Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Installing a Tranny cooler...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
Installing a Tranny cooler...

OK so i'm about to install a transmission cooler. I plan on using the biggest cooler i can fit in there that comes w/ threaded fittings. The perma-cools look good and have 3/8 pipe inlet / outlets.
I planned on cutting the factory hard line into the factory cooler and single flaring that and using braided hose to run to the cooler.

questions:
- The factory cooler lines are 3/8, right?
-There won't be any issues of using a single flare will there? I'd like this to make it easy to interface the braided line
- Any other suggestions on parts /hook-up / mounting?

Also, anybody ever use a remote cooler kit, similar to summit PN BMM-80277? Thinking of running this too to get more capacity into my tranny w/ the vigilante (may or may not run a deep pan, i have it but i don't like 'em)
Old 04-10-2002, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 firebird,mint
Engine: 305 tbi,lots of work done
Transmission: 700-r4 built by level 10 in nj
Axle/Gears: 3.73, auburn , precision
not sure what you mean by single flare

i got the stock metal lines with a pipe cutter and hooked em up to the rubber lines that come with the kit........i got the perma cool cooler with a fan , mounted it infront of the radiator, piece of cake just had to remove the safety hood latch so i installed hood pins
Old 04-10-2002, 07:07 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got the duel cooler w/fan by permacool. i used 3/8npt to 3/8 flare (i think) and ran it to a remote filter, then 3/8npt to flare again. i tihnk factory lines are 5/16 and i think you ought to stick with the double flare, i did
Old 04-10-2002, 07:10 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ed do you happen to have a pic of us that was took at the track in richmond? sort of a posed gag pic? i thought pam took one but i can't find it, red doesn't seem to have one, i know several people took pics of us.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:55 PM

what are you guys talking about when ya say flare? maybe you have diff setups but the stock metal line fit right inside of the rubber hoses on the cooler........am i missing something here?
Old 04-10-2002, 11:46 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
Originally posted by wasp
what are you guys talking about when ya say flare? maybe you have diff setups but the stock metal line fit right inside of the rubber hoses on the cooler........am i missing something here?

WASP,

The flare part is a piece on metal line that has been mushroomed out to form a partial seal and prevent the line from pulling out of the fitting.

Ed,

I would suggest since your getting a large cooler, bypassing the radiator tank completly. I know when I swaped in the 16 pass cooler I actually gained 1 full quart capacity over the pint the radiator cooler holds and it lowered the water temp quite a bit.

SSC
Old 04-11-2002, 09:57 AM

plenty of movement in those lines i doubt if you tightened the clamp correctly it would pull out but ok..............and yes i had to add about a 1/2 quart of atf.........and i got rid of the stock rad, it works overtime trying to cool both fluids ..........
Old 04-11-2002, 01:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
Originally posted by wasp
To expand further on SSC, i do not want to have a single piece of my tranny cooler lines that isn't bulletproof. In the last few months alone i know of 3 people that have lost transmissions either b/c a cooler line came loose or a hose simply broke. I drive way too far, way too often to risk losing something so critical and expensive to something as dumb as a hose failure. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when the rubber line will fail, and by o'toole's corroloary it will happen when i'm 600 miles from home drag racing...
Thus, i will pay the extra money and do it once the correct way with fittings and braided line.

As for single vs. double flare, is there a reason GM used double flare on those besides just be make interfacing braided line a pain? I honestly don't know the reasons why you'd use one over the other, and since i own a single flare tool from doing my FP guage sender, i figured i'd put it to use again. I have access to a double flare tool though, i just hate to use them if it involves extra adapters to get me in/out of braided line.

As for the remote filter and i'm really leaning towards using that as well. I was planning on building the cooler / filter as a hard unit w/ tube / pipe and whatever bracing to make it solid. Then just adapt the flare on both ends of that. Save some coin that way since i have 3/8 NPT on the filter and cooler.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:20 PM

ah i know what ya mean now,ya makes sense to me......where can ya get these flaring tools at?