V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

My V6 recording

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 00 T/A Firehawk
Engine: 346ci LS1
Transmission: MN6
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LSD
My V6 recording

Well tonight as I finished cleaning my car I had my PDA out and I thought about trying to record with it and see how the quality was. Well it didn't come out all too bad, and I might re-do it sometime so here is what I got.

I have a 2.5" cat-back Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler. Soon I will have headers and a new cat... :lala:

This is the idle heard from the rear of the car.

This is the car revving from outside the driver side door
Old 10-08-2002, 07:41 PM
Supreme Member

that sounds pretty good. mine sounds similar to that but a little louder. i think mine might be a little louder because i dont have a cat. mine also crakles when you let off at a high rpm, i love that. my exhaust is in my signature.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:19 PM

Car: 1986 W69 Special Edition
Engine: 2.8/ECM/Int/Exh
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Sounds good! Nice smooth idle.

Here's mine in the garage, with the tape recorder on the passenger seat...

2.8L to 3" pipe off the stock manifolds, no cat, all the way back to my Dynomax muffler.

CLICK HERE FOR AUDIO CLIP

Last edited by BackInBlackGP; 10-08-2002 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:45 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Chevy Camaro Hardtop
Engine: Turbocharged/Intercooled 3.1
Transmission: World Class T5 5 Speed
That 'bird sounds AWESOME!
Old 10-08-2002, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

backinblackgp nice sound. you got any mods done to that car? not much of a rev in that sound clip but sounds good.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:38 PM

Just a custom 3" SST intake and a Hypertec chip. Other than that, the car is almost in perfect condition, and original. I had to replace the original exhaust when it fatigued in 1999. It's only on it's 3rd set of tires. They dryrot before I can use the tread up on them. I've had the same set of batteries in the overhead flashlight for 6 years!!! I wash the car once a year when I de-winterize it. I dust it occasionally during the summer. Pics are in my sig. bar...

When I recorded my audio, I was just playing with the gas and clutch, pushing the car against the wheel stops in my garage. Maybe next week, I'll flog it a bit, and record that...
Old 10-08-2002, 10:15 PM

Car: 1983 Firebird S/E
Originally posted by BackInBlackGP
Just a custom 3" SST intake and a Hypertec chip. Other than that, the car is almost in perfect condition, and original. I had to replace the original exhaust when it fatigued in 1999. It's only on it's 3rd set of tires. They dryrot before I can use the tread up on them. I've had the same set of batteries in the overhead flashlight for 6 years!!! I wash the car once a year when I de-winterize it. I dust it occasionally during the summer. Pics are in my sig. bar...

When I recorded my audio, I was just playing with the gas and clutch, pushing the car against the wheel stops in my garage. Maybe next week, I'll flog it a bit, and record that...
Man those 86 S/E's are pretty rare!! That is the first nice one I have seen in a long time!
Old 10-08-2002, 11:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh.. I need to get you files of my exhaust... 92RSmuscle can attest, it's pretty damn mean...
Old 10-09-2002, 12:00 AM
Banned

Mine sounds alot like a deep but pipey roadrace bike, when I say pipey I don't mean it spits, its very smooth and throaty but has a wanting to rev sound. It sounds like the motor would rap into the powerband if I hit it just like a bike does. Again, I only stated it sounds like it would ( Reality is humbling isn't it )

Everyone that here's in thinks I've got something under the hood, My repliy always is,"Its just the wifes grocery getter, You'd be surprised how slow it is."

