V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

65mm throttle body research

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 camaro & 70 mustang
Engine: 2.8l & built 351C
Transmission: borg warner T-5
65mm throttle body research

does anyone know what the bolt pattern is from center to center on the stock intake manifold or throttle body, how high it is and how wide it is?

please this is to help out all of us with highly moded 60* engines who need more airflow

i can't take my tools home from work, to measure this stuff.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2012 Ram express
Engine: 5.7 hemi
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.55
talk to amcamaro
Old 06-01-2005, 01:43 AM
Banned

just out of curiosity, is anyone interested in buying one of theese 63-68MM throttle bodies?

about 50% done on research and design, got to get a few more measurements and then the aircraft aluminum and start making chips!
anyone interested email me and once i am done with mine, i will come up with a price and i will make a limited run of them. remember i got to make them by hand(no CNC machine) i am looking at maybe 5-10 max.
i will post some pics when i get mine done!
Old 06-01-2005, 02:24 AM
Banned

Car: Agood2.8,
Engine: V6rsr,
Transmission: Afrikingoodtime
65mmis too large for these motors. You are going to get a slight hesitation when first cracked open. 62 is the max you want to go. Franz did some testing on this with 3.4 motors even back when he designed and was selling the billet 62mm TB's. PS I have a billet FDP 62mm TB on my car.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:56 AM
Banned

i understand that he did some testing and he found that on a unstroked, unported un polished engine that 62 was max. i got a custom intake, larger valves, "super cam", a stroker kit, headers, and a few other performance parts just to name a little. by the way who else on this website is able to run in the 8,000 rpm range, cause as far as i know, i am the only one. i need alot of air to get the engine running right at that kinda rpm. do the math, a 3.3(2.8 bored and stroked) running a .60 over piston, and a stroker kit to get those extra ci's and you tell me what kind of airflow it is gonna take to get that engine to breathe freely. by the way i am not running single exhaust like the rest of you, i am running dual 2 1/2 side! please don't cut on me til you know what i got, and like i said i will be making them custom(whatever size you want)
AM91 isn't having a problem with his 65MM eithor and he only has a custom upper, i got the full intake!(no offense AM91, you and i already talked about this on another thread)
Old 06-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Chevy Camaro Hardtop
Engine: Turbocharged/Intercooled 3.1
Transmission: World Class T5 5 Speed
Originally posted by 87blueracr
...do the math, a 3.3(2.8 bored and stroked) running a .60 over piston, and a stroker kit to get those extra ci's and you tell me what kind of airflow it is gonna take to get that engine to breathe freely....
You have a 3.24L motor, not a 3.3L. 197.76ci (3.56" bore x 3.31" stroke).

Assuming 100% VE @ 8000rpm, you'd need 457.78 cfm of air.

A 350ci @ 5500rpm needs 557cfm of air. (again, 100% VE assumed here)

You are actually more in line with a 305ci @ 5500rpm (485cfm) so as a base line, you'd want to set it up similar. Airflow is airflow, period. You can adjust header length, primary size, Y pipe size, etc, to increase over 100% VE (or heck, just get closer to 100% VE) but you'll still be dealing with the same physical principles of fluid dynamics.

I'd say that set up like you are, you're probably hovering around 88% VE, so that'll mean you are flowing 402.84cfm currently, @ 8000rpm.

Now, the key to a good throttle body, is keeping air flow velocities acceptable. A 62mm throttle body, on YOUR MOTOR, flowing 402cfm @ 8000rpm @ 88% VE, has an air flow velocity of 206ft/second. You don't want to exceed 300ft/sec (too much pressure drop from drag) - I would put a 62mm TB on your car.

For reference, your current stock 52mm monoblade is creating air velocities of 295ft/sec @ 8000rpm. That is unacceptable.

Why am I going 65mm? Here's the same data I just did for you, but for my car - 3.1L (191ci) running a T61 @ 10psi, @ 6000rpm (assuming 85% VE).

281.86cfm N/A.
473.52cfm Boosted.

