V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Help My Car Is Dead!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Help My Car Is Dead!

UGHHHHHHHHH is about what I think of my car right now....

after replacing all those parts the tune up just to be safe then the fuel pump testing bad replaced that and the car still runs like crap once again. Oh yeah replaced the 02sensor also since I got that code before we replaced the fuel pump.

after replacing the fuel pump and the car is at a idle and not moving when the car gets around the 220 mark on the temp it wants to die and chug out really bad. I adjusted the idle up to where it wanst doing this (solved right?) wrong!

today I got a SES light again and yes again it said code 45 O2sensor rich(humm) afterwards I was driving and it had went off and I pulled up to a stop light car was running fine right around 220 and I went to go cause the light changed and the car went dead just dyed!

I recranked it like 2-3 times and she started back i drove here abount anothe miles just wanting to get home and it happened at a stop sign (here's the great part) it went dead again! i cranked it 3 times and wouldnt start 4th time it started and was idleing very ruff like 300 and went dead I tried to crank it over and nothing happened wouldnt even crank at all (had all the normal dash lights but no crank over at all).

A guy in a truck stopped and it jumped off(weird) so we took it and had the bat and Alt tested which were both in great shape,

The guy at Auto Zone said he would think its either one of two things mainly (1) being the Ignition module going out. (2) or that the starter was getting head soaked--- this being the case it wouldnt make the car go dead right? Oh and like 1.5 miles from Auto Zone the carwent dead again, after it sit for like 30 mints she cranked right back up and I drove her 2-3 miles home while holding the idle at 3500-4000 at the stop lights not wanting to risk it going dead once again.

PLEASE HELP ME before I shoot my poor car I do really love my car and want to get this taken care of before it gets to the point where I totaly truely really do hate the car to no end and want to get rid of itI am just really fed up with this car at this point, its always been somethingwith my car since I got it in Feb 04.

I dont get what we could have overlooked and missed maybe someone else might have had the same issues I wouldnt want to wish it on anyone else but help on what's going on would be awesome!
Old 07-02-2004, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '99 Trans Am, '86 Camaro
Engine: LS1, Scrap
Transmission: T56, T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Stock ZT, 3.42 Open
hmm... so.. would you say this problem coincides with your cooling fan coming on? Because.. weird thing.. when I was helping my buddy with his 3.4 swap, we ended up ditching his cooling fan switch and manually wired it up to run all the time.. and a few days later, his car died. ICM was fried. Disconnected the cooling fan for some reason, replaced the ICM, fired it up.. car ran fine.. test drove.. beautiful... she started getting warm, parked her, hooked up the cooling fan bypass, started her back up, went to drive her to where the owner was working to drop off the car... she died. Pulled out a timing light, timing was all over the place. ICM fried again.

He disconnected the cooling fan later and she ran fine.. reconnected, went to hell.. etc etc. Eventually had to rewire the fan from scratch because something was shorting out and causing chaos in the ignition system.. been running fine ever since the fan was rewired.

Just an idea.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:34 PM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
apdate tested ICM and reinstalled now I got a code 33 humm help please!

Thanks for the ideal is always a thought on that I had the ICM tested the guy did it like 10 times to try to get it hot and everytime it passed

I have got a code 33 after puting her back together (humm) could this be it maybe? I would hope its something thats easly trackable one needs to always hope like that and think for the worse later I guess

Thanks again

Donnie H
Old 07-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
my car had developed a horrible hesitaiton issue, i'd be driving, and the car would simply seem to turn off, then back on, i could dirve further, and it'd do the same thing, off then on, all w/o me turning the key, was a little strange. Finally, it died twice, i got the car back home, but couldn't drive it more than a couple blocks b4 the hesitation came back, then, after i'd put it back in the garage, and let it run the car would just die out. I'd crank, and it'd start, then die. Then i'd need to give it gas to start back up, and it'd emmediately die, eventually it wouldn't even start, just crank.

I got up one morning, replaced the cap/rotor and took the car out, seemed fine, took it out again that night, and it did the same thing, apparnetly not the problem, so, i stopped and started it the next morning (after it was doing the dying thing the night before) the car would start after sitting (atleast overnight, maybe sooner but i never tested that) i had the ICM checked, and it checked good on all tests, but it was only run through 3 times. Finally , i decided to rebuild the distributor, 1st part i bought was an ignition module, put it on the car, problems have been gone for 2-3 weeks. However, since u said ur car wouldn't crank, i wouldn't really be thinking ignition module (although it could be bad also) but there's gotta be a reason your starter isn't turning it over, either it's not getting power, or it's destroying itself under heat, your ICM could be the reason your dying, it's possible that you've got a true beast....two problems at one time, i'd only hope not, as it makes solving the problems all the more difficult.

Good luck.