V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 04:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intake

Hi, I have some newbie-ish questions on intake... I've researched some via the search tool, and it seems like the main intake mod here, seems to be a custom cold air intake, by taking some large pvc, routing it from the plenum to a conical air filter attached to the end of the pvc, which is usually suspended somewhere on passenger's side of the engine bay, hopefully down where it can pickup cold air coming through the grill.

I did find a bit of information on a ram air intake. This involves using the dual snorkel intake setup from a v8 TPI setup, and mounting a special ram air ventilation setup to the bottom of the snorkel piece (I believe this is officially called the air cleaner, yes?), allowing air to flow through the grill, into the ram air vents, and then routed into the plenum.

Are there any advantages to one vs. the other? I would think the ram air would allow a better airflow into the plenum, but I'm still a novice when it comes to mechanical aspects.

My second question, if I were to go with the ram air setup, what would I have to do to set this up? Do I just need to get hold of an air cleaner from a v8 setup, and the connecting hoses, and mount them on my MPFI plenum, or are there other modifications I have to make? There's been some mention of the sensors in each of these posts, but it was never clear to me if they were necessary adjustments, or just for additional hp. Either way, could someone explain it to me?

Thanks,
Mathius
Old 10-25-2002, 07:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Intake

Originally posted by Mathius
Hi, I have some newbie-ish questions on intake... I've researched some via the search tool, and it seems like the main intake mod here, seems to be a custom cold air intake, by taking some large pvc, routing it from the plenum to a conical air filter attached to the end of the pvc, which is usually suspended somewhere on passenger's side of the engine bay, hopefully down where it can pickup cold air coming through the grill.

I did find a bit of information on a ram air intake. This involves using the dual snorkel intake setup from a v8 TPI setup, and mounting a special ram air ventilation setup to the bottom of the snorkel piece (I believe this is officially called the air cleaner, yes?), allowing air to flow through the grill, into the ram air vents, and then routed into the plenum.

Are there any advantages to one vs. the other? I would think the ram air would allow a better airflow into the plenum, but I'm still a novice when it comes to mechanical aspects.

My second question, if I were to go with the ram air setup, what would I have to do to set this up? Do I just need to get hold of an air cleaner from a v8 setup, and the connecting hoses, and mount them on my MPFI plenum, or are there other modifications I have to make? There's been some mention of the sensors in each of these posts, but it was never clear to me if they were necessary adjustments, or just for additional hp. Either way, could someone explain it to me?

Thanks,
Mathius
Well, you left out one important bit... what year of car do you have? I'm assuming by your message that you either have an 85-89 Firebird, OR a 90-92 Camaro/Firebird. If you have a Firebird, the V8 TPI (and 85-89 Camaro V6 MPFI) dual-snorkel intake won't fit. The Firebird hood slopes too closely to the radiator support to accomodate the dual snorkel, which leaves 85-89 Firebird guys (like me) very pissed off.

Yes, the bottom of the snorkel, around the hood latch, is where the air filters go, so you could call this the air intake box.

Think of ram air as basically a cold air intake, but with a scoop that faces forward to collect air. Cold air intakes are usually located inside fenders, so they always suck cold air.

Ram air intakes are usually designed with the scoop under the bumper. This gives 2 problems. 1, you can suck up water and dirt and small animals with the scoop, so your air filter better be in good shape. 2, since it's close to the road, it can be pulling in heated air, from the heat coming off the road on a 90 degree day. The extra HP from ram air also can't be seen on a dyno, since the car isn't moving forward, there's no ram air effect.

But, when a car isn't moving, technically, that ram air turns into a cold air intake- as long as it's not sucking hot air from off the road.

The MAJOR deal with intakes on the 85-89 Firebird, and the 90-92 Camaro/Firebird, is that they're twisty. The 85-89 2.8 MFPI Camaro (and 85-89 TPI Camaro v8's) intake, the dual snorkel, allows for a "straight shot" of air into the throttle body. 85-89 2.8 Firebird and 90-92 3.1 Camaro/Firebird intakes curve around from the passenger side. 'Fact the 85-89 Firebird intake is much more restrictive (uses a hollow rectangular box as part of the ducting!!) than the 90-92 setup.

So basically, by designing either cold air or ram air so that the intake air path minimalizes bends is the best improvement you can make.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

Sorry, I have a 92 Camaro. What are the disadvantages to a cold air intake setup?

Would it be even more beneficial in the cold air intake design to, instead of bending the pipe near one fender, and adding the conical filter, to use a t-shaped joint, and run two filters near each fender, or is this just overkill and not really beneficial?

I originally was leaning towards the Ram Air setup, but what you say about water coming in makes sense. I'm not so sure about heat from the pavement, but I suppose on really hot days that would be an issue. Add these factors to the fact that Hawks is the only place I've seen with a prefabricated Ram Air box, and they want $150 for it, means I'd either have to fork out big bucks, or try to fab something myself.

Mathius
Old 10-25-2002, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, I was wondering about a Ram Air setup too, since my car seems to die out on top, I need any extra help I can get. My K@ N didn't help that much, our intakes are pretty restricted. Those bends are killing me though, does anybody have a Ram Air setup? Did anybody feel a perfomance gain from one?
Old 10-26-2002, 12:13 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
Originally posted by Mathius
Sorry, I have a 92 Camaro. What are the disadvantages to a cold air intake setup?

Would it be even more beneficial in the cold air intake design to, instead of bending the pipe near one fender, and adding the conical filter, to use a t-shaped joint, and run two filters near each fender, or is this just overkill and not really beneficial?

I originally was leaning towards the Ram Air setup, but what you say about water coming in makes sense. I'm not so sure about heat from the pavement, but I suppose on really hot days that would be an issue. Add these factors to the fact that Hawks is the only place I've seen with a prefabricated Ram Air box, and they want $150 for it, means I'd either have to fork out big bucks, or try to fab something myself.

Mathius
My original plan was a dual intake as you described (still have the piping for it), but decided against it at the time, A.) because I didn't think of the fact that I'd have to relocate my battery (duh ) and B.) I was afraid of the dual intake air colliding in the middle at the T and providing a negative result. I don't know it would be harmful or beneficial. As someone in an earlier post mentioned when I asked about this, if it were more of a true "Y" shape rather than an "T" shape, you wouldn't have to worry about it too much.

Here's my intake.
Old 10-26-2002, 12:15 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
Oh, and don't forget, if you have an MAF, don't forget to accomodate it. It's rather important. But you said you have a 92 right? I believe 91-92s were all speed density (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) I like it better that way.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Fyrelance, I like how you painted the tubing the color of the car; looks sweet! (And yeah all 90-92 3.1's were speed density)
Old 10-26-2002, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey i was wondering about the intake...Does it help that much?? and if so how much hp does it give?...and that red intake looks great keep up the good work...is there any way you may get a like hondas cold intake and make it work or somthing..one thats metal?? Surly you can find a import one thats in the right shape..get back with me on this i would like to try it.

AdAm Throop