With a 65mm TB, I'll have a air flow velocity of 220.55 ft/second. (NOTICE THIS IS MORE THAN A 62MM ON YOUR 8000RPM MOTOR)

Wait a second!! My next motor is a 7000rpm solid cammed 18psi beast... I had planned on re-using my TB... hang on.... 757.305cfm @ 88% VE.... That's 353.388 ft/second. ARG.

Ok, so a 65mm on this motor (and for anyone running one of my street turbo kits) is good, but my beast motor is going to need a bigger TB.... I'm thinking progressive secondary TB.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Banned

doward, if you are looking for a bigger throttle body, tell me what size you want it, and i will make you one that will bolt up to your intake and work with your setup. i am thinking that around 68mm is about right, and i don't have my machinist's handbook near enough to do the calculations, but that sounds like about right, just let me know what bolt pattern you want,(stock is too small for a throttle body that big! especially with 18psi of boost, you want something with a little meat on there to hold that extra pressure. i think that you are close enough to drive it over to you in a evening, besides i want to take a look at your car anyway. i take it that you are going with a custom intake manifold. if so then we can put a 4 bolt pattern on there to help ensure no leaks at the flange.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Banned

doward, if you are looking for a bigger throttle body, tell me what size you want it, and i will make you one that will bolt up to your intake and work with your setup. i am thinking that around 68mm is about right, and i don't have my machinist's handbook near enough to do the calculations, but that sounds like about right, just let me know what bolt pattern you want,(stock is too small for a throttle body that big! especially with 18psi of boost, you want something with a little meat on there to hold that extra pressure. i think that you are close enough to drive it over to you in a evening, besides i want to take a look at your car anyway. i take it that you are going with a custom intake manifold. if so then we can put a 4 bolt pattern on there to help ensure no leaks at the flange.

thanks for the calculations,
Old 06-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Banned

Franz has a very built 3.4 that turns 8000 rpms. The motor will pull a larger TB no problem, but what you are not understanding is it will stumble at low rpms when you first crack open the throttle, then it will stabilize and pickup. It hurts daily drivability at lower rpms, so unless you have for some reason built a 60*V6 motor as a full time racecar without seeing street use (which would be besides me, I am building one for a somewhat tame daily driver. A drag car I would no way in heII build a 60*V6), I would suggest staying with a 62mm

Got a picture of your car or motor? Would love to see it.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Banned

And before you decide to put your foot in your mouth anymore before checking on me, here's the 3.5L that is sitting in my garage under build
Attached Thumbnails 65mm throttle body research-1ab.jpg  
Old 06-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Banned

put it this way i am waiting on the intake to come in, but i got everything else on and i am about to get the headers on sometime in the next month(THANKS KED FOR THE GREAT DEAL), but really it looks like a stock car yea i got the msd ignition, but other than the trueleo(waiting on me)intake and the hooker supercomp headers it looks bone stock cause everything is internal. if i can inbetween the priming and painting this weekend i will try to find a digicam and take a few pics of it for you. it really isn't nothing special though, and right now it looks like **** as i am in the middle of doing body work and repainting it.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Banned

looks good, i try to keep mine as stock looking as possible, that way noone really has a clue as to what i am running. some things are left a secret til the money is down, ya know. i mean i am about to drop a s***load of money in the car, and when i do, watchout import "supercars" ie supra's and 3000gt's cause i got their number. racing mustangs is no fun in the f-body anymore, theay are mostly sound no go(unlike my mustang) i will try to get some pics, but keep in mind it is a work in progress. literally i come home, and go back to work on the car fixing messups from the last guy that had it.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Banned

Ok, Then what internals do you have in it making it spin 8K and what cluth/flywheel assembly, what computerwork, what exhaust? Sorry kid, but there is no way in heII you are spinning 8k
Old 06-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Supreme Member

It's possible to spin 8000rpm in these motors. The stock bottom end is rated by GM to 7000rpm, afterall.

