

I was seriously thinking of going to the hospital, because my leg basically felt/feels like it's asleep... like poor circulation. The only reason I didn't go this weekend was because I was reading up on the internet, and apparently the insurance company doesn't necessarily have to pay for an ER visit unless it was in the beginning of the accident, because they can deem it, 'unnecessary.'

Anyways, I went to see the chiropractor again this morning, and after I described my symptoms to him, he told me that my sciatic nerve going down to my left leg was pinched/inflammed/irrated, or all of the above. He told me that I will need to come back "several times," and told me that if I didn't think I had enough money to pay out-of-pocket, that I should consult an attorney, (which he was eager to supply one.) I asked him if there was any real benefit, IF I could afford it up front--and he told me that I would be better off just doing it the way I'm doing it now... which to me, gave that doctor a lot of credit in my book, since he obviously has all sorts of lawyer-friends that he could refer me to, but didn't, even though, in my situation, many people would have one.

Basically, I'd just get less pain-and-suffering compensation if I got a lawyer--plus it just makes insurance premiums everywhere more expensive.

The only way I will get a lawyer is if they royaly screw me on the property damage, which is slightly possible.

I was offered pain medication, and I took it, *** damnit! This is the strangest feeling i've ever had, throughout my entire twenty-one years! ( gettin old... ) So now I take a Celebrex once a day... doesn't make me drowsy, and it's more of an anti-inflammatory medicine.

I'll let you know what happens, but I feel this will take between one and two whole months to cure.

Last edited by ScrapMaker; 10-17-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Supreme Member

I am sorry to say, you might be lucky to get 2K... your not gonna get anywhere near 5K, that is a pipe dream. (For property damages)

I went through something similar when I got ran off the road 4 years back.
Took out two tires, and the right front suspension basically.
They fought with me over EVERYTHING. The quote I got to replace the busted stuff was over 1200. This also included a new lower air-dam.

They fought with me for 3 months, literally. Meanwhile I am still in school, and having to share a car so I can get to classes. I also had to pay to have 2 tires overnighted to replace the two blown out ones and spent my savings getting the car fixed.

I got everything replaced on my own, and the car back on the road before I saw a dime from them. They wanted to total out my car and I told them to go stuff a tree up their ***, there is no way the car is totalled for suspension work. And yes, I actually told them that.

I ended up getting 975 from them, and I gave the company trucks that caused the accident something back by giving them 14 flat tires, and two broken winshields.

So yes, stick to what you think is FAIR. A rule of thumb, once something gets bolted on and ran/driven on, it goes down at least 40% in value.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
I wish you luck and hope things work out more with the back/neck/leg issue then anything right now.
I'm not trying to scare you it's just that stuff is scary shiz to my opinion after what my dad went through. but at leeast one thing your doing different is your keeping on top of it trying to get it worked out from the start my dad was "too much of a man" at first and he ended up paying for it.

and yup he has problems with the sciatic also. painfull sum bich. if I remember right my dad described it almost like the a really bad cramp like feeling or at times like someone was poking needles through the leg or all kinds of other just pain starting from around the tailbone butt cheet area straight down.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Supreme Member

yup, when it's NOT really painful, it feels like a moderate cramp... when it flares up, it feels like total loss of blood circulation.

I've been doing a lot of research, especially on the TDI (Texas Department of Insurance) website... and they are obligated to put me in the "exact same condition," as I was in before the accident. Either by direct replacement, or by re-imbursing me with enough money to ACTUALLY buy the stuff in question.

I will not rest/settle, until I get EXACTLY enough to buy all the stuff I need.

At bare minimum, the car would cost me $2000... but then that car would have a stock motor with $166k miles on it! Then you have to either put in the value of my motor, as pro-rated, or give me the value of a firebird with 50,000 miles on it. That comes out to anywhere from $2500 to $3500, depending on if they credit the motor, or just reference a 50,000-mile firebird. They have to pay to have the alarm moved, or pay for the replacement---no question about it, it just depends on how long I have to fight them.

Basically they have to give me about $3,000 for me to go away... not including the pain and suffering and bills and such... just for the car.

If I can't get anywhere in the next few weeks, I will get a lawyer... even if I get just a little more money myself---it's the principal... they OWE me the money, and they will pay.

If their client hadn't caused the accident, I wouldn't be paying any money -- for anything. Basically, the way I see it, (and supposedly, Texas law,) they should be paying everything for me to be put in the original condition.)
Old 10-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Supreme Member

Although, I have the worst luck out of anyone I've ever met before... So I probably won't even get the $1300 that they are currently offering. The same day of the accident, my friggin 17 year-old dog passed away... My parents didn't tell me for two weeks because they thought I'd kill myself because of all the bad luck...

My luck is so damn bad, that even RadioShack isn't safe. I went in and bought one of those big-*** RC trucks, 7.2 volts... it was on sale because it was a repair... take it home, steering doesn't work. Okay, well I go back in, they swap it with another repair--- same damn thing happens... So I decided to buy this year's brand-new model. I take it home, play with it about 5 runs, then I plug in the fully-charged battery for the 6th run (over a two-day time frame,) and the steering servo just catches on fire... What. the. hell. My damn remote-controlled car caught on fire... how the hell does that happen?

at least radioshack let me swap it out... but I may as well just sell it on ebay, before my luck destroys it.

