V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

TomP's Major Tune-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 04:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Camaro Z28
Engine: LU5 - Crossfire 305
Transmission: 200c - 3 Speed Automatic
TomP's Major Tune-up

TomP's Major Tune-up Info: 3rd Gen (82-92) F-Body Series

Here's the Major Tune-up stuff - this covers alot more than a garage would do for you and it'll wind up to be cheaper (or at least the same price)! First, buy a Haynes 82-92 Camaro or Firebird manual (cost about $15-20). Or, the ultimate manual, GM Service Manual available from http://www.helminc.com (cost about $60-90).

Replace: Distributor cap/rotor, spark plug wires (use aftermarket), spark plugs, air filter (K&N is one of the best), PCV valve, fuel filter, engine oil & filter, automatic transmission fiuld & filter or manual transmission gear lube (consuilt ur shop manual on type of fuild ur transmission needs) and rear axle gear lube (use limited slip additive if required). Check and reset the TV cable if you have an automatic transmission. Do a lube job and get an alignment done (car will go faster "easier" if the front wheels are straight). Buy a can of "Intake and Throttle Body Cleaner for Fuel Injected Engines" by Gumout (yellow or gray can w/ a red cap), and follow the can's instructions to clean your intake. DO NOT USE CARB/CHOKE CLEANER!! It removes the protective coating fuel injected engines have. Put a bottle of injector cleaner or my "red magic" (STP Gas Treatment) into a full tank of good gas.

It's also a good idea to replace your coolent, check your brake, p/s and other fuild levels, check your belts, check your brakes, check your radiator hoses.

Call Summit Racing @ 1 (800) 230-3030, or goto their website http://www.summitracing.com (the website isnt as through as the catalog tho) for a free catalog, then you can pick and choose a spark plug wire set and get your K&N air filter(s). You won't find any parts for the 2.8L 173ci v6 - you need to call them for part #/availability..

I could not find this when i searched for it, and i happened to have to printed out, so i just retyped it for everyone here thats need searching for it..
Old 05-01-2002, 10:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Haha, thanks for the repost; what did you search for? I searched for "major tuneup" and found a bunch of messages. Did you put the dash between tune and up?

Here's the updated one, not too much changed, just some info for "new" car people:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Tom P's Major Tuneup Info: 3rd gen (82-92) F-body series

Here's the Major Tuneup stuff- this covers alot more than a garage would do for you, and it'll wind up to be cheaper (or at least the same price)! First, buy a Haynes 82-92 Firebird (or 82-92 Camaro) manual.. they're about $15 from any auto parts store. I like them alot better than the Chilton's manuals (which aren't what they used to be 25 years ago). And of course, the ultimate manual is the GM Service Manual, available from http://www.helminc.com - I paid about $60 for mine back in 1994.

Replace: Distributor cap/rotor, spark plug wires (use aftermarket), spark plugs, air filter (use K&N replacements), PCV valve, fuel filter, engine oil/filter, auto trans fluid/filter (or manual trans gear lube), and rear axle gear lube (use limited slip additive if required). Check and reset the timing to stock specs (in Haynes manual). Check and reset the TV cable if you have an automagic (in Haynes manual). Do a lube job and get an alignment done- the car will go faster "easier" if the front wheels are straight. Buy a can of "Intake and Throttle Body Cleaner for Fuel Injected Engines" by Gumout (yellow or gray can, with a red cap), and follow the can's instructions to clean out your intake. DO NOT USE CARB/CHOKE CLEANER- this removes the protective coating fuel injected engines have. Put a bottle of injector cleaner or my "red magic" (STP Gas Treatment) into a full tank of good gas.

It's also a good idea to replace your coolant, check your brake fluid level and p/s fluid level, check the belts, and check your brakes while you're at it.

Call Summit Racing at 800-230-3030 for a free catalog, then you can pick and choose a spark plug wire set and get your K&N air filter(s). (You can also find this stuff through their website, at http://www.summitracing.com , but it's not as thorough as the catalog.) When you leaf thru the catalog, you WON'T SEE any parts listed for a 2.8l v6 - you need to call them and ask them for part #'s/availablility. (Same goes with exhaust, etc.) If you're like me, and can't want to wait for the catalog in the mail, call them and order one anyway! Then, go to their website, at http://www.summitracing.com , look up their ignition wires, decide on a brand, and give them a call for a part # and price.

But definately do a tuneup first... you'll see the best improvment from the "fun" parts when your car is in good running condition.

-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l)