I'm not leaning toward BS or not, yet, but pics will definetly quell the fire

Dean, I'm thinking either a progressive 2bbl throttle body, or saying screw it, and do individual runners. Are there any problems that you are aware of, of running a plenum atop the runners (where the throttle blades will be)? I mean, with a turbo system, I still have to seal up the intake...
Old 06-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Banned

i am not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but i don't own a digital camera, and i am not listing all the parts i got to do that, but just remember certain V-8 connecting rods will work with out much modification(5.700" long) and i am a machinist in the navy. stock as doward says will spin 7,000. throw in some better valvesprings to keep the valves from floating, and a cam designed to help in that area and you got 8,000 valvetrain will do just fine with a little modification. as i said i am not too terribly far from doward, and when i am done i will try to get up with him and meet him. he actually has a great reputation on the streets of jacksonville. they refer to him as the guy with the turbo camaro from the ocala area.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Banned

please dean, don't call me a kid, i am 23 years old and i have seen combat on 2 different ships in 2 different times, on multiple different operations. remember when we hit baghdad? that was my guys that spearheaded all of that!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Supreme Member

i am not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but i don't own a digital camera, and i am not listing all the parts i got to do that, but just remember certain V-8 connecting rods will work with out much modification(5.700" long) and i am a machinist in the navy. stock as doward says will spin 7,000. throw in some better valvesprings to keep the valves from floating, and a cam designed to help in that area and you got 8,000 valvetrain will do just fine with a little modification. as i said i am not too terribly far from doward, and when i am done i will try to get up with him and meet him. he actually has a great reputation on the streets of jacksonville. they refer to him as the guy with the turbo camaro from the ocala area.
WTF. I'm known in Jacksonville!!!??? *sniff sniff* I feel loved Ok, traction and 13s coming soon!!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:51 AM
Banned

yea you are known in jax. besides one of my buddies was telling me about your car about a year ago right after you put the turbo in. i am really impressed with what you have been able to do. i can't wait to see one of us hit 11's that is D**n quick for a little 6 like what we are all running, i am glad that someone besides me knows that theese little cars will turn 8,000 with the proper parts.

RTFC some things poeple won't just give out, and for me to tell you exact specifics on my car, you gots to beat me(mustang) and since i doubt that that will happen any time soon, start spending $35,000 cause that is what you gonna need to even keep up!

i really want to see what that turbo kit will do on my engine with a new cam with better turbo characteristics. maybe soon, getting a reenlistment bonus in the 5 digits!
Old 06-02-2005, 01:21 AM
Banned

RTFC some things poeple won't just give out, and for me to tell you exact specifics on my car, you gots to beat me(mustang) and since i doubt that that will happen any time soon, start spending $35,000 cause that is what you gonna need to even keep up!
You are pretty naive aren't you?
You do understand this V6 is my wifes car don't you... I guess not.
A V6 motor may be able to spin 7000 freely, but it will not produce power and pull a load up that high unless your entire drivetrain is so fit..Please shut up now...please
You have no clue who you are calling to the table.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:38 AM
Supreme Member

87blueracr, I gotta say, Dean (RTFC) is really not the guy to call out on here. He's got a vette that's got more power than the Nimitz, and his thirdgen (Like he said, his WIFE'S car) is simply brutal in the twisties.

If Dean really wanted to build a fast V6 Thirdgen, he'd surpass even myself, very quickly. He's got the $$ to do pretty much whatever he wants to whatever he wants (evident in the TONS of custom suspension work to the 2.8 Camaro).

