V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Turbo or SuperCharge??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2018 Camaro SS
Engine: LT1 w/Paxton 1500SL
Originally posted by br()bert

Its cheaper to make power with a v8 then a v6.

Says who
Old 07-15-2004, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 3.1...not hardly stock
Transmission: 700r4....not stock either
Axle/Gears: 3.73
some people happen to like there v6s. why do you even bother coming on the v6 board if you feel that these motors aren't worth anything?? and, not worth the money to put boost on one of these engines?? ha, now that's funny. i'd like to see my car with 8 psi on it...can you say mid 13s, being conservative??? that'd be right with my friend's dakota R/T...supercharged 360 with cam and aftermarket heads and all and running 12 psi on the s/c. i'd sure love to see the look on some guys faces when they hear a v6 camaro then a nice quick spool or just hear a supercharger whistling or blowing off....ahhh, wouldn't that be an interesting reaction.

i'm with techsmurf on this one though. why is everyone wanting to bash the v6s? i like v8s and all but please people, don't come over here saying all kinds of rude or dumb things about the v6s.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Example: How stupid would it be to put a turbo on a Geo Metro? They're made for basic transportation, just like the 6'ers are. They were never meant to be "hot rodded" or GM would have done it themselves (i.e. TTA with a 3.8).
Old 07-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2018 Camaro SS
Engine: LT1 w/Paxton 1500SL
Originally posted by IROC57TPI
Example: How stupid would it be to put a turbo on a Geo Metro? They're made for basic transportation, just like the 6'ers are. They were never meant to be "hot rodded" or GM would have done it themselves (i.e. TTA with a 3.8).
That's not the point...I've seen an 8 second Metro before...I guess it's garbage because it's a Metro right? Oh and BTW it was a V6 too......

If people want to take the time, research and money to turbo or build up their V6 who the **** are you or anyone else to say they can't?
Old 07-15-2004, 07:51 PM
Supreme Member

Car: a car being parted out
Engine: blown up
Transmission: in peices
Originally posted by ScrapMaker
as long as the guy with the 8 hasn't put at least half the money you have into your six for a turbo or whatever... then uh oh... displacement wins...

its interesting and fun and all that to make these 6's hella fast... just not economical... but I still say, it might be much easier to slap a turbo/supercharger on a 6... then chip the computer, than to put an 8 in a v6 car...

if I had enough money to turbo a 6, I would just sell the 6 and buy an 8 car, that way the computer would be easy and everything would be perfect, just build the motor the way you want....

but like the man says, to each his own... but I still say he's a jerk, cuz his "own" is a GTA/(TTA?)! gimme!
Uh I have to step in now.

How much to rebuild and such upgraded this and that on a V8
rebuild kit, a good one. say 300
cam 120
head porting depends. shop does it, say 200
balancing the assembly easily 300 or more.
clutch 200
Trq converter 2-300 easy
That is 1500 without breaking a sweat. Not to mention the dress up parts, the countless nickle and dime stuff.

I will say that I am building a 4 banger.
Mitsu 2.0
and I have around a grand in the engine.
head work, machine work, new forged pistons, all balanced and blueprinted by me. All the clearnaces are equal from bearing set to bearing set.
I will lowball the output at 5 PSI at around 300Hp, realistically it's around 350. Granted this will easily go to 20 PSi +
4 settings. 5 PSi for town. 7 Psi for town 14 for street 20 for race. Oh, did I mention I get into the mid 30's on MPG?
And the 125 shot...

The moral?
Everyone wants something different.
Everyone likes different things.
Every car is different.
Every car owner is different.
My wife thought I was nuts when I bought the camaro. I had plans for it. It was going to go 4.3 turbo. But it was a daily driver that died when I needed it most.
SO I got parts off it to sell, I let it sit for a while to make sure I did not need anything else from it for future projects. Then I got mad...and I got a 5 Lb mini sledge.. a 15 Lb heavy sledge... a nail gun... an aluminum bat and went to town.
The junk yard offered nothing for it even though it did have well over a grand in good parts. So I told them I was not going to take nothing for the car and I would call them back. And I did a day later when the car was utterly destroyed. Holes drilled in rims, no glass, no undamaged body panel. The motor was locked, so I took the trans. All the plastic was broken you get the point.

