V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

2.8 V6 Carb

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.8 V6 Carb

well..my engine has stopped work..so now I dunno what to do..most likely have it rebuilt..I dont know that much about camaros this being my first one..My car is the 173ci v6 2.8 engine from a 83 camaro Sport Coupe. Ilove the car..needs lots of work..but I love it..its a camaro what can I say..
anyhow..from what I have been told its most likely a lifter that went out...the engine only has 128000KM on it. I bought the car and I just wanted to show it off didnt even know it needs a huge tune up,....oil was all dirty and everything..anyhow..I was wondering since I am gonna have the engine rebuilt is there any other bigger engine I could go without having to change trannies or wasting serious cash..
and I also wanted to know what kinda tranny is it that I have..I believe its a 3 speed auto that came with that year and model
Old 05-09-2002, 11:01 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro
Engine: V6
Transmission: 700 R4
Alot of the guys are putting the 3.4 in there cars. Do a search for the articles there is alot of information on the boards about the swap. As far as the transmission..if you don't have overdrive than you have the 200R4 if you have overdrive than it is the 700R4.
Old 05-10-2002, 02:25 AM

Car: 82 Camaro Z28
Engine: LU5 - Crossfire 305
Transmission: 200c - 3 Speed Automatic
hmmm.. a lifter on a 83 v6 camaro.. that sounds really familiar.. (in case u dont know EXACT same thing happened to me w/ my 83).. when i stripped mine down to a short block, the heads were VERY badly burned, in my case anyways, the block wasnt worth rebuilding.. depending if u can find one, 3.4 swap would be the best thing u could do.. if u cant find a 3.4, u have 2 options: rebuild or buy used/crate engine..
before u rebuild ur 2.8, inspect it first or have someone that knows blocks check it..
ari (www.engine-parts.com) makes a 2.8-3.1 stroker kit about $500 (crank, rods, pistons, rings & bearings) bad thing about this, u also need everything thats in the engine kit thats not w/ this
northern auto parts (www.northernautoparts) has engine kits for about $300 (Chevy 2.8-X,1 80-84) (gaskets, bearings, frost plugs, oil pump, pistons, rings, timing chain, cam & lifters) bad thing about this kit, IMO, it has a sucky OEM cam

there are MANY 2.8s in boneyards some 3.1 and 3.4s.. u can use a 2.8 from camaro, firebird (those are the best to get if ur going this route for a 2.8 (82-84 2bbl 85-89 mpfi)/3.1 (90-92)/3.4 (93-95)), s-10 or s-10 blazer (basically a non computer controlled ver of the 2.8 u have).. im sure there were other RWD vehicles w/ then but cant think of them off hand.. u do need a RWD engine!!

crate engines run about $2k.. Gm Hiperformance 3.4 (if u cant find a 3.4 in a boneyard and really want one)

-mike (loomdog)
Old 05-11-2002, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

Check out my thread about your vehicle.
I'm swapping a 3.4 into a carb S-10 truck, now.
I did a 3.4 into my 1985 Firebird, already.
Coached about 25 or so to do the same.
SEARCH FOR THE TECH THREAD and read the other 2.8->3.4 Long Block Carb Swap Boogie.
It'll get ya started.
Save yor money this swap is worth it
SINCE ALOT IS WORN ON YOUR VEHICLE, you do have some catching up ($$) to do.
This is NOT inexpensive.
BUT it is awise solution.
Bandaid?
That's your call.
You need major surgery, truly.
OR
Just dump the car & start again.
What's your $$$$
What's your skill level?
Who will do the work?
Who has the tools?
Old 05-11-2002, 12:11 PM

Let me tell you from someone who has put another 2.8 in a camaro for 1800 new, not worth the money.
For 1800, you can get a V-8 car in decent shape. I wish I did that before I put the new 6 in. For the money, Id say even if you found the dreaded LG4, its a step up. I had an LG4 in my trans am when I got it, and it was much more fun to drive than the 2.8, and I could still get 16.5 mpg with it. Of course I put a 350 in from an old truck, and it gets the same mileage. My honest opinion, start over with a different car.
Old 05-11-2002, 12:18 PM