Personally, I'd love to see what his suspension might do under my own turbo 3.1L
Old 06-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Banned

actually you have no idea as to who you are calling to the table. i know that you got another car, and i have seen the rear end in your pics, don't think that a little corvette scares me. if i can whoop up on a shelby cobra and a GT-40 easily, don't think that you gonna scare me. if you want to go to the track, put your money where your mouth is, cause i got the cash, and the car.
perhaps you don't know where i come from. i was born and raised in carlisle pennsylvania, do you know where that is?
let me tell you, it is the site of the largest corvette and ford car shows in the entire east coast. don't think that i don't know fast cars, cause boy are you wrong. i may be 23, but i been building engines professionally for 5 years(since i was 18). you think that you got a fast car cause you run 9's, well call me when you finally get to the 8's and i will spend the grand to bring the car to wherever you are at and put a spanking on you like you need to
keep that ego in check. i don't like getting into pi**ing contests, but if you really want to, i will lay the smack down,
cause noone questions my ability on cars, NOONE. just cause i went in the military doesn't mean i needed to for the money, cause military doesn't get paid too much. i did it to serve MY country, and egotistical poeple who jump to conclusions like you.
p.s if you really knew that much about cars, you would know that anything is possible if you got the money, and money talks& B***S**T walks.

this is my daily driver, not my play toy. how many poeple do you know that drop 20,000 on their daily driver cause it aint got enough ***** without having a bad a** toy in the garrage?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:54 AM
Banned

Yet you can't even afford a digital camera to really show what you have huh cowboy?
Maybe cause you ain't got sh*t and you are a broke *** punk talking crap over the internet, put up or shut up.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:01 AM
Banned

first, my digital camera just got stolen last month, second where are you at, third what are we running for, say $10,000 sound good?

NOW PUNK you put up or shutup
Old 06-02-2005, 02:13 AM
Banned

I live 5 mins from Doward, I'll find you.

See here, This is how dumb you are and you can't see it though everyone else can.
1st, you ask in here about a TB bolt pattern measurement. You can't check out your tools from the military and take them home,tsk,tsk- some professional. You then say you will make a group purchase of units and will take pictures of it when ready, then you say you have no camera. Then you say you are 23 and have done two tours in your long lifetime and have also been a professional engine builder for 5 years- You are a two bit army mechanic working on tanks or something, you are no professional, you are 23 and wet behind the ears. You state that John Doward has a great reputation around your parts in Florida and for someone who has such a bitchin fast mustang that turns 8's with a $35,000motor, you seem to certainly idolise John Dowards V6 Camaro from your statement above, why would you idolize a guy with a 14 sec car you expert if you weren't so full of sh*t and really had a fast car. Then your motor turns 8000k but is having probelms breathing, then you state you are waiting for parts like a Trueleo intake when you first said you've "got" these parts and those parts......You've got everyone and everything covered, you are the man, don't mess with you. Then you want to buy a turbo kit from Doward with your reinlistment "5-digit" check and put it onto a motor that you have supposedly already built to turn 8k with radiacl internals that you can't seem to list and was supposedly already built with a certain radiacl compression, cam, stroked and such then you want to simply thorough a turbo on it when it was built N/a, and you are a motor building professional? Got news for you, your radically built myth will not take a bolt on turbo if it is already bumped to 12:1 compression and a cam turning 8k- boy did you make a mistake and now have to tear it back apart and rebuild it for the turbo application- but forgot- you are moneybags and this is just a toy so you can save your 8 sec Mustang from daily wear.

Am I making it clear how naive you look around here?
Is this sinking in yet? Grow up kid.

I bet you'll claim you have a whole bunch of swamp land to sale me next?

I'll be at Calif Speedway on the 24-26 weekend, come out and play moneybags, I'll have $500 in my pocket waiting for a serious challange. You'll have to wait in line, there are others waiting to try and knock me off top dog first before you kid.

Last edited by RTFC; 06-02-2005 at 02:36 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:20 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
87blue, I've been staying out of this, but its gotten outta hand, so I'm going to chime in now.

