V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

blank slate!!!! ideas welcome =)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blank slate!!!! ideas welcome =)

greetings! this is my very first post anywhere, i admit it, i'm a forum virgin

had my v6 4 about a year now, she's basically stock still, b/c i am the def. of broke. just thought i'd throw her out there though and collect ideas 4 the future tho.

any linx 2 exhausts (looking for gutteral/cammy sound, not necessarily performance, just loud) would be nice, seeing as i have no idea what i'm doing , and i prefer dual tips/tail, if that makes a difference

hoods, rims, blackouts, maybe a steering wheel or diff. seats, i dunno. i'm missing the center caps for 2 or 3 of my wheels, dont remember which, and my center console keeps coming off even though i've screwed it in like 12 times.

PLEASE knock yourselves out, as u can see i'm new to this game. pix will be up sometime soon. she's a bright red 92, trans am ground effex (that are cracked from a friggin speed bump, know of any glue that might work on that? )
Old 09-09-2002, 03:50 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
For the ground effects, if they are rubber, 3m makes some rubber bumper repair stuff, works great, smells like ***, sandable, paintable

Muffler, you want loud, go with flowmaster, and most 3rd gens I have seen are duals

center console, I like putting clear silcone on my screws that keep backing out, and that way, IF you need them out, a little pressure and the "bond" breaks, but gen vibration wont do it.

wheels rims, everyone has opinon, up to you
black outs, watch ebay
seats, alot of people go the the 4th gen seats
hoods are like rims, everyone has opinion

Hope I helped you out, welcome to the board you "vigin" :P Stay around, I belive everyone is welcome!!! :lala:
Old 09-09-2002, 03:51 PM
TGO Supporter

oops, I ment "virgin" and a
Old 09-10-2002, 01:11 AM

Car: See pic above
Engine: Too Small
Transmission: Broken
:hail: :hail: FLOWMASTER 80 SERIES:hail: :hail:
I enjoy driving my car 1000x's more since I got the flowmaster installed. My brother has flowmaster on his 89, and it's way louder on mine. Although his looks like a catback, so maybe it's the American Thunder series. I think they make one for the 305s and if I remember correctly they have the same exhaust setup as us, at least from the cat back.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 CAMARO 1968 FIREBIRD
Engine: CAMARO 3.1L FIREBIRD 455
Transmission: CAMARO 700R4 FIREBIRD TH-400
I love my 80 series but it causes problmes with the local pigs it makes me stand out and they tend to pull over the car that is different from all the others.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:56 AM
Supreme Member

http://www.geocities.com/overlift
Old 09-10-2002, 10:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by Dale
For the ground effects, if they are rubber, 3m makes some rubber bumper repair stuff, works great, smells like ***, sandable, paintable
LOL... the stuff that works the best always smells the worst! (gear oil!)

If you can't find that glue by 3M, I use the Bondo Urethane Repair Kit. It's a two-part like the pros use (is that what the 3M is?), sort of like epoxy, mix equal parts together. The repair area needs to be "roughed up" first, just like Bondo... some 100 grit paper would work fine. If you have a fine-line crack, you'd want to make a "bevel" in the repair area so the crack becomes a "valley", for the repair material to fill in. Then you apply the stuff just like Bondo. I used a wooden dowel to apply it to my bumper.

If you can't find any of that, or if the skirt is fiberglass, I'd suggest sanding the back of the ground effects with 100, and using a fiberglass mat, with a can of fiberglass. (A can of regular plastic filler (Bondo) might work, too?) Sand the back, spread some fiberglass over the area, press the mat into position, and spread more fiberglass over the mat. It should make for a strong repair. Then you'd just have to take care of the front of the bumper.

The Dynomax Super Turbo cat-back (all pipes from the end of the catalytic convertor back to the end of the car) is a direct bolt-in, part #17493. If you order from summitracing.com (800-230-3030), the part # is WLK-17493, since WaLKer makes Dynomax. You could install this yourself in your driveway. Search for "cat-back install" by "TomP" in the "V6 Forum" and you should find my installation tips. I think summit wants $150 for it? You can do a price lookup on their website.

For the most performance (and experience) for cheap, do the major tuneup to the car. See https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=130161 for everything covered in a MAJOR tuneup. (Much more than what a garage does as a tuneup.) You can do this for about $100, and most of that is dependant on how expensive the spark plug wires that you choose are. Accel 8mm's seem to be the best value. http://www.mrgasket.com for an online Accel catalog, unless someone has the part # handy? To look the part # up at Summit, put "ACC-" in front of the part #, ex, ACC-8133 (not a plug wire set, but an example of a real part #- the distributor cap/rotor kit).
Old 09-10-2002, 01:42 PM
TGO Supporter

tomp, your right on the bumper stuff, mix two parts equal, and slap it in the belveled crack. Then sand it down. Primer, Paint, your done.

The muffler, your WAY wrong on the price, its more like 263 or so, and dynomax made mine wrong, so its still not on properly, and leaks, and is loud.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:31 PM

hey dudez, thanx !
TomP, dale, that glue is prolly gonna be a big help, i'll try that!

joezero/FAST RS, i'm prolly gonna go w/ the flows, = usually cheaper from what i've been told, and louder is better in my book. is that 80 series you were talking about a bolt-on or am i gonna have to do anything to it? (in my limited experience w/ exhaust installs, there's usually quite a lot of cursing and sometimes welding involved! & i'll try and keep away from the "pigs" as you so blithely put it, but they're not usually much to worry about where i'm at.

ideas=
KEEPUM KUMMIN ALLS
Old 09-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1983, 1986
Engine: 2.8 2bbl, 2.8 MPFI
Transmission: 200C 3 speed, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.42
Well seeing that your from MD, stop over to the Mid Atlantic board -- we're having a BBQ/ ThirdGen get together on the 21st at Northpoint State Park. That way I won't be the only one there with a V6!
Old 09-10-2002, 02:52 PM
TGO Supporter