Well I got about 2 grand CND to spend..I could get a 191ci V6 3.1L rebuilt and installed for about 2 grand....that is what I am looking into now..I could get a without install it would be 1100.. but I dont know the first thing about installing an engine..especially one that isnt exactly the same as the one I took out...I know a couple of things aobut cars..I work at a oil changing place so you learn alot when you talk to costumers and employees..
I can get a 5spd 88 Z28 for about a 1000..but I dont know what to really do with this camaro..its been sitting in my garage for couple of months now..

should I get the z28 or a 3.1L installed?
Old 05-12-2002, 02:24 AM

do u have any attachment to the 83?? unless u really want to keep the car, ur better off getting the z.. there are ALOT of little things that u need for the carb swap as im finding out:
fuel pump (85 up 2.8 have the molding for it, but not he holes/threads to hook it up (should have a pic of this soon)),
exhaust manifolds are different (again i should have a pic of this soon),
v-belt and serpitine belt,
mechanical fan and electric fac (this really isnt that big of a problem if u keep the v-belt),
valve covers (linkage for the carb was welded to mine (that most likely was done by someone and not the factory),
flyweel (82-84 externally balanced and 85+ internally balanced)..

it seems like im missing some stuff, but thats the main stuff that will affect any swap that ull do.. the stock components will swap over to the new engine w/ the exception of the fuel pump tho.. im mostly enjoying my engine swap (totally if money wasnt a factor)..

-mike (loomdog)
Old 05-12-2002, 12:57 PM

I've been thinking about your post. And, well let me throw something up in the air & you shoot at it - Right now, to you, the engine is dead - you can't hurt it by working on it. This could be a good chance for you to get under the hood and get your hands dirty. The only way to learn is hands on. So maybe you could find out what went wrong. If it is a lifter or a valve maybe get a head from a junkyard - if you get it running you could drive it to the shop to get the motor swapped instead of having it towed. If it's dead you aren't gona hurt it. Does it still turn over - can you do a compression check?
Old 05-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Supreme Member

Engine: LH0 3.1L
Originally posted by 83MaroSC
I can get a 5spd 88 Z28 for about a 1000..but I dont know what to really do with this camaro..its been sitting in my garage for couple of months now..

should I get the z28 or a 3.1L installed?
There was no official "Z28" in 1988.
Old 05-12-2002, 07:27 PM

hmm I dunno..I looked like a z28..what can I say..well I thought it was the timing chain and it wasnt..the timing chain is fine....I dont even know where the lifter is..do I have to pull the engine out to get to it....I would love to work on the problem myself..I am just afraid that I am gonna pull all this stuff out and I wont know where everything is and how it goes back together..
I assume its a lifter cause I heard a ticking noise everytime I accelrated and then it just died..it all happened in one day..
Old 05-13-2002, 05:33 AM

I've been thinking about your post. And, well let me throw something up in the air & you shoot at it - Right now, to you, the engine is dead - you can't hurt it by working on it. This could be a good chance for you to get under the hood and get your hands dirty. The only way to learn is hands on. So maybe you could find out what went wrong. If it is a lifter or a valve maybe get a head from a junkyard - if you get it running you could drive it to the shop to get the motor swapped instead of having it towed. If it's dead you aren't gona hurt it. Does it still turn over - can you do a compression check?
that sound like a great idea for u.. u SEEM to not know much about engines.. go get a chiltions or (cant hink of the othre brand rite now.. im too drunk..).. that will tell u how to take apart ur engine.. to get to the lifters, take off ur....

air cleaner
distrubuter
egr
valve covers
carb
intake manifold

u will see 6 sets of 2 push rods (2 sets of 3 on each side).. the lifters are on the botton of the pushrods (they are what actually "pushes" them)..

-mike (loomdog)
Old 05-13-2002, 06:47 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.7 V8 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5-Speed Manual
83MaroSC

Where in Canada are you? I'm asking cause I have an '87 2.8 engine you can have, needs intake & an oil pan.... maybe you could make one good engine from the two? It ran great but a rock went thru the oil pan & I decided to go V8.