1. I called your 65-68mm tb to large in another thread. You said you had one hell of a motor, and it would be fine. I left you alone. But now you come on here asking for bolt pattern to put it on a STOCK intake. First of all, 62mm barly fits on a stock intake. Now your changing storys and having a truelow one. This is not stock.
2. Someone else has now called it to big. They also staited what results it will have on daily use. Which you say yours will be.
3. you say your a machinest. Then make your own!!
4. You say you will get pics, later say you have no camera. Surly you know someone who does. Hell, I got 8.
5. While you've posted no plan of your engine. Getting an engine to spin to 8k involves more then headers, intake, valve train and a throttle body. How about oiling (you know these engines do have poor oil system), cooling (another down fall of these engines), internal windage, balancing, better bearings, main caps and such right?
6. Having an engine of 12:1 compression involves using more then pump gas. Where do you intend to get gas for this daily driver? Because you can go to jail for using aviation fuel. Futher more, WTF would you want a daily driver to turn that many damn rpms?
7. You claim to have an 8sec muffstang. Post a video and pictures of next to your camero. Being were on one of the lagest automotive sites on the web, you dont think we have had some posers come on here? PLEASE. We called them out like were calling you out. SOO PUNK! Put up or shut up!! And scans of slips dont count.
8. We dont give a damn what job you or why you picked it, aslong as its honest money. Nor do we care your age, race, or sex. If it dont involve cars, it dont belong here.
9. For someone who has ONLY 5 years of engine building experience, you sure seem to think you know alot. Try asking someone advice whos built a engine faster then 8 seconds, or been building for more then 5 years.
10. Again, while no plans of what your doing with your car. I do hope you plan on changing the suspension, and drivetrain. Because I know my measly 190hp is hell getting going on one of the top 10 stickiest street tires. Let alone stopping something thats turning 8000k rpms and no vibration.
11. Building a rare engine like this, I do hope you intend spend more then 35k on it to make it reliable. Thats chump change unless your doing the commen "SBC".

Futher more.. your the newbie here, dont go calling out a long term board member(dean has been here longer then me) when their offering info on something you asked about. We as a board have NO PROBLEM helping give someone advice, and helping them build their car aslong as their not full of chit. So while your storys are paper thin bud. Have a friend take pictures, post video of the stang, and type up a full list of future plans for your car. We will then help you.

Otherwise, have a nice day
Old 06-02-2005, 10:18 AM
TGO Supporter

all bickering aside. I simulated your engine with what little info I had.

2.8 bore .060 over, and 3.31 crank
super six ported heads (max anyones beable to flow)
small tube headers with open exhaust
comp power pack cam (dunno what your specs are, pm them to me if you want me to redo this).
12:1 compression
10deg of timing

52mmtb got me=
232hp@5500
260tq@3500
148hp/97tq@8000

62mmtb=
238hp@5500
261tq@3500
156hp/102tq@8000

65mmtb=
239hp@5500
262tq@3500
157hp/103tq@8000

so while you do gain 1hp and 1tq at 8000, your going to lose driveablity issues on daily use around town. IMO, not really worth it.

at 8000rpms, your vol efficency on this program is 65.3%
Old 06-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Dale
all bickering aside. I simulated your engine with what little info I had.

2.8 bore .060 over, and 3.31 crank
super six ported heads (max anyones beable to flow)
small tube headers with open exhaust
comp power pack cam (dunno what your specs are, pm them to me if you want me to redo this).
12:1 compression
10deg of timing

52mmtb got me=
232hp@5500
260tq@3500
148hp/97tq@8000

62mmtb=
238hp@5500
261tq@3500
156hp/102tq@8000

65mmtb=
239hp@5500
262tq@3500
157hp/103tq@8000

so while you do gain 1hp and 1tq at 8000, your going to lose driveablity issues on daily use around town. IMO, not really worth it.

at 8000rpms, your vol efficency on this program is 65.3%
Run it again, with these cam specs -

310/320 SAE, 248/258 @ .050", and .500/.520 lift - on a 112 LSA, exhaust and intake. Mechanical, btw.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Doward
Run it again, with these cam specs -

310/320 SAE, 248/258 @ .050", and .500/.520 lift - on a 112 LSA, exhaust and intake. Mechanical, btw.
That would never pass smog around this part

Hence why I am debating going to a bolt on supercharger unit. The compression and cam I would have to run to get the rpm's and power I wantedjust isn't feasible in So. Calif with snmog inspections and the trouble of us possibly loosing one more octane point on pump gas in the near future. We are already limited to 91oct, they may drop to 90oct
Old 06-02-2005, 12:33 PM
TGO Supporter

didnt give me mechanical choice. So I choose solid high performance cam.

