V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

adjusted valves, now missing badly

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adjusted valves, now missing badly

Had a nice morning valve tick on my 92 Bird (3.1) that I attempted to fix today. Got it all back together, and now it runs like crap. Sounds like it missing on one or two cylinders. Adjusted the rockers as per the Haynes manual that I have. Loosened the nuts until there was considerable play in the rocker, then tightened the nuts until up and down play was gone. Then tighten until just a slight resistance was felt on the pushrod, and then an additional 3/4 turn on the nut. I did notice that it seemed like I had to run the nut down quite a bit (perhaps 2 full turns) after the up and down play was removed until I felt resistance on the pushrod. I'm wondering if perhaps I cranked the nut down too far and now I have hanging valves? Other concern is whether the Haynes manual listed the correct procedure? Set cyl 1 at TDC on the compression stroke, adjust the intake valves of cyls 1, 5, 6 and the exhaust of cyls 1, 2, 3. Then rotate crank 360 degrees, so cyl 4 is at TDC on the compression stroke. then adjust intake on cyls 2,3,4 and exhaust on 4, 5, 6. the only other thing I could think of is that the gas line were spewing almost non stop after I disconnected them, and filled the connectors of a couple injectors with gas. I sprayed them down real well with WD-40, perhaps one or more of them aren't making a good connection? I'm lost here, I followed the manual to the letter, and triple checked my work.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
This job is better done with the motor running but you need a spare set of V-covers to hack the tops out of. That or just make sure you dont run to low on oil as you adjust them with it running.

Matt
Old 09-20-2003, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '87 Chev
Engine: 60*V6
Transmission: DY T700
There's a strong chance that you have high milage on the motor correct? If so, that method is not reliable to set valse because the lifters are old and worn. Best to run the motor when setting them like Gumby suggested.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:06 AM

What is the procedure to set them while running I need to do that on my rig, but not sure exactly what is needed.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Originally posted by lykan
What is the procedure to set them while running I need to do that on my rig, but not sure exactly what is needed.
I would say it depends. Most old boys would just play with the two making noise. And adjust them till they shut up and then check perforamce.

I guess you could do like him though. adjust them all to specs off. then adjust any noisy ones once running.

Matt
Old 09-21-2003, 07:56 AM

alright, set them while running. Not a terribly big deal, cept that like the other guy, I'm not sure exactly how to go about it. I've got them at spec now, and it runs like crap. Should I loosen them all up, then just snug them down to the point of zero lash, or just so there is a tiny amount of play in the rocker or what? oh, and I also have an 87 Blazer with a TBI 2.8 motor in the garage. Would that have the same valve covers that I could use as a donor set for a hack job?
Old 09-21-2003, 10:08 AM
Banned

Don't loosen them all. Best to run the motor at idle and one by one loosen each one individually until it clacks, then tighten it 3/4 turn ( Clack noise will disapear)- then move to the next rocker.

Hardest part on the 60*v6 MPFI motors is that oil retainer clips will not fit on the rockers while the motor is running, they hit the intake unit and pop off. (Oil retainer clips control the oil squirt from the pushrods/rockers will the motor is running and the valve covers are off). If you have access to an old set of valve covers, then cut a retangle out of the top of them (or drill a large enough hole in the tops over each individual rocker stud so you can reach a socket wrench down into them while motor is running) remeber, the smaller the hole the better to control oil from squirting out and onto the exhaust manifolds.

Good luck.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:19 AM

so I should leave them overtightened, and run it that way to adjust them? I'm just concerned that I'm going to damage something but running it like this. I was thinking perhaps I should take the nuts back 1 turn to be on the safe side?
Old 09-21-2003, 10:27 AM
Banned

AT idle, nothing is going to come close to the valves hitting the pistons when you are talking only 1 turn overtightened- relax, you'll be fine If you loosen them ALL too much by chance, you will have a rattling monster on your hands and won't be able to set them individually while running.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:31 AM

hehe, yeah, I get a bit paranoid at times :-P I wasn't concerned so much with valves hitting pistons (if that was the case, I would have done that last night when I revved the engine thinking the rough running was the puddle of gas in the intake). I was more concerned with stripping the cam lobes while running it for the 20mins it will take me to do this. thanks for the help, I'll be going outside now and starting to tear down the intake for the 4th time now, lol. thanks