V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

coil???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coil???

Help. I want to buy a new coil from someone like MSD or something but I don't know what kind I need. I have an 85 camaro with MPFI if it helps. Do I need a HEI coil or just a regular one. What kind. If you could give me part numbers from summit or jegs or something that would really help too.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:31 PM

I think that I have heard of some people talking about the MSD Blaster Coil. If that is the one then would I need single connector, or dual connector? Single is part #MSD-8231 and dual is part #MSD-8226, both at summit.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Supreme Member

YOU ARE SO LUCKY TO BE IN NORTHER CALIFORNIA. I wait a long time before I get the pleasure to cruise 17 to Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, to PCH for going north to Oregon.
There isn't a single road up north I don't enjoy.
I even enjoy being stuck in a traffic jam on the Golden State Bridge. GREAT VIEW!
Just as long as I can eventually find parking for BLONDIES PIZZA at end of Mason Powell Trolley turnaround in San Francisco.
I was just up there last August, so missed NoCal.
You have Kragens/Autozones/Pep Boys? I'm sure ya do.
Phone & price shop for an accel coil. I paid $36 + tax.
I remote mount mine away from original spot to keep cooler.
I LOVE ACCEL PRODUCTS & HAVE FOR OVER 20 years of no problems.
If I may, I'll email ya pic of my engine bay so ya can see how I did my example.
Wish I culd post that pic, oh well.
ATLEAST I know how beautiful a drive you get so often and so close to your home. LUCKY!!!
Must have been beautiful today in NoCal. It was clear, sunny, atleast 73* in SoCal.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:06 PM

Could you please send me a picture of how you did that. Did you just unplug everything from your old coil and move it to your new one. Did you have to cut any wires and splice new ones in. Please let me know because I know that those accel ones don't bolt in to the factory place, so I want to know what it takes to mount it somewhere else. Also, it is great living up here in northern california. Today was great outside.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
You can get the drop-in fit coils from Accel or MSD; they fit into the factory spot, right above the hot exhaust. I've remote-mounted my Blaster SS coil by my air conditioning. If you do a search for "MSD Blaster wire", and make sure to click on "v6 forum", you should find my wiring instructions.

You can also buy for $15 a connector from MSD... it's called the "plug-in harness connector for GM dual connector coils". Find it at http://www.msdignition.com , then put "MSD-" in front of the part #, and search for the price at summitracing.com. It'll let you plug in a two wire coil without destroying your wiring harness.

I used it; and I left my stock coil in it's factory location as a "backup" in case anything ever goes wrong.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:01 PM
Supreme Member

Have ya received the pic I sent yet?
Everything was in there.
I can't believe the MSD unit makes ya buy extra wires...
I completly cut off my old Firebird coil.
The remote coil I used is the repalcement coil for the Firebird.
The Accel coil I have on my Blazer is a stand alone coil, same thing as the Firebird, different external package (for underhood usage).
I used Tom's suggestion on my original coil for my Blazer. I did leave that under the hood, just incase. Was glad, too.
One day, Blazer original coil did come in handy.
The original coil on my Firebird died, I used the 100,000 already had miles on it Accel coil FROM BLAZER to restart the Firebird.
I drove for many miles using that Blazer Accel coil on the Firebird, until I added the Accel to the Firebird you see in the pic.
I mowed the lawn and did yard work down south.
Will be lovely weather for next 5 days (mid 70's)
Have some Blondies Pizza for me, please.
It's an easy decision to drive 7 1/2 hours for Pizza,just hard to get in the time, now.
IF I COULD leave now Blondies at 3 AM MUST TASTE EVEN BETTER THEN EATING AT SUNSET!
Phone local parts houses & price shop, see what they offer. I paid $36 for the (direct fit) Accel coil from Kragen, all parts included, I just made my own "L" bracket for mounting coil.
Old 03-08-2003, 02:30 PM

Hey KED thanks for all of the help and that picture. I think that I have got it all figured out now. Also, thanks to everyone else who helped me with my dilema.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by KED85
I can't believe the MSD unit makes ya buy extra wires...
Like I said, the direct plug-in MSD coil doesn't! If you're wiring up a two-terminal Accel coil, you'd have to cut wires, too- OR, buy an adapter harness.

If he uses a direct "dual connector GM coil replacement", he won't have to cut wires.

If he uses a two-terminal (+ and -) remote coil, he'll have to cut wires and splice them together. To avoid cutting and splicing wires, you buy a harness.

I think you got the coils confused
Old 03-09-2003, 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

A foremer buddy did install a direct fit MSD unit.
I didn't believe he had to do any xtra wires purchase.
On my remote mount coil (either version) from ACCEL, no need for splicing any wires at all.
Just insert the proper ends into supplied wire harness.
What my decision for ACCEL purchase came down to was cost.
MSD was like so much more expensive in local parts house shopping.
I scored my ACCEL direct fit coil from Kragen for $36 and had to await several days no big deal.
MSD was like $48 I recall, as that MSD coil was shipped, by error, first time.
When I heard price, I handed MSD back & awaited my first & really only HiPo ignition parts ACCEL choice as has been for over 20+ years.

Glad the pic helped explain my way of attachment.
I use stainless steel wire to hold the ignition coil wire away from the coil, less chaffing of outter cover.
The remote mount idea has held up very well for over two years of real road usage & no coil failure or wetness.
We know how it can rain in California-biblical proportions!
Have some Blonides Pizza for me, I had to settle for store bought last night-NO COMPARISON & I miss the fun of turning the Mason-Powell trolley car! Always fun stuff at that spot, which I've known of since first visit in 1985!
Must be beautiful up North today. Nice day in SoCal getting into the high 70's!
For ya people east of us, SPRING IS SOON!
Old 03-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '87 Chev
Engine: 60*V6
Transmission: DY T700
Hypertech sells a direct bolt-in coil that puts out 53,000volts for $59.95 through Summit Racing. Stock unit is 38,000volts.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=12042