Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

locker? posi? spool? WHICH ONE?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
locker? posi? spool? WHICH ONE?!?

putting together my 9 inch rear (finally), and was just wondering on opinions on which piece to go with: a detroit locker or posi?

the car is driven on the street frequently in the summer, as well as at the track. therefore a spool was ruled out in favor of the other 2. my concern with the locker is that a buddy has one in his 9" rear and it is one LOUD ****! the clicking noise gets annoying fast. which unit will give me better results in terms of performance? which would be better on an almost-daily-driven car? which do u guys think is better overall?? any and all opinions welcome.

thanks

Damien

(i really should get around to making my sig soon...)
Old 04-13-2002, 08:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 Buick GN
Engine: 3.8L (231 cid) V6
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt G80/ 3.42
Re: locker? posi? spool? WHICH ONE?!?

Originally posted by 5L EaTeR
my concern with the locker is that a buddy has one in his 9" rear and it is one LOUD ****! the clicking noise gets annoying fast. which unit will give me better results in terms of performance? which would be better on an almost-daily-driven car?
I'm running a Detroit locker in my 9" and I like it...I'll never go to a limited slip again. Had an Auburn before but it started to do the 'one wheel peel'...as you know if you burn those up you're SOL because you can't rebuild them. Since you're going with a stout rearend you might as well put in a locker.

To me it isn't as loud and unstreetable as everyone says they are. It's hardly noticeable, maybe once in awhile you'll hear it click in parking lots and stuff, but my opinion of streetable and noisy maybe different from yours. From a performance standpoint (well, drag racing anyway) the locker is the way to go. I drive my car everyday, rain or shine, with my Nitto drag radials and I haven't wrecked my car because of my "unstreetable" locker and drag radials. Just don't get too crazy on the street and you'll be fine.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-13-2002, 11:55 PM

Car: T/A / Grand Am
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: glide
Axle/Gears: 9" ford 5.67
Re: locker? posi? spool? WHICH ONE?!?

Originally posted by 5L EaTeR
putting together my 9 inch rear (finally), and was just wondering on opinions on which piece to go with: a detroit locker or posi?

the car is driven on the street frequently in the summer, as well as at the track. therefore a spool was ruled out in favor of the other 2. my concern with the locker is that a buddy has one in his 9" rear and it is one LOUD ****! the clicking noise gets annoying fast. which unit will give me better results in terms of performance? which would be better on an almost-daily-driven car? which do u guys think is better overall?? any and all opinions welcome.

thanks

Damien

(i really should get around to making my sig soon...)
I like the eaton limited slip units. They will last a long time provided same size tires are used. My 77 T/A had 57000 miles on it when I change the gear. The posi clutchs looked like new. So I bought an eaton for my GTA. Only thing you can do with an auburn when they get worn is throw them away.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:06 PM

how bout a switchable system like ox locker or air locker that way you'd have not just the best of both worlds but each whole world. I'd really like to get the ox locker for my car heh and truck too.