V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

wont stop overheating (looong) HELPPPPPP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wont stop overheating (looong) HELPPPPPP!!

OK heres tha thing.. was at my friends house one day, charging his camaro... after 15 mins mine was boiling and puking antifreeze all over... turned it off, let it cool. drove home (few miles) light came on half way, turned on heater, was ok... got home.. she puked all over.. next day i checked everything, lines, fill, cracks, w.e was nothing... flushed system, ran again, drove few blocks... light came on dim then bright, went home. puked again b***h cant handle her antifreeze =\
ok noticed crack in radiator...bought new radiator, put it in, filled it, took for right, ran nice (heater was working) ...after minute light came on steady, brought it home, didnt get hot enuff to boil over but was trying to..sounded like thermo was gettin stuck.... bought new thermo...took apart damn near half the motor to get this thing in..ok now i got the thing in..filled radiator. went for ride, seemed ok.. drove a few miles later to the same friends house..light came on..put heater on... NO heat wtf...drove home..bye the time i turned it off.. the yard was filled wit smoke (steam) wtf do i do? opened hood this mornin...overflow tank was full 'cold' i dunno what to do.. help me
thanks
Old 09-14-2003, 02:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 13 Ram 1500/ 78 Formy
Engine: 5.7 / 7.4
Transmission: 6sp / TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.55 posi / 3.23
1. IS your coolant fan actually coming on

2. Sounds like when you replaced the radiator you might have an air pocetk stuck in there.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:27 AM

Car: Chevy Cobalt & Camaro
Engine: 2.2 DOHC/3.1
Transmission: Not so slushy slush box/Slush Box
Axle/Gears: Stock 3.23
That happend to me when it was in the begining stages of having a failing water pump. I waited to long to change it and I ended up blowing the engine. You can get thoes for like 30 bucks at a local parts store.

Last edited by 87CamaroMan; 09-15-2003 at 03:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:31 AM
Supreme Member

Do you have EVERY air dam installed?
IF you are missing an air dam, it'll do EXACTLY as you describe.
Been thru exactly what you are describing, until I made a temporary air dam until I install my new Firebird front nose assembly.
Smart guy for using heater to "limp" home.
AND you can test fan motor by putting car into "code mode" at the ALDL (upper row of the ALDL, last two right side sockets, use a papaerclip as the "jumper").
You will hear fan instantly come on. OR not.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:28 AM

Car: 1989 RS
Engine: 2.8L MPFI Bored 30 over (Rebuilt DEC 2004)
Transmission: 5 - SPD With 3.42 open rear end
Alright, when you said on the last few lines that she started to get hot and you turned on the heat and there was none. i believe that one of the heater hoses are collsaping under pressure and that is where your restriction is at. My car was doing the same thing and the only way i found it ( after replacing everything ) was the hose burst i replaced it and it did not overheat since that day. My 2 cents.

-William
Old 09-15-2003, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Freakin' weird. I coulda sworn I wrote a response to this last night.

When you say "it puked all over", do you mean it overflowed the coolant recovery tank? Or do you mean it overheated? (When you say puked I think of the older cars which had no recovery bottle, just a tube out of the radiator neck pointed at the ground)

Try this old hot rodder's trick- remove the 'stat, and drill two holes with a small bit "north and south" thru the outer ring of the thermostat. This allows any air trapped beneath the thermostat to rise up and escape. I've done this for a long time, I guess since '97? and from what I remember, it dropped my coolant temp about 5-10 degrees; an extra bonus.

How's the oil level? Low on oil can cause a motor to get hot quick. Also check for coolant in the oil, saying a head gasket blew. And while you're at it, pull the spark plugs to see if they look like they were steam cleaned.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Okay, I did write a response to this already.

Check your old message, don't repost the same thing over and over again. Your old message is a few lines down, and here's the direct link to it too: https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=201078

I hate writing the same thing twice. Can we lock one of these?
Old 09-21-2003, 03:02 PM

ok guys, heres the scoop...
its been 2 weeks since this car started over heating like this... to make a long story short. all ur advice was helpful, and i already knew how to check the fan without starting the car, its been workin the whole time.. what i meant about ;puking; was the radiator pushing (boiling) all the coolant/water into the overfill tank soooo hard that the tank got full and was tryin to push the cap off.. (good thing my cap has holes to prevent exploding)

ok after buying, new radiator, new rad cap, new thermostat/ w gasket, i ran the car and the coolant was just poooring out of the thermo housing....damnit! cracket thermo housing...replaced that too.... now everyhting is allll good...no overheat actually running better than before with al the new stuff...
now when i said that i turned the heat on the second time and no heat....still have no heater, didnt put the thermo back in the second time...i figure im in florida...who needs heat i never use it..so for now when i put it on heater i just get warm air from under the hood.
but thankfully everything is fixed car runs good, no overheating, thanks for the help...
smuurf
Old 09-21-2003, 10:32 PM
Supreme Member

I STRONGLY SUGGEST reinstalling the thermostat.
Thermo regulates the water STAYING in radiator & that HELPS keep engine cool.
For real.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:24 PM
Supreme Member

the above post is a wifes tale.... your gauges reads from the head...if you have one, you dummy light reads from the head....the cyl head between #1 and #3. if the engine was not getting cooled your would know it....think about it. the gauge or light reads the actual temp of the engine....so if it was not cooling the gauge would read higher right?
Old 09-23-2003, 07:52 PM
Supreme Member

The old wives tale is remove the thermo for better cooling.
NOPE
Guy just did that to his truck.
He lost his engine due to poor cooling of the engine.
Think about it....
IF ANY AUTO MANUFACTURE COULD GET AWAY WITH REMOVING A THERMOSTAT FROM ENGINE ASSEMBLY & SAVE MONEY & TIME, wouldn't they?
Thermostats are there for a reason & that is to ASSIST in the cooling system to do the job THROUGHLY!
Removing is valid for racing purposes, only, not living on the street.
Just like for racing, people used to seek out VW Scirroco/Rabbitt radiators.
Efficent for street usage
NOPE
LIGHT WEIGHT FOR RACING
YEP