As always, glad to help someone out. Knowledge not spread is a waste in my book. Let us know how things go. :rockon:
Old 09-10-2002, 03:13 PM
Supreme Member

Dale, you scared me for a sec- that system's not $263! What cat-back did you buy?? The Super Turbo catback, or the stainless steel Ultra-Flo catback? hop to http://www.summitracing.com and put WLK-17493 in for a price check... or, wait... okay, here's the part description, click here: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=8339

Sometimes welding involved? We haven't mentioned welding yet; unless you mean Dale having to swap the flange over. Technically, he could've sent it back to get a replacement. And there you go, no welding involved. I've bolted up 3 systems, no problems. 2 were Dynomax, 1 was a stock cat-back.

But if you go for a flowmaster (not flowS, plural, we only have ONE muffler, so it's a flowmaster, singular- I HATE when people say "yo i've got flows, yo" so don't mind me), you'll have to pry the old muffler off the old pipes, and hope the new muffler fits onto the old pipes without crushing them. And assuming all that goes well, you've STILL got old restrictive factory piping. Either Dynomax or Flowmaster, I'd still recommend a full cat-back system.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:21 PM
TGO Supporter

Well, after waiting 2 weeks, And having everything else already installed, then noticing that. I didn't feel like ripping it back out. It is to be a no weld install, just some wd40, metric wrenches, sockets, jacks, jackstands, some good cuss words, and if you run into the prob me and chc had, a drill, easyouts, and a tap
Old 09-11-2002, 09:39 AM

well hey, i thank you guys again for all the input, and i stand corrected flowmasterS (tomP!) =) that's what i get 4 typing shorthand. we'll see what kinda $$$ i can come up with in the next few.

ohh, & MDv6man, that sounds cool, i'll see what i can do! what time is everyone thinking of heading out there?
Old 09-11-2002, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

I think the event is going to start around noon. We are all meeting at lot B in the park

go here for more info

We are asking all participants to bring a little something (food wise) so no one is hit with a hefty food bill.

BTW -- any other v-6ers are welcome to attend -- even if the car is not a showpiece (lord knows mine is a piece of ...). Just trying to get more V-6 representation!
Old 09-11-2002, 10:20 AM
Supreme Member

The 21st, eh? North Point State Park? This is in maryland? That'd be fun... is there a message with more details in it? Like, where the hell is this place? Wait, did a search, is this the joint? http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclan...orthpoint.html mapsonus.com tells me 3 hours... doesn't look like a three hour tour, especially since it took about 6 hours to get all the way to virginia beach. Thank goodness I wouldn't have to through Delaware, aka "trafficJamLand"!

Too bad my car looks like total ***, though.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:41 AM
Supreme Member

Tom -- I'm not sure if the link you provided is the right one as Mapquest has been giving us a different park. Here's another link that gives more info about the event.

more info

If you do want to attend, I would be leaving around 10AM. I live in Elkton, MD (right near the U of Delaware). We could meet up and head down together. My wife's going as are a bunch of the other guys' significant others so feel free to get the fiance used to participating in "her husband's interests" .

I know how Delaware traffic is as I have lived here since 98. It's worse during the summer months because of beach traffic. The rest of the year.... isn't toooooooo bad .

If you're interested, e-mail or PM me.

Anyone else?
Old 09-11-2002, 01:37 PM
Supreme Member

Haha, actually, I'm liking Saturday because she'll be at work! I'll see what she thinks, though.. might be fun. I checked out that other page, seems that it's on North Point road, so hopefully it's the same park. How far is your town from the park? mapsonus.com just gave me only 2 hours to Elkton- shaving an hour off!

When the fiance and I went through Delaware to get back to NJ from VA, it took us 4 frickin' hours of stop and go traffic. We were so mad! Plus every damn sign points to Dover- it drives me nuts. You pass Dover, and sure enough, a mile later, there's another exit for Dover!!
Old 09-11-2002, 01:44 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah that's the same park -- I compared directions. It will probably be an hour drive for me as I'm on the MD/De state line (and the NE corner of MD to be exact).

Luckily, the time in DE would be minimal if you come over the DE Memorial bridge and merge onto I-95. You would be off 95 in about 15 minutes and right at the border.

That North-South commute in DE does suck
Old 09-12-2002, 03:13 PM

i'll be coming from GaithersburgMD, and maybe i'll have a buddy or 2 in tow (prolly 4th gen people though\=p, but would anyone be kind enough (who knows the general area) to email me their cell phone # or something, just in case i get lost ? i've got an uncanny sense of direction ("for a girl"), but i just want to be safe, considering this is the 1st time i've ever been to this place. i promise i won't go sell your # to a telemarketing agency!!!! (although i COULD use the money..............j/k)
Old 09-12-2002, 03:19 PM

ooo i 4got, i'll be good 4 bringing paper towels, plastic forx & spoons, if people don't want to get BBQ finger prints all over their shifters/steering wheels when we're all done out there.

i gotta check my cash flow here, but i've got a bag o chicken parts in my freezer i could bring, and assorted condiments also. soda, dogz & buns should be doable too, once friday roll$ around again.

just outta curiosity = what R gas prices like out there compared w/ crappy wallet-sukkin Mont. Co.? we're at about $1.50/Plus, i think premium's usually $1.60 @ the most
Old 09-12-2002, 04:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1
Originally posted by MDv6man
I think the event is going to start around noon. We are all meeting at lot B in the park

opps, we are actually meeting in lot -"A"-, however I would think you would figure that as you pass lot A on the way to B, and there is only the two lots. A lot full of thirdgens might tip you off, too.