Above specs expect for cam change to dowards suggestion.

52mmtb=
257hp@6000
256tq@4500
212/139@8000

62mmtb=
268@6000
261@4500
228/150@8000

65mmtb=
270@6000
262@4500
231/152@8000

edit, 89%eff at 8000 with the 65mm TB

Last edited by Dale; 06-02-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Supreme Member

Yes, Solid = Mechanical cam.

Odd that it's showing 89% VE @ 8000rpm... what's the VE @ Max Tq? (4500rpm)
Old 06-02-2005, 04:08 PM
TGO Supporter

108.8. Which is not the peak ve%

That is 109.6@5000

heading home now, so I wont have these files tell tommorow again.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:49 AM
Banned

first off, i don't idolize doward, i do applaud him for his achievements, second, you can bet that i got the mustang, third, rtfc, your car is set up for a road race, mine is set up for drag, fourth, if you all wouldn't try cuttin on me til you know what i got and what i am getting, i wouldn't be so prone to call the bluff, fifth, the numbers on that cam that doward gave you dave, were not far off, and he knows it. i don't have the grind sheet here right now, but frankly i remember .500 intake and .520 exhaust or something close to that,
just incase you were wondering, i plan on getting the parts, then when i got the parts massed, pull the engine, send it to the shop for new bearrings and to get bored out,heads ported and polished and the seating surfaces checked for warpage and re surfaced. then i start the buildup. i want to see what kind of times that i can get out of it, then i am gonna get with doward(after lowering the compression) and have him put one of those turbo kits on it.

now on the compression ratio, YOu CAN run 93 octane pump gas with 12.1 compression ratio, but you are gonna get serious spark knock. anything higher than that and you got to start running leaded gas or racing alcohol.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:20 AM
TGO Supporter

I'm not dave, I'm Dale.

If thats close to your cam, them are the stats. IMO, 65 is still to big on a car that will be a daily driver. But its your car. If your going to build the tb yourself. Build it for 62mm with potential to take it back apart, and bore it to 65 or 68 later after the turbo.

If you want, pm me your exact cam specs, I'll take screen shots and email them to you.

Looking at ported head numbers, having any lift over .45 pointless.

So if your area has 93oct, thats cool. But your seriously going to have to do some re-programing of the prom as well.

If you still plan on spinning 8k, you need to re-look the oiling issues, cooling issues, and driveline vibration.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Banned

sorry dale, didn't mean to call you the wrong name, man. didn't say that i was going to run 11.1 comp but my particular cam is suggested to be ran with a 10.5:1-12:1 compression, Dual valvesprings, roller rockers, solid mechanical lifters, and alot of other performance parts. i am also going up a size on the valves.
dale just for curiosity's sake, try running that with a 68 mm throttlebody.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:25 PM
TGO Supporter

their is a dave on the board, thats why I corrected you. Dont want you getting us mixed up

Largest vavles I have heard of in these heads is 1.8/1.45. Also done by supersix. But maybe you have connections. I just found out about a new head company not far from me. Got an email sent

3.56bore/3.31 stroke
68mmtb, assuming it flows 460cfm@1.5hg
sfi injection
cam doward mentioned
12:1 comp
small tube headers with dump
supersix heads 1.72/1.42
10deg of timing

272hp@6000-6500 106.4%
263tq@4500 109%
234/154@8000 89.6%
110% @5000

Something else I just thought of. This is all still at stock 10deg of timing. Does that cam suggest anything different?
Old 06-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Banned

by the way i got the long tube hooker supercomp headers, give me a minute and i will check crane's website for the specs on the cam but i know that the stock cam i got it at 17* and i am sure that i will have to go to something like 23* to get power at 8,000 to be significant enough to rev it that high on the track
Old 06-03-2005, 03:58 PM
TGO Supporter

program will only let me do small tube headers, or large tube headers. I belive all for the v6 are "small tube".