BTW I'm in BC
Old 05-13-2002, 09:24 AM
Supreme Member

My 211,500 mile S-10 Blazer engine died.
It finally made chocolate milk from the bad head gasket.
I swapped heads, etc.
Made it "move across street " easier.
I recently extracted the engine from my Blazer as I'm installing a 3.4 under the S-10 Blazer 2.8 stuff.
My dead 2.8 had TONS of debris at the oil pan, that got sucked into the oil pump screen causing 0 pressure w/in 5 minutes. The driver head had other stuff (particles of something, not metal) in the valve area.
I felt I did a good job.
These little 60* engines, when they die, are dead.
Age, milage, looseness of machined parts, make tehm useless to band aid.
I learned the hard way (my wasting my time/effort). Yet, my purpose worked out ok.
I was able to move truck to avoid street sweeping tickets w/o pushing.
THE ONLY WAY, to make a dead 60* V-6 engine good, is to completely remachine it & then rebuild.
Again, I found out the hard way.
Wanna learn,
Accept it's dead and find a Cost effective replacement to slip under hood.
UNLESS ya hear that engine, you are taking a chance.
Unless you buy the used engine from a repetuble person. I'm buying my second used running 3.4 from the same wrecking yard I got my 85 Firebird (1995) 3.4 from.
It's a tough choice, make sure you try for the BEST return on your effort you can!
Including education.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:12 AM

ok..I tihnk I have made up my mind..I am gonna have a rebuilt 3.1 installed in my car..I have th emoney now..and I might as well do it..right now its not about speed right now its aobut having a car to get to work with and get around in.. I have pretty good connection when it comes to body parts of the camaro..cheap prices for aftermarket parts..
where I canada am I...Mississauga.. thats near toronto.. anyhow..maybe next year I will think about swapping engines or just selling this camaro once it looks better and buying the new one..A v8 maybe..who knows..
Old 05-13-2002, 12:42 PM

Back to my orignal question. Will the engine turn over when you try to start it????
Do you have an AutoZone or such autoparts place around?
Old 05-13-2002, 09:18 PM

the car tries to start..its like if the battery was dead and the car wouldnt start.. I had a ticking noise about for a day..and every time I accelrated it would get louder..oil was dirty..had some dirty in it when I got the car..only got to drive the car two dayts before it broke down..
Old 05-14-2002, 12:20 AM

Ticking noise - not good. A bomb makes a ticking noise before it explodes - so does a motor. If your engine would crank over I'd suggest you do a compression check - thats where you take out a spark plug and screw in a pressure gage in its place - crank the motor a few, and read the gage. Why learn to do this? becouse a good way to check the 'Health' of an engine. Before I buy a (used) car, its one of the things I check. If it is a lifter or a valve that cylinder will have no compression. Is your battery down or it just tries to crank and can't?
Old 05-14-2002, 01:15 AM

battery is fine..car died while I was driving..well..stopped at a red light..(was on my way to a mechanic..). funny thing is thought..do I require a special tool to get he plugs out..cause I tired using a long socket and it wouldnt fit..
another thing I wanted to ask was that are there proformence header for my v6 engine?
Old 05-14-2002, 01:23 AM

oh also what is the better choice the 2.8 or 3.1 the 3.1 is about 50 bucks more..I am just wondering if the 3.1 will attach to all my other engine parts without no problem..
Old 05-14-2002, 09:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Yeah, 3.1 will bolt up, you might have to make carb adjustments though for the larger engine. Actually you might have to do the same for an 85-up 2.8, since the stock cam is more aggressive.

What kind of ticking noise? Could it be a loose/arcing spark plug wire?
Old 05-14-2002, 09:42 AM

I'm using a 16mm long socket on my spark plugs.

Like TomP said the 3.1 will bolt up - but many people on the v6 board prefer the 3.4, if you can get one.
Edelbrock makes a 2 piece manifold that will work - here is a quote from an old post -

"the edelborck manifolds are sold as 2 pieces.. a bottom and top.. there are also 2 diff top pieses 2bbl w/ egr and 4bbl w/o egr.. thats probably y the pic looked funny when u looked at it.. it defiently sicks out when u look at it compared to the stock manifold..

the edelbrock intake manifolds will work any ANY 60* v6 (2.8-3.1-3.4) "
Old 05-14-2002, 10:20 AM
Supreme Member