I have a Gibson highflow converter with a 3" I-pipe to a Flowmaster 80-dual outs, and no hokey chrome tips. I have never seen a frikin race car with chrome tips, Thats the sh*t the Gooks started.(thats "rice" for all you young-ins)

Last edited by AFrikanGoodTime; 10-09-2002 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:21 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
actually, Gook is a derogitory term directed towards the people of asian decent. Rice is a term for the cars and style of racing that came out of that part of the world. i hate all the fascists of american society who think they are better then everyone else. gook is a racist term and i don't think that it sould be tolerated on these boards
Old 10-09-2002, 09:59 AM
Banned

Originally posted by mw66nova
actually, Gook is a derogitory term directed towards the people of asian decent. Rice is a term for the cars and style of racing that came out of that part of the world. i hate all the fascists of american society who think they are better then everyone else. gook is a racist term and i don't think that it sould be tolerated on these boards
Rice is not racists? give me a break.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:13 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Didn't ever say that rice was racist, i said that the term gook is racist. i think i will begin to use the word nig*er now since there seems to be no rule about racism on the boards.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by 83firebirdS/E
Man those 86 S/E's are pretty rare!! That is the first nice one I have seen in a long time!
I read somewhere that Pontiac only built around 1,200 1986 SE's with my upgraded interior package and the 2.8. It is definately the nicest 3rd gen around here, hands down! Unfortunately, it is more show than go... But ALL bark!!!
Old 10-09-2002, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Rice isn't racist.. if I call someone's car rice, it's because it's gaudy with stupid stickers and fake performance mods. Started because most of those cars were (and most still are) foreign models. Guess you could call our american cars "corn", then. Summit ran a feature in their catalog once about a corn-burner... a dragster running on corn fuel, using corn oil as a lube. Wacky stuff. Just like there's foreign cars that are truly fast and not "rice", there are american cars that are rice, too.

Now if I called an asian a "rice-eater", that might be racist..
Old 10-09-2002, 06:55 PM

Car: 88 Firebird, 86 Firebird
Just to get a little more off topic here..what are the differences between the SEs and the 'regular' Firebirds?
Don't think I've ever seen one on the island.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 13 Ram 1500/ 78 Formy
Engine: 5.7 / 7.4
Transmission: 6sp / TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.55 posi / 3.23
it is more show than go... But ALL bark!!!
isn't that the primary definition of rice?
Old 10-09-2002, 10:15 PM
Banned

Soory to offend anyone with the Gook comment but let me give everyone a history lesson. Here is So. Cal where most trends start, years back (were talking 15, maybe 20 years)everybody here started refering to the toyotas etc.. with the ground effects and wings as "Gook Mobiles"dubbing that term after the people that drive them. It all mainly started in the Vietamese neighborhoods(Westminister,Hacienda Heights, and Moterey Park to name the biggest areas). To appease politically correct times that were starting around the late 80's everyone started refering to them as "rice" which was just borrowed from the "ricerockets". Both have the same level of meaning, it just quote unquote sounds worse to say gook because that had original racist meaning towards the Vietamese. Don't kid yourselfs and preach to me that "rice" is any better than "gook", IN FACT "RICE" is slang for "Gook". You are no better or worse than me when you say it.

Thank you. Just a lesson for the younger and hollier crowd.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:22 PM
Banned

Maybe now that you all have heard where rice originally comes from, you should all think twice about using that term because I promise you 1st hand knowledge from asian friends, they don't apreaciate the term "rice" either. Just food for thought.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:33 PM

i dont get how chrome tips are rice? whats wrong with chrome tips, its a good way to accent exhaust if tastefully done.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:42 PM

and no lol, "rice" is not slang for "gook" that could be one of the silliest things ive heard lately. I always thought gook was a deragotory term used by american soldiers for viatnamese people. Which came about during the viatnam war. Most people in viatnam are to poor to afford automibles let alone do anything to them. So to call something a gook mobile or something similar is like one of the most ignorant things ive ever heard. So really its just us stupid americans making dumb names for things we dont understand. So afrikangoodtime, dude just like chill out with the needless namecalling, thats not cool especially on these boards.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jwright
i dont get how chrome tips are rice? whats wrong with chrome tips, its a good way to accent exhaust if tastefully done.
Its just personal opinion. Sometime when tastefully done I'll admit that they look clean. My taste in modifying or customizing a car is always favored heavily towards the full blown racecar look. I dont go for alot of chrome goodies, I perfer the aluminum race look.