Program will only let me go to 15deg of timing??
Old 06-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Banned

i just tried to pm you but it didnt' work, guess i got too much open right now. if you would like to try to find the rest of the specs on the cam i am using, go to crane cam's website and search for p/n 251241. that is the exact cam that i am using,

warning for anyone that wants to get it, all the stuff you need to run that cam is above 700$ let alone the cost of the new bearings for it and a new distributor shaft and such.
try large tube cause i believe that the headers that i am running are about the same size as a small block v8(ask am91 for sure) as he has the same headers.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Banned

will the 3.4l heads bolt up to the 2.8l block? i know the intake manifolds are the same and i know the exhaust is the same, but what about the heads being longer just like the block being longer?
Old 06-03-2005, 07:22 PM
TGO Supporter

heads are almost the same. And unless you have one sitting next to the other, you will never know.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:56 PM
TGO Supporter

got specs, above specs are 100% correct.

Heres screen shot with largetube headers, and 68mm tb

http://img220.echo.cx/img220/2940/87blue9vy.jpg
Old 06-03-2005, 08:03 PM
TGO Supporter

heres mine *snickers*

http://img142.echo.cx/img142/6971/mine1vl.jpg
Old 06-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Banned

those are some prety good numbers for my engine, though it is calculated, and i wil find out when i get the engine finished, there are a few things that i plan on doing to make it a little faster, but nothing on the engine side. rest of it is like nitrous and a new regeared tranny, i can't believe that it will run at over 100% efficency. that is crazy. but then again gotta feed it to get power out of it. that is what i thought about the heads, but i figured that i would check to make sure. now if they only made lightweight flywheels and dry sump oil and water pumps, i would really be able to create a beast(in 60* terms) maybe i will check around and see what i can come up with later on after everything else is done.

RFTC i think that you were talking about road racing, i don't road race, i drag race. on a road race you would most deffinately take me, but not on a strip, as your suspension is not setup for it. just like mine is not set up for the twisties. so in your own righ yea you would beat me on a road race, but like i said i would beat you on the strip, due to how the cars are setup and how different the types of racing are.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Banned

those are some prety good numbers for my engine, though it is calculated, and i wil find out when i get the engine finished, there are a few things that i plan on doing to make it a little faster, but nothing on the engine side. rest of it is like nitrous and a new regeared tranny, i can't believe that it will run at over 100% efficency. that is crazy. but then again gotta feed it to get power out of it. that is what i thought about the heads, but i figured that i would check to make sure. now if they only made lightweight flywheels and dry sump oil and water pumps, i would really be able to create a beast(in 60* terms) maybe i will check around and see what i can come up with later on after everything else is done.

RFTC i think that you were talking about road racing, i don't road race, i drag race. on a road race you would most deffinately take me, but not on a strip, as your suspension is not setup for it. just like mine is not set up for the twisties. so in your own righ yea you would beat me on a road race, but like i said i would beat you on the strip, due to how the cars are setup and how different the types of racing are.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 3.1...not hardly stock
Transmission: 700r4....not stock either
Axle/Gears: 3.73
the headers are no where near large tubes! the old hookers are actually smaller than the new pacesetters. i believe that the hookers have 1.25 primaries...possibly 1.125, don't remember right now.

i am going to guess that you will have detonation problems at part throttle trying to run that much timing. i am running about 12* (with the little wire unhooker), running 10.75:1 CR and i get detonation at part throttle.

