V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Here's what happens whern you don't get title in your name ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 07:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 13 Ram 1500/ 78 Formy
Engine: 5.7 / 7.4
Transmission: 6sp / TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.55 posi / 3.23
Here's what happens when you don't get title in your name ASAP!

OK, I first got the car back in August 01. Didn’t bother to get the title in my name because it wasn’t anywhere near road worthy (cracked block, worn shocks/struts, brakes, hood/hatch struts you know, all the regular maint stuff, ALL of it). Well, over the course of the next few years, a 3.4 was swapped in, interior was/is being revamped. Even have some tires coming in for the 15” rims. Well, Bob (no, not his real name) started to sign his name on the title where my name goes. He noticed this, drew a single line through it, initialed it, and went on with the transaction. Fast-forward 2 yrs later, apparently, that ONE discrepancy was a big no-no. Caint have. Title peeps say I need a new title done with w/his signature on it. Here’s the catch……..he PCS’d (moved) down to San Angelo TX, and was shot/killed. SO I went to the OH title people & they say I need a letter from the executor stating that they have no interest in the car. Well, due to my work, I am easily able to find out there isn’t any, just next of kin, in Texas. I really don’t want to deal with that, since that would entail a crossover episode of NYPD Blue & Jerry Springer. Yes, that f’d up. I call up Michigan title people. They wont touch it……………….(cliffhanger. More in a few days, working something)

Last edited by Project: 85 2.8 bird; 07-01-2003 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:58 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Chevy Camaro Hardtop
Engine: Turbocharged/Intercooled 3.1
Transmission: World Class T5 5 Speed
So what's the plan? Can you get it titled out of state, then bring it over to your state?
Old 07-01-2003, 08:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 08 Sierra, 08 Silverado, 91 z28
Engine: 5.3, 4.3, 5.7
Transmission: autos
thats messed up, that happened on the 89 camaro i had, dmv had no problem with it
Old 07-01-2003, 08:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
went thru same thing trying to register my spitfire...... luckly, i found the guy and he was helpful
Old 07-01-2003, 09:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 CAMARO 1968 FIREBIRD
Engine: CAMARO 3.1L FIREBIRD 455
Transmission: CAMARO 700R4 FIREBIRD TH-400
Isnt there a liquid he can use that will take the ink off that spot with out harming the title slip?
Old 07-01-2003, 09:21 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.7 V8 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5-Speed Manual
If i were in your shoes I would've taken another transfer paper, gone home, filled it out & forged his signature...

We had to do that with my last car because it was sooo long between the time I got the car & actually registered/insured it. Worked like a charm.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 RS Camaro (Jet Black)
Engine: 95 383 CI (6.3) LT1
Transmission: 95 T-56
Yea, as much as I hate to break the law, I would have just forged it as well. Not like he is going to complain right?
Old 07-01-2003, 10:44 PM
Supreme Member

Dealing w/ something similar on my car right now too.

The guy I bought it from signed where I was supposed to, then crossed it out.

They've gotten real touchy about that stuff.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:46 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by pasky
Yea, as much as I hate to break the law, I would have just forged it as well. Not like he is going to complain right?
A) Then there wouldn't be this enlightening topic to read about,

&

B) I already learned my lesson back in 92 w/the 4 medium pizzas & a 6-pak of Pepsi for $3.19
Old 07-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 TransAm GTA
Engine: One sweet modified 355 TPI.
Transmission: The kind that shifts....
Just forge it. They don't check and the guy is dead now anyways. No disrespect meant for the dead comment, but you bought the car legally, he screwed up on the title and now you've got to get a dead man to sign it, or jump through more legal hoops than a dog at a dog show.

Just forge it.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:17 PM
Supreme Member

Was anything entered into the DMV records about your comments or was this a discussion at a window?
IF nothing entered, go to another DMV & forge everything ya need, now that ya know the score.
You are NOT stealing a car, the person has passed and deal with this the easiest way IN YOUR FAVOR.
The deceased guy is probably smiling from the big sky knowing you took part of the past life & gave it a new outlook.
I'll bet this shouldn't be so difficult to fix.
Kinda like when I got my Wife's Girlfriend a driver license.
I told DMV she was my Fiance moving from Japan.
Not a problem at all! Incidentally, she's returning from Japan this month to get the license renewed.
Why this..
IT's so easier for her to get a car rental this way with a USA driver license. I ain't her chauffer, even tho she is a sweet Babe!
Old 07-02-2003, 03:33 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2012 Nissan Leaf
Engine: 80-kW AC synchronous electric motor
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: n/a
Originally posted by Project: 85 2.8 bird

B) I already learned my lesson back in 92 w/the 4 medium pizzas & a 6-pak of Pepsi for $3.19
i gotta hear this story, if you feel its to off topic PM me
Old 07-02-2003, 11:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
You are kind of lucky. If you look around you will find a sign in the Ohio title office that says if you do not transfer a title within something like 6 month you are fined. And the fine goes up higher and higher the longer you wait.