A phrase I live by is, " If everyone has the same opinion then everyone would own the same exact thing". Your opinion is not wrong, its just not my choice, and vica versa.

I just noticed that I have to be very careful because I'm "on probation" from an incident that happened late night. I guess you can't have A Frikin Good Time while on probation. Boy is that an oxymoron or what?
Old 10-09-2002, 11:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: LS1 - 346 ci
Transmission: 4L60E
Here's a lil sound file of my car, mic set about 1-2 ft from the back of the car. Started, shifted into Reverse, and then back to Park, revved to about 4000 RPM.

http://www.geocities.com/fire089/flow8028.mp3

Site maybe down once inawhile, if so, come back in the next hour.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jwright
and no lol, "rice" is not slang for "gook" that could be one of the silliest things ive heard lately. I always thought gook was a deragotory term used by american soldiers for viatnamese people. Which came about during the viatnam war. Most people in viatnam are to poor to afford automibles let alone do anything to them. So to call something a gook mobile or something similar is like one of the most ignorant things ive ever heard. So really its just us stupid americans making dumb names for things we dont understand. So afrikangoodtime, dude just like chill out with the needless namecalling, thats not cool especially on these boards.
Your naiveness shows your youth. I am not debating an opinion, I am stating a fact. I lived through those years probably when you were in diapers. Also Who's name calling? The younger Generation says "rice" to avoid getting their but kicked growing up. It doesn't change facts just because you are uninformed how the term derived. You think you feel so inoccent pointing a racist slang towards a car.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:42 AM

In my little world, "RICE" stands for:

Ridiculously
Inappropriate
Cosmetic
Enhancement

IE: 4 foot high wings on the back of FWD cars, fart cannon exhaust, 20" chrome rims on silly Hondas, bad taste in color choice, etc...

...at least that's how I define 'rice'. Not a racial descrimination at all..
Old 10-10-2002, 07:05 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

why is it that just because you were born in 1966 and i was born in 1984 that you all of a sudden know everything about everything. if you recall correctly, big names like edlebrock and holley and Lokar and people like that make tons and tons of chrome dressup for the small and big block v8s that if i recall correctly came out in 1955 and 1964 respectively. and if you lived through the seventies (especially out in so. cali) then you saw all of this as well as "purple hornies" which were a glass pack muffler that bolted directly on the end of the header flange. what about those goofy chain steering wheels? "ricers" are just using stuff that we did back 30 years ago. look at some of the colors that the mopars came with (red, purple, neon green, yellow) not to mention the wing on the road runner. give these people a break and DO NOT let our youthful age fool you into thinking that we are just ingnorant little brats running around in third gens thinking that we are the coolest thing since sliced bread. i am pretty sure that some of us "youngens" as you call us have just as much, if not more, car info in our heads as you.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:06 AM

Afrikangoodtime, my naiveness shows my youth? So wait because im young that doesnt mean i know anything about anything? Well im 18 years old Im ASE certified and i work at a chevrolet dealership, now i may not be as old as you but i still do know a thing or two about a thing or two. So man im sorry my naiveness has disturbed you in some way that you feel you have to bully me or defend yourself. I didnt mean any harm by my commments whatsover so if you could maybe just like chill out, and stop worrying about us youngins.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
Originally posted by 89V6FBIRD
Here's a lil sound file of my car, mic set about 1-2 ft from the back of the car. Started, shifted into Reverse, and then back to Park, revved to about 4000 RPM.

http://www.geocities.com/fire089/flow8028.mp3

Site maybe down once inawhile, if so, come back in the next hour.
LOL, I'm trying to listen to the voice in the background.

What was that at the end? "You're gonna break my notebook, you stupid biatch?" :sillylol:

Nice sounding exhaust, that's one nice sounding 2.8