3.4 heads will bolt on exactly the same as the 2.8 or 3.1 heads do. But they aren't different than any of the other FI heads. the heads nor the block of a 3.4 are longer...they are the same externally. I don't see the big advantage to doing the 1.8 valves. a) that is only .08" bigger diameter. b) that creates a LOT more of a valve shrouding issue in the chambers. then, if you try to deshroud them, you lower you compression ratio...
Old 06-04-2005, 02:15 AM
Banned

Is this guy still talking to me? Go away already kid, your bothering me.

you still have no clue, and have no idea of the cars I am assoiciated with.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:07 AM
Banned

you are prolly right am91, but i was just throwing a idea out there to see what everyone thought about it. i thought that they might have been smart to make the primaries a little bigger concidering that hooker normally makes Race parts. if not, then i got a good template to make a set a little larger like say 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 primaries. i will prolly play around with the sizes to get what i want out of the engine before it is all said and done. i know what i got and what i want to get, and i can use all of them to get what i want out of the motor. motors are ment to be tweaked with. parts are ment to be played with, and tweaked.
not everything is set in stone yet. most of my plans are, but some are not(like the heads) i know mechanical stuff, but this airflow stuff, i know a little, but not all. i am still new to the physics of air. give me a piece of metal and i can build anything, but this airflow stuff, i am still learning(same with computer controlled engines) i hate computers.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2012 Nissan Leaf
Engine: 80-kW AC synchronous electric motor
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: n/a
"wow... well, my dady is a fireman! "

ok, sorry i just read all this and it sounded like a couple of third graders fighting over whos dad could beat up who.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:20 AM
Banned

actually i like the phrase of who'se D**k is bigger, and he thinks i really care if his car handles the twisties better than mine, mine is built to take and raise up on 2 wheels and go flying down the track at what feels like mach 1. i know that i got a bad a$$ drag car, could care less who his buddies are, cause just cause your buddy got a nascar or something like that, doesn't mean you got a nascar. know what i mean.
i mean i think it is funny, he comes on to my thread and starts talking like i have no clue, and one of his employees rings up the numbers(theoretical) on the issue and he still got a pole up his ****. he was wrong and he got friggin rent-a-cop syndrome. if you wrong, say you wrong, and get over it. i thought that a 68 mm throttle body was better for my setup, he said that 62 mm was better, dale proved that i will get more hp from a 68 mm. yea i will be somewhat slow til i get to 3,000 in first gear, but after that it don't matter cause the lowest that i will see is around 4,000 cause of shifting. i am building a performance *****-eater, not a friggin road car.

i am just trying to get some info on building a camaro that will toast those friggin supras and subaru's and 3000 gt's that think they rule jacksonville. i don't want to bring my mustang down from pennsylvania, cause it wouldn't even be fun, it would be like fishing with dynamite. you know that you gonna get your fish, or feeding seagulls alkaseltzer, you already know that if the bird nibbles, that it is gonna eat it and die! know what i mean?
Old 06-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Banned

You are so full of crap kid. I have already call you out to put up or shut up about your bad *** Mustang myth.
Since you pesist, I own a '68 Vette that has turned a 10.89 1/4 @ LACR on street tires and a roadrace setup- but drag racing is boring uless you drive something like this kid- Why don't you come to the world of 5 sec cars idiot. I happen to hob *** with about 70 different race teams each year in a show I promote Called Thunderfest here in So Calif. Thunderfest happens to be the LARGEST NHRA SPONSORED carshow and exhibit in the USA. I am the Head judge and event organizer of this event for the last 8 years.

You my friend are wet behind the ears at 23, grow up and get some experience in life before you start talking crap to someone you do not know over the internet. Want to see what would impress me, something along the lines of this. This happens to be a vintage Top Fuel Funnycar moron. Ever hear of the Wally Parks NHRA Museum? This is where I steal this car from each year and Steve Gibbs brings out a few more and judges also.. Know the name Dave McClelland? Personal acquaintance of mine and he hosts Thunderfest each year for us. How about Darrel Youngs racing transmissions? I have Driven Jimmy's 8 sec Nova on a dialin run to 9.90 setting the throttle stop. It was a little loose and I broke through at 9.24 @ 152mph. That car has a potential of about 8 flat at about 180 mph with it to the wood and no throttlestop. When you come off the line and the throttle stop finally kicks off, holly crap son. Talk to me then. I live around 5-10 sec cars. I do not own one, you can't drive them much at all and they are very costly to run and store.
Attached Thumbnails 65mm throttle body research-1234.jpg  

Quick Reply: 65mm throttle body research