Matt
Old 07-02-2003, 11:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
You can call the state highway patrol and ask about getting a new title and numbers. DO not say anything about that bad title or anything. pretend you built it out of the junk yard. THey will then run the numbers and make sure it is not stolen, pass a simple safety inspection and they issue you new numbers.

do not, I reprate no not say anyting about that lost title. you want new numbers and a title. any mention of your title problems will quary the deal. Just pretend you built it out of the junk yard.

If the car does not come up as stolen they will just issue you new numbers.

Matt
Old 07-02-2003, 12:09 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Gumby
You can call the state highway patrol and ask about getting a new title and numbers. DO not say anything about that bad title or anything. pretend you built it out of the junk yard. THey will then run the numbers and make sure it is not stolen, pass a simple safety inspection and they issue you new numbers.

do not, I reprate no not say anyting about that lost title. you want new numbers and a title. any mention of your title problems will quary the deal. Just pretend you built it out of the junk yard.

Matt
Stand By. Might be resolved next week.

Last edited by Project: 85 2.8 bird; 07-02-2003 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:10 PM

Car: '05 Pontiac G6
Engine: 3.5
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Slow lol.
This poses a question I have and really no place to post it, lol. There is a shop up the street from me and the owner died I heard. Anyway, there is a 3rd gen Firebird in the lot along with a 3/4 ton Chevy and some other lil junker. I want to find out how to get the F-body but no phone # anywhere except the number for the shop and it's been closed for about a year now. Sign out front says building for sale, but how ya supposed to sell it if you don't have a number to call lol.

So, any ideas on how to get this car? Get the VIN and try to get the numbers run to find the owner? If it's not stolen get a salvage title or I think we have a title for abandond vehicles? Any other ideas? If the guy that died wasn't such a dick, I might have gotten to know him better, besides just delivering parts to him a few years ago. PM me with ideas.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Supreme Member

That's easy
One can easily locate a phone number for a realtors office anytime of the day.
A personal visit to realtor may bring the best results.
YET the items on the property may only go to purchaser of said property.
DO NOT APPROCH the car, you MAY be "tagged" as a suspicious individual & a vist may happen at your door step.
Go to the third party & inquire IF interested in selling/purchasing a vehicle on the property.
The realtor will cooperate YET maybe not BUT it's the SAFEST way to find out about the car you seek to purchase.
Again don't nosey your way & peer into windows.
Who knows what evil lurks in the neighbors house watching the property....

Dumb BUT gotta ASK
IF ya delivered stuff to the business, shouldn't/wouldn't the person who sold stuff for the delivery know what's possibly going on?

Sign out front says building for sale, but how ya supposed to sell it if you don't have a number to call lol.

This reminds me of my one visit to Texas.
I saw lots of signs for property for sale (smallest land size was 1,100 Acres!) this way.
When ya wanna buy, there are ways to connect if so inclined to inquire to purchase
Old 07-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8L of Raw POWER!!!
Transmission: Stick Shift
Axle/Gears: 3.42's
I say kick them all right in the shins...this doesn't help much, but I hate the DMV too, so it lets me vent a little.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Gumby

They did this with my dad's 55 chevy. The car was actually originally bought by my grandpa new in 55, ran for 20 years and then put in the garage(where it sat and deteriorated) for another 25 years. My dad got it after my grandpa died, but we couldn't find the title or any other paperwork that ID'ed the car. Highway patrol just came out, made sure that the car wasn't stolen and that the "transaction" was legit and gave him a "new" title. All the numbers on the car matched, so they didn't even botherputting it down as salvaged, they just put it back in the computer and said "have a nice day."
Old 07-02-2003, 05:29 PM

Car: '05 Pontiac G6
Engine: 3.5
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Slow lol.
Originally posted by KED85
That's easy
One can easily locate a phone number for a realtors office anytime of the day.

Dumb BUT gotta ASK
IF ya delivered stuff to the business, shouldn't/wouldn't the person who sold stuff for the delivery know what's possibly going on?
1. There is no realtor sign out front, land is only about 1/2 an acre so I'm not missing it. There is only one of those portable signs you change the alpha/numeric digits that has the "building for sale" on it with no number. So, calling a realtor would be too much of a chore for an abandoned car if I were to call all of them in town lol. A friend of mine said the shop phone line was routed to the owners house and his wife might answer, but I guess that got changed or something becouse I got a disconnected message.

2. When I delivered there, that was in 95-96 and the place I worked for has since gone out of business, lol. It was a wholesale under car parts house that I worked for.

As far as being tagged as suspicious, that happens at my own house in this neighborhood because of a nosey guy across the street lol. The lot is on a busy main road and in a not all that great part of town I live in.

