V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

just got a parts car

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got a parts car

I just bought a parts car last night. Its a wrecked 87 IROC-Z28 with a blown engine. It has a notchback on it. Its getting towed here today so i can take the front end off to fix my car. I was just wondering what parts can i take off of this car and put on mine?? Also, is the radiator support welded on or just bolted?? Mine got bent in the accident so it needs to be fixed. Thanks.

Chris
Old 06-20-2002, 09:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1983, 1986
Engine: 2.8 2bbl, 2.8 MPFI
Transmission: 200C 3 speed, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.42
The radiator support is spot welded to the vehicle. You can drill thos out and re spot weld the new support in. As terms of how much you can take off? Literally as much time and imagination you have. It all depends on how long you can live with the carcass sittiing in the driveway. I'd be interested in that notchback hatch though
Old 06-20-2002, 09:48 AM

Car: 87 Iroc Z28
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: T56
thats pretty much the same car that I have other than the notchback. could you do me a favor? if the car is a non A/C car look under the dash and see if it has these 2 vent handles ??? Ive been looking for them everywere and so far no luck.

Thanks
Kevin
Old 06-20-2002, 01:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
That notchback hatch is sweet! Bolt it on!! And yeah, anything you want can be taken off. Interior, exterior, etc. And depending on what blew on the motor, you might want to strip it down, and sell the parts (heads, distributor, alternator, etc) on eBay to make a few bux back.

Does that car have a disc brake rear axle? It bolts in! All you need is the prop valve. You -could- take the master cylinder, too. 82-88 f-bodies with 4-wheel-disc (J65 option) had a special master cylinder. The bore was 1" wide instead of 24mm wide. This 1" bore provided more pedal "feedback" to the driver- as in, the brakes weren't as easy to push down... it's something a performance driver is interested in, to "feel" the car braking.

Anyway, a lot of people complained that their bodies were too weak to push the brakes down. So GM released a TSB (tech serv bulletin) which said it was perfectly okay to put a J50 (disk/drum) master cylinder onto a J65 car (disk/disk aka 4-wheel-disc) if the owner complained of excessive pedal effort.

What's this mean? You don't NEED the J65 m/c. It'd be cool to keep, though, but it'll be a btch to bleed. I swapped the J65 m/c on when I went to rear discs. But you will need at LEAST the prop valve. And here's a message to keep in mind: https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...threadid=78725 Not bad for $35.

Oh, and hey, it's an IROC-Z?? Look at the steering box. Look for 2600525 and a "Z" cast into the box- that means it's the quick ratio box! Grab it!! I have one in my basement but haven't put it on yet. Grab the front (36mm!) & rear sway bars. Grab the wonderbar. ( http://www.sethirdgen.org/wbar.htm )

And a word of advice? If the body's in good shape, keep the fenders, bumpers, tallights, blinkers. Put 'em above the garage, or under your bed, or somewhere. If the doors are in better shape, take 'em and bolt 'em on. If you don't want the doors, take the window glass out. You never know when you'll need these kind of parts- and worse to worse, sell 'em here.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I can't wait until this project is finished. I noticed the difference in sway bars between the cars. Mine looks like a tooth pick compared to the other one. I havent checked the steering box yet. i'll do that tomorrow. I have to bring my car to the shop this weekend to have the radiator support straightened since im not much of a welder. The fender support, or whatever the fender bolts onto is bent too, so that needs to be fixed. Anyone have any tricks to save time or help me put the fenders and bumper on?? I took some pictures of both cars, if anyone wants to see. and im not going to use the hatch, so anyone interested, email me. i can send them pictures if they want. thanks.

Chris
Old 06-20-2002, 09:11 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1978 El Camino SS
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5 & 3.73's
Originally posted by TomP
Oh, and hey, it's an IROC-Z?? Look at the steering box. Look for 2600525 and a "Z" cast into the box- that means it's the quick ratio box! Grab it!! I have one in my basement but haven't put it on yet. Grab the front (36mm!) & rear sway bars. Grab the wonderbar. ( http://www.sethirdgen.org/wbar.htm )
Hey Tom, about that steering box number. The base model '87 V6 Camaro in my garage has those numbers on the box. Do I have an oddball here, I though they only put that box on V8 models?
Old 06-20-2002, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by CHVYPWR

Hey Tom, about that steering box number. The base model '87 V6 Camaro in my garage has those numbers on the box. Do I have an oddball here, I though they only put that box on V8 models?
Same here, '87 RS with 2600525 Z stock.

I've heard but don't know if true, that the '87 RS V6's beeing the first year, had alot of parts the same as the Iroc's but with the smaller engine. '88 and on they didn't. Does any one know of this?
Old 06-20-2002, 10:01 PM
Supreme Member

You can sneeze & strip your front end in a heartbeat.
IT'S easy
First remove the HOOD at the FENDER.
Unbolt hinges from the fender. 10mm
Next, take out every 10mm bolt ya see.
Next, down below is I think a 13mm on rocker panel.
Remove that. At door hinge area.
Next at bumper, IN INNER FENDER, you feel about 4 bolts per side (verticle) retaining fender to bumper to car.
Remove those, fender off!
NEXT, bumper, just keep attacking it.
Next you're naked front end.
THEN take it to the body shop.
You can strip front end with a
10mm wrench & socket & ratchet
13mm Ditto.
That's all ya need.
It should take about 2 hours tops! to strip.
Oh inner fenders, plastic.
Need nibblers or cutters to grab the plastic holders & a phillips screwdriver to take out the few screws.
Everything swap over.
AS TOM SAID, strip the car, catalog it.
3rd gen stuff gonna be hard to find sooner than ya think!
You will make a KILLING!
Then haul away shell for scrap & metal tonage money
Old 06-21-2002, 01:02 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 94 Camaro
Engine: 3.4L
Transmission: 4l60e
Parts i would swap if I were you:

Everything to fix what was broken in accident
Front & Rear Sway Bars
Steering Box
Wonderbar (use the IROC radiator to help with clearance)
RIMS RIMS RIMS RIMS!!!!!!!!!
Hood
Anthting from the interior that you need or is better!

hmmmm i gotta think on that, there is so much more that i can't think of at the moment, let me sleep on that and i'll get back to ya, i falling a sleep as i type...
Old 06-21-2002, 09:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Looks like you guys lucked out on the steering box!
Old 06-21-2002, 12:06 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1978 El Camino SS
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5 & 3.73's
Originally posted by TomP
Looks like you guys lucked out on the steering box!
Looks like I have another upgrade for my El Camino then The quick ratio box is a great mod for the Elkys, Malibus, Monte's ect.
Old 06-21-2002, 04:16 PM
Supreme Member

As long as you modify the internal bump stops for that vehicle, you win.