V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

my 700R went south today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
my 700R went south today!

No sign's or anything untill today. Just went boom boom boom and she was gone pretty much. when driving she keeps going into netural and at say 50mph tach is at 5k. when you drop her down into drive she totaly goes dead and wont move. if you drive the crap out of her she runs fine untill you let off the gas and then you just rev untill you get her up to around 5k and she starts to pull again. if you shift her manual as well she still goes numb in drive as well.

weird but guess thats the way it is.... I am going to have her checked out this week and see what all could be wrong (I mean 76k and the tranny is going poss?) If it cost too much money since I already have double what she is worth in her, sad to say but will be getting rid of her.

The only reason I even looked twice when I found the car as it was a one owner and had 75k and was owned by a older person and didnt seem to fit all the typical Fbody cars I had driven before(totaly trashed it seemed) I guess even look's mileage and all can still hide some major defects in car's.

The age I would guess is a lot also. cant expect her to be totaly trouble free for a 89! Does any of the people here on the board from Tucson know a good place to take her to get her checked where they wont try to rake my tail over the burning hot coals for trans work?

I really love the car but totaly cant see spending another 2,000 on getting the tranny rebuild if thats the case. I read some place where its not a good ideal to have them flushed after 60k is this true, I am not sure when it was done last and if its a maybe type thing wondering if I should try this?

How hard and how trust worthy would it be to get a used 700R and drop into her as well? I dont want to spend 800.00 to have it fail again within a few months is why I was asking. Any places to take her and ideal for curing the ill car would be beyond totaly great!

Thanks Donnie H.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:31 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
For the few hundred more, it would be way safer to have it rebuilt. 700r4 around here used goes for 400'ish. Only comes with 30day warranty.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:07 AM

Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 2.8L V6
If you got the money I'd sink it into a rebuilt one. Aamco is a great place but not without paying a pretty penny. If you take it there they offer a few different warranty plans and there is the expensive lifetime warranty. I think it just depends on how much money you have and where you want to take it. I just know if you take it somewhere that does only transmissions they are the best in knowing what to do.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:30 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
Seen a comercial for AAMCO with the police on the side of the road, funny because PPD doesent use AAMCO here because they were left on the side of the raod too many times from AAMCO rebuilds. They use the same transmission shop I do.

Anyway it sounds like the (REACTION SUN SHELL) took a dive it happens, still means a total rebuild with more costly parts. I dont know anyone in AZ but I'd persoanlly shop around for a rebuilt one ready to go. I can get 700R4's already rebuilt for $750 with a new converter 12m 30k warrenty well worth the money seeing how it is the shop the PPD use.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission went out 2 weeks ago. I spent ~600-700 getting a used one put in after everything (including some tools I needed). Unfortunately however, it doesn't work, non-refundable. It has first gear, but that's about it. It was an older transmission, so I believe when i changed the fluid, I ****ed it up.

I'm having my old one rebuilt this week for $925+tax....what I should have done in the first place.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:37 PM
Banned

you can HAVE mine if you want! before i took the motor and trans out it ran good; i had replaced it 2years ago. i realy do have room for it. it's yours if you pay shiping!
Old 02-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Banned

Car: 88 BMW 535i
Engine: 3.5L M30
Transmission: 4HP22E
luckily if my transmission ever takes a poop i have a local u-pull-it yard where all transmissions are $59... and engines are $99
Old 02-24-2004, 05:26 AM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
I had my car at the shop yesterday and ughhh.... so far the round figures I have got have been the same 900ish as well. I had a Trans mont that was gone as well to speak of. I havent ntoiced anything diff. but then again I only have reverse and 1-2 gear as well(LOL)

I cant see spending 900 to have it back stock tho! I surfed round online and found aftermarket rebuil ones that are like 1400-1600(is that a good deal?)

At some point were going to swap the motor out(shouldnt be too soon with only 75K) well we thought that made the Trany in good shape as well so who knows!

I have found the used trany's as cheap as 150.00 in PHX(115 miles away) but I have major fear's of doing all the work like you said then having the new one doing the same if not worse than mine as well. Even the cheap one's I have found come with a 30 day guar. But I dont think I want to risk it anymore than I have to do.

Man oh man wish you was closer than you are Xceleratemaro. I am sure shipping would be crazy! What swap did you do, and how hard was it? I will have to look into some other ideal's first but think I might be intrested in your trans if your willing to do that! I would be very greatful as I could spend the rest of the trans rebuild money to go ahead and replace my motor with one of the 8's as well.

Thanks for all the help guys

Donnie H.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

Tranny rebuilds should be asked about on the tranny side. The people on the tranny side do know their stuff.
You'll be able to score a local tranny shop recomendation that way, too.
My tranny rebuilds locally cost me $650.
Your call if ya need to beef up tranny.
Some shops know common sense tricks to increase performance that do charge a fair price.
I shipped a tranny cross country.
Hardest part?
Finding the shipping container.
Shipping cost was fair for the free tranny option.
Tranny mounts cost a $7 for rubber ones & $30-ish for the poly tranny mounts.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:29 PM
Banned

im doing a v8 swap and the tranns wont bolt up so out it gose.. the offer is up if you want it! i will make a container to ship it in if you send the money for shiping!
Old 02-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
i had mine rebuilt roughly 3 years ago, just after i had the new 2.8 put in. The rebuild ran me 700 and some change, that included a better boost valve, a corvette servo, and a mild shift kit that the guy said he just "had lying around, so we threw it in too". Good shop, no probs yet, (knocking on wood) actually there was a minor problem, that accord right after the 3 month warranty ran out...but the shop hoping to keep a good reputation, fixed it w/o question which put a big smile on my face, and would keep me going back tothem time and time again (although, i hope i don't have too)....

PS
I found the shop by asking a local classic car dealer who i've done business with on many occasions, he recommended them and told me to tell them who told me about them, and they'd give me a decent and fair price. turns out they did, wouldn't go any other way.