Basicly most common ways to get in touch with someone are difficult because of pieces missing in this little puzzle: phone numbers, contact info, realtor/FSBO signs, etc. So, this is where it's going to be interesting working this deal out. About the last thing left to do is look in county property tax records and see if there is an address or phone number listed.

Last edited by HanSoloWS6; 07-02-2003 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Supreme Member

Did they advertise?
A newspaper ad from past?
Yeah Property tax place is last chance if the car is worth the effort.
It's been said before...
GOOD 3RD GEN RIDES ARE BECOMING HARDER TO FIND THESE DAYS!

NOW ABOUT THE DMV IN CA!

GO TO SANTA MONINCA DMV THURS EVENING AFTER 5 PM!
NO LINES
VERY SHORT TURNAROUND TIME.
My favorite time, no appointments & I'm out in about 30+ minutes.
PLUS
I have a friend there.
I wrote his superior telling him so & he was promoted because of my recommendation.
He really helped me alot several times.
ALL THE PEOPLE AT THE Santa Monica DMV are really GREAT!!! Surpise, there are fans of the CA DMV!
I'd rather deal with them than the CA Court system dealing with a ticket!
Old 07-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Supreme Member

yeah, when I have to hit the DMV, I go to the Winnetka office right at 8 in the morning...no one there and it takes about 15-20 minutes.

The CA court system for taking care of tickets is a peice of trash too...but I finally solved that problem after about 5 of them. I stopped doing things wrong. i slowed down on the streets and freeways, kept my car regisered and insured and havn't had a problem since. Funny how that works.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:23 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 CAMARO 1968 FIREBIRD
Engine: CAMARO 3.1L FIREBIRD 455
Transmission: CAMARO 700R4 FIREBIRD TH-400
I hate the CA DMV I got my regristration and it said i had to get my car smogged at a test only site well i did that last year for my tags. So i called and they said there mistake and to send in the money i figured id go down and jsut take care of it. Well i go down with my smog slip everything was taken care of WRONG 2 days later i get a letter saying they cant regrister my car becasue i have to have it smogged. So i call again and the person was all well IF WE FELL LIKE IT WE CAN MAKE YOU SMOG YOUR CAR EVERY YEAR!!! then she said its not there fault and to call someone else i do they say its the dmv's fault finaly i went back to the dmv with a line out the door walked in said i need to talk to a supervisor now. They jsut gave me my tags. Now only if i had my camaro to put them on
Old 07-03-2003, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

walked in said i need to talk to a supervisor now. They jsut gave me my tags.

That's about the only way to get a problem solved.

I still truck from my Big Valley house to Santa Monica DMV. Old habits & high success rate forces me.

Tuesday I visited the Hollywood DMV (in the old Crocker Bank building, now DMV) down street from Hollywood & Vine.
Nice line out the door!
Took me all of three seconds to drop my form into the drop off box.
I hope I get my 1" piece of paper in mail as I never visited that DMV before.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:35 PM
Supreme Member

Got the 30 Day tags today. Title pending out of state inspection, which will happen after rest of exhaust is put on.

:hail::hail:ALL HAIL PAM:hail::hail:
:hail::hail:ALL HAIL PAM:hail::hail:
:hail:ALL HAIL PAM:hail:

She was a victom of common sense. Looked at the title & said, yup, looks like he sold you the car all right.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:53 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: Rebuilt and modified 350
Transmission: rebuilt T-5
:rockon: common sense!
Old 07-20-2003, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member

OK, due to recent events, I'm still gonna see about getting that out of state inspection, hopefully before the current temp plates expire.

the clock ticks.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by Project: 85 2.8 bird
OK, due to recent events, I'm still gonna see about getting that out of state inspection, hopefully before the current temp plates expire.

the clock ticks.
try this one...

bought a (or two) from a guy.
He had the title for one. Did not have the title for another.
The other had been sold to him, he never got the title in his name.
He also never even filled out the title to get it in his name.
He then sold the car to another guy that never picked it up.
A year later, I come in and am interested in the car. Unfourtunately, although they were sister cars 86/89 the latter(the one with no title was the one in better shape)
I give the cash for the car(s), take what I have to DMV and they say, "so ok, where is the title for the 89 car?"
I tell them I don't have it.
I call the Sec. Of State over to run the VIN. Comes back clean, no leins, no stolen reports.
I take them over to the guy I bought the car(s) from, they talk to him, send me a letter ok'ing the title.

They also ask me if I would like to press charges against the guy for "False sale of a motor vehicle"?
Seems alot of states do not care for people selling cars, that are not clear in their name first.
I don't do the charges, but tell the guy I could have, he picks up half the title fee, everyone is happy.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:57 PM
Supreme Member

the recent events:
The story

The pics

temp tags expire August 8.