Did I have fun doing that to the car? Hell yeah. But ultimatley it was done so the car would be sent to the crusher and not put into a field to rust to death. Yeah people COULD have gotten parts off it, but there is no way I am going to get nothing for a car that had LOTS of good body peices that would have made the yard some dough and I get none.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 firebird
Engine: Pos 2.8 pulled and replaced with a 350 tpi motor converted to carb.
Transmission: 700r4, vette servo,shift kit, hayden 15"x8" trans cooler.
Funny that you mention the rebuild kit. I was looking through a mag today and it had a paw ad in it.,

Rebuild kit (standard) 173 ci = $250

rebuild kit (standard) 305 (older) $125

LMFAO

Seriously no bashing needed on either side. But dont expect topics not to be discussed once they are brought up!

Last edited by br()bert; 07-15-2004 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: IROC Z
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
there is a factory turbo firefly
Old 07-15-2004, 10:06 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: V6
Transmission: ATOD
ok ok i started this thread to ask about the difference beteen turbo and super charge, not to start arguements about v6, vs v8, that is compeletely not what i had in mind, i'm gonna have to say that my thread was productive for the FIRST page and then the arguement, however the knowledge i gained from that page is enough it make my decision i think i wanna due the turbo thing, thank you to all that have constructively contributed to my question.

Joe:lala: :lala:
Old 07-15-2004, 11:08 PM
Supreme Member

Good luck with it man. Tech did one not too long ago. It was cheap as hell.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Supreme Member

Funny that you mention the rebuild kit. I was looking through a mag today and it had a paw ad in it.,

Rebuild kit (standard) 173 ci = $250

rebuild kit (standard) 305 (older) $125

LMFAO

Seriously no bashing needed on either side. But dont expect topics not to be discussed once they are brought up!
and what is the rebuild kit with forged? V8
Old 07-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Supreme Member

Doesnt say. Its just one of those small PAW ads. All it says is standard.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Supreme Member

Doesnt say. Its just one of those small PAW ads. All it says is standard.
Well I will say that I paid 390 for my forged slugs. And that's just 4.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:23 AM

Car: 83 Z28
Engine: 400sb
Transmission: 700r4
the paw kits are cast unless you bump it to a forged set but ive seend places that have trw forged pistons for $100 more with the kit
Old 07-16-2004, 04:14 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '99 Trans Am, '86 Camaro
Engine: LS1, Scrap
Transmission: T56, T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Stock ZT, 3.42 Open
Tech did one not too long ago. It was cheap as hell.
In more ways than one, mind you ... to do it right is going to end up costing a bit more than the 100 currently in it... boost? yes. Boost I trust on the highway? ... well.. kinda.. but the 160k+ mile small journal 2.8 and disgruntled T5, no. Back to the wrenches
Originally posted by AM91Camaro_RS
why do you even bother coming on the v6 board if you feel that these motors aren't worth anything??
THIS is exactly my point.. and I'm trying to get through to you V8 guys (specifically IROC57TPI at the moment), but it's just not working. If you have nothing good to say about the V6s and come to this board posting such, you are bashing. You also obviously chose to ignore the sticky at the top of the forum concerning trolling/bashing on this board. If you've got nothing nice to say, do it elsewhere. This board is for the advancement of the V6, not to poke fun at it.
And if what I said was out of line... screw you over-sensitive underdogs.
What you said was out of line. I have to assume since you were replying to my post that I am one of those "over-sensitive underdogs" .... you just said 'screw you' to a moderator, publically.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:22 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '99 Trans Am, '86 Camaro
Engine: LS1, Scrap
Transmission: T56, T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Stock ZT, 3.42 Open
BTW I own and drive a Mustang now, so are you going to ban everyone that sez I need to buy a F-body? Same principle.
Hmm.... there's a giant gaping hole in your logic here.

You own a Mustang and post on an F-body forum. You expect people to not tell you to get an F-body? Now if I moderated a *Mustang* forum, and you owned a Mustang, and someone told you to get an F-body, they're trolling. If you owned an F-body, and were posting here, and someone told you to get a Mustang, they're trolling. If you post on the TPI board telling people to go carb'd, it's trolling. If you have a carburetor and post on the TPI board and someone tells you to get TPI, it's "WTF were you doing posting on the TPI board in the first place?"

I think you've got the entire concept totally bass-ackwards. On any given board, you can tell people to switch to what the board covers. That's common sense. That's the idea of the boards. You don't go to the TPI board and say "switch to carb", you don't go to TBI board and say "switch to TPI/Carb", you don't go to the carb board and say "switch to TPI", you don't go to the power adder board and say "switch to naturally aspirated", you don't go to the Vert board and say "get a hardtop", you don't go to the Car Audio board and say "rip out your stereo to improve your ETs", you don't go to the southwest forum and say "Move to chicago", and you don't come to the V6 board and say "Get a V8".