V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

fuel tank and pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 03:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2012 Nissan Leaf
Engine: 80-kW AC synchronous electric motor
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: n/a
fuel tank and pump replacement

yes i searched.

the story: curent fuel tank leaking slightly. needs replacement. curent (9 month old) fuel pump is allready going south. needs replacement.

questions:
i have heard about some corvette fuel pump being WAY better. is ther a better fuel pump. if so what is the part number or originally equiped car?

what is the part # on newer fuel tanks with the extra bafling. or years.

does anyone make an aftermarket sending unit?

also, there are four hoses comming out of the fuel tank.
1 fuel feed line.
2 inlet vent (stops after about three feet, for alowing air to be sucked into the tank)
3 fuel return line (overflow not used by the engine)
4 fuel vent outgoing (to the best of my knowledge, goes aallllll the way to the front of the car to the charcol canister.)

but where does the fuel go from the charcol canister? also, if you plugged this hose at the tank would it cause any problems? at first i thought duh, pressure would build up ahnd the tank would pop open. but if the fuel pump sucks say a gallon of fuel out, it will return a good portion, (lets say 3/4 of a gal.) that is still an emptying trend. it seems to the tony that the only vent needed would be the inlet vent.

if anyone can proviode insight that would be swell

EDIT: as i read over that last paragraph i realized it all made perfect sense except one small detail.... what about when you turn your car off at night and then it gets hot outside the next day. any liquid is going to expand more then a steel tank. POP!

Last edited by Xophertony; 04-13-2005 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: IROC Z
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
until tomp chimes in with the right answers

the corvette has a higher deadhead? (haha if im wrong on the termonology) fuel pressure, and metal internals instead of plastic. its a better fuel pump all around.
and the 1LE ? gastanks i know had baffles.

i realllllllly wish my car had a baffled tank. i hate watching the gas guage go nuts and car almost stall even theres 1/4 tank left and i corner sharp or brake hard.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:17 AM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 191ci 6cyl
Transmission: 700r4
even the v8 fuel pumps are better, metal internals and all that fun stuff. Just get a fuel pump for a 350...which would probably be close to if not the same as the vette....or not even close.....or yea.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Supreme Member

What tank you seek is from a 1989 & above F Body. It has built in baffles, like on the 1LE cars.
I replaced all my four fuel pump items back in gas tank with AC Delco stuff and it's has performed flawlessly. 4 years plus now. Even in "demand" of a 3.4 engine sized environment.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:14 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
my 91 tank does not have baffles. I have seen several arguments as to if the 1le does or doesnt.

Their is a way to do a 4thgen tank swap, which the sending unit has a "cup" at the bottom of it to hold fuel in conors. But does not help with wobbly fuel guage.

I belive the year corvette pump you are looking for is 1989 with TPI?? (dean knows exacts "vsiztoy, afreakingoodtime, agood2.8") I installed a 1991 Camaro 350TPI pump in mine, still plastic guts though. Make sure you get the acdelco one. Yes, more money.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:03 AM
Supreme Member

My source of information came from Hot Rod magazines & Car Craft magazines from when the 1LE was new, along with the reviews of the 1989 & later F Body.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Supreme Member

KED85: acdelco is OEM for alot of GM arent they?

gmpartsdirect.com gives me this part number for a fuel tank for a 92 firebird 10269091.

i got TWO part # for the vette pump 25168719, and 25116163. i called my local dealership and he could not tell me any difference between the two. or if they have metel internals.

so i called GM. i got bounced to a dept or two then to a customer service manager in pontiac division. who for some reason needed the vin on my firebird to look up the information on a corvette fuel pump!?!

anyway, after calling my local dealer and asking them (he got the same guy i talked to, thats kinda funny) he told me he would research it further and get back to me tomorow. i also gave him the fuel tank information and asked if it did indeed have bafles. i figured as long as he was looking stuff up.....
Old 04-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Supreme Member

Corvette gas tanks have two pumps in them, atleast does the C5s. Or really bladders per side pods (for real).
Makes no real difference if the fuel pump is a Vette or the proper F Body application or if internals are plastic or metal. As long as it's quality stuff designed from get go.
I mean, today we have plastic intakes.
Who'd thought, right?
Anyone else here ever lift a Ford 390/428/460 intake?
Or Oldsmobile intake manifold?
45PSI constant is nothing to sneeze at. Very adequate. Especially our engines, the demand & performance offered by stock FP is just right. I mean I'm using it to power a 3.4. I only needed to upgrade to proper 3.4 injectors (found on the 3.4 motor). Never a problem.
The only upgrade still seek is the post-1989 tanks. With baffles. But until I drop my tank again (oh please, I hated that replace fuel pump job!), it stays put!

AC Delco is "GM" stuff, yes.
OEM, on many parts, yes.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:17 PM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Here is the text from one of Dean's posts:

"I opt for the A/C Delco Vette pumps with the metal internals only because they last longer. Use an '89 MY Vette pump."

MY being 'model year.'

As for the C5's running two pumps, only one is an electric high pressure pump. The other pump is a jet pump. With no moving parts it uses a jet of fuel from the high pressure electric pump to move fuel from that tank to the other. There are two separate tanks. For filling there is a large pipe that runs across the tops of the two tanks.

RBob.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:32 AM
Supreme Member

TWO tanks, that is cool. i guess. (the joys of a v6, i only need one)

also, i do not want the better metal pump for pressure, i want durability. my pump is only pushing about 32-35PSI. and i replaced it in early fall. October i think.

so i can just go to autozone or somthing and ask for a fuel pump from an 89 vette and they will have it (if they stock acdelco)?
Old 04-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Supreme Member

Open your phone book and seek out parts dealer selling AC Delco. They usually list it in phone book ad.
I know an AC Delco dealer place down here in SoCal that'll ship it to ya but you should be able to score easy enouggh up there.
GM Dealer will sell it to ya, too.
Other option is to find a good used tank with a good fuel pump. The later ones with baffles.
I used stock V6 set up and replaced all items (sock, isolator, pump, filter). Parts list is necessary for a through job on a car you keep.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:17 AM
Supreme Member

all the junkyards around here drill holes in the tanks to empty them before putting them in the yard. (stupid u pull it, ever heard of a syphon pump?) so all the "used tanks" are "useless".

and when i replaced the pump last time i replaced all that stuff. (i do not know what an isolator is however ) but i will be sure to get a new one when i replace my tank and pump.

also autozone stocks acdelco. so i am covered there.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:52 AM
Supreme Member

GO to GM dealer & ask for a picture printout of the tank and it's internals.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73
wont a tank out of a 4th gen work in our cars? theyre the same and theyre plastic so no problems of rusting out anymore. i believe ive read that they do pop right in there, someone correct me if im wrong.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:40 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by KED85
GO to GM dealer & ask for a picture printout of the tank and it's internals.
or you could just tell me i will probably go, "oh yeah that" since i have replaced must of the stuff in there once allready.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Supreme Member

Do a search for my user name & topic Fuel Pump Replacement & you should see all the AC Delco-GM part numbers. I recall replacing the four itmes as mentioned previously. BUT a big tip is also the GM printout picture with the part numbers page. Buy the parts guy a soda and ask for it. AND IT'S FREE!!!!!!!!!!

I used stock V6 set up and replaced all items (sock, isolator, pump, filter). Parts list is necessary for a through job on a car you keep.