You're wondering~
another thing I wanted to ask was that are there proformence header for my v6 engine?
NO
oh also what is the better choice the 2.8 or 3.1 the 3.1 is about 50 bucks more
Edelbrock manifold FOR THE MONEY IN THIS 60* APPLICATION IS A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY, unless you own the matching 4-bbl & the expensive holley carb.
If ya get this Holley & edelbrock set up for next to free, then by all menas grab it.
SPEND THE MONEY ON REBUILING YOUR ORIGINAL CARB INCLUDING REBUSHING THE THROTTLE PLATE.
Rebuild distributor, it's so easy.
Runt eh best fresh air intake you can devise & make an efficent exhaust.
Don't race it, you won't win.
Well, you MAY get lucky.
Don't count on it, tho.
Just enjoy the good running engine & the babe next to ya

I'm doing a 3.4 into my 85 S-10 Blazer. Same drivetrain as you.
I do this for economical engine "rebuild".
Try attaining 160HP & 200 foot pound of torque, in a reliable package, for only $800 or less.
Price out a rebuilt/rebuild of the 2.8/3.1's.
For the money, find a used 3.4.
It'll work, perfect!
Promise.
AND when done RIGHT (major key is DETAILS!), it'll be so reliable and enjoyable and economical.
I know. I did this to my 1985 Firebird.
It has a 1995 3.4 in there, under the 1985 induction/ignition system.
And it passes CA smog, EASY.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:58 PM

well I wasnt really doing the engine rebuilt for speed..well..ya..I am lying..lol..Idont know anyone who buts a camaro to just drive..
anyhow..I wanna stick with this car for a few reaons..I just had the front windshield replaced..I just bought a bra for it aswell as z28 suspension.. also the car has t-top and the interior is in mint condition...maybe when I am done collage I will get a v8 and work on that..but for now..I have to do with this one..
will the 4.3 bolt right in as well?
because what I think the shop is doing is rebuilting my 2.8 into a 191ci... using a 191 camshaft and whatever else..(I might be wrong cause I dont know that much about cars yet)
anyhow..I want to get the most out of the v6 that I can.. and since I got some cash to spend on the engine I might just get a 4.3 if I can find one..
any suggestions?
PS I dont think its a loose spark plug acuse I can get any out..lol..they are all nice and tight in there..
Old 05-15-2002, 04:26 AM

Originally posted by GhostRider84
Edelbrock makes a 2 piece manifold that will work - here is a quote from an old post -

"the edelborck manifolds are sold as 2 pieces.. a bottom and top.. there are also 2 diff top pieses 2bbl w/ egr and 4bbl w/o egr.. thats probably y the pic looked funny when u looked at it.. it defiently sicks out when u look at it compared to the stock manifold..

the edelbrock intake manifolds will work any ANY 60* v6 (2.8-3.1-3.4) "
i think thats the first time someones quoted me on here.. it feels good..

will the 4.3 bolt right in as well?
4.3.. no.. its a 90* v6 (basically a sbc v8 missing 2 cylinders)
3.4.. thats what ur looking for.. YES it will just drop in and bot up.. just about everyting will bolt up to it.. 2.8/3.1/3.4 are all 60* v6 - heads/cam/distributor/intake/and many other things will all swap between them..
Old 05-16-2002, 12:23 AM

so doesnt matter what I drop in..2.8 3.1 or 3.4...they will all fit right in..no mods or nothing needed?
Old 05-16-2002, 04:26 AM

read the tech article on the 2.8-3.4 swap boogie.. that will have MOST of the answers ur looking for.. the only exception will be ull need an electric fuel pump and u will have to use the exhaust manifolds from ur 2.8 if u have smog there..

the whole idea w/ the 3.4 swap is to make ppl think u stil have ur stock 2.8 under the hood.. once ur done w/ the swap ull never know the difference (by looking at it anyways), but ull sure fill it (100hp lc1 2.8 - 160hp l32 3.4)..

-mike (loomdog)
Old 05-16-2002, 08:31 AM
Supreme Member

I wrote the Tech article thread
Because I did the 2.8->3.4 long block swap boogie.
So can you.
Old 05-17-2002, 10:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1983, 1986
Engine: 2.8 2bbl, 2.8 MPFI
Transmission: 200C 3 speed, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.42
The problem you are describing sounds as if it's not as bad as it could be. I think what may have happened was a rocker arm came off of it's stud. They way you described how it died may be a spark problem. I would check for spark first and get the motor to start. Then I would shut it off and remove the valve covers to see if a rocker arm came off. If all of the rocker arms are secure, then I would look at changing the motor. A little preliminary investigating may save you a bunch of $$$