V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

A Turbo Supercharger? [Doward & 614street had a baby.]

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
A Turbo Supercharger? [Doward & 614street had a baby.]

I may be on the edge of deletion but wow oh man.

I have always had a hard choice of deciding which one is better. So why not use both?

Why didn't anyone around here think of this???

Its real simple. To compensate for power the power lose of a Supercharger, you stick a Turbo on top of it.

If we could get Doward & 614street to have baby. We could have Turbo Supercharged 2.8's scaring GN 3.8 Turbo's.

I'm sure others will see Trucks and this Turbo Supercharged 2 stroke diesel but man was the digi cam handy today.

That is one sweet piece of work. I want one for my v6.

D & 614, its all up to you.
Attached Thumbnails A Turbo Supercharger? [Doward & 614street had a baby.]-tsc.jpg  
Old 03-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Supreme Member

http://viragotech.com/turbo%20supercharger/
Old 03-13-2004, 03:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '99 Trans Am, '86 Camaro
Engine: LS1, Scrap
Transmission: T56, T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Stock ZT, 3.42 Open
The problem there is the extreme boost levels it will generate... There is no way for me to even entertain the idea that our bottom end could tolerate that kind of power..

but, for the sake of argument, a centerfugial supercharger would be much easier to do this with.. TBI would be hard pressed to challenge a GN due to the issues presented by peak&hold fuel injectors. and their maximum sizing.

Also, a well tuned GN doesn't suffer from turbo lag. They use high stall converters and good rear brakes to hold them on the line while spooling as high as 20 psi, though the average is about 12 psi.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Z/28..39 Plymouth truck in progress
Engine: S/B
Transmission: Manual
For those of you that are too young to remember the SMN of the mid 80's
This is just one of several that were around during that period!

Last edited by flrtin1; 03-13-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
The only Supercharged and Turbocharged engine I remember was the Suzuki Escudo built for the uphill Pikes Peak Race. I have thought of it once, but just a turbo charged install is complicated enough. I can't imagine the the amount of tuning involved in keeping that kind of setup running or blowing itself up.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by TechSmurf
The problem there is the extreme boost levels it will generate... There is no way for me to even entertain the idea that our bottom end could tolerate that kind of power..
of course consider someone would be most likely be using used half worn out Ebay parts. But still interesting.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Chevy Camaro Hardtop
Engine: Turbocharged/Intercooled 3.1
Transmission: World Class T5 5 Speed
Actually, if you really think about it, you have use a turbo to blow compressed air into another turbo - and have some ungodly boost levels. The problem is balancing the two - the 2nd turbo MUST be able to flow the first turbo's compressed air + it's own compression ability!

Think about it... we're all already running 14.7 lbs of positive flow. Believe me, it's something I've looked into - but like TechSmurf said - Holding it together is something else entirely!
Old 03-13-2004, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 3
Engine: inboard
Transmission: underfloor
Actually it's done on diesel engines quite a lot. Detroit Diesel's two strokes (53,71,92 series) were two stroke engines, they had inlet ports in the cylinder and a blower kept the inlet pressurized, at BDC the air was blown in, and at TDC the injector fired the cylinder, the heads were four valve (two in some early 71 series) and all valves were exhaust valves.

A lot of these engines were turbocharged, and in marine versions were sometimes intercooled (the air charge from the turbo went through a sea water cooler, than into the blower inlet) or aftercooled (a jacket water cooler located between the blower and the block)

When you hear of a "6-71 blower" in a car mag it is in fact a modified version of the roots blower used on Detroit Diesels. A 6-71 was simply a 6 cylinder engine with 71 cubic inches displacement per cylinder. BTW, Detriot phased out the two strokes a few years back as current technology and emissions regs rendered them obsolete, and they hadn't been competitive in the over the road truck market since the mid 80's and they adopted 4 stroke, electronic unit injected designs.

Volvo Penta makes some marine diesels with both supercharger and turbo, the supercharger operates until a given amount of turbo boost is spooled up and then a boost referenced switch turns off the belt driven clutch on the blower, sort of like the fake blower on Mad Max's police interceptor .

Eric
Old 03-13-2004, 07:19 PM

Car: 3
Engine: inboard
Transmission: underfloor
And I forgot to add BIG slow speed diesels (2000 hp and up) used in marine app's some times use sequential turbocharging to flatten the torque curve, avoiding turbo lag- for the same reason the Volvo Penta marine engine I mentioned uses the supercharger/turbo combo.

Eric
Old 03-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2018 Camaro SS
Engine: LT1 w/Paxton 1500SL
What Eric said....
Old 03-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

Car: a car being parted out
Engine: blown up
Transmission: in peices
The Super/Turbo combo is a PITA to say the least.

The S/C will provide low end grunt. The Turbo will take over after the S/C PSi is reached.

For the best results I would suggest anyone even considering this to have a one way and a bypass valve installed on the S/C as not to blow the internals to bits as they are not designed to take 12+ PSI...

I would have the S/C run 6, the the turbo whatever. BUT HAVE A BYPASS VALVE or your S/C WILL CRAP OUT. Again the roots type would be worthless. You would have 2 hairdriers under the hood. Centri S/C and a turbo. You can route them both through the same intercooler.
Install a One way on the S/C output, and a Bypass/blowoff valve so when the Turbo gets past the S/C PSI it will simply dump to outside air, thus saving the dreaded backwash and ultimate very quick, very expensive mistake though it would be a nice show.