V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Ok guys after the tune up, I ended up playing with a Eldorado this eve and well.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004 | 06:50 AM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Ok guys after the tune up, I ended up playing with a Eldorado this eve and well.....

Ok here how it all goes.

I did the tune up on my car yesterday,plug'swire's,pcv,fuel filer,cap,rotor,flushed the PS,Brake's,Coolant system.
First off I noticed a lot of power that sure wasnt there before(Autolite plugs removed and AC replced them) My car will now chirp the tires really well on take off, and rev's much better and feels a lot happier!

I went out with a friend this afternoon to another friends house and we hung out and watched movies all night long.

On the trip home I was turning on a street when a Mustang Gt and a Cadillac Eldorado went flying by at a rather fast rate of speed (very easy to say fast rate of speed at 4AM isnt much out in Tucson)

I turned onto the street and the next light up about a mile down the road there sit the caddy at the light.

I pulled up beside it (I for one know that a stock 2.8V6 like mine isnt a fast car by any means more of a fun to drive car)

But I said well for the fun factor he will most likely race me, and yeap as luck would have it we both tore off from the stop light. I have the 700R4(ick) which I shifted manula left 1st at 6k I know its a little high right.

well from take off I pulled about a good half a car ahead of the caddy!around 45-50ish we was side by side I was tired and shifted the gears to far up and when I hit 60 I dropped into Drive and the caddy made a mad swooshing sound as it blew by us (felt like a nike ad).

I know the Caddy for the years in the start of 92 had a 200Hp v8 with 275TQ and weight is 3604, the killer part was this caddy had to be the newer ones as it didnt have the chrome strip the early ones had, was the body colored car grill and all so maybe a 96 at the oldest (but they had the awesome northstar motors!) My friend said it migh had been the newer car since a 6 will useally pull on most stock v's from the light till the v6 runs out of power just when the v8 is getting good (something about they wrap out quicker) My thought are even the 200Hp and 275 should have blew my butt clean away no prob.

The car looked really super nice so I would think it would have been in good shape (but my FBird with 77K looked in Mint shape and 15 days later the trans blew so one never knows) Maybe it had 200,000+ and was just really tired and broken down ( I mean the Gt blew it away from what we seen and it was the older styled Gt 93's but most likely wasnt stock either.

anyways I know its a big fat chance my car should have taken it but it did till 60 and boy did it make me have the thump in my heart for the car again even if I out ran Grandma's grandson who had taken the car out for a joy ride If any one in my family owned one I would joy ride in it a lot!

so my questions are shouldnt have the FWd car thats about the same weight as ours blew me away from take off and all together as well even if it did happen to be the small 200Hp one?

Donnie H.
Old 05-22-2004 | 08:41 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 13 Ram 1500/ 78 Formy
Engine: 5.7 / 7.4
Transmission: 6sp / TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.55 posi / 3.23
you sure it wasnt't a caddilac cinnamon? I mean cimeron?

Need more info on the Cady, but good plug for the TomP brand tune up.

Last edited by Project: 85 2.8 bird; 05-22-2004 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-22-2004 | 12:09 PM

Lord no, it wasnt a cavalier! I meant that cavalier with Caddy glued onto it LMAO! Those was some kind of intresting cars tho(who wants to buy a Cavalier with the 2.8 with extra body side molding and digital dash,leather and pay double the price! )

It was the newer styled Eld, I am sure it couldnt have been the Northstar as I had friends back home in the Oklahoma Fiero club that had pieced them together into the Fiero's and they was a blast. Maybe the Caddy was beyond shot like I said and it took it that long to build up some kick to over take me, well I know it was a ego booster, I wanted to ask him at the next stop light what size his V-6 was but he turned before we got to the next light!

Donnie H.
Old 05-23-2004 | 12:36 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: t-5
hum....?

I wonder? What color was the caddy and what are the main streets that you were at? I think I had kinda raced something like that, it was a red one. I was on Speedway and Wilmot gonig South. It did the same thing....kept cool and next thing you know it I saw him past me....but I mean past me!

At first I was thinking that this guys was playing around with me.....but who knows.
Old 05-27-2004 | 05:18 PM

Hey There!

Sorry so long to get back have been getting ready for vacation here.

I was turning onto Euclid from speedway when they passed by on Euclid in front of me. The caddy I played with was a black one though. Speedway was the same as yours though just a little more back to the west.

So it was pretty close though? I don’t know if he was really trying that hard to beat me or maybe just showing out as well. But whatever made me feel a lot better, I will just keep thinking to myself that he was racing me even if he really wasn’t trying hard.

Donnie H.