I think my luck revolves around my firebird... the day I was out buying it, some college kids sped by on the access road yelling, "Don't buy that car!" Throwing beer cans and stuff. Well, the car seemed perfect, I even had it inspected by two different shops... engine was in awesome condition

Take the car home, and within weeks the paint starts chipping away, because it had a $50 paint touchup job.. the t-tops started leaking, and the new interior the sales-guy said he had for me (from another wrecked thirdgen,) never materialized... Then to top it off, I drove the car less than 10,000 miles before the engine died... a spun bearing I believe... uh, somehow from 100,000, to 110,000, it went from absolutely no engine problems, to completely dying.

Long story short, I had the engine rebuilt, but they half-assed it, leaving leaks and all sorts of stuff I had to make them fix... it was never quite right... plus the $2636 I paid for the job was DEFINITELY not worth it.

Every car stereo I buy, breaks within 8 months of use... I don't abuse them, I don't off-road, I don't drive through pot-holes... and I keep my CDs clean... That's why I have the best buy 4 year warranty...

who knows what my future has in store... all sorts of bad luck, most likely.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Supreme Member

Hey! I went through the same type of crap a few years ago, too! What really irritated me was when people would tell me I was a bad luck magnet or something -- like I could help it. I wasn't getting suckered into anything; wasn't putting myself in bad situations. Crap just always happened to me A LOT more than most everyone I knew...and they knew...and they knew.

So...I understand. Sucks, but it's gotta end some time. I, for one, expect a better than decent life from all the crap I had to go through. The universe would seem 'out of balance' if I did not.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Supreme Member

if my back is actually fixed, and I get enough money to actually replace my car and whatnot... then I'll consider my luck to be average... I wouldn't be 'lucky,' because I'd need to be one of those people who gets like $50,000 from the accident... I'd consider myself average if I just got what I deserved...

although, getting what they owe me might actually be harder than I thought, and may actually make me a lucky person..

we'll see.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Supreme Member

Man... the total loss adjuster just called me to tell me that they can't give me any more than $1300 after talking with her supervisor.

I explained to her why I'm asking for more money, and after my polite, 30 second rant, she simply responds with the robotic, "We can't pay for more than the car is worth."

Everytime I ask anything, that's what she responds with. I asked her for her supervisor's name and number, and I will talk with her... Of course, the supervisor didn't answer the phone... duh... but eventually I will get in touch with her...

Man, I may HAVE to get a lawyer... this is getting out of control!
Old 10-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Supreme Member

Wow, now I'm pretty excited!

The same total loss adjuster called, after I asked for her supervisor's information, and told me that after consulting her "boss," she is authorized to give me NADA value, plus $175 for the rebuilt motor, but they had to take off $700 for the "condition." That is reasonable, I guess, in insurance terms, that painting the two black panels could cost that much.

So she said that it came out to like $2050 + ttl. She did make sure to slip in that I would have to give it a salvage title... so I don't really know if that matters, since I'd be parting out the car anyhow--or just selling it to a salvage yard.

She said it was something like $2200-$2300, and that she is going to fax me something to sign, and fax back to her. I just need to make sure there isn't anything tricky about what they write, because it's possible that they could try and get out of paying for my acual injuries... I doubt it, but it IS possible.

Sounds like I did pretty good on the price of the car... Just goes to show, that if you keep calling, leaving messages, and be as polite as possible--you may actually get somewhere with the agent.

Although, maybe they would have offered this to me anyways... Guess we'll never know, and I'm glad I don't have to find out.

The buyback price of the car is $153... Now I can pull the alarm, the rest of my custom LED stuff, and swap the tires out.

Now if they could only stop this damn tingling in my leg... I really hope I don't have to live with this crap forever... Everyone tells me that it will go away though.. so that's at least somewhat comforting.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Supreme Member

And I'd like to also say, Red1991TransAm was extremely helpful in this regard... I have never been in an accident, so I may not have called and followed-up as much as I did, without his advice.

One thing that I think was extremely effective---When the agent doesn't return your calls for a whole week... Just call and hit 0, then ask another agent if they can look into the matter... It seemed to really get the ball rolling.

Thanks man!

Now I just need to make sure I don't somehow get shafted on the whole "sciactic nerve thing."
Old 10-24-2005, 12:59 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by V6sucker
1. You will get nowhere near 2500 form the insurance company for it. Get that pipe dream outta your head. Take a look at what I plugged into KBB, and that was with 50K fewer miles and probly more options that you have.
I just thought I'd bring this up... since I'm getting $2300! Pretty close, huh?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:46 AM
Supreme Member

Yep as KBB has nothing to do with fair market value.
Which is so easy to push. Car dealers might only pay KBB prices for a car but when its time to sell, none of that matters. Popularity and even color can triple a price.

But glad your geting a fair deal.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Supreme Member

I decided I'm going to replace the fender and hood, and whatever I need to get it going again, just to get by for a few months--the car I'm using right now belongs to my parents, and unfortunately, one of their other cars broke down, so they need this one back!

Does anyone know if when the hood slid over, and pushed the other fender out a bit, if that ruined the fender, or the "apron," or nothing at all?
Old 10-24-2005, 12:12 PM
TGO Supporter

I think the front core support moved over thus moving the fender out. I think the fender will be "fine" if the core support was moved back over.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Supreme Member

you got lucky. Period.
I also told you to be a constant PITA, and it will help you.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Supreme Member

yeah, that worked out pretty good..

so the core support... how hard is that to bend back?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Supreme Member

yeah, that worked out pretty good..

so the core support... how hard is that to bend back?
depends how bad it is.
But you generally have to be a little more careful doing it.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Supreme Member

ok I guess I'll find out

Quick Reply: My car is pretty much totalled... now I'm screwed... (pics to come)