V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

91 camaro rs fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 camaro
Engine: TBI 350
Transmission: 5 spd
91 camaro rs fuel pump

is there a easy way to get to the fuel pump in this car besides droping the exhaust and the fuel tank? thanks.
Old 02-08-2003, 05:22 PM

No real easy way, sorry. Someone once told me to cut a big hole in the trunk to get to it. Though, didnt feel like cutting a hole nor did I want to cut that near to the tank. Anyway, no easy way. It really isnt that bad. I didnt it on the floor with my friend. Dropped the rear end, exhaust, and tank. It took us about 2 hours total. Of course we had air tools as well. Good Luck!

~Josh~
Old 02-08-2003, 06:27 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
I installed mine in garage, took me about 6 hours. Reason mine too so long is that I "thought" I had dropped the tank far enough, and kept fussing with tank. Learned I had to un-hook sway bar also. Then tank slid right out. It is really best to do with 2 people. I don't think I could have done it buy myself.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:29 PM

dont need to do it now, car is starting again =P
Old 02-08-2003, 11:40 PM

In the event of it acting up again, this is what I had to do to change my daughter's '92 Firebird fuel pump.

First thing is to make sure you have plenty of time set aside to do this.

Get the rear of your car up as high as you can safely.

Remove both rear tires.

Drop your exhaust from the cat back, you can move it out of the way later when you drop the rearend.

Remove your panhard bar and the trackbar.

In my case I removed the rear shocks completely to just make sure I had enough room.

Make sure you have the rearend supported before you remove the shocks.

Then slowly let the rearend down.

Undo the gas filler flange from the body.

Get up in there and disconnect the lines to the tank.

When actually removing the tank, take your time, the higher the car is the easier for removal.

I found by letting the passenger side down first I could clear the filler neck and not bend it.

More people have bent the neck trying to remove the tank.

You know they didn't bend the filler neck to install it, so you don't have to to get it out!

I hope this helps.

It's been a few years since I have done this so I might be forgetting a thing or two.

Maybe someone else can add a few suggestions.

I was able to do the whole job in a day, and I am very slow and thorough.

Good luck.

Old 02-10-2003, 04:25 PM

If it is acting up on you, and you have the time and resources to change it now I would suggest that. Mine startec acting up on me one Sunday morning on my way to church. After about 20 minutes it started to work again. Had the hardest time getting to church though. The car wanted to die on me all the way there. Later that day it worked fine. Less then a month later it finally died on me on my way to my EMT final. Thankfully, I was able to take it another day, but my point is if you can fix it now do it. Dont let it leave you stranded. Also, before you go through the hassle of changing it rule out everything else first!

~Josh~
Old 02-10-2003, 10:49 PM

well it turns out it wasnt the fuel pump, i pulled the ecm fuse, put it back in and all of a sudden it started. weird.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
You sure it's not the fuel pump? Buy a pressure gauge (only $40) or bring the car to a shop and throw the guy $10 to check your fuel pressure. The warning signs of a bad pump aren't very noticable... fuel pressure slowly drops until there's not enough to power the car. I've changed mine twice already, and man, it's not fun. Both times involved dropping the tank down the "correct" way. Unfortuantely, my track-bar-brace-to-body bracket is bent, and I have to fight with the track bar brace to get it down, so it takes me much longer. That problem should get fixed when I weld that right half of a Firebird onto my car.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:10 AM

pretty sure its not the fuel pump, it would just sit and crank, wouldnt try to turn over, pulled the ecm fuse let it sit 20 seconds, put it back in and it cranked in a heart beat. pretty weird, the car did sit for ~ 2 years, so it might be going. but its been running perfectly since.